Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,363 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity (3071 Views)

Ojogbane Adegbe Explains His Role In N10b Gift For PDP Chiefs- The Nation / Buhari Orders EFCC To Probe Ex Service Chiefs,Serving & Former Military Leaders / Buhari Names New Service Chiefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by gratiaeo(m): 3:55am On Jul 16, 2015
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari sacked service chiefs inherited from the former President Goodluck Jonathan ad­ministration last Monday, and replaced them with new ones. The new appointees, who are coming on board in acting capac­ity until they are confirmed by the Senate are: Major-Gen. Abayomi Gabriel Olon­ishakin, Chief of Defence (Staff); Major- Gen. Tukur Y. Buratai, Chief of Army Staff and Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, Chief of Naval Staff. Others are Air- Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar, Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan, Chief of Defence Intelligence and Maj.- Gen. Babagana Monguno (rtd.) as National Security Adviser.

The appointments, which are expected to rev up the war against terrorism and possibly reform the military, have been received with mixed feelings by Nigeri­ans, especially the Igbo nation, which is not represented in the appointments.

While the appointment of service chiefs is well within the rights of the president, the absence of any officer of Igbo extraction among the appointees is generating consternation in Igbo land. Although the president alluded to the fact that the appointments are based on merit, this exclusion of the Igbo indicates that they are not representative of the ethnic composition of Nigeria. In the appointments and others made by the president since he assumed office on May 29, there is a glaring distancing of the Igbo ethnic group, either from the South-East or South-South.

This unsalutory development will not augur well for an administration that was voted in on its mantra of change. The ex­clusion of the South East in the president’s appointments, so far, is also contrary to Section 14 (3) of the Nigerian Constitu­tion, which provides that “the composi­tion of the Government of the Federation or any of its agencies and the conduct of its affairs shall be carried out in such a manner as to reflect the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote na­tional unity, and also to command national loyalty, thereby ensuring that there shall be no predominance of persons from a few states or from a few ethnic or other sec­tional groups in that government or in any of its agencies.”

The composition of the new service chiefs cannot be said to reflect adherence to federal character, as stipulated in the Constitution. The poor representation of the Igbo at the upper echelons of the Nigerian military has, for decades, sign­posted their continuing marginalisation in many areas of national life.

Since the end of the Nigerian Civil War in 1970, very few Igbo citizens have been appointed as service chiefs in the country. Vice Admiral Alison- Madueke briefly held the position of Chief of Naval Staff, while Lt. Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika also only served as Chief of Army Staff in Good­luck Jonathan’s government for a short period before he was relieved of the ap­pointment. Mr. Ogbonnaya Onovo was ap­pointed Inspector General of Police for a brief period during Umaru Yar’Adua re­gime, while Ambassador Thomas Aguiyi- Ironsi was the Minister of Defence for a short time during the regime of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Aside these tokens, the Igbo have not really been taken into the mainstream of Nigerian military in terms of appoint­ments since the end of the civil war. Po­litically, the South East appears to have been emasculated to the extent that no­body from the area has been considered capable of being trusted with the leader­ship of any of the arms of the military for a reasonable period.

This tends to suggest that Igbo are not considered worthy of being entrusted with military power, or trusted by Nige­ria’s leaders, past and present. But, we know that this is not the case with Presi­dent Buhari. He is a well known lover of the Igbo ethnic group and the absence of the Igbo in the recent appointments is more likely to be an oversight on the part of his administration, and should be cor­rected in his future appointments.

Naturally, all major appointments ought to take cognizance of our ethnic diversity and ensure some measure of balance and sensitivity in ethnic representation. We say this considering the fact that the Igbo is one of the major ethnic groups in the country like the Hausa and the Yoruba. Short-changing the ethnic group in these appointments does not bode well for Ni­geria’s unity.

With these appointments, there is no doubt that most Igbo will rightly feel that the tribe has not been forgiven for tak­ing part in the Nigerian-Biafran war, over four decades after the end of hostilities. The earlier gains made through the ap­pointment of Madueke, Onovo and Ihe­jirika now seem to have been reversed. The continued distancing of the Igbo in the nation’s top security composition is not only symptomatic of marginalisation, it may be interpreted as an unconsciona­ble orchestrated alienation.

The exclusion of this major ethnic na­tionality from the national power equa­tion will not augur well for a government that has equity and fairness to all parts of the country as part of its mantra.

This inexcusable oversight should be corrected in subsequent appointments by the president. As a friend of the Igbos and somebody that has had a good relation­ship with notable Igbo leaders, we believe that it is not too late to make amends in future appointments.

