Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. (28452 Views)

EFCC Interrogates Dodo On Halliburton Scandal / Halliburton Scandal: Buhari May Go After IBB, Abdulsalami, Jubril Aminu / $182m Halliburton Scandal: Buhari Orders Preparation Of Case-file (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by benoma: 8:21am On Jul 25, 2015
Dividend of democracy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:31am On Jul 25, 2015
jaybee3:

How much do you think it will cost to prosecute possibly 2 ex presidents and other powerful people with massive resources to defend themselves?

Really .

This logic is so flawed. APC is no different from PDP.

Defend corrupt people or protect them when they are in your party, crucify them and be pro Nigerian if they are in the other party.

Politics is truly a game of interest hidden under altruistic speechs of I want what's best for Nigeria.

Hypocrisy is trully a common place in politics.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 25, 2015
Whynotthetruth:
[b]Several conflicting statements from Buhari/APC posit them as being confused, dubious, vindictive, and also talks too much...They won election through lies and propaganda... and now wants to apply same strategy to governance...Examine the facts below;

1) Buhari said he will probe nobody before election; http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-i-wont-probe-past-govts/

2)Buhari says he's reopening Halliburton case prior to his US visit: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/182m-halliburton-scandal-buhari-orders-preparation-of-case-file/#sthash.0a7efsUx.dpuf

3)Buhari pleads with Obama to help in RECOVERY & subsequent PROSECUTION of over $150billion looted from Nigerià SINCE PAST DECADE including Halliburton scandal fund: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-seeks-obama-s-help-to-recover-150bn-nigerian-loot-/215177/

4)Buhari says he will probe and prosecute only Jonathan administration...how about Halliburton scandal fund?; http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/187120-buhari-will-probe-jonathans-govt-only-not-obasanjos-others presidency.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

5)Note that America has given prosecution of Halliburton scandal perpetrators as ONLY condition for release of over $140million already recovered. So does Buhari want to dash America that money already recovered?

6)Remember Buhari has boasted he will prosecute ANY corrupt official irrespective of party affiliation or status...

7)Article below may interest you too...[/b] July, 24 2015...

Early last month when it was public knowledge that Presidential Mohammadu Buhari would be visiting the United States, the already killed and buried Halliburton bribery scandal case was exhumed. I decided to use the word killed and buried because prior to that time, nothing was heard about it. Effort of the last administration of
Goodluck Jonathan to look into the matter was only perfunctory and the only person indicted then was Bodunde Adeyanju, a former Personal Assistant (PA) on Domestic Affairs to former President Olusegun Obasanjo. The PA, as usual with our dear country when there are lots of interests at play, only got a slap on the wrist and
was told to go and sin no more.But exhumed the matter was, as the president planned his US visit. [b]The information then was that, the US government was willing to refund the $140million recovered if only the Buhari government would begin prosecution of people indicted in Nigeria. In the US, former Vice President Dick Cheney was indicted because he was Halliburton CEO before becoming America’s second citizen. He was later cleared when Halliburton worked out a settlement of $35 million. The linchpin in the bribery scandal, Jeffery Tesler was also jailed 21 months and has since finished his term. The company itself was punished. The only place where not much effort was made in punishing most of the people allegedly indicted was in Nigeria.

The president’s visit to the US has since been concluded, I however cannot say whether the issue came up, but I suspect it did since the US government said it would help Nigeria in recovering all our stolen wealth and the Halliburton’s money is part of such.

However, my concern is the alleged condition given by the American government on the return of our money – that President Buhari should prosecute all the people
indicted.[/b] The president has vowed to tackle corruption. He has promised that no one would be spared even if any member of his party, the All Progressives Congress was involved. He has equally said he would probe the past administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan. Though the former president has said he should extend the probe beyond his tenure. He (Jonathan) probably had his reason for saying that especially considering what we already know. But would President Buhari be able to do this? I am especially concerned about Nigeria’s or the Halliburton’s bribery cash lying in the US. It would help the country, no doubt if this money comes back, especially now that the country is in dire financial strait.

But I have my fears whether those indicted would ever be brought to justice. Like some friends on social media argued, bringing those people allegedly indicted would
disrupt a lot of things. Their fear is understandable considering those involved. Some of them are people who played very prominent roles in the victory of President Buhari in the last election. A list on social media includes such names as Gen Abdulsalami Abubakar and Chief Don Etiebet, a former minister who both allegedly had $37.5 million hanging on them
and former President Olusegun Obasanjo, his then Vice President Atiku Abubakar, former NNPC helmsmen, Biodun Kupolokun and Gaius Obaseki, with $74million said to be tied around their waists. Others equally indicted are former Head of State, late General Sani Abacha who was believed to have collected about $40million, Chief Dan Etete, $2.5million, former Inspector General of Police, Late MD Yusuf, $75,000. The case of Yusuf was however controversial as the bribe money was given to him when he was no longer the chairman of the board of the Liquefied Natural Project that was in charge of the project at the time and was not in position to influence anything. It was even alleged then that he received the money from the Chagour brothers in London as a gift for shopping. He was chairman of the companies in which the brothers also had interest.

