Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria (5653 Views)

Nigerian Invent Weed Driven Solar Power Production / HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. / Ideas On Wind Mill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Queed: 2:14pm On Jul 18, 2015
deniyor:
One important factor in setting up a power plant is the 'ready' availability of resources needed to run the power plant. So for a country like Nigeria, in its current state, most of the sources you have listed are a pipe dream.
Due to lack of safety inherent in our systems and lifestyle, one does not need to tell you that any nuclear plant should not be considered at all. I have worked in both power plants and a uranium mine before. Trust me, nothing can make me work in a nuclear plant. Even if all safety mechanisms are introduced. Yes they work, but when things go wrong, the really go wrong. Think Japan a year or two ago. I know someone who was there at the time.
Hydro would work. But apart from river Niger and Benue, where are we going to put another dam for a hydro station. Building a dam isn't cheap either.
Green form of power plants like wind and solar are nice. Problem is they can never be a reliable total source of power supply. They only augment what is existing. Not as reliable given how much resources it might take to build them.
One old tried and trusted system? Coal fired Power plant. Nigeria has abundance of coal. There is abundance of water. If we are worried about coal emissions, google the ICCS project - Integrated Carbon Capture and Storage aka clean coal. Its operational now.

[b] This dude just said my mind

Forget that atomic batter, at least for now, I don't think it has been fully utilized in any country(I may be wrong tho.) , so its not coming to 9ja any time soon grin Even the cost is not encouraging..

Putting power plants in every street isn't much of a good idea (especially in this part of the world) it would be better building one for each local govt. perhaps, one for each state. This way, once there is a fault or breakdown somewhere, the whole state/local govt. will be affected and there would be quick and effective responsiveness to the situation(no be; 'Watin consign us, shebi we get light for our street gringrin )

Solar/wind energy aren't bad idea, but when an average Nigerian hear the cost of a standard solar unit, he would zoom off to the nearest mechanic to buy a fairly used or near death gen set cheesy cheesy

am a fan of quantum physis, but forget anything 'radio activit in your backyard' or 'radio activity in your pocket' for now cheesy
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 2:28pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
cry See as you dey enjoy PC . . . cry
Wey God dey nah . . . I dey expect my own nah. cry
Lool...bet u get android na...me no get! Shey u see Life?
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:

Lool...bet u get android na...me no get! Shey u see Life?
LOL . . I would trade my android for a laptop anyday. grin
That grass is GREEN!
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 2:38pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
LOL . . I would trade my android for a laptop anyday. grin
That grass is GREEN!
Hmmm...don't worry doc. U'll get one someday wink
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:

Hmmm...don't worry doc. U'll get one someday wink
YES O!

1 Like

Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Blakjewelry(m): 3:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
Strike off number one, nuclear power should only be used in space exploration. The best is solar power, the most efficient way is to trap the energy of the sun and use it to run a turbine. I think investors should look at that angle.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:
Strike off number one, nuclear power should only be used in space exploration. The best is solar power, the most efficient way is to trap the energy of the sun and use it to run a turbine. I think investors should look at that angle.
that would mean the northern side would be greatly utilized.

1 Like

Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Blakjewelry(m): 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
that would mean the northern side would be greatly utilized.
Yeah especially with the desert terrain, but it can still work in the south. The molten substance is stored in heat preserving tank to prevent heat loss, and can be used even when the sun is down or on cloudy day.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Yeah especially with the desert terrain, but it can still work in the south. The molten substance is stored in heat preserving tank to prevent heat loss, and can be used even when the sun is down or on cloudy day.
er . . . I think I would prefer it if the energy was actually stored in batteries, as opposed to molten liquid. I find the latter cheaper. smiley
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Blakjewelry(m): 5:00pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
er . . . I think I would prefer it if the energy was actually stored in batteries, as opposed to molten liquid. I find the latter cheaper. smiley
What is your obsession with battery sef, battery are not for large scale electrification. Besides fuel cell will give you what you want once it become fully operational.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:

What is your obsession with battery sef, battery are not for large scale electrification. Besides fuel cell will give you what you want once it become fully operational.
but storing molten liquid . . . think if the cost and risk!

