Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,303 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ (17671 Views)

FFK Blasts US Senator Leahy For Calling Nigerian Soldiers "Rapists & Murderers" / Reaction Of Senator Patrick Leahy To Nigerian President Buhari’s / Patrick Leahy Blasts Buhari Discrediting American Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by lalasticlala(m): 8:55am On Jul 25, 2015
Patrick Leahy – sponsor of the Leahy Law (or Leahy amendment) that prohibits the US Department of State and Department of Defence from providing military assistance to foreign military units that violate human rights with impunity – believes that President Muhammadu Buhari’s opinion of the effect of the law on the war against Boko Haram is “misdirected”.

Leaahy said neither he nor the law could be blamed for the atrocities committed by the “murderers and rapists in the Nigerian military”.

“It is well-documented by the State Department and by respected human rights organisations that Nigerian army personnel have, for many years, engaged in a pattern and practice of gross violations of human rights against the Nigerian people and others, including summary executions of prisoners, indiscriminate attacks against civilians, torture, forced disappearances and rape. Rarely have the perpetrators been prosecuted or punished,” he said

“This abusive conduct not only violates the laws of war, it creates fear and loathing among the Nigerian people whose support is necessary to defeat a terrorist group like Boko Haram.

“President Buhari ignores the undisputed fact that most Nigerian army units have been approved, under the Leahy Law, for U.S. training and equipment. Only those particular units against which there is credible evidence of the most heinous crimes are ineligible for U.S. aid. And even those units can again become eligible if the Nigerian Government takes effective steps to bring the responsible individuals to justice.

“I strongly agree with President Buhari about the need to defeat Boko Haram, and I have supported tens of millions of dollars in U.S. aid to Nigeria for that purpose. But rather than suggest that the United States is at fault for not funding murderers and rapists in the Nigerian military, he should face up to his own responsibility to effectively counter Boko Haram. He should direct his attention to the Nigerian military, and the Nigerian courts, and clean up the units implicated in such atrocities.”

Speaking at the United States Institute for Peace (USIP) on Wednesday, Buhari had lamented that the law “aided and abetted” the campaign of bloodletting of Boko Haram, urging the US government to review it so that it could provide the needed assistance to Nigeria to crush Boko Haram.

“In our efforts at combating the activities of Boko Haram, the new government has sought and obtained the support of not only our neighbours other international friends and partners. Regrettably, the blanket application of the Leahy Law by the United States on the grounds of unproven allegations of human rights violations levelled against our forces has denied us access to appropriate strategic weapons to prosecute the war against the insurgents,” he had said.

“In the face of abduction of innocent school girls from their hostels, indiscriminate bombings of civilians in markets and places of worship, our forces have remained largely impotent because they do not possess the appropriate weapons and technology which they could have had, had the so-called human rights violations not been an obstacle.

“Unwittingly, and I dare say, unintentionally, the application of the Leahy law amendment by the U. S. Government has aided and abetted the Boko Haram terrorist group in the prosecution of its extremist ideology and hate, the indiscriminate killings and maiming of civilians, in raping of women and girls, and in their other heinous crimes. I believe this is not the spirit of the Leahy Laws. I know the American people cannot support any group engaged in these crimes.”

Buhari’s spokesman, Femi Adesina, subsequently attempted to harp on the innocence of the president’s comment.

https://www.thecable.ng/leahy-buhari-cant-blame-us-not-funding-murderers-rapists-nigerian-military#.VbMjiJS1x7o.twitter

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by knightsTempler: 8:56am On Jul 25, 2015
Americans and double standard. Smh!

What about the atrocities committed by the America military in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and in numerous countries around the globe.

What about American atrocities of introducing chaos and ushering jihadist in countries like Iraq, Libya, Syria, Yemen and so many countries around the globe.

What about American atrocity of wanting to force legalization of Gay marriages down our throat.

The list of atrocities committed by America and it's government is numerous, so stop with double standard.

If the America govt has other reason not to sell us arm, they should say it, instead of using silly excuses...I'm just fed up with their double standard.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by EasternLion: 8:58am On Jul 25, 2015
Not only rapists

They are armed boys scout who specialize in punishing innocent citizens and road users.

They derive so much pleasure in commanding people to do frog jump.
At the end of the day, "America will know", now America have known. undecided

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1451728_frog_jpg34667f96bd19c658f96538fda87dc98e

[img]http://3.bp..com/-P_GCfkp61jc/VYF8g0Rsi3I/AAAAAAAFltA/Ibg9OKx21f0/s1600/4.jpg[/img]

57 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 25, 2015
Again, rational ignorance is a universal phenomenon.

3 Likes

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 25, 2015
Nothing good comes out from the Army. Even my mumsy dad na Old sodja. Some of that Re****ed training rubbed off her. She can boss around till I stood up to her face and told her"GO F*** YOURSELF" undecided undecided undecided. Nigerian army and bad luck is like X and O. undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Greenarrow01(m): 9:03am On Jul 25, 2015
COUNTRY WITH DOUBLE STANDARDS
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 25, 2015
No matter my Political affiliation, I will still respect and praise our armed forces that havee stood gallantly against the forces of evil called BH.

God bless Nigeria Army

God bless Nigeria Airforce

God bless Nigeria Navy

God bless, No do anything you like with Nigeria Police

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by MizMyColi(f): 9:05am On Jul 25, 2015
This is the kind of insult you get, when you accord so much importance to a people who do not care about you.

You lick their a55 like your life depended on it.

They pummel you front and rear like their lives depended on it.

