Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,310 members, 7,811,920 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. - Investment (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. (46461 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: MMM Is Back And Better With Massive Merging Of Orders. / Us Stock Market 101 – Hot Stock Picks - Train And Get Good Hot Tips / Stock Market Investors Lose 1.032trn Due To Buhari's Slowness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kafeii123: 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2016
zPixel:
Hi

Has anyone had any luck opening an account with thinkorswim from Nigeria? They just introduced a 20 minutes delay on their demo platform... Please if you have an idea how i can open a real account please let me know. Thanks

if you're still need a good broker, check out: http://etoro.tw/2eIOzsq

They've got flexible/easier funding/withdrawal options, best fees so far and plus you can you even get free trade alerts

been using them a while now n they've been cool:

quote me / send a pm if you need walk-through/ clarifications.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kafeii123: 10:36pm On Nov 01, 2016
kentoto:

Please forget think or swim from TD ameritrade. I used to have an account 8 years ago, reactivated and tried funding it. They returned the funds last week saying they don't do business with Nigerians.

Looking for another broker now.

If you're still out for a good broker, check out: http://etoro.tw/2eIOzsq

They've got flexible/easier funding/withdrawal options, best fees so far and plus you can you even get free trade alerts

They've been good n without serious issue from my using them lately.

quote me / send a pm if you need a walk-through.

like Prof-Jide said, you can use Ameritrade chart for analysis if you're comfy-er with it, then execute your trades in there
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kafeii123: 10:40pm On Nov 01, 2016
lilreese:
Can you recommend any broker for Nigerians ?

thanks

if you still need a good broker, check out: http://etoro.tw/2eIOzsq

They've got flexible/easier funding and withdrawal options, best fees so far and you can even get free trade alerts.

Been with them a while now n they've been cool:

quote / send me a pm if you need walk-through/ clarifications.

1 Like

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 6:21pm On Nov 09, 2016
What a wild wild swing. Talk about being caught off guard, voted for Hilary and she still lost, man it hurts like I lost a family member. But it's time to move on... I'm just shocked by the wild swings in the market overnight. Why do people always overreact and panic sell?? This is the same thing that happened during Brexit and I was fortunate to buy some cheap financial stocks, wasn't so fortunate this time around though. Didn't set any GTC buy orders, but I did buy more biotech stocks last week when the sector got spooked by polls indicating a Clinton win. Today, biotech, financial, oil and gold stocks are blasting off. While that's welcomed news, I still believe the market will be a rollercoaster ride from here.
Trump is an unstable man, I can totally see him sending tweets in the middle of the night about companies or sectors he wants to rain in.

1 Like

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by zPixel(m): 2:37pm On Nov 12, 2016
Hello guys

I need someone in the US that can help me with opening an account with ThinkorSwim. I can pay you for your time. (it won't cost you anything to open the account)

https://www.thinkorswim.com/
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 5:17pm On Nov 14, 2016
zPixel:
Hello guys

I need someone in the US that can help me with opening an account with ThinkorSwim. I can pay you for your time. (it won't cost you anything to open the account)

https://www.thinkorswim.com/

If only it was that easy. You will need a social security number to open aTOS account from the US. That's how the government makes sure it gets its tax cut from any profits you make. Plus, how would anyone justify the funds coming into the account if it's not from a bank in the person's name?
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 5:36pm On Nov 14, 2016
Man ever since Trump became the president-elect my tech stocks have been crashing hard. The so-called FANG (Facebook, Apple, Netflix & Google) stocks have been crashing hard and I'm heavily vested in those names particularly Facebook and Google. Lost 5k from those names alone since Trump. What has saved me are the financial stocks I bought post brexit as well as biotechs and oil pipeline stocks that I own; they've starved off the massive let out from the tech names. In the two financial stocks i own SNV & Citi, I'm up 35% and 23% post Brexit.

The market doesn't make any sense sometimes. When Trump won the election, I assumed gold stocks will skyrocket and make all time highs; well they did but briefly; they have since crashed over 20% since then. The dollar made all time highs today and there's a renewed confidence in the US economy hence the underperformance of gold and other metals. I will use this opportunity to bulk up the gold stock I follow AUY; its currently down over 20% my initial entry point. I will also sell 30 shares of SNV as profit taking even though it has the potential to hit $45 per share or a 15% gain in a short while, no need to be greedy.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by zPixel(m): 10:20am On Nov 15, 2016
YerYer:

If only it was that easy. You will need a social security number to open aTOS account from the US. That's how the government makes sure it gets its tax cut from any profits you make. Plus, how would anyone justify the funds coming into the account if it's not from a bank in the person's name?

