Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,782 members, 7,831,524 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert (1335 Views)

5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know / To All Nairalander N NL Car Dealers Pls Stop D Unusual High Cost Of Car / Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 16, 2015
Please this is a true story which happened just few days ago. My friend advertised a car for sale and put the price at N2,700,000.00. A prospective customer called and was given directionson how to get to where the car was parked. He checked the car and informed my friend that he was heading to the bank to make payment and that she should assemble the documents ready for collection as soon as payment is made. Shortly after that an alert came to my friend's phone and a few minutes after the alert the customer came and the car plus all the documents were handed over to him and he left. To my friend's greatest shock, she went to the bank and could not find any money and the bank said that the alert did not come from them. My friend is planning to take her bank to court. The advice is that alert is no longer an acceptable bank confirmation of payment.

Please let's all be careful when doing transactions especially in this technology crazy generation. I believe he hacked into her account using the personal details she gave him. Pls re-broadcast.

3 Likes

Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by ayogabriel(m): 11:45am On Jul 16, 2015
It could be this 3rd party bulk sms kind of thing, knowing the bank you are operating, and they know how the sms are sent, so all they needed to do was to compose a customised text, change the sender name to your bank, and wholla!!! U have enter one chance, taking the bank to court may lead to a dead end, only and only if, someone from bank did fake the sms, which the can track by your network information

3 Likes

Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by libertyfather(m): 11:45am On Jul 16, 2015
Not new method, but like they've gone so deep into the method, I suggest people should activate their mobile banking as well to make further enquiry

1 Like

Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by colossus2: 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2015
The sms wasn't from your bank. Na customised bulk sms be that.
Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by davodyguy: 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2015
If you're using an android Phone, its very easy.

Banks send sms in a trail and thread form. Meaning all previous messages appears sequencially and if a fress one appears as a new message outside the thread, you should suspect foul play.

Better, do online banking through mobile App

7 Likes

Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by bravolad(m): 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
I would say the lady is not smart. There are so many ways to confirm the genuineness of the message. First, did the alert also show current balance in her account? She should know her balance prior to the transaction. If that is the case, then there's a connivance with the bank staff.

It is also surprising that in this day of internet and mobile banking, she could not verify that the money is intact before parting with the said car. It is also very easy for the fraudster to have utilize bulk sms portal/system to send the sms which will obviously displays as coming from the bank. Even if any of these methods is not used to verify the authenticity of an sms, it makes a lot of sense to go to any nearest branch of the bank with the buyer. I bet you at this point, the buyer will be reluctant to go, which is a red flag for any business transaction. Yet another option would have been to call her account officer to verify. Please, don't tell me the cliché "I do not know my account officer....."

In any case, she's solely responsible for her actions as the bank cannot indemnify her except there's an insiders' information as regards the exact amount in her account at the time the sms came in corresponding to what she has in the bank in addition to the false payment.

Usually when selling a car, the best option is usually to proceed to the bank with the buyer. Payment is confirmed there and then, before documents are transferred. As a matter of fact, it sounds unreal but then, funny things happen daily

3 Likes

Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by Readonee35L(m): 3:40pm On Jul 16, 2015
This is not new na
Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by reaky(m): 4:46pm On Jul 24, 2015
That's a learner in d making
I bet you that was her fist car deal angry
Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by sonnie10: 3:27am On Jul 25, 2015
why didn't she check her account balance by either ATM, phone call, going to the nearest branch or by Internet.
Re: To All NL Car Dealers: New Scam Method Using Bank Alert by digitsolution: 5:06pm On Jul 25, 2015
I would say the lady is not smart. There are so many ways to confirm the genuineness of the message. First, did the alert also show current balance in her account? She should know her balance prior to the transaction. If that is the case, then there's a connivance with the bank staff.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With This Car? / Accident: Trailer Hit's Police Armored Car In Aba / Pls Advice Needed: Best Wagon For Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.