Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,254 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Do You Identify As Black? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Identify As Black? (1480 Views)

Navy Burns Illegal Bunkering Site In Port Harcourt As Black Soot Takes Over / Maiduguri Residents Line Up To Identify Corpses After Boko Haram Attack (Photo) / Hestanfells (people Who Are Half White Half Black) Dont Se Yourselfs As Black ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 8:01pm On Jul 24, 2015
What do you think about the identity of being 'black'? Is it something you think about or are affected by in your day to day life? Is it something you choose to identify with or something you just have to go along with. In case your may be confused, the 'black' identity is a product of European imperialism and the people who called certain members of the human race black identified themselves as white. Before this nobody called themselves 'black'.

What I am to achieve with this thread is to see how people who are not affected by white people directly in Nigeria or even of Nigerian ancestry/identify more with Africa, how do they see themselves in relation to a 'black' identity? I always thought it was forced and didn't really mean anything for people in Africa who already know their ancestry and can relate to specific ethnic groups. It's to the point that many don't think of being 'black' at all.

What do you see yourself as?
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 25, 2015
ezeagu:
What do you think about the identity of being 'black'? Is it something you think about or are affected by in your day to day life? Is it something you choose to identify with or something you just have to go along with. In case your may be confused, the 'black' identity is a product of European imperialism and the people who called certain members of the human race black identified themselves as white. Before this nobody called themselves 'black'.

What I am to achieve with this thread is to see how people who are not affected by white people directly in Nigeria or even of Nigerian ancestry/identify more with Africa, how do they see themselves in relation to a 'black' identity? I always thought it was forced and didn't really mean anything for people in Africa who already know their ancestry and can relate to specific ethnic groups. It's to the point that many don't think of being 'black' at all.

What do you see yourself as?

I understand that it is how I am viewed in modern society but I have stopped attaching much to it (used to but not anymore). I am more of an individual of Igbo origin than anything else. Being Black is just a happenstance, a label that I hope will be obsolete one day, as "Yellow" or "Red" is for Asians and Native American.

Identifying myself as black does two things:

1. What you already said - It spins off a racial classification given to us by White enslavers as something powerful when it really isn't. "Black" in and of itself is a European word imposed on us and within its context has a lot of negative connotations. The average African did not really see himself as Black, left to his own devices.

2. It creates a weird racial dichotomy of "us vs them" where the only enemies of a Black individual are Whites or others. As an Igbo person, I know how contradictory this myth of White oppression is to my current realities. Whites have not done more harm to my people than others who I should be viewing as "fellow" blacks. Dig deep and see that "Black" is an illusion.

"White" people have killed and oppressed each other even before they encountered us too.

Honestly, this race thing is just an additional opportunity for humans to exercise their proclivity for conflict and division.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 11:57am On Jul 25, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

I understand that it is how I am viewed in modern society but I have stopped attaching much to it (used to but not anymore). I am more of an individual of Igbo origin than anything else. Being Black is just a happenstance, a label that I hope will be obsolete one day, as "Yellow" or "Red" is for Asians and Native American.

Identifying myself as black does two things:

1. What you already said - It spins off a racial classification given to us by White enslavers as something powerful when it really isn't. "Black" in and of itself is a European word imposed on us and within its context has a lot of negative connotations. The average African did not really see himself as Black, left to his own devices.

2. It creates a weird racial dichotomy of "us vs them" where the only enemies of a Black individual are Whites or others. As an Igbo person, I know how contradictory this myth of White oppression is to my current realities. Whites have not done more harm to my people than others who I should be viewing as "fellow" blacks. Dig deep and see that "Black" is an illusion.

"White" people have killed and oppressed each other even before they encountered us too.

Honestly, this race thing is just an additional opportunity for humans to exercise their proclivity for conflict and division.

That's a good point, plus the classification of black is very diverse, maybe too diverse.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 10:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
Bump. Anyone else?
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by coolzeal(m): 11:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
In Africa, we are not obsess with the color of our skin and we pretty much identify ourselves with our clans, tribes or country of origin. Black is simply a color and shouldn't be use on human.