I never have plans to fund the account so no need for any bank transactions... I guess i've to pay for TC2000
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 7:10pm On Nov 15, 2016
zPixel:

I never have plans to fund the account so no need for any bank transactions... I guess i've to pay for TC2000

Oh okay, I see what you mean, you guys are the technical gurus, I'm yet to get the full hang of it.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 7:45pm On Nov 15, 2016
So few months ago, I said I will be diving into trading derivatives also known as options. Well, thus far I've focused on strikes several months away Take for example this bullish WFM put spread I bought back in September. Whole Foods Market (WFM) is known for selling organic foods in the US, UK & Canada. I bought 10 put contracts and sold 10 put contracts. If you look at the structure of this trade, you will know it's a bullish spread. Not to bore anyone with the boring terms and details of options, basically the higher the stock price of WFM goes, the more money I will make because this is a bullish trade. I could easily have sold just the in-the-money puts but to limit risks, I also bought the out-of-the money put as a hedge should in case the stock price goes lower for whatever reason I wouldn't suffer a huge loss. So if I were to close out this trade right now instead of waiting till the January 20, 2017 expiration date, I would've made $980 ($1338 - $358). Quite frankly I believe WFM's stock price will only go higher from here as more active managers rebalance their portfolios, nonetheless even if it goes lower, worst that could happen will be i don't lose or make a dime based on the strike prices.

Will initiate a small stake in Kraft-heinz KHC around $80.8 if it hits that price. This consumer staple name has been beaten way too much, and I expect it to be oversold in coming weeks which will provide for more attractive entry points. Trying not to rely heavily on just techs and biotechs anymore as I'm an overall longterm investor.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 4:31am On Nov 19, 2016
Yeyer/Zpixel,

Wow.. seems one or both of you are now into Options. Yeyer really impressed seem your option is paying of right, please throw more light.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 4:42am On Nov 19, 2016
Yeyer

I once got myself burnt using options and would like to work with someone confident of the trade. Can we organise a session via a video conference to discuss this? surly we can use webex or skype and have 3 people join the session. Zpixel you could also use the opportunity to profile your day trading strategy, not sure what your internet connection is like in Nigeria.

In any case, we will have to sync due to the time diff in the US.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 4:59am On Nov 19, 2016
kafeii123:

if you still need a good broker, check out: http://etoro.tw/2eIOzsq

They've got flexible/easier funding and withdrawal options, best fees so far and you can even get free trade alerts.

Been with them a while now n they've been cool:

quote / send me a pm if you need walk-through/ clarifications.

I have just opened this account and seem a bit confused, i cannot seem to find my US stock on their platform. Which market do they trade
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kafeii123: 5:28am On Nov 20, 2016
Jideams:

I have just opened this account and seem a bit confused, i cannot seem to find my US stock on their platform. Which market do they trade

You go to "Trade Markets" on the left,

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kafeii123: 5:52am On Nov 20, 2016
Jideams:

then it'd show a tab to "Choose Industry" on the top of the webpage, where you get to choose your stock industry if you know it.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kafeii123: 5:52am On Nov 20, 2016
Jideams:

And You could just avoid all the above and "search" for stock and/or company name using the search box at the central top pane

CC YerYer

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 4:07pm On Nov 23, 2016
Jideams:
Yeyer

I once got myself burnt using options and would like to work with someone confident of the trade. Can we organise a session via a video conference to discuss this? surly we can use webex or skype and have 3 people join the session. Zpixel you could also use the opportunity to profile your day trading strategy, not sure what your internet connection is like in Nigeria.

In any case, we will have to sync due to the time diff in the US.

I'm definitely cool with this, we can learn a lot from each other. Just let me know when it can fit in with your schedule. I'm usually available in the morning, from 8am ET, I think we are 6hrs behind you guys.
In regards to options, I'm really just testing it out, not too confident as I have some trades that ended up in a loss, but I feel like I learn as I go. I took a cheap online course on options trading, though I didn't finish the course, it did help me get started at least.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:27pm On Nov 23, 2016
kafeii123:

And You could just avoid all the above and "search" for stock and/or company name using the search box at the central top pane

CC YerYer

Thanks Looking into it.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:36pm On Nov 23, 2016
YerYer:

I'm definitely cool with this, we can learn a lot from each other. Just let me know when it can fit in with your schedule. I'm usually available in the morning, from 8am ET, I think we are 6hrs behind you guys.
In regards to options, I'm really just testing it out, not too confident as I have some trades that ended up in a loss, but I feel like I learn as I go. I took a cheap online course on options trading, though I didn't finish the course, it did help me get started at least.

