Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy (4109 Views)

Yoruba Elders Accuse Buhari Of Marginalizing The South & Favouring The North / Christian Elders Accuse Buhari Of Islamizing Nigeria Through Backdoor / EFCC Invites Tompolo Over NIMASA University Land Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 25, 2015
Less than a week after President Muhammad Buhari appointed Calistus Obi, an Igbo by ethnicity, as acting director general/chief executive of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), the president today raised eyebrows when he approved the appointment of Haruna Baba Jauro as the new acting DG of NIMASA. The new appointee, Mr. Jauro, is from the northeastern state of Yobe and an Hausa by ethnicity.

Mr. Buhari’s unexplained removal of Mr. Obi and his appointment of Mr. Jauro has sparked accusations in political circles that the president was unduly filling major posts with individuals from the northern part of Nigeria where he hails from. 

Mr. Obi, who lost his less-than weeklong job today, is from Anambra State in southeastern Nigeria. Critics quickly point to the appointment of Mrs. Amina Bala Zakari as acting Chairperson of the Independent Nationation Electoral Commission (INEC) who remained office despite the expiration of her tenure since July 21 2015.

A prominent politician from Anambra State, who asked that his name not be disclosed, told SaharaReporters that he and several other Igbo figures were troubled by President Buhari’s action on the leadership of NIMASA. 

“Anybody who knows about maritime issues can tell you that [Calistus] Obi is very knowledgeable,” said the source, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party. He added, “Why would Mr. President remove him after just a few days, even though he was appointed in an acting capacity? What was the hurry in firing him? And it is interesting that Alhaji Jauro’s appointment is also in acting capacity.”

Another politician from the southwest zone also questioned today’s presidential appointment. The politician, who belongs to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), told SaharaReporters that there was widespread worry that Mr. Buhari’s appointments so far “have been more than 90% in favor of northerners and Muslims.”

Last week, speaking at the United Institute of Peace in Washington, DC, Mr. Buhari had stated that he should not be expected to treat areas that gave him 97% of their votes the same way as those that gave him only five percent. After realizing the political implications of his reckless statement, the Nigerian president made a belated attempt to correct the faux pas.

A member of President Buhari’s delegation to the US reportedly told several people in Washington, DC that Mr. Buhari seemed to listen only to members of his inner circle, led by former Nigerian Defense Minister, Theophilus Y. Danjuma.
http://saharareporters.com/2015/07/25/buhari-appoints-two-acting-dgs-week-sparking-allegations-ethnic-favoritism
Cc lalasticlala , ishilove
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 25, 2015
As much as I love President Buhari, I think he has to learn a lesson or two in sensitivity to tribal issues and more

I mean no matter how good his intention is, removing a South easterner only to replace with a Northerner isn't the best thing to do right now

Anyway, God bless PMB, God bless FRN

May the Change be positive, may our expectations not be cut off

Amen

BTW, one ogbonge tori dey here~
https://samueliyanu./2015/07/21/the-chronicles-of-corper-sam/

4 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Xzevian(m): 7:08pm On Jul 25, 2015
Me self don port to daura. PMB where is my own share of appointment? Sebi na daura things.......
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by INTROVERT(f): 7:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
The Change chanters already changing tone this early.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 25, 2015
desert reporters at it again...
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 25, 2015
Watching things closely
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by fulanimafia: 7:13pm On Jul 25, 2015
The timing of this appointment is not the best, but there is nothing irregular about Jauros ascension as he was the most senior officer.

If the removed DG was so competent, he wouldn't have abandoned his job post for days after he was appointed, making way for Jauro.

3 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by UnknownT: 7:14pm On Jul 25, 2015
when it suits them, they play the MOST SENIOR card, when it doesn't suit them, they play the MOST COMPETENT card.
And I believe that politician from Anambra that was anonymous must be an APC memeber. He is prolly afraid how people will react wink

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by LordVarys: 7:14pm On Jul 25, 2015
That decision was very ill thought in my opinion, Buhari's handlers are not sensitive to the ease with which his appointments are beginning to look suspiciously bigoted

8 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 25, 2015
[quote author=INTROVERT post=36266751][/quote]

Eeya

Even me sef don beat Introvert this time, ehehehe

Introvert, oya check this out, you need it, check my signature and apply
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by vedaxcool(m): 7:17pm On Jul 25, 2015
OP is dishonorable sahara is not making any allegations rather it is reporting people's allegations.

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 25, 2015
Now this is funny, has Sowore not been paid his July fee....
Cc lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Xzevian(m): 7:22pm On Jul 25, 2015
[quote author=INTROVERT post=36266751][/quote] Introvert mi o se mo fimile!
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jul 25, 2015
fulanimafia:
The timing of this appointment is not the best, but there is nothing irregular about Jauros ascension as he was the most senior officer.

If the removed DG was so competent, he wouldn't have abandoned his job post for days after he was appointment, making way for Jauro.
There's a limit to sycophancy........loyalty does not entail blind support, if Buhari wakes up and shits on the constitution, you hapless supporters would still find a way to justify and spin it

9 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by PassingShot(m): 7:25pm On Jul 25, 2015
fulanimafia:

If the removed DG was so competent, he wouldn't have abandoned his job post for days after he was appointment, making way for Jauro.
PMB is wrong to have changed Obi. He should have just allowed him to stay on even if there was an error. I hope the president doesn't self destruct.

