Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / . (2950 Views)

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch / The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by iceblade7755: 7:52pm On Jul 28, 2015
Re: . by shalomm: 7:52pm On Jul 28, 2015
grin

1 Like

Re: . by iceblade7755: 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
Re: . by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 28, 2015
iceblade7755:
My Friend's last name is Okafor, his father said that he does not remember what clan he is from, but his mother is from the Nsu clan. Anyway his last name is Okafor, and accordion to the Nigerian website Okafor was given to somebody who was born on afor day. And I heard that the Nri clan is the one who establish the 4 market days. So, assuming that only the Nri clan celebrates the 4 market days (since they establish it) does that mean that his father is from the Nri clan? Or do all igbo's celebrate the four marker days?

we have 8 market days in Igbo Land. We do not celebrate market days but rather, we use the market days to share events and watch seasons.

The introduction of clan in Igbo Land is just to further dis integrate the Igbo race.

All are stories. I can tell you the story of my clan. It is very hilarious.
Re: . by iceblade7755: 8:07pm On Jul 28, 2015
victorels:

we have 8 market days in Igbo Land. We do not celebrate market days but rather, we use the market days to share events and watch seasons.

The introduction of clan in Igbo Land is just to further dis integrate the Igbo race.

I know about the 8 market days but I'm more familiar with the 4 market days. But what clan is Okafor?
Re: . by bigfrancis21: 8:09pm On Jul 28, 2015
iceblade7755:
My Friend's last name is Okafor, his father said that he does not remember what clan he is from, but his mother is from the Nsu clan. Anyway his last name is Okafor, and accordion to the Nigerian website Okafor was given to somebody who was born on afor day. And I heard that the Nri clan is the one who establish the 4 market days. So, assuming that only the Nri clan celebrates the 4 market days (since they establish it) does that mean that his father is from the Nri clan? Or do all igbo's celebrate the four marker days?

His father is not necessarily from Nri. Okafor is a surname borne by most places in Igboland. His mother should be able to know where the man is from? Weren't the usual traditional rites conducted when they got together? She should be able to know her in-laws well to know where they are from - where she is married into.
Re: . by bigfrancis21: 8:11pm On Jul 28, 2015
iceblade7755:

I know about the 8 market days but I'm more familiar with the 4 market days. But what clan is Okafor?

No clan specifically owns nor bears Okafor. It is simply a general Igbo name for a male child born on 'Afor' day. Oko+afo, just as we have Oko+eke (Okeke when pronounced fast), Oko+Nkwo and Oko+Oye (Okoye) or Oko+Orie (Okorie), the Igbo 4 market days being Eke, Orie, Afor and Nkwo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by iceblade7755: 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2015
bigfrancis21:

His father is not necessarily from Nri. Okafor is a surname borne by most places in Igboland. His mother should be able to know where the man is from? Weren't the usual traditional rites conducted when they got together? She should be able to know her in-laws well to know where they are from - where she is married into.

They did not marry in Nigeri, they married in America
Re: . by iceblade7755: 8:20pm On Jul 28, 2015
bigfrancis21:

No clan specifically owns nor bears Okafor. It is simply a general Igbo name for a male child born on 'Afor' day. Oko+afo, just as we have Oko+eke (Okeke when pronounced fast), Oko+Nkwo and Oko+Oye (Okoye) or Oko+Orie (Okorie), the Igbo 4 market days being Eke, Orie, Afor and Nkwo.

Ok thanks
Re: . by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 28, 2015
iceblade7755:

Most people that bear Okafor are enugu. But you should ignore the clan thing. Any tribe/clan can bear okafor. You don't/ can't Identify peoples origin from their name in Igbo Land except some state that have some funny title and answer it as name.

States like Ebonyi
Re: . by iceblade7755: 8:30pm On Jul 28, 2015
victorels:

Most people that bear Okafor are enugu. But you should ignore the clan thing. Any tribe/clan can bear okafor. You don't/ can't Identify peoples origin from their name in Igbo Land except some state that have some funny title and answer it as name.

States like Ebonyi

Ok
Re: . by musicwriter(m): 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
iceblade7755:

Don't get it twisted!.

It's not a celebration. Eke, Orie, Afor, Nkwor. These are names of days of the week, just as you have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday in English. In Igboland, 4 days = 1 week (at least before British people messed up our intellect and culture).
Okoafor (Oko born on Afo day; is just a name of a male)

1 Like

Re: . by iceblade7755: 11:28pm On Jul 28, 2015
musicwriter:

Don't get it twisted!.