1 Like

Re: Do You Identify As Black? by oluwalfa: 11:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
U sound like a victim of classification
Black identification is not against you even though the term black is filled with negativity
It is only a term to differentiate us from others, it is not our exact colour (though some people in Senegal will make you think twice)
As much as we didn't identify ourselves as black before meeting other races, others, like the Whites didn't identify themselves as such neither
We needed these identifications
What would you have called us? Dark Brown? Black was easier and if we are suffering any discrimination it is our fault (Fela) not because of whatever colour we are identified with
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 1:55pm On Aug 05, 2015
oluwalfa:
Black identification is not against you even though the term black is filled with negativity
It is only a term to differentiate us from others, it is not our exact colour (though some people in Senegal will make you think twice)
As much as we didn't identify ourselves as black before meeting other races, others, like the Whites didn't identify themselves as such neither
What would you have called us? Dark Brown? Black was easier and if we are suffering any discrimination it is our fault (Fela) not because of whatever colour we are identified with

I'm talking about the political and historic context of black. 'Black people' didn't call themselves black, black is a very loose term that can mean anything form a Somalian to a pacific islander. Europeans used these terms as a tool of racial classification and is rooted in slavery and colonisation. It is meant to be in contrast with 'white', therefore many people in Africa do not really know about being black, do people in your village identify as 'black people'? That is why I ask if you identify as black.

1 Like

Re: Do You Identify As Black? by oluwalfa: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2015
ezeagu:

I'm talking about the political and historic context of black. 'Black people' didn't call themselves black, black is a very loose term that can mean anything form a Somalian to a pacific islander. Europeans used these terms as a tool of racial classification and is rooted in slavery and colonisation. It is meant to be in contrast with 'white', therefore many people in Africa do not really know about being black, do people in your village identify as 'black people'? That is why I ask if you identify as black.

Did white people call themselves white?
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 3:13pm On Aug 05, 2015
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 3:18pm On Aug 05, 2015
You mean somebody is actually Black in colour?

May be few thousands but yet, why not brown?
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 3:27pm On Aug 05, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
You mean somebody is actually Black in colour?

May be few thousands but yet, why not brown?

Not literally, as in the sociopolitical term 'black'.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by oluwalfa: 4:15pm On Aug 05, 2015
ezeagu:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people#Modern_racial_hierarchies

exactly!

Whites had no need to identify themselves as "whites" until they met other races.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 4:32pm On Aug 05, 2015
oluwalfa:

exactly!

Whites had no need to identify themselves as "whites" until they met other races.

It's gone way over your head. The idea of 'races' by skin colour is an invention of Europe. The idea that a Somalian and Nigerian are one race is of European doing. The fact that you can't see out of this paradigm means you are unable to identify the conditioning you've undergone.

Your original question was 'did white people call themselves white?', which I'm assuming was an assumption that white people were named so by members of other so called races, and the fact is that they weren't. White people called themselves white people and called others black, brown, and so on.

Now the simple question is (it's really quite simple), taking the 'exonymic' history and sociopolitical slant of 'black' into account, do you identify as a black person?
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by nwadiuko1(m): 4:47pm On Aug 05, 2015
I be IGBO man grin
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 4:52pm On Aug 05, 2015
nwadiuko1:
I be IGBO man grin

So you wouldn't identify as black in the sense of voluntarily or apart from any kind of reason to do so like when you are targeted for being black. What I mean is that there are some (westernised) Africans who identify with black as part of 'Pan-Africanism' or "racial pride", but others understand that black is something that they have to deal with and only identify with it out of necessity.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by nwadiuko1(m): 5:03pm On Aug 05, 2015
ezeagu:

So you wouldn't identify as black in the sense of voluntarily or apart from any kind of reason to do so like when you are targeted for being black. What I mean is that there are some (westernised) Africans who identify with black as part of 'Pan-Africanism' or "racial pride", but others understand that black is something that they have to deal with and only identify with it out of necessity.
to me I don't see being black as a form of identity.....there is no reason or there has really been no reason for me to take pride or shame in being black..........I see the fact That am black just like the fact that am a man and not a woman

Hope u get my drift
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by oluwalfa: 5:32pm On Aug 05, 2015
ezeagu:

It's gone way over your head. The idea of 'races' by skin colour is an invention of Europe. The idea that a Somalian and Nigerian are one race is of European doing. The fact that you can't see out of this paradigm means you are unable to identify the conditioning you've undergone.

Your original question was 'did white people call themselves white?', which I'm assuming was an assumption that white people were named so by members of other so called races, and the fact is that they weren't. White people called themselves white people and called others black, brown, and so on.

Now the simple question is (it's really quite simple), taking the 'exonymic' history and sociopolitical slant of 'black' into account, do you identify as a black person?