All the same, we congratulate the new service chiefs and urge them to discharge their duties with utmost dedication. No, doubt, the war on terrorism is still on course and the results so far show that there is still much to be done. With the appointment of the new Chief of Defence Intelligence, there is no doubt that the war on terrorism will naturally assume a new dimension, with more verve and im­petus. Those involved in the war against the insurgents must of necessity up their game on intelligence, which to a large ex­tent has not been sufficiently deployed.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/service-chiefs-the-igbo-and-case-for-fairness-equity/

1 Like

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by bigtt76(f): 4:16am On Jul 16, 2015
People should please understand this recent appointment was made with a sole purpose of using the locals to fight off Boko Haram scourge. BH is a product of Borno states, who is in a better position to fight this than one who hails from there? Putting an igbo or Yoruba man there would be of no use. Try and understand this is a wartime appointment and not peacetime. sad

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by azzima(m): 4:17am On Jul 16, 2015
See them crying now. I thought all igbos want is Biafra Let's stay consistent here.

11 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by dahaz(m): 4:30am On Jul 16, 2015
The service chiefs that were sacked is there an igbo man? why didnt you cry and wail during jonathans time?..SMH

15 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by makzeze: 4:31am On Jul 16, 2015
Igbos sorry ehn.

3 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by ofala(m): 4:32am On Jul 16, 2015
I don't really understand these sorts of baseless ethnic or rather myopic criticism.

The Service Chiefs, as presently appointed are done to every extent; with National interest

I particularly hail President Buhari for appointing a thorough professional and disciplined soldier (Gen Buratai) as the Army 'Chief'.

His days at code: Sector 2 (Pulo Shield) a-la 2nd brigade, as Commander and his pristine records are glaring.

Amongst others, these present service chiefs were all appointed on merit.

11 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Blackfire(m): 4:35am On Jul 16, 2015
A STORM IS COMING.....
Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Gravanno: 4:37am On Jul 16, 2015
But it's ok for another ibo man to replace another as super eagle's coach?

Ibos are the most tribalistic animals out there.

25 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by equlibrium(m): 4:38am On Jul 16, 2015
Hahahaha...
Laffing in fulani
Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Gravanno: 4:44am On Jul 16, 2015
ofala:
I don't really understand these sorts of baseless ethnic or rather myopic criticism.

The Service Chiefs, as presently appointed are done to every extent; with National interest

I particularly hail President Buhari for appointment a thorough professional and disciplined soldier (Gen Buratai) as the Army 'Chief'.

His days at code Sector 2 (Pulo Shield) a-la 2nd brigade as Commander and his pristine records is glaring.

Amongst others, these present service chiefs were all appointed on merit.

You don't have to stress yourself reasoning with these neanderthals. When Sunday Olise replaced Stephen Keshi we didn't see them wailing. They Can keep crying for all I care.

I pray they have their Biafra before December, I can't imagine any more agony than having to live with these cancerous growths.

14 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by indeed123: 4:50am On Jul 16, 2015
One minute they want Biafra Nation and the next minutes the Nigeria president is not being fair to the igbo. What is it that you people want. You hate Yoruba people so much but you can't stay away from Nairaland. A website and hardwork of a Yoruba man.

19 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by kazmanbanjoko(m): 4:57am On Jul 16, 2015
Itz okay by me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Nobody: 4:58am On Jul 16, 2015
This thing is fast becoming nauseating. You claim the SS are your brothers in a biafran struggle, yet you are not happy a rivers man got appointed.

What if they weren't any credible ibo man for the job?

You claim boko haram is a northern problem that they should deal with it. Now that they have appointed mostly northerners, you kicked against it.

When they took boko haram prisoners to the east, you rejected it. Now that they have given appointments to fight boko haram, you want in. You only want to share in the gains of nigeria and not its pains.

It's either the ibos do not reason or they are just irritants.

This attitude of being irritants will bring you pains o.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Nobody: 5:02am On Jul 16, 2015
I love this narrative except on one area. The Igbo does not need any manner of forgiveness from Nigerian on their civil war role.

1 Like

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by vicadex07(m): 5:08am On Jul 16, 2015
THE RECENTLY SACKED MILITARY CHEIFS, WERE THERE IGBOS AMONG THEM?

WHY DIDNT THEY WAIL ABOUT IT DURING JONATHANS REGIME?

8 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by tayoxx(m): 5:09am On Jul 16, 2015
Must everything be based on tribe in Nigeria..who ever can do the job should be appointed biko..

2 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by gists: 5:13am On Jul 16, 2015
But sometimes people should be consistent with their claims and what they want.
On one hand, their is this call for cessation. People wanting to leave Nigeria and form their own country called Biafra. The next minute this same people complain at the slightest opportunity to register their displeasure about not being carried along within the appointees of the Nigerian government - a country they so much desire to leave.

