Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria (5682 Views)

Nigerian Invent Weed Driven Solar Power Production / HELP: Ideas On How To Build A Local Radio Transmitter. / Ideas On Wind Mill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:13am On Jul 18, 2015

Hello there! grin

I think you'll agree with me that the epileptic behaviour of power in this country is absolutely nothing to write home about. And as a scientist, I have an occupational obligation to find a way to solve this problem. And as such, I have been brainstorming recently on how to shape-shift power production to suit Nigerian environments. wink

Queed, RobinHez, johnydon22, blakjewelry, slimzjoe and preboy . . . I suggest you take front seats and provide constructive criticism. wink

I've been hearing rumors of a fuelless generator that supposedly harvests "free energy" from the atmosphere . However, I don't really know how it works. I myself have a schematic for a fuelless generator . . . of my own construction. However, I know it will never work. embarassed

However, there are some legitimate power sources that we can repurpose or redesign. Of course, they may be costly, but we have the money in Nigeria. We're just fans of bushbeating. grin

ATOMIC BATTERY

Of course Robinhez will cross this of the list. cheesy but it is actually one of my favorite energy harvesting techniques. The main concept is rooted in atomic physics. Where charged radiation is shielded with semiconductor junctions. Providing an electron-hole imbalance. Hence sweet, sweet electricity. grin

▶I suggest we use a cylindrical design as opposed to the flat li-on battery like design. It would look like a gas cylinder used in home cooking and would consist of coils of semiconductor material spun around a core. With adequate shielding. When the semiconductor is burned out, specialized officials remove the core and replace it with a new one. It would be extremely safe. And the whole thing can be handled by a private organizations for profit. smiley
▶In addition, I suggest we build warning devices. If the device is leaking . . . and so on . . . perhaps a circuit that is activated by radiation connected to a loudspeaker and LEDs would suffice.
▶also, I suggest making it as a mini plant. To supply an entire home or an entire street at a time. That way, any potential danger would be condensed to a single site. The radiation used in this technology does not travel far and will not harm anyone as long as they do not touch(or hug!) The plant.
▶in case of excess power, it can be easily dissipated by forcing it to electrolyize acidified water. Producing hydrogen and oxygen. Which can then be harvested by officials on a regular basis.
▶finally, we need to incorporate the source. We cannot use a gaseous source. Hence, instead of tritium, I suggest a metal tritide. Perhaps palladium or iodide tritide will suffice.

GEOTHERMAL POWER

The concept of this is that the interior of the earth is very hot. We can trap this heat and convert it into electricity by means of turbine or such.

▶water is currently being used as the fluid which is used to trap the heat. I say why? Carbon(iv)oxide is quite adept at the task. It is a greenhouse gas. Why not kill two birds with one stone? Using our supposed enemy to work for us? As well as reducing it's abundance in nature? angry

SOLAR POWER

The concept behind this is rather simple. Thousands of terrawatts of power continuously hits the earth in form of light. shocked Our hope is to trap and harvest as much as possible of this aboundant source.

▶we can tap energy by using highly efficient solar cell arrays spanning huge distances. I see nothing wrong in having huge poultry farms in flatlands . . . roofed with solar arrays.
▶we can incorporate thermopile technology in order to harvest infrared parts of the spectrum as well. Increasing the efficiency.
▶a mad science project I conceived . . . we can find a way to convert gamma rays into electricity. We can also find a way to manipulate the propagation of gamma rays. This can allow us to tap into background and cosmic rays.

HYDROELECTRIC POWER

in this case,we simply resort to harvesting power from water bodies that possess kinetic energy.

