Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia (37298 Views)

Ghanaian Man Climbs High Tension Pole, Demands Money Before Coming Down. Photos / Herbert Were Beheads His Brother So As To Join Illuminati / "Muslim Women Must Learn English Or Be Deported" - British PM. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ritchiee:
wink grin :DYou surely played truancy during English class.It is Uncle and not uncle.ciao. ;DYou surely played truancy during English class.It is Uncle and not uncle.ciao.

Must I teach you everything? Is uncle somebody's name? So if it's a father, it would have been "thank you, Father"?
Guy, no provoke me o.
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Ritchiee: 6:33pm On Jul 27, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Must I teach you everything? Is uncle somebody's name? So if it's a father, it would have been "thank you, Father"?
Guy, no provoke me o.
I will explain this... in my next post.
I would not want to be rude but I should be asking you that question.Now,listen up.The rule to follow here is to capitalize father,uncle,aunt,mother, when used as proper nouns and not as common nouns.Capitalize when they are used in place of a person's name.Don't ever capitalize when you are using articles like a or an or possessive pronouns such as their,his,etc.
Say:A big thank you to his uncle not Uncle and also say-A big thank you to Uncle.
The proper way to put that your sentence is-Thank you, Father not thank you,father.
You can say-He said thank you to his father not Father.I would stop here in order not to make this too complex for you.Now, say it loudly-Thank you,Uncle.Ciao. grin
ILIDEFI:

Guy, no provoke me o.
I would not want to be rude but I should be asking you that question.Now,listen up.The rule to follow here is to capitalize father,uncle,aunt,mother, when used as proper nouns and not as common nouns.Capitalize when they are used in place of a person's name.Don't ever capitalize when you are using articles like a or an or possessive pronouns such as their,his,etc.
Say:A big thank you to his uncle not Uncle and also say-A big thank you to Uncle.
The proper way to put that your sentence is-Thank you, Father not thank you,father.
You can say-He said thank you to his father not Father.I would stop here in order not to make this too complex for you.Now, say it loudly-Thank you,Uncle.Ciao.
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ritchiee:
You can say-He said thank you to his father not Father.I would stop here in order not to make this too complex for you.Now, say it loudly-Thank you,Uncle.Ciao. ;DI will explain this... in my next post.
You can say-He said thank you to his father not Father.I would stop here in order not to make this too complex for you.Now, say it loudly-Thank you,Uncle.Ciao.

Whoever taught you English is a slow poke, seriously. I guess you also capitalise pronouns, because they are used in place of people's names.

You only capitalise common nouns when they begin sentences or when they are the names of people, places, things etc, not when they are used to represent them.
Examples:
1. Please, meet my friend, West (not meet my friend, west).
2. a) This book is for Justice.
b) Don't worry friend, you will surely get justice.
Did you notice the difference between option a and b above?

You can't say, "thank you, Daddy", except the name of you father is Daddy, or is attached to his name or to somebody's name eg Thank you, Daddy Oyedepo.
It is, "thank you, daddy" or "thank you, Mike" (if you call him by his name, and his name is Mike).

For further explanations, check out these links:

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/nouns/common-and-proper-noun.html

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/capital_letters_proper_and_common_nouns.htm
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Ritchiee: 5:42pm On Jul 28, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Whoever taught you English is a slow poke, seriously. I guess you also capitalise pronouns, because they are used in place of people's names.

You only capitalise common nouns when they begin sentences or when they are the names of people, places, things etc, not when they are used to represent them.
Examples:
Did you notice the difference between option a and b above?

You can't say, "thank you, Daddy", except the name of you father is Daddy, or is attached to his name or to somebody's name eg Thank you, Daddy Oyedepo.
It is, "thank you, daddy" or "thank you, Mike" (if you call him by his name, and his name is Mike).

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/nouns/common-and-proper-noun.html

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/capital_letters_proper_and_common_nouns.htm
Iam sorry,I took a while.I was very busy.Look at your-
[b]Examples:
Did you notice the difference between option a and b above?[b]These examples of yours are a little bit inconsequential in what we are discussing here,which are called KINSHIP NAMES like mother,father,uncle,etc. Capitalization is the writing of a word with its first letter in uppercase and the remaining letters in lowercase. Experienced writers are stingy with capitals. It is best not to use them if there is any doubt.

Rule 1: Capitalize the first word of a document and the first word after a period.
Rule 2: Capitalize proper nouns—and adjectives derived from proper nouns.
the Golden Gate Bridge, the Grand Canyon, a Russian song

With the passage of time, some words originally derived from proper nouns have taken on a life, and authority, of their own and no longer require capitalization.
herculean (from the ancient-Greek hero Hercules)
quixotic (from the hero of the classic novel Don Quixote)
draconian (from ancient-Athenian lawgiver Draco)
The main function of capitals is to focus attention on particular elements within any group of people, places, or things. We can speak of a lake in the middle of the country, or we can be more specific and say Lake Michigan, which distinguishes it from every other lake on earth.