But my people never learn.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 25, 2015
The failure of Buhari Trip to the US has started rearing its head even before I came back from ban

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by MizMyColi(f): 9:06am On Jul 25, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Typing

Welcome back from Nairaland States Prison.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 25, 2015
MizMyColi:
This is the kind of insult you get, when you accord so much importance to a people who do not care about you.

You lick their a55 like your life depended on it.

They pummel you front and rear like their lives depended on it.

But my people never learn.
How will someone like beremx understand this thing you just posted.

You could have just typed,

America is Stupid and you will see her like your comment.

2 Likes

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by simeonii(m): 9:09am On Jul 25, 2015
shocked
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by dabiko(m): 9:11am On Jul 25, 2015
This is not nice, why use such word for our gallant men
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Badosqi(m): 9:29am On Jul 25, 2015
This man abi senator is mad and crazy.
But can i really blame this senator..... HELL NO.
This is what happens when you run around looking for almighty saviour from another place to come and help you solve your problem.
Dul-lardinho 15m Nigerians voted for you, they didn't vote for Obama so stop the I Will crusade and get ur stinky As.s to work.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by ObiOkpor(m): 9:31am On Jul 25, 2015
If he calls our soldiers all sorts of names,then American soldiers are the commanders of gayism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by CallPolice: 9:32am On Jul 25, 2015
I blame our ex president.
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 25, 2015
Two sides to this.

First, no one can deny that soldiers of the Nigerian Army act with little regard to human decency. I guess it's the long years that the army spent in absolute power that corrupted them. You see some young men today wishing to be in the army (not because of a love of Nigeria, but because of the "powers" that come with being in the army). Where other countries beg their citizens to join the army, people bribe to join the Nigerian army. So in the strict sense of the law, the US is right that there are cases of human abuse the NA has to answer for.

On the other hand, you can't help but notice the crass hypocrisy of the US. They give more military aid to Israel than to any other country. Yet, time and time again, the Israeli military engage in blatant human abuse against its neighbours and is own citizens who are of Arab descent.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=44296

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/aug/26/israeli-soldiers-mistreatment-palestinian-children

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/05/israeli-soldiers-admit-gaza-war-atrocities-150504191146520.html

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/01/29/israel/palestine-abuses-dominate-gaza-fighting

Why this double standard? They give massive military aid to Ukraine which has been killing thousands of its own citizens who are "pro-Russia". Why the double standard? The list goes on and on. Egypt, Colombia...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by ogunwalea(m): 9:47am On Jul 25, 2015
He might be saying the truth undecided

1 Like

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Afrocatalyst: 9:48am On Jul 25, 2015
Oh really? And what are American soldiers? Terrorists cum ass crackers.
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by UnknownT: 9:48am On Jul 25, 2015
I dont blame the man, i only blame our leaders that feel America is our saviour. To buy arms, america. To probe thieves, america. To fight boko haram, america. To improve economy, america. Upto thanking america for GEJ seeing reason to conduct election and handover. Not forgetting the 'america will know' chat. Let our leaders keep embarrassing us, its sad though

8 Likes

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by excusemyfrench(m): 9:48am On Jul 25, 2015
Are they not rapists before?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by bluntspade: 9:49am On Jul 25, 2015
I started hating nigerian soldiers the day they told me to do frog jump because i did not quickly stop when they told me to the bastards told me to start doing frogjump from where i latered stopped over 200m i won die that day.

5 Likes

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by NifemiOlu(m): 9:49am On Jul 25, 2015
Every national army is guilty of rape especially in war and Peace keeping duties...not only Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 25, 2015
Why won't him call NA rapist, was it not same thing the opposition and most Nigerians branded NA? When we go about castigating ourselves what do we expect outsiders to do?

3 Likes

Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by kenedy175(m): 9:49am On Jul 25, 2015
We brought this insults upon our selves. Just because we tried seeking help from them.

They be feeling like a demi- god

Who can remind me why PMB visited the US again?
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Adenugay(m): 9:50am On Jul 25, 2015
Really?

Real Reasons Tonto Dikeh And Mercy Johnson Are At Loggerheads Exposed!
>>> http://www...com/2015/07/real-reasons-tonto-dikeh-and-mercy.html
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Swagk101(m): 9:50am On Jul 25, 2015
NifemiOlu:
Every national army is guilty of rape especially in war and Peace keeping duties...not only Nigeria.
Yessir!!!
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by ITSAWRAPP: 9:50am On Jul 25, 2015
Generalization is the lowest level of knowledge. Some military officers can be mean and callous but we still got some sane and patriotic officers.

We shall over the Boko Someday very soon.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

Fellow Nairalanders, please check out our incredible offer below
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by Damayor12(m): 9:51am On Jul 25, 2015
Truth is, The Leahy Dude is right to some extent, Abeg help us tell Baba-Go-Slow to fix his country to an extent before he goes around ass-licking his fellow presidents.. undecided

But Really, Us and Obama can go fvck themselves with their silly regulations..
Nigerians will fix Nigeria! #Sovreign cool
Re: Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ by gatiano(m): 9:51am On Jul 25, 2015
What about the french(white) soldiers raping underage girls in the Congo? perhaps little boys too. These white people are nothing other than the devil.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tears Of Joy As Gov. Ugwuanyi Visits Victims Of Fire Outbreak At Abakpa Nike, En / RMAFC: Some CBN, NPA Employees Earn More Salaries Than Buhari / Osinbanjo And Okowa Visit Focados Oil Terminal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.