Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser (5206 Views)

$30m Spent On President Buhari's Health By National Security Adviser & NIA - SR / Suspended N.I.A Boss Hid $43M Found In Lagos From Buhari & Security Adviser / Why was national security Meeting Held By Buhari Involve Only Northern Security? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:18am On Jul 16, 2015
The NSA is an acronym of National Security Adviser, one of the powerful and influential offices in government. Its role is very strategic and cannot be over-emphasized.

Buhari’s appointment of General Babangana Moguno as the National Security Adviser left one wondering whether the NSA is specially reserved for the northern part of the country just like its erstwhile predecessor the National Security Organization (NSO).

Decree number 27 of 1976 established the NSO by the military regime of General Olusegun Obasanjo, and was dissolved in July 1986 by the General Ibrahim Babangida regime. It had four Director-Generals throughout the 10years it existed. All four DGs were Northerners.

They were Abdulahi Muhammed (1976-79), Umaru Shinkafi (1979-83), Muhammed Rafindadi (1983-85) and Aliyu Gusau (1985-86). Technically the NSO was more or less Northern Security Organization.

Before Muhammadu Buhari took over the reins of power from Dr.Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, a total of five appointments and four people were made to occupy the office National Security Adviser since the return of civil rule in 1999. Three of the four were from the North with just one from the Southern part of the country.

They are…

1. Gen Aliyu Gusau (rtd) from Zamfara state (1999-June 2006)

2. Gen Abdullahi Sarki Mukhtar (rtd) from Kano state (June 2006-March 2010)

3. Gen Aliyu Gusau (rtd) from Zamfara state (March 2010-September 2010)

4. Gen Iwoye Azazi(rtd) from Bayelsa state (2010-2012)

5. Col Sambo Dasuki rtd from Sokoto state (2012-July 2015)

The naming of Borno state born Brig-Gen Babangana Moguno by President Muhammadu Buhari brings to question whether the office is specially reserved for Northerners or Northern Muslims? The question that bug my mind, is it wrong if President Buhari appoints a southerner into the office of the NSA?

Over the years, the south has produced fine and respectable men who by any standard are more than qualified to be appointed into that office. We have Rtd Colonel Kayode Are a former DG DSS under President Olusegun Obasanjo administration, who also served as “Deputy” NSA between April 2010 and October 2010 under Dr.Goodluck Jonathan.

There arre ex-Chief of Defense Staff Paul Dike and Oluseyi Pintirin. Ex-Chief of Army Staff Alexander Ogbemudia and Azubuike Ihejirika. We also have Ex-IGPs Musliu Smith, Ogbonaya Onovo and Mike Mbama Okiro from among the pool of brilliant retired military and police officers from the South.

Would it be a sin for any of these men to be appointed NSA? Even if the position is the exclusive of the north, must the candidate be a Northern Muslim? What happens to Non-Muslim northerners like the distinguished and globally celebrated Gen Martin Luthar Agwai?

Personally, I don’t believe in tribalizing or “regionalizing” political offices and I won’t indulge in that. But I believe that it is fair for the present government and succeeding ones to seriously look at the northernised office of the National Security Adviser so that Nigerians will not mistake the office to be “Northern Security Adviser”. Nigeria must get things right so as to give everyone a sense of belonging.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 16, 2015
This article authored by me was first posted in the Opinion column of FCT Post, an online news agency. (www.fctpost.com/2015/07/16/nsa-before-it-becomes-northern-security-adviser/)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 16, 2015
great
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 16, 2015
barcanista:

barca u don first book space

d lord is good

1 Like

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 16, 2015
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by dayo23(f): 11:22am On Jul 16, 2015
barcanista:
The NSA is an acronym of National Security Adviser, one of the powerful and influential offices in government. Its role is very strategic and cannot be over-emphasized.
Buhari’s appointment of General Babangana Moguno as the National Security Adviser left one wondering whether the NSA is specially reserved for the northern part of the country just like its erstwhile predecessor the National Security Organization (NSO).
Decree number 27 of 1976 established the NSO by the military regime of General Olusegun Obasanjo, and was dissolved in July 1996 by the General Ibrahim Babangida regime. It had four Director-Generals throughout the 20years it existed. All four DGs were Northerners.
They were Abdulahi Muhammed (1976-79), Umaru Shinkafi (1979-83), Muhammed Rafindadi (1983-85) and Aliyu Gusau (1985-86). Technically the NSO was more or less Northern Security Organization.
Before Muhammadu Buhari took over the reins of power from Dr.Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, a total of five appointments and four people were made to occupy the office National Security Adviser since the return of civil rule in 1999. Three of the four were from the North with just one from the Southern part of the country.
They are…
1. Gen Aliyu Gusau (rtd) from Zamfara state (1999-June 2006)
2. Gen Abdullahi Sarki Mukhtar (rtd) from Kano state (June 2006-March 2010)
3. Gen Aliyu Gusau (rtd) from Zamfara state (March 2010-September 2010)
4. Gen Iwoye Azazi(rtd) from Bayelsa state (2010-2012)
5. Col Sambo Dasuki rtd (2012-July 2015)
The naming of Borno state born Brig-Gen Babangana Moguno by President Muhammadu Buhari brings to question whether the office is specially reserved for Northerners or Northern Muslims? The question that bug my mind, is it wrong if President Buhari appoints a southerner into the office of the NSA?
Over the years, the south has produced fine and respectable men who by any standard are more than qualified to be appointed into that office. We have Rtd Colonel Kayode Are a former DG DSS under President Olusegun Obasanjo administration, who also served as “Deputy” NSA between April 2010 and October 2010 under Dr.Goodluck Jonathan.
There were ex-Chief of Defense Staff Paul Dike and Oluseyi Pintirin. Ex-Chief of Army Staff Alexander Ogbemudia and Azubuike Ihejirika. We also have Ex-IGPs Musliu Smith, Ogbonaya Onovo and Mike Mbama Okiro from among the pool of brilliant retired military and police officers from the South.
Would it be a sin for any of these men to be appointed NSA? Even if the position is the exclusive of the north, must the candidate be a Northern Muslim? What happens to Non-Muslim northerners like the distinguished and globally celebrated Gen Martin Luthar Agwai?
Personally, I don’t believe in tribalizing or “regionalizing” political offices and I won’t indulge in that. But I believe that it is fair for the present government and succeeding ones to seriously look at the northernised office of the National Security Adviser so that Nigerians will not mistake the office to be “Northern Security Adviser”. Nigeria must get things right so as to give everyone a sense of belonging.
Okay, I must confess I agree with you on this. But room for argument must come in
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by dayo23(f): 11:22am On Jul 16, 2015
Brb to comment
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by psalmizt(m): 11:23am On Jul 16, 2015
Barcanista Barcanista Barcanista

How many times did I call you

Please Please and Please

Do not feed the minds of cretins...

This is not a narrative for the now

Too many divisive points out there already
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by phlemzy: 11:25am On Jul 16, 2015
Oga barca, fine you made an observation, but do you think its appropriate at this time to appoint someone from SS,SE,or SW for this office?

2 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by zik4ever: 11:26am On Jul 16, 2015
Please that post is reserved! Same for FCT Minister and a few others. "We" must reclaim the Agriculture ministry which the last administration dared to take out to the South West. To a large extent, "we" may also not willingly concede Defence, Finance and Petroleum. No vex with "us" after all it’s all about merit and competence!. Does it matter where they come from? It’s just a coincidence that this time, most of the most competent ones come from "our" side. Just bear with "us" for now.

1 Like

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by babajero(m): 11:28am On Jul 16, 2015
I think it is high time northerners war cannot be won only by force but by reasoning
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:29am On Jul 16, 2015
Wailing wailer, is NSO not what later metamophosed into DSS? Is Ita Ekpeyong, an Efik, not the immediate past DG of DSS? When Andrew Azazi was the NSA did the north complain?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:29am On Jul 16, 2015
dayo23:
U again? Well am ready for u! Let me charge my batter first
Just before you edit your comment to insult him instead of factually negating the issue at hand, just know I'd hound you with the most scathing vitriols like a haggard meerkat while you are it.