I'm a big fan of fuel cells tho. smiley
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Feraz(m): 5:16pm On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:
Now call me Old skool or what u like, but I'm a good fan of Solar Energy!
I mean...what better way of generating power other than the most Natural and the most safest of all...especially with the amount of sunlight we receive a day!

For me...we shouldn't wait for the government, to power a small house with solar energy is not more than #30,000 .
Now calculate all the NEPA bills u've paid...is it not running to hundreds of thousands? Why not just make it a House priority/project ->getting our own energy!

If the government wants to help, they can build large solar panels that would act as a Transformer for each street (but u'll still pay bills tongue).
Ermm...hello, how did you arrive at the cost that to power a small house isn't more than #30000? Good evening BTW!

OP, interesting topic. For your analysis on the consumption of power, I think Netotse and Xdos may help.

For the issue of generation of power using fusion, there's a project currently going on now called 'Project ITER'. I'm still hoping to start a topic on that. Should hopefully come back with my proposal or idea on this interesting topic.

Missed this section BTW! Love how y'all are keeping this place alive.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2015
Feraz:
Ermm...hello, how did you arrive at the cost that to power a small house isn't more than #30000? Good evening BTW!

OP, interesting topic. For your analysis on the consumption of power, I think Netotse and Xdos may help.

For the issue of generation of power using fusion, there's a project currently going on now called 'Project ITER'. I'm still hoping to start a topic on that. Should hopefully come back with my proposal or idea on this interesting topic.

Missed this section BTW! Love how y'all are keeping this place alive.
thanks a lot!
I am definitely going to research on the listed. Welcome back.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Feraz(m): 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
thanks a lot! I am definitely going to research on the listed. Welcome back.
Tell me what you think when you're done. Thanks btw
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Blakjewelry(m): 7:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
but storing molten liquid . . . think if the cost and risk!

I'm a big fan of fuel cells tho. smiley
It is a one time investment, it is safe. The heated substance is channel off into the heat storage tank that is shielded from both radiating or conducting heat outward. It is channel off from the tank when needed.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:

It is a one time investment, it is safe. The heated substance is channel off into the heat storage tank that is shielded from both radiating or conducting heat outward. It is channel off from the tank when needed.
are you certain that this technology is feasible?
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Blakjewelry(m): 7:25pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
are you certain that this technology is feasible?
I was having the thought but found out it is already in use in us and other countries though in a large scale.
If I have the resources I would try to achieve it in a small scale by using lenses to concentrate the sun ray instead of using large area for collecting solar energy.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:

I was having the thought but found out it is already in use in us and other countries though in a large scale.
If I have the resources I would try to achieve it in a small scale by using lenses to concentrate the sun ray instead of using large area for collecting solar energy.
I was thinking of concave mirrors.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Blakjewelry(m): 7:33pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
I was thinking of concave mirrors.
That has being in use in some design but it will require more space. But set of lens will cause more intensity and less space
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:

That has being in use in some design but it will require more space. But set of lens will cause more intensity and less space
hmm. I see.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by deniyor: 9:02pm On Jul 18, 2015
One important factor in setting up a power plant is the 'ready' availability of resources needed to run the power plant. So for a country like Nigeria, in its current state, most of the sources you have listed are a pipe dream.

Due to lack of safety inherent in our systems and lifestyle, one does not need to tell you that any nuclear plant should not be considered at all. I have worked in both power plants and a uranium mine before. Trust me, nothing can make me work in a nuclear plant. Even if all safety mechanisms are introduced. Yes they work, but when things go wrong, the really go wrong. Think Japan a year or two ago. I know someone who was there at the time.

Hydro would work. But apart from river Niger and Benue, where are we going to put another dam for a hydro station. Building a dam isn't cheap either.

Green form of power plants like wind and solar are nice. Problem is they can never be a reliable total source of power supply. They only augment what is existing. Not as reliable given how much resources it might take to build them.