It's not a celebration. Eke, Orie, Afor, Nkwor. These are names of days of the week, just as you have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday in English. In Igboland, 4 days = 1 week (at least before British people messed up our intellect and culture).
Okoafor (Oko born on Afo day; is just a name of a male)
Ok
Re: . by tpiadotcom: 12:11am On Jul 29, 2015
iceblade7755:
his father said that he does not remember what clan he is from

end of discussion?
Re: . by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:36am On Jul 29, 2015
victorels:

This is very ffucked up,you need to be stoned to death!
Re: . by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:39am On Jul 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Most Okafors are found in Anambra,some in ENUGU and Enuani and very few in Imo. So,the possibility of his father being of Nri is high.
Re: . by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:44am On Jul 29, 2015
[size=8pt][/size]

victorels:

States like Ebonyi

How did you come to the conclusion Enugu bear most of the Okafor... I thought Enugu is famous for bearing Ugwu,Imo Duru,Abia Kalu,Ebonyi Onwe and Anambra Okeke,Okafor and Okonkwo. As for Enuani,nwajei,nwadei,Ochei and co.
Re: . by bigfrancis21: 1:42am On Jul 29, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Most Okafors are found in Anambra,some in ENUGU and Enuani and very few in Imo. So,the possibility of his father being from Nri is high.

Okafors are found in Imo and Abia as well. There might be a higher chance of them in Anambra but the ubiquity of the name all over Igboland leaves a wide area of possibility to be considered.

@op...what certain type of dialect does your dad know or speak? Or if he can't, can he mimic the Igbo dialect he heard his dad or parents speaking while he was growing up?

With dialect, we can strike out many similarities and narrow down our search to a specific area in Igbo land.
Re: . by bigfrancis21: 1:46am On Jul 29, 2015
OdenigboAroli:
[size=8pt][/size]

How did you come to the conclusion Enugu bear most of the Okafor... I thought Enugu is famous for bearing Ugwu,Imo Duru,Abia Kalu,Ebonyi Onwe and Anambra Okeke,Okafor and Okonkwo. As for Enuani,nwajei,nwadei,Ochei and co.

In that sense you are right. There are certain names unique to certain areas in Igboland. Within Enugu state, any person with an 'ugwu' derived surname is most likely to be from the Nsukka area. However, this doesn't mean they don't answer names common to other Igbo areas such as Ifeanyi, Chidi, Ifeoma etc.

To me, Okafor is just a generic Igbo name for a male child born on Afor day. The lack of alternative forms of the name, which could be said to be unique to an area or a dialectical variant, further proves that everyone seems to be using it. Maybe in the past, it may have been common amongst the Nri or originated amongst them but today, other areas in Igboland have families with the Okafor surname. No one area in Igbo land can lay exclusive rights to the name.
Re: . by tpiadotcom: 2:07am On Jul 29, 2015
If the father said he didn't remember his clan, doesn't that mean he doesn't want enquiries into his clan.

And since when did okafor become a subject of argument about the "area of igbo" which bears the name.

Op, you folks have come again.
Re: . by iceblade7755: 2:11am On Jul 29, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Most Okafors are found in Anambra,some in ENUGU and Enuani and very few in Imo. So,the possibility of his father being from Nri is high.

His father is from Anambra, Nnewi city, specifically, southern Nnewi city. What do you think of his chances to be from the Nri clan is now? Now that I given the place where he is from, and his last name.
Re: . by iceblade7755: 2:13am On Jul 29, 2015
tpiadotcom:
If the father said he didn't remember his clan, doesn't that mean he doesn't want enquiries into his clan.

And since did okafor become a subject of argument about the "area of igbo" which bears the name.

He moved to America and stayed their for along time, according to him, that's why he doesn't remember what clan he is from.
Re: . by iceblade7755: 2:15am On Jul 29, 2015
tpiadotcom:

And since did okafor become a subject of argument about the "area of igbo" which bears the name.

And why does it bother you that the name 'Okafor' became a subject of argument about the area of igbo which bears the name?
Re: . by bigfrancis21: 2:16am On Jul 29, 2015
iceblade7755:

His father is from Anambra, Nnewi city, specifically, southern Nnewi city. What do you think of his chances to be from the Nri clan is now? Now that I given the place where he is from, and his last name.