▶I suggest we construct river dams. Although the power output will be rather small, they can service the surrounding area, which would then be removed from the major grid.
▶ I suggest we also tap tidal power. The waves of the sea is nothing to write off. It holds considerable energy. We can tap this to service the surrounding area.
Check this out: [img]http://cbpowerandindustrial.files./2012/02/tidal-power-infographic.jpg[/img]
▶Electrolysis of acidified water. The products will be stored in filling stations to be used as the fuels for the cars of the future.
▶We can as well find a way to heat bodies of water with concentrating mirrors or lenses, using the resulting steam to power turbine. This is a fusion of solar and hydro electricity.
▶We can also develop piezoelectric materials to to convert the kinetic energy if pelting raindrops into electricity.

FISSION AND FUSION

Again, Robinhez bursts out in indignation. His bro wants to kill himself. cheesy cheesy

Fission entails splitting atoms into smaller particles. Energy escaping in the process. Which we can tap. Fusion is the exact opposite. But much more profitable where energy is concerned. I think we can do the following.

▶ develop small modular reactors.
In a nutshell: [img]http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/styles/borealis_article_hero_respondlarge/public/smrInfographic%20long.png?itok=vXKGmBeV[/img]

▶modify particle accelerators to accomplish fusion
▶develop catalyzed fusion. I am in favour of muon catalyzed fusion.
▶cold fusion is currently a pseudoscience concept. But, I am of the opinion that it it worth looking into.
▶research into chain reaction antimatter production.

I believe of steps are taken towards this . . . and more . . wink
We can end up producing twice our needed power supply in the next decade. That's 400 000 megawatts, I think.

Let's talk about this. cheesy

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:15am On Jul 18, 2015
The guy below me is an Electrician and will
throw more light on the matter
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by deniyor: 2:17am On Jul 18, 2015
Nothing new. Those are good theories. But they need lots of money to implement. How much do you think it will cost in today's economy to build a power plant? Billions of dollars. Then you have to worry about maintenance and having properly trained professionals to look after it. So its only feasible to the government or a large corporation.

As we already know, we have a problem with implementing ideas in naija.

EDIT
@ Teempakguy @saintneo @RobinHez
One important factor in setting up a power plant is the 'ready' availability of resources needed to run the power plant. So for a country like Nigeria, in its current state, most of the sources you have listed are a pipe dream.

Due to lack of safety inherent in our systems and lifestyle, one does not need to tell you that any nuclear plant should not be considered at all. I have worked in both power plants and a uranium mine before. Trust me, nothing can make me work in a nuclear plant. Even if all safety mechanisms are introduced. Yes they work, but when things go wrong, the really go wrong. Think Japan a year or two ago. I know someone who was there at the time.

Hydro would work. But apart from river Niger and Benue, where are we going to put another dam for a hydro station. Building a dam isn't cheap either.

Green form of power plants like wind and solar are nice. Problem is they can never be a reliable total source of power supply. They only augment what is existing. Not as reliable given how much resources it might take to build them.

One old tried and trusted system? Coal fired Power plant. Nigeria has abundance of coal. There is abundance of water. If we are worried about coal emissions, google the ICCS project - Integrated Carbon Capture and Storage aka clean coal. Its operational now.

Another suggestion I'd make for generating electricity is using compost. This is operational in Norway. We sure do not lack garbage in Nigeria. This will be killing two birds with one stone.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:28am On Jul 18, 2015
deniyor:
Nothing new. Those are good theories. But they need lots of money to implement. How much do you think it will cost in today's economy to build a power plant? Billions of dollars. Then you have to worry about maintenance and having properly trained professionals to look after it. So its only feasible to the government or a large corporation.

As we already know, we have a problem with implementing ideas in naija.
I beg to differ sir. cheesy

Anyway, I like your pragmatic . . . albeit pessimistic view. But I believe there is a solution to every problem. I intend that we find one on this thread. smiley
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by deniyor: 2:38am On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
I beg to differ sir. cheesy

Anyway, I like your pragmatic . . . albeit pessimistic view. But I believe there is a solution to every problem. I intend that we find one on this thread. smiley

Just realistic. Its an industry I am very familiar with.