Capitalization Reference List
• Brand names
• Companies
• Days of the week and months of the year
• Governmental matters
Congress, the U.S. Constitution, the Electoral College, Department of Agriculture.
• Historical episodes and eras: the Inquisition, the American Revolutionary War, the Great Depression
• Holidays
• Institutions: Oxford College, the Juilliard School of Music
• Manmade structures: the Empire State Building, the Eiffel Tower, the Titanic
• Manmade places: Berlin, Montana, Cook County
• Natural and manmade landmarks: Mount Everest, the Hoover Dam
• Organizations: American Center for Law and Justice,
• Planets: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, but policies vary on capitalizingearth, and it is usually not capitalized unless it is being discussed specifically as a planet:We learned that Earth travels through space at 66,700 miles per hour.
• Races, nationalities, and tribes: Eskimo, Navajo, East Indian, Caucasian, African American (Note: white and black in reference to race are lowercase)
• Religions and names of gods
• Special occasions: the Olympic Games, the Cannes Film Festival
• Streets and roads

Rule 3: A thorny aspect of capitalization: where does it stop? When does the Iraq war become the Iraq War? Why is the legendary Hope Diamond not the Hope diamond? Everyone writesNew York City, so why does the Associated Press Stylebook recommend New York state? There aren't always easy formulas or logical explanations. Research with reference books and search engines is the best strategy.

If a trademark starts with a lowercase word or letter (e.g., eBay, iPhone), many authorities advise capitalizing it to begin a sentence.EBay opened strong in trading today.

Rule 4: Capitalize people’s titles when they are used before names, unless the title is followed by a comma. Do not capitalize the title if it is used after a name or instead of a name.
The president will address Congress.
Chairman of the Board William Bly will preside at the conference.
The chairman of the board, William Bly, will preside.
The senators from Iowa and Ohio are expected to attend.
Also expected to attend are Senators Buzz James and Eddie Twain.
The governors, lieutenant governors, and attorneys general called for a special task force.
Governor Brown and Lieutenant Governor Newsom will be in town.

Rule 5: People’s titles are not the same as occupations. Do not capitalize occupations before full names.director Steven Spielberg, owner Helen Smith, coach Biff Sykes

Rule 6a:Capitalize a formal title when it is used as a direct address.Will you take my temperature, Doctor?

Rule 6b:Capitalize relatives' family names (kinship names) when they immediately precede a personal name, or when they are used alone in place of a personal name.
I found out that Mom is here.
You look good, Grandpa.

Andy and Opie loved Aunt Bee's apple pies.
However, these terms are not capitalized with possessive nouns or pronouns, when they follow the personal name, or when they are not referencing a specific person.
My mom is here.Joe's grandpa looks well.
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Ritchiee: 5:55pm On Jul 28, 2015
http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/capitalization/kinship-names-to-capitalize-or-not-to-capitalize/Kinship Names: To Capitalize or Not to Capitalize?

Several readers have asked why kinship names, such as names of brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, etc., are sometimes capitalized and sometimes not. Let’s have a closer look.
ne,
Rule 1: Capitalize a kinship name when it immediately precedes a personal name or IS USED ALONE, in place of a personal name.THIS IS WHERE YOU GOOFED grin shocked grin

Examples
Andy and Opie loved Aunt Bee’s apple pies.
We adore Uncle Malik, because he always treats us like royalty when we visit him.
Grandma and Grandpa were married in a chapel in a small French village.
Let’s go ask Mom if we can go to the movies.

Rule 2: Do not capitalize a kinship name when it is not part of the personal name but is a word describing the personal name. This usually occurs when the kinship name is preceded by articles such as the, a, or an; or possessive pronouns such as his, her, my, our, your, or their.

Examples
Andy and Opie loved their aunt Bea’s apple pies.
We adore our uncle Malik, because he always treats us like royalty when we visit him.
My grandma and grandpa were married in a chapel in a small French village.
Let’s go ask my mom if we can go to the movies.

Rule 3: Do not capitalize a kinship name when it follows the personal name or is not referencing a specific person.

Examples
The James brothers were notorious for robbing scores of banks and trains.
There’s not one mother I know who would allow her child to cross that street alone.
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Ritchiee: 6:26pm On Jul 28, 2015
[quote author=ILIDEFI post=36334669]

Whoever taught you English is a slow poke, seriously. I guess you also capitalise pronouns, because they are used in place of people's names.YES,YOU CAN CAPITALIZE PRONOUN.Take this example as a blow below the belt-I like you;however, I hate chowderheads.The i is capitalized grin shocked shocked grin
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Ritchiee: 6:39pm On Jul 28, 2015

For further explanations, check out these link:

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/capital_letters_proper_and_common_nouns.htm[/quote]This is the only site that is a little consequential in our discussion.YOU CAN SAY-Thank you,Daddy as well as you can say- Thank you, Daddy Oyedepo. grin grin shocked
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Ritchiee: 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2015
ILIDEFI:

For further explanations, check out these link:

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/capital_letters_proper_and_common_nouns.htm[/quote]This is the only site that is a little useful in our discussion.YOU CAN SAY-Thank you,Daddy as well as you can say- Thank you, Daddy Oyedepo.Shalom and Ciao. grin grin shocked
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 28, 2015
[quote author=Ritchiee post=36368523][/quote]

Lol. Young man, I is always capitalised whenever it's being used. All other pronouns are only capitalised when they appear at d beginning of sentences.
Re: British Police Force Demands Anyone That Wants To Join Must Learn Yoruba, Italia by Ritchiee: 10:21pm On Jul 28, 2015
ILIDEFI:

Lol. Young man, I is always capitalised whenever it's being used. All other pronouns are only capitalised when they appear at d beginning of sentences.
Legions of rolling loools...I enjoyed your e-company...
Go and learn about ELLIPSES...Chao,Shalom,Ciao...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ex-Israeli Prime Minister, Naftali Bennett, Joins Reserve Mobilisation / Biden To Appoint Candace Jackson-Akiwumi As US Supreme Court Justice / Thousands Flee Syria To Turkey As Idlib Conflict Escalates (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.