A social commentator and Nigeria’s coordinator at the Natural Resource Governance Institute at the time, Dauda Garuba described the scandal thus:“In terms of the personalities and the amount of money involved it is probably the biggest scandal in Nigeria’s history,”

Would the president then move against these set of people? I doubt whether that is possible. [b]Apart from the wider implications, it would create enmity for President
Buhari at this early stage of the administration in the camps of these powerful people who are his ‘friends’ and associates.[/b]Though these people worked for the president which led to his victory, they will not hesitate to overturn the applecart and work against the president. One of the factors that worked in favour of the president during the campaign and which has always endeared him to most Nigerians is the fact of his honesty, incorruptibility, courage and most importantly, his love for this country and his desire to bring back the lost glory, would this play out now?

Would the president summon that courage to follow through and prosecute these powerful people and begin the major step in ridding the country of what I call corruption infestation. It is when he does this that his name would then be written in gold. Not only that, it would set the nation on the path of rectitude and rebirth.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/daring-the-president-on-halliburton-scandal-prosecution/

CC Chessboard

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by AprokoMan: 9:29am On Jul 25, 2015
nwadiuko1:
you no call me but sha me don register grin

Btw what do you expect from a man who openly said that abacha did not steal a dime?

That's the apex of dullness and sheer stupidity grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Whynotthetruth(m): 9:46am On Jul 25, 2015
MosquitoREBIRTH:
Did u notice that after touching his heart with the truth, he suddenly didn't have words again?

cheesy;DTouching my heart really indeed...unfortunately with hypocrisy which doesn't move w hair in me...try another words...I already gave him what I needed to or you need me to type another epistle like him to please you
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 9:50am On Jul 25, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

cheesy;DTouching my heart really indeed...unfortunately with hypocrisy which doesn't move w hair in me...try another words...I already gave him what I needed to or you need me to type another epistle like him to please you
whynotthetruth, make we just forget quarrel and wish Naija well... ONE LUV bro!!
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Whynotthetruth(m): 10:02am On Jul 25, 2015
MosquitoREBIRTH:
whynotthetruth, make we just forget quarrel and wish Naija well... ONE LUV bro!!

I always do...and pointing out threats to progress as this thread did is my little contribution...More to come as events unfold wink
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by AprokoMan: 10:59am On Jul 25, 2015
[s]
aresa:

And who is this bingo and irrelevant village rif raf .....?
[/s]
Dumb fool
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by papaejima1: 11:05am On Jul 25, 2015
Heluwajohnson:
u just Prove ur high level of ignorance, with confidence, wat an empty world u explore.
the flounderings of an intellectual popinjay.
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Heluwajohnson(m): 11:12am On Jul 25, 2015
papaejima1:
the flounderings of an intellectual popinjay.
How can à popinjay holds à disposition of intelligence. Hah! Please dont ever murder ENGLISH AGAIN.
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by papaejima1: 11:18am On Jul 25, 2015
Heluwajohnson:

How can à popinjay holds à disposition of intelligence. Hah! Please dont ever murder ENGLISH AGAIN.
grin grin you just validated the appellation, "intellectual popinjay"
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by jaybee3(m): 11:43am On Jul 25, 2015
Matthewbriggs:

Really .

This logic is so flawed. APC is no different from PDP.

Defend corrupt people or protect them when they are in your party, crucify them and be pro Nigerian if they are in the other party.

Politics is truly a game of interest hidden under altruistic speechs of I want what's best for Nigeria.

Hypocrisy is trully a common place in politics.

For crying out loud Matthew, what has this got to do with APC or PDP?

I'm looking at it from the cost implication view point when it's pretty obvious the alleged are the high and mighty.

How on earth would you expect any successful prosecution against Obasanjo and Abubakar on a case such as this?

Why should we waste money to chase 150 million dollars when there really isn't any guarantee that any prosecution will be successful
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Matthewbriggs(m): 12:39pm On Jul 25, 2015
jaybee3:

For crying out loud Matthew, what has this got to do with APC or PDP?

I'm looking at it from the cost implication view point when it's pretty obvious the alleged are the high and mighty.

How on earth would you expect any successful prosecution against Obasanjo and Abubakar on a case such as this?

Why should we waste money to chase 150 million dollars when there really isn't any guarantee that any prosecution will be successful

The same logic is an even more reason PMB should not probe GEJ's tenure.

looking at it from the cost implication view point when it's pretty obvious the alleged are the high and mighty.

Why should we waste money to chase theives in GEJ's adminstration, when there really isn't any guarantee that any prosecution will be succesful.

The above is exactly how you sound right now.

I will take APC serious when hypocrisy is done with from their political dictionary.

Aside that all they are doing is just a facade, only gullible people will buy into their definition of change.

Regards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by aresa: 1:34pm On Jul 25, 2015
AprokoMan:
Dumb fool

Stop calling other people what you call your parents at home...
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by AprokoMan: 10:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
[s]
aresa:

Stop calling other people what you call your parents at home...
[/s]
Cretinous bastard slave raised in the slums of Daura..remain a dullard all ur life
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by free13: 4:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
Baba one chance.

1 Like

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by biafranqueen: 8:28pm On Jul 29, 2015
WOW good one my Dear!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Whynotthetruth(m): 10:02am On Jul 30, 2015
Re: Daring The President On Halliburton Scandal Prosecution. by Whynotthetruth(m): 10:24am On Jul 30, 2015
biafranqueen:
WOW good one my Dear!
Dalu Adadioramma cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Benue Governorship Supplementary Election Results (Live Updates) / El-Zakzaky Donates Food Items To Journalists In Kaduna / Atiku Jettisons PDP Committee Report, To Pick Okowa As Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.