2 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
PMB will never know what hit him if this his mouth piece turns agaainst him.
BUt
Who takes SR serious

2 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
Where are those baboons that voted this tribalist into power?

6 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Rohjay90: 7:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
Although i am a PMB fan, i will honestly say he hasn't followed the federal character principle of appointments. He should know that doing this give more room for wailing wailers to say "we told you not to vote him".
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by fulanimafia: 7:33pm On Jul 25, 2015
PassingShot:

PMB is wrong to have changed Obi. He should have just allowed him to stay on even if there was an error. I hope the president doesn't self destruct.

I understand where you are coming from, I also have my strong reservations. What I have noticed is that PMB is not a crowd pleaser, but a man that sticks to principle regardless of whose ox is gored. While that might not be ideal in a complex nation like Nigeria, what cannot be argued is that Nigerians have to learn to be disciplined enough to embrace diversity and end the habit of examining everything through ethnic lens if we are to develop.

The point I am trying to make is that if PMB applies the same principle of merit that threw up Jauro, to firing him once he fails, then Nigerians will quickly channel their energies from their tribal antagonism to exploiting the opportunities presented by an optimally functioning agency.

Yes it was not ideal, but it was not wrong either.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by UnknownT: 7:34pm On Jul 25, 2015
Rohjay90:
Although i am a PMB fan, i will honestly say he hasn't followed the federal character principle of appointments. He should know that doing this give more room for wailing wailers to say "we told you not to vote him".
In Femi Adesina's voice, " there are about 6000 appointments to be made by Buhari" but Buhari will first settle the people that gave him 97% votes gringrin

6 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Mogidi: 7:34pm On Jul 25, 2015
[size=15pt]Another politician from the southwest zone also questioned today’s presidential appointment.[/size] The politician, who belongs to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), told SaharaReporters that there was widespread worry that Mr. Buhari’s appointments so far “have been more than 90% in favor of northerners and Muslims.”

Seems those from the SW are just realising what we said before the election. Its only going to get worse, by the time Buhari becomes very comfortable in power, expect Tinubu to be hounded by Buhari. I can bet my last kobo Buhari and Tinubu won't be allies by this time next year.

5 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:35pm On Jul 25, 2015
The report said Jauro is Hausa. Incorrect....Jauro is a Fulani name.

1 Like

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 25, 2015
PassingShot:

The only Zombie with an atom of sense in the camp of Zombies, can you kindly give beremx just 2% of your senses

9 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by margclever: 7:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
fulanimafia:

why cant u pull sentiments aside and say the truth for once. It will stop u from being a fulani cow with sawdurst as brain . Oya defend that inec. Agbaya

5 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by ifelovemi: 7:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
LordVarys:
That decision was very ill thought in my opinion, Buhari's handlers are not sensitive to the ease with which his appointments are beginning to look suspiciously bigoted

So because of ethnicity we should allow a junior officer to rule over his senior. what happen to doing the right thing allways.

Note, Buhari is not here to pacify any ethnic group by doing what is wrong. My Igbo brothers should wait until we have considerable appointments before they start shouting marginalization, So far most appointments are still fallowing the same pattern of the most senior officer to take over, which i think is fear enough.
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by fulanimafia: 7:38pm On Jul 25, 2015
TheImp:

There's a limit to sycophancy........loyalty does not entail blind support, if Buhari wakes up and shits on the constitution, you hapless supporters would still find a way to justify and spin it

Disprove my statement, there's no point getting emotional sir.
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by JBismarck(m): 7:38pm On Jul 25, 2015
Hmm
Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 25, 2015
fulanimafia:

I understand where you are coming from, I also have my strong reservations. What I have noticed is that PMB is not a crowd pleaser, but a man that sticks to principle regardless of whose ox is gored. While that might not be ideal in a complex nation like Nigeria, what cannot be argued is that Nigerians have to be learn to be disciplined enough to embrace diversity and end the habit of examining everything through ethnic lens if we are to develop.

The point I am trying to make is that if PMB applies the same principle of merit that threw up Jauro, to firing him once he fails, then Nigerians will quickly channel their energies from their tribal antagonism to exploiting the opportunities presented by an optimally functioning agency.

Yes it was not ideal, but it was not wrong either.
I think you need to analyse the INEC chairperson also since Jega handed over to the most senior officer but PMB rescinded it.

There is no way you can wash tribal bigotry away from DAFTUS

12 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Mogidi: 7:41pm On Jul 25, 2015
PassingShot:

Someone wake me from this dream!!!

5 Likes

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:41pm On Jul 25, 2015
Also, this is an appointment but rather a succession. The President's instruction was to hand over to the next most senior Director. The Presidency accepted Obi but Jauro filed grievamce to Civil Service who reviewed records and found his grievance had merit and therefore corrected the succession.

Presidency has no blame in this at all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy by Candyrain(m): 7:44pm On Jul 25, 2015
fulanimafia:

If the removed DG was so competent, he wouldn't have abandoned his job post for days after he was appointed, making way for Jauro.

You should be ashamed of yourself. I would have been surprised if you posted anything different.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerians More Passionate about Biafra Than Nigeria? / Is The geographical "NORTH" More Populated Than The geographical "SOUTH" / Will Abuja Overtake Lagos As The Largest Urban Area In Nigeria Soon?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.