That's the answer you're looking for. Since his father is from Nnewi, the man is also from Nnewi automatically. The Igbo society, just like most cultures in the world, is patrilineal and heritage or inheritance follows the male ancestral line. In Igbo land, you are from wherever your father is from, who is from where his own father is from, and so on and so on up to the very first male ancestor, irrespective of where you're born.

It is only in US that people determine area of origin by place of birth. America doesn't belong to the whites and blacks anyway, it is a borrowed land. Thus, whites and blacks cannot lay ancestral rights or origin to areas in America just as we do in Nigeria. Only the native indians can.

In Nigeria, there is hardly any confusion about your ancestral origin. You are Igbo once your father is Igbo irrespective of whether your mom is Ijaw, Ibibio or Idoma. You are also from Nnewi village so far as your father is from there even though you were born in Enugu or Lagos or your father was born in Kano.

1 Like

Re: . by iceblade7755: 2:17am On Jul 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

That's the answer you're looking for. Since his father is from Nnewi, the man is also from Nnewi automatically. The Igbo society, just like most cultures in the world, is patrilineal and heritage or inheritance follows the male ancestral line. In Igbo land, you are from wherever your father is from, who is from where his own father is from, and so on and so on up to the very first male ancestor, irrespective of where you're from.

It is only in US that people determine area of origin by place of birth. America doesn't belong to the whites and blacks anyway, it is a borrowed land. Thus, whites and blacks cannot lay ancestral rights or origin to areas in America just as we do in Nigeria. Only the native indians can.

Nnewi is a city thought, not a clan.
Re: . by bigfrancis21: 2:23am On Jul 29, 2015
iceblade7755:

Nnewi is a city thought, not a clan.

It can be considered as a city today because of western development, however it could also be thought of as a clan in traditional settings.

Within Nnewi, there are families. In Nnewi South, there are 4 main villages - Umudim, Uruagu, Otolo and Nnewi-Ichi.

With the search zeroed down to Nnewi, the search for the actual village and the family should be easier. He (or you maybe) could do a simple search and visit these 4 villages mentioned in Nnewi South and ask around for the Okafor family. With all Okafor families pointed out to you, you just simply ask questions by mentioning 'your' father's full name and those who know him or his father will automatically indicate so. Thus, your journey for your ancestral origins is over.
Re: . by iceblade7755: 2:26am On Jul 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It can be considered as a city today because of western development, however it could also be thought of as a clan in traditional settings.

Within Nnewi, there are families. In Nnewi South, there are 4 main villages - Umudim, Uruagu, Otolo and Nnewi-Ichi.

With the search zeroed down to Nnewi, the search for the actual village and the family should be easier. He (or you maybe) could do a simple search and visit these 4 villages mentioned in Nnewi South and ask around for the Okafor family. With all Okafor families pointed out to you, you just simply ask questions by mentioning 'your' father's full name and those who know him or his father will automatically indicate so. Thus, your journey for your ancestral origins is over.

Ok, I'll tell him about it.
Re: . by bigfrancis21: 2:29am On Jul 29, 2015
iceblade7755:

As for ancestral ties to Nri, some communities today in Igboland are said to have been founded by Nri ancestors, maybe Nnewi too, but that was way long time ago. In today's terms, he cannot be said to be from Nri if his own father is not from Nri.
Re: . by iceblade7755: 2:45am On Jul 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

As for ancestral ties to Nri, some communities today in Igboland are said to have been founded by Nri ancestors, maybe Nnewi too, but that was way long time ago. In today's terms, he cannot be said to be from Nri if his own father is not from Nri.

Ok, thanks for the info.
Re: . by iceblade7755: 2:47am On Jul 29, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

This is very ffucked up,you need to be stoned to death!

lol,wtf?
Re: . by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:32am On Jul 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Just to correct a misconception, there is no town in Igbo land known as Nri. However,their are original Umunri settlements and descendants who spread across Igbo land and settled. There are Umunri in all parts on Anambra and beyond.
Re: . by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:35am On Jul 29, 2015
iceblade7755:

What 8 market days are we talking about ?
There is no name exclusive to one particular clan.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Was Your Placenta Buried? / What Is The Oriki[praise Poetry] Of Abeke? Please Help Out. / Yoruba Culture Video Documentary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.