I understand where you are coming from but you seem to be confusing a few things
It is true that there is no single unique "black race" as even in Nigeria, I have nothing in common with Musa. But this difference is not readily seen by an outsider. Likewise, a Danish is very different from a Spanish even though we call them whites.
Moreover, other people did call them white. In my language, we had always called them "ndi ocha" which means white or bright people. And we call ourselves "ndi ojii" which means dark or black people. We never called ourselves "ndi ojii" until we met other races. And white europeans did not invent Igbo language.
Now to answer your last question, I am a black man but I am not black.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 8:02pm On Aug 05, 2015
oluwalfa:

I understand where you are coming from but you seem to be confusing a few things
It is true that there is no single unique "black race" as even in Nigeria, I have nothing in common with Musa. But this difference is not readily seen by an outsider. Likewise, a Danish is very different from a Spanish even though we call them whites.
Moreover, other people did call them white. In my language, we had always called them "ndi ocha" which means white or bright people. And we call ourselves "ndi ojii" which means dark or black people. We never called ourselves "ndi ojii" until we met other races. And white europeans did not invent Igbo language.
Now to answer your last question, I am a black man but I am not black.

I'm inclined to think ndi ocha and ndi oji were introduced via the discourse on race, I say this because of, 1. Albinos, and 2. historically terms such as oyibo and beke were used for 'white people' by Igbo people, even in the West Indies. But I see that your argument is that naturally people would see the difference of the so called races via skin colour, which may be true, but then we have to actually question if these were seen as 'races' in the European sense.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by oluwalfa: 9:45pm On Aug 05, 2015
ezeagu:

I'm inclined to think ndi ocha and ndi oji were introduced via the discourse on race, I say this because of, 1. Albinos, and 2. historically terms such as oyibo and beke were used for 'white people' by Igbo people, even in the West Indies. But I see that your argument is that naturally people would see the difference of the so called races via skin colour, which may be true, but then we have to actually question if these were seen as 'races' in the European sense.

Even if it is beke, oyibo, or onye ocha, the fact remains that we use these terms to differentiate them from ourselves. And we use these terms collectively for people that are racially and geographically so far from each other, from the japanese man to the european to the south american, they are all "onye ocha" to us just as we are Africans are all "black" to them.
So I see it as ignorance not prejudice.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by delishpot: 10:22pm On Aug 05, 2015
I am African. I am not Black. Maybe brown but deff not black.do we realy have black people? Maybe its time for so called black people to reject that term black.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by delishpot: 10:25pm On Aug 05, 2015
oluwalfa:

You don suck oyinbo breast for too long. Whites have always identified themselves as whites. Inshort in those days being white as in white as china plate was considered classy and stylish and people esp women applied makeup to look white as snow.
I am def not black. I am African das all. If tgey must give me a cololr let it be what I am. BROWN
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 10:29pm On Aug 05, 2015
oluwalfa:

Even if it is beke, oyibo, or onye ocha, the fact remains that we use these terms to differentiate them from ourselves. And we use these terms collectively for people that are racially and geographically so far from each other, from the japanese man to the european to the south american, they are all "onye ocha" to us just as we are Africans are all "black" to them.
So I see it as ignorance not prejudice.

I think you're looking at this from now, and I'm trying to look at this from the before. If you see it before, then you will understand that the idea of black and white being racial categorisations was a European one, as opposed to just a term for a physical feature, there are other features that separate human groups by the way. Race says there is something inherently different about a group of people because of the way they look, the term also makes a distinction between humans, whereas Africans do not tend to see inherent qualities in people based on their looks but on other things like culture and religion. This is why a black person can be called 'beke', 'oyibo', or even 'onye ocha'.
Re: Do You Identify As Black? by ezeagu(m): 10:34pm On Aug 05, 2015
delishpot:
I am African. I am not Black. Maybe brown but deff not black.do we realy have black people? Maybe its time for so called black people to reject that term black.

Black is more of a political term, yes initially Europeans used it in an extreme way to classify the darkest people they saw (which is evidence of how the name is very foreign), but it has come to have a meaning of 'people of African descent' mostly to those who are of slave African descent. My question is more of aligning with that term, black, and its political implications, history, and even its ideas of racial ascension,

e.g http://www.britannica.com/topic/Universal-Negro-Improvement-Association
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A9gritude
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Power

(1) (Reply)

Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Install As Baba Oba Of Ikorodu Today / An Igbo Will Make A Better President Compared To Yoruba And Hausa. / How The Yoruba Can Deal With The Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.