Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard (949 Views)

Arewa Youths In An Ongoing Meeting With Igbos In The North (photos) / Chinedu Nebo: Nigeria Is Angry With Igbos' Growth, Development / Hausas Clash With Igbos In Akowa, Imo State - Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by B69U: 8:44pm On Jul 28, 2015
Gowon: Nigeria is better off with Igbos

on July 26, 2015 / in News, Trending 6:11 am / Comments

Nigeria’s wartime leader, Gen Yakubu Gowon, says “Nigeria is better off with Igbos.” He spoke while delivering an oration at the burial service for Chief (Mrs.) Chinyere Asika, wife of the former Sole Administrator of East Central State; just as the governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano, described the deceased as a woman who exemplified the virtue of patience, charity and humility. The service took place at the All Saints Anglican Cathedral, Onitsha, Anambra State.

(FILES)- A March 2, 2012 file photo shows an Ohafia cultural troupe entertaining bystanders during the burial of Nigeria's secessionist leader Odumegwu Ojukwu at his native Nnewi country home, in Anambra State eastern Nigeria. Odumegwu Ojukwu, who championed the campaign for an independent Republic of Biafra in eastern Nigeria in the 1960s culminating in a 30-month civil war which left more than a million dead was buried at his Nnewi family home in Anambra State. Its name is synonomous with the declaration of independence and updates on the brutal conflict that followed, but nearly 50 years after Nigeria's civil war, Radio Biafra is again making headlines. AFP PHOTO
(FILES)- A March 2, 2012 file photo shows an Ohafia cultural troupe entertaining bystanders during the burial of Nigeria’s secessionist leader Odumegwu Ojukwu at his native Nnewi country home, in Anambra State eastern Nigeria. Odumegwu Ojukwu, who championed the campaign for an independent Republic of Biafra in eastern Nigeria in the 1960s culminating in a 30-month civil war which left more than a million dead was buried at his Nnewi family home in Anambra State. Its name is synonomous with the declaration of independence and updates on the brutal conflict that followed, but nearly 50 years after Nigeria’s civil war, Radio Biafra is again making headlines. AFP PHOTO
Gowon’s declaration was borne out of a deep appreciation of the commitment and sacrifice of the deceased and her husband, Ajie Ukpabi Asika, to the survival of Nigeria as one entity. The former Head of State recalled that when he proposed the post of Sole Administrator of East Central State, Asika told me, “I prefer to do this for the good of Igbo people.”

He went on: “I was struggling to get an administrator for the newly created East Central State when the name of the late Ukpabi Asika came up. He was then a lecturer at Ibadan. When we met, I did not know which one of us was younger. But he exuded strength of character and understanding, and wanted to start work immediately. I cautioned him to think about it. I told him, `you must consult your brothers, and your wife to know if you would accept’. I came away convinced that this was the man I needed.

“I did not know how to place his wife, Chinyere, but when she arrived from Kenya, she plunged head-on into the idea. She was a courageous woman, caring and humble. I remember her efforts in “Otu Olu Obodo”- a public service initiative which she used as a tool of empowerment for her Igbo kinsmen and women.”

Obiano told the children and the Asika family to imbibe the virtues of patience, charity and humility from Mrs Asika, while urging the congregation and Ndi Anambra to remember “her good deeds and pray for the repose of her soul.”

The service was attended by many prominent personalities including a former Minister of Defence, Gen T.Y. Danjuma, who represented President Muhammadu Buhari.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/gowon-we-are-better-off-with-igbos/
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 28, 2015
undecided
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by B69U: 8:45pm On Jul 28, 2015
I don't even know wat to think or make of this comment by Gowon, so i will for once be reading opinions.
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by 9jii(m): 8:47pm On Jul 28, 2015
With or without?
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by B69U: 8:50pm On Jul 28, 2015
9jii:
With or without?

Which one is with or without, the man said with. It is not by force to comment, must u add your own?

1 Like

Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by Mogidi: 8:50pm On Jul 28, 2015
I agree with Gowon on this one.

1 Like

Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by wisdomguy4u(m): 8:54pm On Jul 28, 2015
Some mango head still claim ibos are the problem of Nigeria, but yet they refused to support their agitation to leave Nigeria.

Who is deceiving who ?

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by Bern1992(m): 8:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
still thinking....... cool
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by UrennaNkoli(f): 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2015
Very correct but we will still never forgive you.
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by tunjion: 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2015
Gowon again?
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by yang(m): 9:17pm On Jul 28, 2015
If there was any justice in the world

Gowon should be in the Hague undergoing trial for war crimes committed against biafrans

This man carried out a genocide that killed 6 million Biafrans
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by unstableaswater: 9:52pm On Jul 28, 2015
So this means Nigeria xcannot sdurvive without igbos. U hate igbos but u cannot imagine live without igbos. madness!

1 Like

Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by bodeloja: 10:44pm On Jul 28, 2015
Gowon is right.
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by collinsVP: 11:13pm On Jul 28, 2015
The day Nigeria adopts true federalism, we be the day secession agitation from south east will be heard last.

Justice preceeds peace
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by B69U: 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2015
I still feel like we should no be one country. Nigeria should never have been created by the British.
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by Stolen: 5:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
We want out of the Zoo
Re: Gowon: Nigeria Is Better Off With Igbos - Vanguard by empiresomn: 6:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
9jii:
With or without?
igbo too prefer without. We are tired of the zoo

(1) (Reply)

Though Times Ahead As EU Ban Nigerian Food Exports / Muazu Hands Over To Ilo As GOC Of Army’s 2 Division In Ibadan / Check Out This Wonderful Picture Shared By Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.