One old tried and trusted system? Coal fired Power plant. Nigeria has abundance of coal. There is abundance of water. If we are worried about coal emissions, google the ICCS project - Integrated Carbon Capture and Storage aka clean coal. Its operational now.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Feraz(m): 9:04pm On Jul 18, 2015
Blakjewelry:

Will I imagine it better with the use of a magnifying glass and concentrating the rays from the sun through the glass to heat water or say a burn up a nylon?
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2015
deniyor:

brilliant insight. But robinhez insists on personal power production modules.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 10:39pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
brilliant insight. But robin hez insists on personal power production modules.
If we're to use solar power...
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by deniyor: 12:05am On Jul 19, 2015
Solar is the only personal one I'd recommend. But like everything else, it's got it's pros and cons too.

Less noisy and needs a battery source to store power when the sun is unavailable. High cost to start up.
Not sure how it works in a home but one I had to design and install a week ago had to face a particular direction depending on which part of the hemisphere you are in. If that's the case, you want to make sure your neighbours aren't building sky scrapers next to you grin

Have to be designed for proper capacity too.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Blakjewelry(m): 12:10am On Jul 19, 2015
Feraz:
Will I imagine it better with the use of a magnifying glass and concentrating the rays from the sun through the glass to heat water or say a burn up a nylon?
Using it to heat a special oil to generate steam to power a turbine, and also storing the heat to be use at sundown
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 19, 2015
RobinHez:

If we're to use solar power...
. . . it would be quite expensive. lipsrsealed
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 19, 2015
Queed:

[b] This dude just said my mind

Forget that atomic batter, at least for now, I don't think it has been fully utilized in any country(I may be wrong tho.) , so its not coming to 9ja any time soon grin Even the cost is not encouraging..

Putting power plants in every street isn't much of a good idea (especially in this part of the world) it would be better building one for each local govt. perhaps, one for each state. This way, once there is a fault or breakdown somewhere, the whole state/local govt. will be affected and there would be quick and effective responsiveness to the situation(no be; 'Watin consign us, shebi we get light for our street gringrin )

Solar/wind energy aren't bad idea, but when an average Nigerian hear the cost of a standard solar unit, he would zoom off to the nearest mechanic to buy a fairly used or near death gen set cheesy cheesy

am a fan of quantum physis, but forget anything 'radio activit in your backyard' or 'radio activity in your pocket' for now cheesy
[/b]
finally . . . cheesy
So . . . everyone seems to begin favour of solar power. The next step is to determine how to make it cost effective.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 1:46pm On Jul 19, 2015
Teempakguy:
. . . it would be quite expensive. lipsrsealed
A once in a lifetime project?

Where u'd only worry abt maintenance??

I haven't gotten my facts yet dats why I haven't contributed fully to the thread...
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 19, 2015
RobinHez:

A once in a lifetime project?

Where u'd only worry abt maintenance??

I haven't gotten my facts yet dats why I haven't contributed fully to the thread...
by expensive, I meant, the amount needed to set the whole thing up.

Petrol generator = 9, 000

Solar power = 60, 000

Imagine!

But still, you are kind of right. I mean, IT IS for a lifetime. shocked shocked

Perhaps if one could do business with it. Allowing people to make 'down payments' and then continue to pay their debts with interest. cheesy

I've gat money on my mind! grin grin
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 2:05pm On Jul 19, 2015
Teempakguy:
by expensive, I meant, the amount needed to set the whole thing up.

Petrol generator = 9, 000

Solar power = 60, 000

Imagine!

But still, you are kind of right. I mean, IT IS for a lifetime. shocked shocked

Perhaps if one could do business with it. Allowing people to make 'down payments' and then continue to pay their debts with interest. cheesy

I've gat money on my mind! grin grin

Exactly my point...so each household can save for the project knowing that they won't have problems after then.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 19, 2015
RobinHez:

Exactly my point...so each household can save for the project knowing that they won't have problems after then.
Of course!

A POWER MORTGAGE!!

so obvious . . . I can believe I didn't get the idea earlier.

Instead of paying in bulk, working up a solution with the bank, one can buy cheap solar power and pay for it at a standard trate and interest. It would benefit both the manufacturer and buyer. smiley

Dude, you're a genius . . . it's just that you are a sane genius. You should join the mad geniuses like us nah . . . nuclear power awaits. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Activate Your SIM For 4G LTE Service: The Fastest Data Connection / Infinix Hot Note Free 2GB Is Back + 250MB Tweaking Imei / Gravity Visualized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.