Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,284 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before (2119 Views)

Share Some Myths You Heard While Growing Up / If You've Not Receive Any Of These From Your Mom Trust Me, You're Adopted / What Are The Weirdest Things You've Seen Your Kids Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 11:40pm On Jul 16, 2015
No worries okay, you probably have heard them before. smiley

So, I would be sharing a very important technique in queens phonetics, called Elision. Elision simply means "reducing syllables of a word" - a very common technique in British phonetics (but not as common in the American).

As shown below, the vowels in round brackets are elided (deleted), so don't pronounce them. Here's what I mean:

"Reducing three syllables to two"

Dang(e)rous ---- dain'j ross (not "den jor ross" )
Rig(o)rous ---- rig ross
Vig(o)rous ---- vig ross
Prosp(e)rous ---- prosp ross
Clang(o)rous ----- clang ross

"Reducing four syllables to three"

Mem(o)rable ---- mem ray bool
Fav(ou)rable ---- fave ray bool
Comf(or)table ---- comf tay bool
Sav(ou)rable ----- save ray bool
Comp(a)rable ---- comp ray bool
Mot(o)rable ---- moht ray bool

"Reducing words ending with (......oring)"

*from three syllables to two

Spons(o)ring ---- sponce rin
Cens(o)ring ---- sence rin
Ment(o)ring ---- menť rin
Past(o)ring ---- pasť rin
Tut(o)ring ---- chewť rin
Fact(o)ring ---- facť rin
Sect(o)ring ---- sekť rin

"Reducing words ending with (......ouring)"

Flav(ou)ring ---- flave rin
Flav(ou)ry ---- flave ri
Disfav(ou)ring ---- dis fave rin
Sav(ou)ry ---- save ri
Unsav(ou)ry ----- on save ri
Sav(ou)ring ---- save rin
Endeav(ou)ring ---- en dev rin

"Reducing words ending with (........ate)"

Elab(o)rate ---- ee la brayt
Choc(o)late ---- chuck layt
Dec(o)rate ---- dek rayt
Discons(o)late ---- dis conz layt
Elect(o)rate ---- ee lekť rayt
Cons(o)lation ---- conz lay shun
Num(e)rate ---- n'uym rayt
Protect(o)rate ---- pro tekť rayt
Conglom(e)rate ---- con gloam rayt
Confed(e)rate ---- con fej rayt
Desp(e)rate ---- desp rayt

"Reducing words ending with (......sonal)"

Pers(o)nal ---- pes nol
Interpers(o)nal ---- in teh pes nol
Non-pers(o)nal ---- non•pes nol
Seas(o)nal ---- cease nol

"Reducing words ending with (.......gory)"

Categ(o)ry ---- cah ti gri
Subcateg(o)ry ---- sub cah ti gri
Alleg(o)ry ---- ahh li gri
Amphig(o)ry ---- am fi gri
Phantasmag(o)ry ---- fan tas may gri

Other examples of elision

Mem(o)ry ---- mem ri
Fam(i)ly ---- fam li
Lit(e)rally ---- li tra li
Norm(a)lly ---- norm li
Prob(a)bly ---- prob li
Perj(u)ry ---- pej ri
Inj(u)ry ---- Inj ri
Febr(ua)ry ---- feb ri
Cam(e)ra ---- cam raa
Strawb(e)rry ---- strawb ri
Prep(a)ratory ---- prep ray tri
Collab(o)ration ---- co lab ray shun
Org(a)nisation ---- org ni za shun

The alternate American pronunciations to these words are equally correct, but for the sake of this discuss, we limit our focus to Queens pronunciations (British).

I hope you learned something useful. Feel free to make contributions. God bless, and have a good night!

*Follow "phonetikkks" for more lessons.

Can check my previous threads as well...
https://www.nairaland.com/2454505/speak-correct-english-all-toothpaste
https://www.nairaland.com/2450443/fine-madam-oga-why-bad

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Mathewa(m): 11:42pm On Jul 16, 2015
ok
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 16, 2015
Great orals
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by angieberry(f): 12:21am On Jul 17, 2015
^^^^^^
Great oralks indeed embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 9:47am On Jul 17, 2015
Freemanan:
Great orals

Lol thanks.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2015
Following you bumper to bumper
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 12:39pm On Jul 17, 2015
Adufetohposh:
Following you bumper to bumper

Nice.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 8:37am On Jul 18, 2015
angieberry:
^^^^^^
Great oralks indeed embarassed

Lol
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by kurlarday: 10:03am On Jul 18, 2015
Helpful.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by cococandy(f): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2015
Phonetikks, is the queen paying you to teach us English? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by juman(m): 11:02am On Jul 18, 2015
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 12:47pm On Jul 18, 2015
cococandy:
Phonetikks, is the queen paying you to teach us English? cheesy

Lol only if she can afford me wink
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by damesilver(m): 11:55am On Jul 20, 2015
The alternate American pronunciations to these words are equally correct, but for the sake of this discuss, we limit our focus to Queens pronunciations (British).