Good job man... do not underestimate the drive it takes to learn something on your own and commit your funds to it. I did some learning back in the days when i just started but never invested real money into it.

The plan is to first start by using options as an insurance policy for my stocks at a volatile period. Take for instance i have 100 units of stock "A" at 10 dollars each (total of 1000 dollars). when the stock is about to declare their earnings, ideally what i do it to reduce my exposure buy 75% and then buy back the stock if it swings on the up side. With option all i have to do is buy a "put" option (one contract = 100 units of stocks @ the money) this should not cost me more than 100 dollars approx. so if the price of the stock falls, my put option will make me money and i will quickly sell all may stocks and make what ever i have lost on the put option.

Once i have a good feel for this, then we will start off with normal options.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:57pm On Nov 23, 2016
Yeryer/Zpixel,

Please go to Cisco Webex and download the application on your computer. you do not have to subscribe to the application as i have done that. All you need is to have it installed and so that you can launch it when i send you a meeting invite. you will need to have a camera in order to see me.

I will subscribe to the 15/month package to host as much as 8 people at a time. Try the link below and see the video.

https://www.webex.com/how-to/index.html?video=2717062870001
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 6:38am On Nov 24, 2016
Jideams:

Good job man... do not underestimate the drive it takes to learn something on your own and commit your funds to it. I did some learning back in the days when i just started but never invested real money into it.

The plan is to first start by using options as an insurance policy for my stocks at a volatile period. Take for instance i have 100 units of stock "A" at 10 dollars each (total of 1000 dollars). when the stock is about to declare their earnings, ideally what i do it to reduce my exposure buy 75% and then buy back the stock if it swings on the up side. With option all i have to do is buy a "put" option (one contract = 100 units of stocks @ the money) this should not cost me more than 100 dollars approx. so if the price of the stock falls, my put option will make me money and i will quickly sell all may stocks and make what ever i have lost on the put option.

Once i have a good feel for this, then we will start off with normal options.

Exactly, it's like an insurance policy for your stocks. I just find it interesting and how cheap it is to buy contracts, but the amount of money you could make or lose is astronomical. I will download the cisco webex like you suggested so we can live chat.

So yesterday, i took a really big risk in structuring a 'risk reversal' in a stock I've known for a while. I will post more on this later when I'm free.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 4:12pm On Nov 26, 2016
Hi All,

Been a while posting articles on stocks but i recently discovered a book " how i made 2million dollars on the stock market". This was interesting reading and i discovered the box principle implemented by the trader to calm his nerves in the market. Please see attached a copy of the implementation of the box technique on one of my positions.

I need to see how this would go a long way in decision making on buy and sell. Please read the book, it makes an interesting reading

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 3:51pm On Nov 27, 2016
Jideams:
Hi All,

Been a while posting articles on stocks but i recently discovered a book " how i made 2million dollars on the stock market". This was interesting reading and i discovered the box principle implemented by the trader to calm his nerves in the market. Please see attached a copy of the implementation of the box technique on one of my positions.

I need to see how this would go a long way in decision making on buy and sell. Please read the book, it makes an interesting reading

Will check out the book. What is your entry price for this stock, is it $31.61?
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 10:11am On Nov 28, 2016
YerYer:

Will check out the book. What is your entry price for this stock, is it $31.61?

Need to check the actual entry price, think it was 36 dollars or there about as i am 30% up on the last 4 weeks. The vertical green line shows my entry date
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 11:22am On Nov 28, 2016
Jideams:

Need to check the actual entry price, think it was 36 dollars or there about as i am 30% up on the last 4 weeks. The vertical green line shows my entry date

Cool returns; that's a sweet trade! Any rationale behind buying the name?
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:49am On Nov 28, 2016
[quote author=YerYer post=51446848]

Cool returns; that's a sweet trade! Any rationale behind buying the name

Actually the stock has been in my radar as a market leader with good returns but the price was dwindling downwards. Following the Election of Trump, the Market moved up the second or third day in a strong volume and the stock closed about 50% above its usual volume so i jumped in.