1 Like

Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 18, 2015
deniyor:

nice! I love this, I've been looking for someone to analyze cost anyways.
When the sun comes up, I intend to gather some analysis tho. smiley
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Greenbuoy(m): 2:43am On Jul 18, 2015
*observing*
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by saintneo(m): 3:04am On Jul 18, 2015
deniyor:

Let not our familiarisation limit our imagination.

The is great topic. I am really interested.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by deniyor: 3:11am On Jul 18, 2015
saintneo:

Let not our familiarisation limit our imagination.

The is great topic. I am really interested.

Not limiting any imagination.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 18, 2015

I would like us to go about this thread in the most systematic way possible.
Therefore, I need these questions answered. Experts and amateurs needed.

1. How many watts does a house consume?

2. What it the average number of houses per street in Nigeria?

3. How many streets are on average, in a local government area?

4. Are private institutions allowed to contribute to the power production of the country?

5. What is the limit of these contributions? Can we simply build models and submit them to the minister of works . . . or can we power streets/areas for a price, building the plants by ourselves, then pay taxes to the government?

6. Would Nigerians generally prefer external power production, A.K.A PHCN or internal? A.K.A personal generating sets . . . if both were potentially capable of supplying 24/7 power at the same price?

Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Boy101(m): 3:44am On Jul 18, 2015
This is very much Amusing. Although life has stolen my zeal for the so much love I got for science and technology, topics like these are what quench my thirst somewhat. Good one OP. I hope someone somewhere at the top is reading this and taking notes. Nigeria is big and diverse, it is only advisable things like electricity is generated diversely.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 9:51am On Jul 18, 2015
Alright Teem...u called me out angry

Strike out Atomic Battery and Fusion fission wareva!!.

This is Nigeria man! Do we look like we can manage/take charge of such dangerous power source? If there were no good Engineers/scientists...what happened in Fukushima would have spread to the whole of Japan and even China.
Look at this>
A nuclear power plant
contains a lot more nuclear material than an atomic
bomb.
Think about it!
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 9:57am On Jul 18, 2015
Now call me Old skool or what u like, but I'm a good fan of Solar Energy!
I mean...what better way of generating power other than the most Natural and the most safest of all...especially with the amount of sunlight we receive a day!

For me...we shouldn't wait for the government, to power a small house with solar energy is not more than #30,000 .
Now calculate all the NEPA bills u've paid...is it not running to hundreds of thousands? Why not just make it a House priority/project ->getting our own energy!

If the government wants to help, they can build large solar panels that would act as a Transformer for each street (but u'll still pay bills tongue).
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 9:59am On Jul 18, 2015
And just for the record BOY, I came up with this thread April 29, so don't feel like anything grin
https://www.nairaland.com/2283690/opinion-how-improve-power
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:
And just for the record BOY, I came up with this thread April 29, so don't feel like anything grin
https://www.nairaland.com/2283690/opinion-how-improve-power
shocked shocked
When you will not mention anybody. tongue
So you're saying you prefer it if everyone produces their own power? Instead of a general source?
I was thinking of having a street provide it's own power?
What are your views on this? Shey you fit collaborate with your fellow landlords? Abi they are also your nemesis? grin
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:
Now call me Old skool or what u like, but I'm a good fan of Solar Energy!
I mean...what better way of generating power other than the most Natural and the most safest of all...especially with the amount of sunlight we receive a day!

For me...we shouldn't wait for the government, to power a small house with solar energy is not more than #30,000 .
Now calculate all the NEPA bills u've paid...is it not running to hundreds of thousands? Why not just make it a House priority/project ->getting our own energy!

If the government wants to help, they can build large solar panels that would act as a Transformer for each street (but u'll still pay bills tongue).
you really want this to be personal sha. cheesy
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 10:34am On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
shocked shocked
When you will not mention anybody. tongue
So you're saying you prefer it if everyone produces their own power? Instead of a general source?
I was thinking of having a street provide it's own power?
What are your views on this? Shey you fit collaborate with your fellow landlords? Abi they are also your nemesis? grin
They will quickly form association, and God knows how I detest that grin

For Government House and properties, they can use a general source.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 10:36am On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
you really want this to be personal sha. cheesy
Ma guy, not everybody likes progress.

