Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? (588 Views)

Is It Right To Share House Chores Between Husband And Wife? Bamisepeters' Blog / Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? / Can You Marry A Lady That's Richer Or More Educated Than You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ok, i have a cousin who is 27, the father is a big time millionaire, now, this my cousin has 4 other siblings who are all graduates, but he is an SSCE holder. Given that he was not too 'bright' academically, the father had him join the family business when he was 20, this guy speaks and writes English almost as good as the best, speaks fluent French, and has traveled to at least 10 countries outside Africa, and doing extremely well for himself, at 27.
I remember about 5 years ago when i was discussing this my cousin with a friend, and my friend told me that the best thing my cousin will do is to get an education first. And this got me thinking, at what level can we say that one is educated? what exactly is education? does it mean that without 'conventional education' that one will most likely be doomed? is it right to say that all university graduates are educated? is it also right to say that anybody without tertiary institution qualification is not educated?

mods please i need people's opinion
i had to move this to this section , maybe the mods can take notice of it here
Re: When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? by feldido(m): 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2015
When u can read and write
Re: When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? by dadarupees(m): 12:42pm On Jul 13, 2015
feldido:
When u can read and write
jst dat?
Re: When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? by feldido(m): 12:46pm On Jul 13, 2015
dadarupees:
jst dat?
Yes, we have the formal and non formal education...and from the post I'll say the guy is formally educated being that he has an SSCE. And he is also non formally educated because he learnt the family trade.

To me the guy is educated.

1 Like

Re: When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2015
feldido:

Yes, we have the formal and non formal education...and from the post I'll say the guy is formally educated being that he has an SSCE. And he is also non formally educated because he learnt the family trade.

To me the guy is educated.
i absolutely concur, my problem is that the Nigerian society makes one think that without tertiary education then one is not educated. the moment u discuss education with sm1, the first question is 'where did you graduate from'? are you a graduate? then i wonder, even if i'm not a graduate, and so?
i dont know about you guys, but i think that 'education' is overrated in Nigeria
Re: When Exactly Is It Right To Call One 'educated"? by BuddhaPalm(m): 7:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
7Alexander:
Ok, i have a cousin who is 27, the father is a big time millionaire, now, this my cousin has 4 other siblings who are all graduates, but he is an SSCE holder. Given that he was not too 'bright' academically, the father had him join the family business when he was 20, this guy speaks and writes English almost as good as the best, speaks fluent French, and has traveled to at least 10 countries outside Africa, and doing extremely well for himself, at 27.
I remember about 5 years ago when i was discussing this my cousin with a friend, and my friend told me that the best thing my cousin will do is to get an education first. And this got me thinking, at what level can we say that one is educated? what exactly is education? does it mean that without 'conventional education' that one will most likely be doomed? is it right to say that all university graduates are educated? is it also right to say that anybody without tertiary institution qualification is not educated?

mods please i need people's opinion
i had to move this to this section , maybe the mods can take notice of it here

The root word for education is educo (Latin). It means to Educe: to draw out; to develop from within.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Freak Moment Chinese Woman Smashes Brand New $100,000 Car / Why Not Try God This Way... It Is Your Turn To Have Your Children / 3years Old Girl Embarrass Her Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.