Now the plan is to hold it till it kicks me out, i have a trailing stop at 10% the highest price with the intention to hold that till it drops 10 % from the highest high irrespective of how long it takes. I used the same strategy with AMBA and walked away with 20% gain.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:58am On Nov 28, 2016
YerYer:

Cool returns; that's a sweet trade! Any rationale behind buying the name?

YerYer,

Travelling to Nigeria this weekend and will be in lagos till 10 January 2017. I will be working from home for the whole month so let me know when we can test the video session or the webex. so you let me know a good time and we can have one next week. Please download webex and install on your labtop, it is free.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 12:20pm On Nov 28, 2016
[quote author=Jideams post=51447630][/quote]

Nothing sweeter than double digit returns, I like how you set trailing stops to cap your profit and limit your loss, again your understanding of charts does help you decide your exit point and that's good.

So few days ago I said I took a big risk trading options on a stock i've known for some time now. That stock is Gamestop (GME); it is a brick and mortar & online retailer of video game consoles and games. It reported lukewarm 3rd quarter earnings last thursday. Wallstreet analysts have written off this company as the next Blockbuster; if you can recall, Blockbuster used to sell & rent dvds until it was forced into bankrupcy by the disruptive nature of netflix and other online streaming platforms. The belief is, Gamestop wouldn't last very long as more and more gamers buy or stream their games online while avoiding the stores. This is a flawed reasoning if you ask me; some people still enjoy stopping by the stores to test out new games before buying it. Moreover, Gamestop also buys & sells used video games which requires customers to visit their physical stores.

Notwithstanding, I used this opportunity to sell 20 April 2017 put contracts of which i used the proceed to buy 20 April 2017 call contracts. My initial price target was far lower than what i ended up paying and its just unbelievable! The moment the market opened at 9:30am, the asking price shot up a whooping 20%! I was going to set a limit order but i realized that order will never fill because the price kept shooting up rapidly. As you can see from the screenshot below, I bought in around 9:33am, that's just 3 minutes after the market opened and I still paid over 20%. So that tells me other traders have the same thesis like me and they are pilling in, trying not to miss out on this opportunity.
This trade structure theoretically has "unlimited" profit potential if the underlying stock price shoots above $27.4 on expiration date. Unlimited profit potential stems from the fact that the stock could end up costing $1000 per share but of course that's unrealistic. Now to the risk profile, should the underlying stock price crash below $23 i will be losing money; the most I can lose is about $44000 or $2200 per contract. Again this is the maximum amount I can lose if and only if the stock price crashes to zero; as you can see that's also unrealistic. Currenlty up 23.74% on the call option and 6.95% the put option. I'm definitely hoping I don't lose my shirt on this trade, lets see how it goes

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 12:25pm On Nov 28, 2016
Jideams:

YerYer,

Travelling to Nigeria this weekend and will be in lagos till 10 January 2017. I will be working from home for the whole month so let me know when we can test the video session or the webex. so you let me know a good time and we can have one next week. Please download webex and install on your labtop, it is free.

Alright, will download it today. You are always traveling na wa o. I will also be traveling in January. Hope your network will be good back home.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 1:15pm On Nov 28, 2016
YerYer:

Alright, will download it today. You are always traveling na wa o. I will also be traveling in January. Hope your network will be good back home.

Yes, they will be installing a fiber optic at home this weekend, that should give 2 24/7 connection as 4mbps. From what I could see, its seem you had a call and put position in GME ( called a strangle) what is the plan here, sell one and hold one ?
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 1:17pm On Nov 28, 2016
Yeryer,

Note, my trailing stop is not as close as it appears in the diagram above, the true position will be revealed when the Market opens. I did adjust my trailing stop hence the reason why is shot up. ideally it is 10% the highest price at any time.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2016
Jideams:

Yes, they will be installing a fiber optic at home this weekend, that should give 2 24/7 connection as 4mbps. From what I could see, its seem you had a call and put position in GME ( called a strangle) what is the plan here, sell one and hold one ?

Yeah, sold the put to fund the purchase of the call option. Will hold and hope it expires worthless.

Fiber optic in naija?? shocked Which company and what's the cost?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

SARS Arrest Woman Who Opened Ponzi Scheme In Awka After The Scheme Crashed(pics) / LUNO Nigeria Account Frozen By Court / Daily Crypto-currency (bitcoin) Trading Signals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.