Someone from our street went to trip off the transformer in the night, because he had a quarell with someone...imagine? angry
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:

They will quickly form association, and God knows how I detest that grin

For Government House and properties, they can use a general source.
okay, so what I need now is . . . how many watts does a house consume?
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:

Ma guy, not everybody likes progress.

Someone from our street went to trip off the transformer in the night, because he had a quarell with someone...imagine? angry
hence, every man for himself, not bad at all. grin
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 10:44am On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
okay, so what I need now is . . . how many watts does a house consume?
Well, we use a prepaid meter at home so, I'll go check records...

Or better still, lemme visit PHCN's website to garner figures. angry
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 10:47am On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
hence, every man for himself, not bad at all. grin
Yeah...I mean look at this cool

Isn't it beautiful?
U'd only have to worry about Maintenance 4 life cheesy
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Slimzjoe(m): 11:06am On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:
Alright Teem...u called me out angry

Strike out Atomic Battery and Fusion fission wareva!!.

This is Nigeria man! Do we look like we can manage/take charge of such dangerous power source? If there were no good Engineers/scientists...what happened in Fukushima would have spread to the whole of Japan and even China.
Look at this> Think about it!

So No be only me they Fear Those 2 things?? Hahaa
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Slimzjoe(m): 11:19am On Jul 18, 2015
I'm a Huge Fan of Solar. It might be Expensive and that's why the Government has to Help Fix it for Its Citizens.... I think Street by street would be Better.
We're Already using Hydroelectric and its not even Serving Well

Teem I didn't understand the Concept of that Geothermal.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 11:30am On Jul 18, 2015
Slimzjoe:

So No be only me they Fear Those 2 things?? Hahaa
Ha! Anything Radiation...no mention me abeg! grin
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 18, 2015
Slimzjoe:
I'm a Huge Fan of Solar. It might be Expensive and that's why the Government has to Help Fix it for Its Citizens.... I think Street by street would be Better.
We're Already using Hydroelectric and its not even Serving Well

Teem I didn't understand the Concept of that Geothermal.
geothermal . . . relies on the concept that the inside of the earth is hot. About 3km into the ground, the temperature gets hot enough to boil water. The resulting steam can then be used to turn turbines. smiley
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Slimzjoe(m): 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
geothermal . . . relies on the concept that the inside of the earth is hot. About 3km into the ground, the temperature gets hot enough to boil water. The resulting steam can then be used to turn turbines. smiley

Wow! That would be Constant Electricity then.... But getting Turbines would be Expensive
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
Slimzjoe:

Wow! That would be Constant Electricity then.... But getting Turbines would be Expensive
exactly. 24/7 and yes. Turbines would be expensive. So would the pipes be.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:

Yeah...I mean look at this cool

Isn't it beautiful?
U'd only have to worry about Maintenance 4 life cheesy
I love it oh. . .

But,

RobinHez:

Well, we use a prepaid meter at home so, I'll go check records...
Or better still, lemme visit PHCN's website to garner figures. angry
where you dey nah.
I still dey wait joor.
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by RobinHez(m): 1:49pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
I love it oh. . .
But,

where you dey nah. I still dey wait joor.
I'll be back in the evening, when am on Pc wink
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
RobinHez:

I'll be back in the evening, when am on Pc wink
cry
See as you dey enjoy PC . . . cry

Wey God dey nah . . . I dey expect my own nah. cry
Re: Ideas On Power Production In Nigeria by Slimzjoe(m): 2:00pm On Jul 18, 2015
Teempakguy:
exactly. 24/7 and yes. Turbines would be expensive. So would the pipes be.

And that's why it can't be in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Www.2go.im/download | 2go Sign Up |full 2go Account Registration | Download 2go / Gravity Visualized / Pls I Need A Very Good Tv Repairer For An Lg Smart Tv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.