On one hand they claim Biafra encompasses the whole of SS and SE. While the veracity of that claim is subject of another debate, one would think they will at least be pacificed that "one of their sons" Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas who hails from Cross River State is now the new the new Chief of Naval Staff - appointed by president Buhari.
But what do we have, this same people now complain yet again that they are yet again marginalised by Nigera. This cast serious shadows of doubt about the sincerity of those saying SS should join the Biafra bandwagon. It is of course left to the people of SS to determine which way is best for them.

They claim they developed Lagos and so deserve to have a good representation in the Lagos government. But when we point out their son within the cabinet of the government of Lagos, they yet again claim Igbokwe does not represent the interest of Ndigbo in Lagos. The question I keep asking is, is it until the Obi or Nnamdi Kanu is appointed by Lagos or FG that they'll be pacified?

I am definitely not in the business of advising people and it is certainly not my business, but I guess for any group to be taken seriously, they need to be consistent with what they want/claim.

They should take a lesson from man they so much hate with passion - Jagaban Tinubu- who refused to join the ruling party from inception and now his consistency has paid off for him. If history is anything to go by as a pointer, I bet by 2018, we will see some people from SE calling for Buhari to continue as the life president. Just as we saw with Abacha, OBJ and GEJ

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by omoelesa(m): 5:23am On Jul 16, 2015
Tufiaka!! U Wont Get Any Tangible Appointment Under The Admisration Of PMB.why are u people this confuse.1.U Want Biafra 2.U Want appoitment under PMB government u hate and detest so much. Biafra Is The Way To go.When U Have Ur Biafra U Can Become Anything U Wants To Become.Yeye

8 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by alaoeri: 5:23am On Jul 16, 2015
Igbos are not Nigerians but Biafrans so they shouldn't complain, they should channel their grievances to the new leader of Biafra emperor Nnamdi Kanu. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by midolian(m): 5:30am On Jul 16, 2015
Gravanno:
But it's ok for another ibo man to replace another as super eagle's coach?

Ibos are the most tribalistic animals out there.

I love this. Especially the emboldened

Igbos will complain even when Buhari slaughters 3 goats from the north for sallah. You know, Buhari should have slaughtered @ least an igbo goat. Its unfair angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Nobody: 5:34am On Jul 16, 2015
Hmmn.. I personally think Igbos shud stop this "we are bein victimized" mentality of theirs becos we all know all these service chiefs were appointed based on merit..

They shud stop playing victim already.. There are many igbos in power in this country they call a Zoo.. #OneLove #GodBlessIgbos #GodBlessNigeria

BTW..Listen to dis freestyle by me..

http://my.notjustok.com/track/24670/

1 Like

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Nobody: 5:38am On Jul 16, 2015
park well

1 Like

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by gists: 5:40am On Jul 16, 2015
Gravanno:

You don't have to stress yourself reasoning with these neanderthals. When Sunday Olise replaced Stephen Keshi we didn't see them wailing. They Can keep crying for all I care.

I pray they have their Biafra before December, I can't imagine any more agony than having to live with these cancerous growths.
You see what this people are doing to us? Now you remind me that Olise replaced Keshi. But I just remember that Keshi himself replaced Siasia; Siasia took over from Augustine Eguavoen. The north and the west did not complain all this while. Quite possibly, Olise will hand over to Dan Amokachi or Nnankwo or Okocha grin grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Kastonkastroll(m): 5:54am On Jul 16, 2015
I have said it before, ibos are the most confused tribe in the world. grin

Today they want Biafra, tomorrow they want to hold every position in the Nigeria government.

shidimma, shijoke, shiamaka, come and see how confused your tribesmen are cheesy
shocked

7 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Jorussia(m): 5:57am On Jul 16, 2015
The Igbo nation is indeed unfairly marginalized by the Nigeria state,as regards federal appointments.

2 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by kishimi8(m): 6:00am On Jul 16, 2015
gists:
But sometimes people should be consistent with their claims and what they want.
On one hand, their is this call for cessation. People wanting to leave Nigeria and form their own country called Biafra. The next minute this same people complain at the slightest opportunity to register their displeasure about not being carried along within the appointees of the Nigerian government - a country they so much desire to leave.

On one hand they claim Biafra encompasses the whole of SS and SE. While the veracity of that claim is subject of another debate, one would think they will at least be pacificed that "one of their sons" Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas who hails from Cross River State is now the new the new Chief of Naval Staff - appointed by president Buhari.
But what do we have, this same people now complain yet again that they are yet again marginalised by Nigera. This cast serious shadows of doubt about the sincerity of those saying SS should join the Biafra bandwagon. It is of course left to the people of SS to determine which way is best for them.

They claim they developed Lagos and so deserve to have a good representation in the Lagos government. But when we point out their son within the cabinet of the government of Lagos, they yet again claim Igbokwe does not represent the interest of Ndigbo in Lagos. The question I keep asking is, is it until the Obi or Nnamdi Kanu is appointed by Lagos or FG that they'll be pacified?

