Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,247 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban (1805 Views)

Biafra: 16 Members Of European Parliament Ask EU To Challenge Buhari, DSS / Re-integration Of 2 Million Idps, My Current Challenge -buhari / Crude Oil Drilling In Lake Chad Basin To Start Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by metroparrot: 12:52pm On Jul 23, 2015
A ban on 113 oil tankers ordered by President Muhammadu Buhari must be lifted immediately as no grounds have been given for the measure, the global oil tanker industry association said in a letter of protest.

NNPC, acting on Buhari’s order, issued a letter on July 15, which said the vessels, mainly VLCC crude oil tankers, were banned from calling at Nigerian crude oil terminals and also from Nigerian waters with immediate effect.

Industry association INTERTANKO, whose independent members own the majority of the world’s tanker fleet, said in a letter to NNPC, dated July 22, that there were no “evidence or grounds” given for the ban.

“INTERTANKO protests in the strongest possible way that these bans should be lifted with immediate effect until grounds and evidence for the ban have been given to each vessel and vessel owner/operator, and the owner/operator has had an opportunity to respond,” General Counsel Michele White wrote in the letter.

Since taking office in May, Buhari has been working to fulfil a campaign promise to tackle corruption, particularly in the oil industry. He has dissolved the NNPC board and ordered an investigation into a scheme through which the country swaps crude for oil products such as gasoline.

White said separately the list of banned tankers was “not exhaustive and already further tankers are being added”.

“Our current understanding is that these ships may have been targeted due to a failure to provide official outturn figures at their last call and/or commercial differences between load and discharge figures for cargo and free water,” White said in a separate note to members.

“This may also however be part of a general crackdown by President Buhari on corruption in Nigeria’s maritime, oil and gas, financial services and security sectors, including illegal bunkering and fuel sales.”

White said after INTERTANKO had spoken with its members in some cases the ship had not called in Nigeria for several years, or at all.

“In others, the ship has changed ownership since her last call in Nigeria,” White said.

“Members have also advised that some oil majors are attempting to introduce charterparty clauses requiring the owner to warrant that the vessel is not subject to any Nigerian bans or restrictions due to failure to report any outturn figures for prior voyages.”

INTERTANKO said it had advised members to avoid such a provision.

http://www.metronaija.com/2015/07/crude-oil-vessel-owners-challenge.html

cc: lalasticlala ishilove
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by metroparrot: 12:53pm On Jul 23, 2015
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by babyfaceafrica: 12:53pm On Jul 23, 2015
K
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 23, 2015
grin
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by gbenson(m): 12:54pm On Jul 23, 2015
The Cabals will fight back
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 23, 2015
Wetin concern me
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by boboLIL(m): 12:55pm On Jul 23, 2015
I was here
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:57pm On Jul 23, 2015
boboLIL:
I was here
me even follow u sef..
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by boboLIL(m): 1:05pm On Jul 23, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
me even follow u sef..
I de enta bedrum....u de folo me so?
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Saifullah01: 1:15pm On Jul 23, 2015
They should b careful b4 buhari slams charges on their head join the ban.
At 72 buhari has nothing to lose it is Nigeria that has everything to lose

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Dannyset(m): 1:21pm On Jul 23, 2015
Corruption is trying to fight back.
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by doctokwus: 1:34pm On Jul 23, 2015
Good.
Their pockets and businesses have started feeling the effects.
If eventually the govt lifts the ban on some of the vessels,i expect that without being prompted,some of them would even fill out true figures in multiple copies and send even to the presidency!
What they dare not do in the western world because they know that apart from losing their oil lifting licenses,the vessels themselves maybe seized and their captains prosecuted;but just because of some crooks in the corridors of power,they carried out for several years in Nigeria.
Well a new sheriff is in town and things must change.

1 Like

Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by BeeBeeOoh(m): 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2015
boboLIL:
I de enta bedrum....u de folo me so?
bedroom ke!! shocked shocked u're a hardware like me, had it been u b software
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
HeartRobber:
Wetin concern me

When they boycott your crude, it will concern you.

1 Like

Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Okontami: 3:35pm On Jul 23, 2015
They are not even Nigerian Companies. You guys should see who our real enemies are.

Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Okontami: 3:36pm On Jul 23, 2015
See their offices

Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by oduastates: 4:22pm On Jul 23, 2015
Na by force .
Nigeria no wan see una .
Una too plenty.

We do not need more than 20 mega tankers to move crude oil . Probably even less .
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by oduastates: 4:24pm On Jul 23, 2015
Okontami:
They are not even Nigerian Companies. You guys should see who our real enemies are.
You too can buy a tanker and register them anywhere for peanuts.
In the 80s , Liberia used to have the largest shipping fleet in the world . Not one of them was owned by a Liberian.
I am sure that many of those ships are owned by Nigerians
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by omowolewa: 4:51pm On Jul 23, 2015
Unvieling 'INTERTANKO' the cabal!!
Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2015
This country will soon explode with the problems this Buharidino is causing

1 Like

Re: Crude Oil Vessel Owners Challenge Buhari Ban by Splashme: 5:00pm On Jul 23, 2015
APC and Buhari want their own shipping lines to do the business.
Every other jargons they are telling us are outright lies

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Reasons Why We Must All Support Biafra / Army Buries Decomposed Bodies Of 105 Missing Soldiers In maiduguri / On Nnamdi Kanu And Rev King's Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.