Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,586 members, 7,955,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:25 PM

Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil (524 Views)

See Assignment Given To A Primary 1 Pupil / Mum Invades School With Thugs In Abeokuta, Beats Up Teachers For Caning Child / Rivers Pastor Builds House For Pupil Who Graduated As Best In His School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by Shine1177: 8:11pm On Jul 18, 2015
A magistrates' court in Alexandra, Johannesburg, South Africa, has sentenced a school teacher, Philippine Rakosa, to one year imprisonment for caning a grade two pupil.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that the Sowetan newspaper on Friday in Pretoria said that the teacher was jailed on Wednesday for hitting an eight-year-old pupil with a hosepipe for failing a class test.

The paper said the incident occurred on February 8, 2014, at Gordon`s Primary School in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg.

The publication quoted the Magistrate, Gideon Suhnetler, as saying that it was time teachers realised that corporal punishment was outlawed in South Africa.

It said that a medical doctor testified that the child suffered hand sepsis, a skin infection that changed the wound to various colours.
"Her hand no longer works properly and there are fears it might not recover entirely," the doctor said.

The paper also said that the pupil testified via video feed that the teacher assaulted her, claiming that she had copied from another pupil.
According to the paper, the pupil`s mother told the court that the teacher offered her bribe to close the case.

The teacher, according to the Sowetan, said she paid the money after being told to do so by her headmaster.

Rakosa said the headmaster wanted the matter settled before the media got the information.

The magistrate, however, said that it was impossible for an adult like the teacher to accept a liability if she had not committed the offence.
He said the teacher`s testimony was not trustworthy and was aimed at defending herself.

The paper quoted the prosecutor, Jackie Letsoalo, as requesting the court to jail the teacher for five years.

The magistrate exercised leniency and jailed her for one year because she was the sole breadwinner in her family and had two children.

The teacher`s husband, the publication also said, was unemployed.

The Sowetan said that while there were many cases in the country, this was the first time a teacher had been sentenced to prison.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/teacher-jailed-caning-pupil
Re: Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by MrFlavvor(m): 8:13pm On Jul 18, 2015
issokay
Re: Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by Mancity26(m): 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2015
thats why dis indomie age keep misbehaving
Re: Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by lordtim001(m): 8:21pm On Jul 18, 2015
Omo butty,Indomie generation that always report to their parents.When i was in school,woo,if u report ehn,your parent will collect cane there,beat u there and disgrace you in front of everybody.Next time,you'll manage the smarting pain
Re: Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by raayah(f): 8:23pm On Jul 18, 2015
I completely support the imprisonment of teachers who flog children.

Even animals are not treated as bad as Children are in Africa.

Flogging and abusing children in the name of discipline. If you children are misbehaving and you cannot control them without violence , maybe something is wrong with you.

This is why I will not have empathy for people who complained that soldier punished/Flogged/slapped them. This is the same thing you do to children and they even have a lower threshold for pain.

I will never abuse my children.
Re: Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by saintneo(m): 8:27pm On Jul 18, 2015
I thought this happened in Nigeria.

Please take a look at Fraud Alert: DV2015 Lottery for Nigerians
Re: Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by XYZADIGOR7: 9:25pm On Jul 18, 2015
Na wao I chop plenty during my school days nothing happened. I won't even dares to tell my popc if not I'm finished
Re: Teacher Jailed For Caning Pupil by Yustash001(m): 9:40pm On Jul 18, 2015
Am sure it can't happen in Nigeria....

(1) (Reply)

Funny But Fact Message To EX Secondary School Mates / Do You Need A Home/private Tutor ?? / Where Are The English Gurus??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.