Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:37 AM

Cardinal George Pell Questions The Pope's Authority On Climate Change - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Cardinal George Pell Questions The Pope's Authority On Climate Change (371 Views)

Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere / Nigeria Will Be Worse If Buhari Wins 2nd Term - Cardinal Okogie / Buhari’s Ministerial List Shows That He Belongs To Somebody – Cardinal Okogie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cardinal George Pell Questions The Pope's Authority On Climate Change by skillsbaba(m): 9:34am On Jul 21, 2015
‘The Church has got no mandate from the Lord to pronounce on scientific matters.’

In that one sentence, Cardinal Pell puts his finger on what is wrong with Laudato Si‘, Pope Francis’s encyclical on the environment. In that document, Francis waded into an argument about climate change and took sides. Moreover, he gave the impression that he was speaking for all Catholics when he did so; and, if by any chance he wasn’t, errant faithful should fall into line.

In an interview in Thursday’s Financial Times, the Prefect of the Secretariat for the Economy stepped out of line. See above. It was a brave thing to do: Pell’s wholesale reform of the Vatican’s finances is making him plenty of enemies as it is, and now he’s even more vulnerable to attack.
Why take the risk? Because, I suspect, Cardinal Pell considers Laudato Si’ to be the most ill-judged encyclical of modern times. As the New York Times columnist Ross Douthat put it, it is ‘catastrophist’ not just in its climate science but also in its attitude towards modern technology in general:

Its catastrophism also leaves this pope more open to empirical criticism. For instance, he doesn’t grapple sufficiently with evidence that the global poor have become steadily less poor under precisely the world system he decries – a reality that has complicated implications for environmentalism.

But let’s stick with climate change. We’ve moved on, thankfully, from the days when climate scepticism was represented by statistically illiterate Right-wing culture warriors opposed by scientific zealots who were happy to hide inconvenient data to make their case. But the science isn’t ‘settled’; it’s just that the debate has become more sophisticated.

Recently I was talking to a libertarian journalist trained in statistics, a rare beast indeed. I asked him about global warming, expecting a denunciation of Lefty alarmism. Instead, he replied: ‘I just don’t go there – I don’t know enough’, and poured scorn on amateur commentators of every persuasion.

With Laudato Si‘, Pope Francis joined the ranks of those amateurs

- See more at: http://www.breakingnews234.com/2015/07/cardinal-george-pell-questions-popes.html#sthash.s5X6nJe4.dpuf
Re: Cardinal George Pell Questions The Pope's Authority On Climate Change by shalomm: 9:35am On Jul 21, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Seek For The Unbeleivable Power And Recieve,the Light,the MANTLE And PEACE / Philippians 3 On Self Confidence And The Antidote For Anxiety / Pope Address Us Politicians Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.