I hope you learned something useful. Feel free to make contributions. God bless, and have a good night!

*Follow "phonetikkks" for more lessons.

Can check my previous threads as well...
ht/fine-madam-oga-why-bad[/quote][/b]
m-oga-why-bad[/quote]

I appreciate the good work the OP has started here, and your humble disposition to corrections from sincere contributors. No one knows too much to learn anew.

Please don't mind my asking for clarification here. In the above quoted text of yours, should it be ''....but for the sake of this discuss or discourse?''

I also observed that the bracketed letters are vowels; can this be taken into cognizance which may help us in pronouncing others words of same lexical rhythm?

Thank you.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 3:59pm On Jul 20, 2015
damesilver:

You are correct, "discourse" is actually what I meant but my phone keeps auto-correcting words. Thanks for calling my attention.

On the vowels in bracket:

If you are familiar with English rules then you would realise that some rules only apply to certain words (context), hence "generalising" wouldn't always suffice.

Although "elision" applies to many other words (that share similar format as those enlisted ìn main post), there still would be rule benders/exceptions. So, elision does follow a "rhythm" but not in every case.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by damesilver(m): 11:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
Thanks. Could you please recommend books that teach more on this subject! And if you've written any unpublished material as well, I wouldn't mind exploring them.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by veave(f): 3:37am On Jul 21, 2015
Thanks honey. Very e(j)-cay-tive

Hope I got it right.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by deewhone(f): 5:16am On Jul 21, 2015
Educating...but saying these in public, jst 2 find people lookn @ each other, thinkn you are wrong
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 7:45am On Jul 21, 2015
deewhone:
Educating...but saying these in public, jst 2 find people lookn @ each other, thinkn you are wrong

Well that's their problem, not yours. Ignorant people always think they are right, but it's only because they know nothing. Stay informed and thank me later.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 7:48am On Jul 21, 2015
veave:
Thanks honey. Very e(j)-cay-tive

Hope I got it right.

You are welcome.

*err ju cay tive
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Akposb(m): 7:53am On Jul 21, 2015
Well done Op.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by pretydiva(f): 8:41am On Jul 21, 2015
Nice 1 op. Dis will go a long way 2 help me. Cos I luv phonetics alot smiley
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Houseofglam7(f): 9:18am On Jul 21, 2015
Still looking for the 'applause ' emoticon
embarassed

I need to clap for you na
embarassed
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by veave(f): 9:35am On Jul 21, 2015
Phonetikkks:

You are welcome.

*err ju cay tive

Okay
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 11:19pm On Jul 21, 2015
pretydiva:
Nice 1 op. Dis will go a long way 2 help me. Cos I luv phonetics alot smiley

You welcome anytime.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 11:20pm On Jul 21, 2015
Akposb:
Well done Op.

Thanks.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 11:20pm On Jul 21, 2015
Houseofglam7:
Still looking for the 'applause ' emoticon
embarassed

I need to clap for you na
embarassed

Lol....Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 7:54pm On Nov 06, 2015
Hope this thread has been helpful...
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by JustOzito(f): 9:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
Phonetikkks:
Hope this thread has been helpful...
It was really helpful... Tnks for sharing
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by babyfaceafrica: 11:21pm On Jan 31, 2016
Are u a linguist?
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 7:27am On Feb 01, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Are u a linguist?

Not quite. More a lover of correct spoken English.
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by babyfaceafrica: 7:30am On Feb 01, 2016
Phonetikkks:

Not quite. More a lover of correct spoken English.
I am one....I love your topics,I would appreciate if you could post more....nice one!!!
Re: Pronunciations You've Not Heard Before by Phonetikkks: 7:40am On Feb 01, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
I am one....I love your topics,I would appreciate if you could post more....nice one!!!

Thanks for complimenting. Do you follow me? Follow 'phonetikkks' for updates.

(1) (Reply)

Life Of Married Men In Kano (sabon-gari) Prt 1 / Itinerary:nairalander's Cultural Tour To Ghana Tagged "Nairalander's Cruise". / Incest In The Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.