I am definitely not in the business of advising people and it is certainly not my business, but I guess for any group to be taken seriously, they need to be consistent with what they want/claim.

They should take a lesson from man they so much hate with passion - Jagaban Tinubu- who refused to join the ruling party from inception and now his consistency has paid off for him. If history is anything to go by as a pointer, I bet by 2018, we will see some people from SE calling for Buhari to continue as the life president. Just as we saw with Abacha, OBJ and GEJ

You just echoed what was on my mind.
They say SS are their brothers, yet someone from the SS gets appointed and they complain. There are many ethic groups in nigeria that are not crying about appointments, you dont hear an igala man crying nor a tiv or jukun or even fulani??.

I pity south south people wallahi.. any tribe that follows igbos into biafra should be ready to be marginalised and treated as second class citizens

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by fulanimafia: 6:03am On Jul 16, 2015
Jorussia:
The Igbo nation is indeed unfairly marginalized by the Nigeria state,as regards federal appointments.

The Igbos placed a horrible and naive bet and lost woefully. The kind of bloc hate votes they cast against PMB and the ruling party cannot be ignored no matter how long people try to play ostrich for.

It is also unfair to President Buhari to expect him to compromise his government with people who neither gave him their mandate, believed in his ability to govern, or even believe in the prosperity of Nigeria.

This is aside from the fact that the appointments were merit-based.

5 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by gratiaeo(m): 6:21am On Jul 16, 2015
Back in 2013 it was Yorubas wailing uncontrollable about marginalisation in federal appointment, now they are calling others name for doing the same thing.
Yorubas Decry Marginalisation in Federal Appointments -Chief Olu Falae
Tunde Sanni

The Yoruba nation yesterday reviewed the lopsidedness in elective positions and appointments made at the federal level, and concluded that the region has been shortchanged.

Speaking under the aegis of Yoruba Unity Forum (YUF) in a press conference addressed by former Secretary to the Federal Government (SFG), Chief Olu Falae, the forum remarked that President Goodluck Jonathan has been unfair to the region in the sharing of federal offices.

The conference, which had the Vice-Chairman of the forum, Rev. Bolanle Gbonigi, in attendance, tasked Jonathan to consider the interest of the region in any other top federal appointments.

According to the group, the Yoruba people are being systemically shortchanged in the distribution of entitlements under the Jonathan administration and thus being deprived of their rights to equality of treatment.

The group asserted that the complaints about the systematic marginalisation of the Yoruba nation cannot be equated by Jonathan to the usual cries of marginalisation from all geo-political zones.

The group, which backed the Yoruba nation’s complaints with annexture lamented that no Yoruba indigene was ranked in the 12 topmost positions that constitute the apex of the political power hierarchy in the country.

“Thus, the absence of any Yoruba at the top of the political hierarchy has consequential effect on the Yorubas in respect of appointments and job security throughout the federal service,” they argued.

The group noted that all the 12 positions listed at the apex of the power hierarchy are elective, “hence the president could have filled at least one of the purely appointive ones with a Yoruba of his choice to accommodate the federal character principle.”

The group reminded that the Yoruba votes at the 2011 presidential poll, more than any other part of the country gave the Jonathan election credibility and universal acceptability.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/yorubas-decry-marginalisation-in-federal-appointments/138685

1 Like

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by StOla: 6:24am On Jul 16, 2015
Shut your mouth.

People like you have said you do not need his appointments on several occasions.

I'm happy Buhari does not feel the need to grow your ego.

Stick to your votes that are now transferred to Otuoke.

Buhari must not work with traitors and seperatists.

Wailing babies!

3 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by Super1Star: 6:29am On Jul 16, 2015
This is the reason why no one will. Ever take this wailing bush babies serious.

Set of confused human beings.

When appointment is not in their favour, they will be shouting meritocracy as if they voted for one in their homeland of Biafra. Ndukwe, Ngige, Otti, Soludo etc readily come to mind. Another minute they will be shouting no igbo man was appointed whether he is the most qualified or not, as if they are the only ones in the country. What should a Jukun, Efik, Annag, Berom, Bariba, Nupe, Itshekiri people etc say?

PMB said he appointed based on merit, just as we have always known him for right from his military days. He should now bend his principle because of some confused group of wailing wailers. Never.

2 Likes

Re: Service Chiefs, The Igbo And Case For Fairness, Equity by StOla: 6:30am On Jul 16, 2015
This tends to suggest that Igbo are not considered worthy of being entrusted with military power, or trusted by Nige­ria’s leaders, past and present.

OP, I believe you already answered the questions raised.

You've been weighed, you've been measured, you've been found wanting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Independent Biafra Will Not Be A Viable Country - Stratfor Report / Nairalander Pictured With Bill Gates & Osinbajo At Dangote's Daughter's Wedding / How Do Other Non-igbo Nigerians Feel About Igbos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.