Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop (44845 Views)

Patience Jonathan: "EFCC Sent Assassins After Me, Bugged My Phones" / From London To Abuja In 50 Days: Buhari’s Return -Reuben Abati / Irate Nigerians React To Reuben Abati's My Phone No Longer Ring Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 25, 2015
As spokesman to President Goodluck Jonathan, my phones rang endlessly and became more than personal navigators within the social space. They defined my entire life; dusk to dawn, all year-round. The phones buzzed non-stop, my email was permanently active; my twitter account received tons of messages per second. The worst moments were those days when there was a Boko Haram attack virtually every Sunday.

The intrusion into my private life was total as my wife complained about her sleep being disrupted by phones that never seemed to stop ringing. Besides, whenever I was not checking or responding to the phones, I was busy online trying to find out if the APC had said something contrarian or some other fellow was up to any mischief. A media manager in the 21st century is a slave of the Breaking News, a slave particularly of the 24-hour news cycle, and a potential nervous breakdown case. Debo Adesina, my colleague at The Guardian once said I was running a “one week, one trouble schedule”. There were actually moments when trouble knocked on the door every hour, and duty required my team and I to respond to as many issues that came up.

Top of the task list was the management of phone calls related to the principal. In my first week on the job, for example, one of my phones ran out of battery and I had taken the liberty to charge it. While it was still in the off mode, the “Control Room”: the all-powerful communications centre at the State House tried to reach me. They had only just that phone number, so I couldn’t be reached. When eventually they did, the fellow at the other end was livid.

“SA Media, where are you? We have been trying to reach you. Mr President wants to speak with you”

“Sorry, I was charging my phone. The phone was off.”

“Sir, you can’t switch off your phone now. Mr President must be able to reach you at any time. You must always be available.” I was like: “really? Which kin job be dis?”

The Control Room eventually collected all my phone numbers. If I did not pick up a call on time, they called my wife. Sometimes the calls came directly from the Residence, as we referred to the President’s official quarters.

“Abati, Oga dey call you!”

If I still could not be reached, every phone that was ever connected to me would ring non-stop. Busy bodies who had just picked up the information that Abati was needed also often took it upon themselves to track me down. My wife soon got used to her being asked to produce me, or a car showing up to take me straight to the Residence. I eventually got used to it, and learnt to remain on duty round-the-clock. In due course, President Jonathan himself would call directly. My wife used to joke that each time there was a call from him, even if I was sleeping, I would spring to my feet and without listening to what he had to say, I would start with a barrage of “Yes sirs”! Other calls that could not be joked with were calls from my own office. Something could come up that would require coverage, or there could be a breaking story, or it could be something as harmless as office gossip, except that in the corridors of power, nothing is ever harmless. Looking back now, I still can’t figure out how I survived that onslaught of the terror of the telephone.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/the-phones-no-longer-ring-by-reuben-abati-2/

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by SouthernBreeze(m): 9:32pm On Jul 25, 2015
Nice one sir. You did your job very well and we're missing you already. The dude that replaced you talks from the both side of his mouth and doesn't make sense like you

206 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 25, 2015
I thank God on your behalf

32 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by AMBIVERT(f): 9:36pm On Jul 25, 2015
Your rest is well deserved.

Jonathan's legacy lives on.

128 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by daniska3yaro(m): 9:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
Miss ur childish talk,like we are on top of the situation or president gej will setup a committee to look into it,nothing still change sef till now.

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Mogidi: 9:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
Abati is a genius at managing information, the duo of Garba/Adesina are learners. Adesina says one thing in the morning and Garba rebuts same narrative in the evening, bunch of amateurs.

165 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Sunofgod(m): 9:38pm On Jul 25, 2015
Reuben who?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by AMBIVERT(f): 9:38pm On Jul 25, 2015
atarapa:
I thank God on your behave.

It's behalf sir.

154 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by kamair237(m): 9:41pm On Jul 25, 2015
use and dump...
werty he don see....??

6 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jul 25, 2015
Jonathan has stopped calling shocked

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by SaiBuharii: 9:45pm On Jul 25, 2015
Abati the house boy!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by gsparks01(m): 9:46pm On Jul 25, 2015
Who cares?? undecided

26 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by freedom96: 9:46pm On Jul 25, 2015
Kikiki.....u mean all those nairaland Tanoids no dey call u again?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Neduzze5(m): 9:46pm On Jul 25, 2015
Lolz..... It's a normal thing. Even me that works in Shell, I know how many times my phones ring in a day, from workers to job seekers to TV personnels that want me to participate in an interview and so on.

Thank God my IPhone 6+ battery is very strong!!

11 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by shedrack2222: 9:46pm On Jul 25, 2015
Good for him

How to Kis$ Pa$$ionately and Romantically

[url]proudlyweb.com/how-to-kiss-paionately-and-romantically[/url]
Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 25, 2015
Thank you GEJ for letting peace reign.

Now, the masturbators will quote me
https://www.nairaland.com/2476938/nigerians-voted-change-not-acts

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by omenka(m): 9:48pm On Jul 25, 2015
Is this supposed to be news

7 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Dcaliphate(m): 9:48pm On Jul 25, 2015
mumu give me ur number let me put it on redial.. na u go tire

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by LordMecuzy(m): 9:49pm On Jul 25, 2015
I need that kind of stressful job because of the pay and Nigeria massive corruption...

Many Nigerians are working 18hours in Factories with no protective kits for 15k

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by youngaz(m): 9:49pm On Jul 25, 2015
really undecided undecided undecided undecidednd so cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Chiefpriest1(m): 9:49pm On Jul 25, 2015
The complete part will appear in the papers tomorrow.

Fact is that nobody holds that position and remains the same, especially with problematic principals.

Even Femi Adesina is already having his fair share of the fire. In the fullness of time, we ll know whether he will go the way of others.

Remi Oyo (may her soul RIP) carried herself with so much dignity during her time.

Abati, for me remains one of the best columnists ever produced by Nigeria.

20 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by encryptjay(m): 9:49pm On Jul 25, 2015
But who cares?

6 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by kenedy175(m): 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2015
Ayah
Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2015
Fxck outta here nigga,i get more calls than you nigga,and im only a love-vendor.

1 Like

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Bollove: 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2015
!!! aba .... Abatically .....

As if say e no dey enjoy am as ihm phone dey ring nonstop .... Loser !!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Precious91(m): 9:50pm On Jul 25, 2015
you can kill it na
Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by jazinogold(m): 9:51pm On Jul 25, 2015
I guess it must b a China fone...

2 Likes

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by MARKone(m): 9:51pm On Jul 25, 2015
cheesy

Nice little piece. Loved the man's Baritone voice.

1 Like

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 25, 2015
God bless President GEJ

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by allawizzow(m): 9:52pm On Jul 25, 2015
M
Re: Reuben Abati: My Phones No Longer Ring Nonstop by Flashh: 9:52pm On Jul 25, 2015
Nonsense!

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Is It Because It's Buhari? Can't Suffer & Smile Because My Bro Is President" / Cameroonian Soldiers Arrive Gwoza, Nigeria (Photos) / Nigerians React after President Buhari said he will win today(PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.