The write-up is as factual as the recounts of the Hiroshima bombing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Moheat(m): 11:30am On Jul 16, 2015
Correction please, IBB was not in government in 1996 may be you meant 1986.
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 16, 2015
phlemzy:
Oga barca, fine you made an observation, but do you think its appropriate at this time to appoint someone from SS,SE,or SW for this office?
it is Very and absolutely appropriate. During the militancy period of Obj and Yar'adua, Aliyu Gusau and Muktar were the NSAs respectively. It doesn't matter whether or not the militancy was in the South South. During the GEJ era the CDS Alex Badeh hailed from Adamawa state yet it didn't stop Boko Terrorists from attacking the state including the hometown of the former CDS. What I'm saying is that we need professionals and that cannot be the exclusive preserve of the North.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Amein(m): 11:34am On Jul 16, 2015
It's high time some people stop thinking with there a**
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Moheat(m): 11:34am On Jul 16, 2015
I know wisdom when I see one. Thumbs up Barcanista

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by lionduke(m): 11:35am On Jul 16, 2015
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 16, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Wailing wailer, is NSO not what later metamophosed into DSS?
You should be reading rather than swimming in ignorance. The NSO was dissilved into NIA, SSS and DIA. The now NSA coordinates all these agencies.

6 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by bigtt76(f): 11:36am On Jul 16, 2015
We can't conclude that there were more competent hands overlooked or not. Let's not politicize military appointments for God's sake.

3 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by donholy28(m): 11:39am On Jul 16, 2015
Yup...d seat has been handed over to d boko brothers... who hand it over from one boko to another

1 Like

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by sebali: 11:39am On Jul 16, 2015
Even though i agree with ur claim, I must say dat u re a biased human being. Wen Jona ur guy made a northerner(Dasuki) NSA, u didnt come 2 say dis y are u trying 2 mak buhari look bad.

3 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:42am On Jul 16, 2015
barcanista:
You should be reading rather than swimming in ignorance. The NSO was dissilved into NIA, SSS and DIA. The now NSA coordinates all these agencies.
Rubbish! Wake up from your dyslaxia.

1 Like

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by temitemi1(m): 11:54am On Jul 16, 2015
Prof Barcanista, I must confess it is a privilege meeting a wonderful person like u. I have learnt a lots from u sir!

5 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Whynotthetruth(m): 11:55am On Jul 16, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Wailing wailer, is NSO not what later metamophosed into DSS? Is Ita Ekpeyong, an Efik, not the immediate past DG of DSS? When Andrew Azazi was the NSA did the north complain?

As a carpenter you always and only see everything as nailundecided

5 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by temitemi1(m): 11:56am On Jul 16, 2015
No NL without barcanista! I salute ur wisdom always my prof!
barcanista:
it is Very and absolutely appropriate. Gen Aliyu Gusau was the NSA during the militancy period of Obj and Yar'adua, Aliyu Gusau and Muktar were the NSAs respectively. It doesn't matter whether or not the militancy is in the South South. During the GEJ era the CDS Alex Badeh from Adamawa state yet it doesn't stop Boko Terrorists from attacking the state including the hometown of the former CDS. What I'm saying is that we need professionals and that cannot be the exclusive preserve of the North.
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 16, 2015
Moheat:
Correction please, IBB was not in government in 1996 may be you meant 1986.
Thank you sir! Correction made.
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Whynotthetruth(m): 11:57am On Jul 16, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Rubbish! Wake up from your dyslaxia.

Was that post a lie or you're ashamed of taking correction and learning because of your overbloated ego

8 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:00pm On Jul 16, 2015
sebali:
Even though i agree with ur claim, I must say dat u re a biased human being. Wen Jona ur guy made a northerner(Dasuki) NSA, u didnt come 2 say dis y are u trying 2 mak buhari look bad.

And who says he must be the one to say everything?...Don't you have a functional brain and active vocal cavity with mobile arms?

5 Likes

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:01pm On Jul 16, 2015
bigtt76:
We can't conclude that there were more competent hands overlooked or not. Let's not politicize military appointments for God's sake.

It is a political appointment rather...Note that no region has monopoly of professionals if anything at all other regions have more compared to the north...

1 Like

Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by LordMecuzy(m): 12:01pm On Jul 16, 2015
Continue To Rest GEN Azzazi

PDP is Bokoharam and Bokoharam is PDP---Azzazi

We all know what happened to u after that statement... too bad
Re: NSA: Before It Becomes Northern Security Adviser by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
Just before you edit your comment to insult him instead of factually negating the issue at hand, just know I'd hound you with the most scathing vitriols like a haggard meerkat while you are it.

The write-up is as factual as the recounts of the Hiroshima bombing.

gringringrin SonofMark is here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

WHY AMAECHI IS A GONER (INTEGRITY GROUP DEFENSE AT THE SENATE) / Breaking News:Fayose Fights Ecobank Dirty,Ecobank Leaves Ekiti For Now..photos / How The North Is Underdeveloping Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.