Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls (63490 Views)

She Has Been Menstruating For Over 2 Weeks, Please Help! / (HEALTH) 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls / 10 Watermelon Facts That Might Surprise You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by 6fit(f): 8:00pm On Jul 27, 2015
Giftedgreen:
A lot of people think it’s weird to talk about periods, but not us. Menstrual cycles are part of our biology, just like the nervous system or the billions of cells that make up our bodies.

Periods has been ignored by the society so much that most girls are left to find out about their bodies on their own. Here are 10 little known facts about menstruation – and the science behind them.

1. Menstruating makes you hornier

The hormone progesterone is said to lower a woman’s libido. Yet while menstruating women produce less progesterone, which makes them likelier to crave sex during this phase.

2. And less attractive to men

A man’s testosterone levels are directly affected by a woman’s scent, which changes during a menstrual cycle.

One study where men sniffed the T-shirts of women who were ovulating showed the men’s testosterone levels spike, while testosterone decreased when they sniffed T-shirts of women who weren’t ovulating.

Another study showed that strippers make twice as much in tips when they’re ovulating than when they’re on their period.

3. In the olden days, girls didn’t used to get their period until around 16 or 17

Right now, the age of 12 is an average launching pad for a girl and her period pads. She will continue menstruating until around age 50.

In the 1800s, the average girl did not get her first period until well into her teens. It is thought that girls reach puberty earlier these days due to a combination of better nutrition and increased stress.

4. Your periods isn’t just blood

You can tell just by looking – if you cut your finger, the blood appears different from what shows up in your underwear. That’s because what comes out during a period is actually the lining of the uterus, a mixture of blood and tissue.

Your body builds up the lining of your uterus each cycle in preparation for potential pregnancy. But if an egg isn’t fertilized by a sperm, the thickened lining of the uterus is shed through the vagina. This is your period.

5. Your period can change your voice

One study published in the journal Ethology claimed that men who listened to recordings of women’s voices were generally able to tell which women were menstruating.

One would assume that their tone while menstruating was slightly more menacing than normal.

6. You can get pregnant on your period

It’s unlikely, but still possible, since sperm can stay alive inside the vagina for up to a week. The risk of pregnancy is highest when having sex during the end of one’s menstrual cycle.

7. Your body mimics the symptoms of pregnancy in the days leading to your period

In the days leading up menstruate, your body secretes hormones that cause irritability, feeling bloated, acne, and fluid retention—which are precisely the same symptoms one experiences during pregnancy.

8. You think more like a man when you’re menstruating

Lowered estrogen levels during menstruation may actually enhance a woman’s “male cognitive skills,” lending a temporary cognitive advantage in areas such as spatial thinking.

9. You may bleed form other places than your vagina

In a very rare and a little scary medical condition known as “vicarious menstruation,” women on their period may also harmlessly bleed from their mouth, ears, lungs, nose, eyes, and skin. It is not known exactly why this happens, only that it does.

10. You need body fat in order to menstruate

If your body fat plummets below 8-12%, your period will abruptly cease, if it ever began at all. Fat cells are correlated with a woman’s estrogen levels and are thus necessary in both menstruation and procreation.

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2015/07/27/10-little-known-facts-about-menstruating-that-might-surprise-some-girls/

i agree with everything, but d issue of bleeding from eyes, nose ear etc during menturation is strange pls...dat mayb EBOLA!!! Ladies pls erase dis as menturation symptom
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Missmossy(f): 8:14pm On Jul 27, 2015
Some of the aforementioned makes no sense sad

What won't we hear?
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by RobinHez(m): 8:24pm On Jul 27, 2015
Slimzjoe:

When I didn't Know what Menstruation or Pad Was, I Mentioned 'Everyday sanitary Pad' one day Like that. Mumsy Picked me up and Gave me Spanking of Life. Whenever I remember that Day, I feel Like Revenging grin
Hahahahaha grin
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by sucess001(m): 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2015
BreezyRita:

shocked shocked shocked
Ah don catch you today!

Lol. Wassap
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by kritikali(m): 8:44pm On Jul 27, 2015
Bukkiminat:
Ok, we av heard

No we haven't, I think there still more
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by luvinskygal(f): 8:52pm On Jul 27, 2015
good one
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nomzylicious(f): 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
lonelydora:
If Number 8 is true. I wish all ladies menstruation throughout the year 24/7.
r u dis harsh?
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Bonapart(m): 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2015
redgem:
immediately after menstruation you will be so Hot even more than ovulation period..

Haven't seen anyone one, read or heard of no 9...this my first time reading such
hot right?
I no blame you
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 27, 2015
HungerBAD:
That number 9 is Scary.

That number 8? She thinks like a man?no wonder women are generally smarter after their periods, them no even dey borrow their bobo money again then.

Not fair.
Provided it's harmless and above all very rare, no problem except in Nigeria it could mean great business for juju priests, witch doctors and certain prophets and churches.
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by tosyne2much(m): 9:12pm On Jul 27, 2015
redgem:
immediately after menstruation you will be so Hot even more than ovulation period..

Haven't seen anyone one, read or heard of no 9...this my first time reading such
Seriously ? Are you kidding me ?

No wonder Blessing was troubling my life last week after her menstruation cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by tosyne2much(m): 9:14pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ishilove:
Now this is gross embarassed
How are you Ishilove ? cool
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by peeta89(m): 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2015
God created ladies specially for that monthly stuff. I respect ladies for that. Wish I had a sister......................
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by deebsman1(m): 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2015
grin grin
otunbadan:

Lol, evidence of guiltie conscience
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by enitey(f): 9:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
I have seen that of the palm
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by zeb04(f): 9:24pm On Jul 27, 2015
your nipp.le is always on fire during that period.
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by tosyne2much(m): 9:33pm On Jul 27, 2015
refreshrate:
Tosyn2much come see o another 10 things don land.
Where you?
Hahaha cheesy

I dey here oooo baba.. I just sit down for this thread since dey observe every comment cool
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by redgem(f): 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2015
tosyne2much:
Seriously ? Are you kidding me ?

No wonder Blessing was troubling my life last week after her menstruation cool

Hahahahaha...and what did you do?
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 27, 2015
zeb04:
your nipp.le is always on fire during that period.

Ehen!!! What kind of fire exactly? tongue

I just dey learn from this thread sha. grin
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by nwadiuko1(m): 9:53pm On Jul 27, 2015
AwesomeRomeo:
It makes them look less attractive to men? shocked To me, menstruation is nothing, I buy the "always" and even help in washing the pants wink
eku menstruation bros. grin
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by lonelydora: 10:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
Nomzylicious:
r u dis harsh?

I am not harsh. I'm just wishing them only number 8.
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by tosyne2much(m): 10:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
redgem:

Hahahahaha...and what did you do?
I wasn't smart to have decoded what she actually wanted

Chaiiii !!!! See as great opportunity pass me by sha cool
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by damocheezy(m): 11:00pm On Jul 27, 2015
Sperm stays alive for a week? That must be supernatural sperm. That's not true pls. The life span of a sperm cell ranges between 18-48hrs.
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Mcowubaba: 11:08pm On Jul 27, 2015
zaragal:

Neva said that undecided..., and who says virgins don't get Hot??....virgins are not made with lock of wood angry
Madame, I never said anything abt Virgins ...
M NOT interested in any Virgin facts or debatesad
I just jokingly completed ur Statement undecided
Take a chill pill!!!
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:10pm On Jul 27, 2015
redgem:

Sometimes but after is always

What part of the country are you from?
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by redgem(f): 5:11am On Jul 28, 2015
tosyne2much:
I wasn't smart to have decoded what she actually wanted

Chaiiii !!!! See as great opportunity pass me by sha cool

Hehehehe...sowi
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by redgem(f): 5:24am On Jul 28, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

What part of the country are you from?

Southeast
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by sleeksamurai(f): 5:33am On Jul 28, 2015
lonelydora:
If Number 8 is true. I wish all ladies menstruation throughout the year 24/7.

I wish all men had a stiff hard on and muscle pull 24/7, 366 days. 367 days if possible.

Which kind yeye swear be that 1?

Do you have any idea how messy n painful it is?

Or how sick n uncomfortable most of us get?

#shoroniyen

1 Like

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by lonelydora: 6:27am On Jul 28, 2015
sleeksamurai:

I wish all men had a stiff hard on and muscle pull 24/7, 366 days. 367 days if possible.

Which kind yeye swear be that 1?

Do you have any idea how messy n painful it is?

Or how sick n uncomfortable most of us get?

#shoroniyen

I know it's painful but just for some ladies to think like men that's why I said it.
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Superman11(m): 6:49am On Jul 28, 2015
redgem:

Southeast
haha eastern part. Hope your not claiming oil south haha

1 Like

Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 28, 2015
Mcowubaba:

Madame, I never said anything abt Virgins ...
M NOT interested in any Virgin facts or debatesad
I just jokingly completed ur Statement undecided
Take a chill pill!!!

No be fight nah bros grin
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by Engnrcollins(m): 7:50am On Jul 28, 2015
zaragal:
Number one tho.....doesnt work for me..maybe becos... lipsrsealed
You are a virgin
Re: 10 Little Known Facts About Menstruating That Might Surprise Some Girls by richG: 8:00am On Jul 28, 2015
#9 nawaooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lockdown: Abuja Residents Say They Are Not Resuming Work, COVID-19 Is Real / British Citizen Dies Of Coronavirus In Lagos / Sad! Photos Of Jummie,Girl Falsely Reported To Be Vomiting Blood Because Of Runs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.