Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? (4131 Views)

Should Married Couples Have Their Separate Rooms? / Should Married People Have Access To Each-Other’s Phones? / Should Married Individuals Keep In Touch With Exes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by kattie(f): 4:43pm On Mar 16, 2009
Hi everyone, I was just wandering if it’s advisable for married women to maintain or keep spinsters as friends. A friend of mine got married and she suddenly started acting kind of funny towards us her friends, I managed to ask a more matured married woman the problem and she told me that most married women are usually advised that if they want to maintain their home, they must keep married friends who would be of positive interest to their marriage and not unmarried friends.

Nairalanders is this true?
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by DeReloaded: 4:46pm On Mar 16, 2009
I guess they are paranoid that the single friend(s) will want to take their husband or something just as daft.

If the friendship is genuine, then there's no need for such nonsense.

Give your friend space. If she's acting funny, stay away.

1 Like

Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Dvampire(m): 4:47pm On Mar 16, 2009
depends. the most important thing is the friend in question should have a positive outlook towards her friends marriage. some married friends a worse than a pack of rabid wolves.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by yme1(f): 4:56pm On Mar 16, 2009
i dont think there is anything wrong with that in as much as you know the limit of your friendship
you should know where to call it quit when it is going beyound friendship level
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by CrazyMan(m): 5:01pm On Mar 16, 2009
Well I can’t say married women shouldn’t keep unmarried friends; it won’t be fair to detach yourself from your friends simply because you’re married.

If you feel you can benefit something reasonable from them, then it’s ok to part was; but if other wise, then avoiding them isn’t a wise thing to do.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by oluwafemi113(m): 5:56pm On Mar 16, 2009
no angry
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 16, 2009
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Brandie(f): 6:06pm On Mar 16, 2009
Dere isnt anytin wrong in married women being frends wit spinters. ll sum1 turn away 4rm her unmarried frends just bcuz shez married aftal she waz single b4 she got married too.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Czarskit(m): 1:27am On Mar 17, 2009
@ Topic

No!
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Treetop20(m): 1:56am On Mar 17, 2009
example
a girl tells her single friend who doesn't know the
first thing about "committed relationship or marriage"
he told me to shut up!
friend goes" oh hell no! he should never talk to you like that"
" i will walk out if I were you"
grin
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by C2H5OH(f): 4:57am On Mar 17, 2009
ROFL Why not?
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by oluwdashmi(f): 12:54pm On Mar 17, 2009
Married or no married, just no who your friend is.

I will keep an unmarried friend except I don't trust her and don't want her to break my precious home.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by DeReloaded: 4:42pm On Mar 17, 2009
Treetop20:

example
a girl tells her single friend who doesn't know the
first thing about "committed relationship or marriage"
he told me to shut up!
friend goes" oh hell no! he should never talk to you like that"
" i will walk out if I were you"
grin

as opposed to a married woman that would tell her married friend to get a boytoy on the side?
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by sistawoman: 4:46pm On Mar 17, 2009
Why should I stop being friends with my friends because I am married?

Of course I can have unmarried friends. A friend is a friend regardless of thier status. A friend would never encourage another friend to do something that would cause them harm.

So a true friend of mine would never encourage me to leave my husband, unless he was hurting me, a true friend would never encourage me to cheat on my husband. A true friend would not want me hurting and would never be the cause or encouragement behind my hurt.

In addtion, I am a human with a brain and can decide for myself if something is good or bad and because my friend does it, it does not mean I have to do it too.

1 Like

Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by oluwafemi113(m): 6:32am On Mar 18, 2009
Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends?
for what
abeg nexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxt
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by sistawoman: 1:20pm On Mar 18, 2009
oluwafemi113:

Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends?
for what
abeg nexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxt

Because they were my friends before I was married.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Pataki: 1:41pm On Mar 18, 2009
It is relative and depends on what kind of friendship is being sustained.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by alimat2(f): 4:52pm On Mar 19, 2009
Brandie:

Dere isnt anytin wrong in married women being frends wit spinters. ll sum1 turn away 4rm her unmarried frends just bcuz shez married aftal she waz single b4 she got married too.

I supprt u,afterall the married woman was once single b4 married, is she expected to 4get her single old friends.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Isuata: 5:48pm On Mar 19, 2009
it boils down to the married woman herself

the question is wat kind of brain has she got in her hed?

is it one dat will diffuse and mix frendship wit marriage or not?

i think the rules about frendship still remain- ---- find the frends dat will move you forward in a positive manner

all boils down to sistawoman's last words-

do you the married woman have a gud hed on yur shoulders?
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by minniepoe(f): 1:37pm On Mar 31, 2009
i agree with @y me.

There is nothing wrong with married women keeping unmarried friends but the limit of any friendship should be defined and known. either with married women or the unmarried women.

some friends are devils either the married or the unmarried ones and will not stop at destroying their friends homes.
my take is know the character of your friend, when it comes to seeking advise, know who to turn to and keep your private life with your hubby to yourself.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 31, 2009
@Topic.
Yes! Buut it shld be reasonable and matured friends that shld be kept but shld also be limited.
cool Chiurs.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by iice(f): 8:50pm On Mar 31, 2009
@Topic yes.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Sissy3(f): 9:57pm On Mar 31, 2009
of course yes. being married doesn't mean i have to discard my single friends and join the christian mother club
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Mar 31, 2009
@ post
It depends on what kind of unmarried friends they are.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by uzwu: 12:45am On Apr 01, 2009
You are right
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 01, 2009
Yes.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 01, 2009
i dont think a married woman should stop talking to or hanging out with the friends she knew before she got married whether single or not.
however, i think new single friends should be kept at arms lenght. i dont want them round the house for whatever reason
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by rubi(f): 4:54pm On Jun 22, 2011
Some unmarried friends are good but don't discuss marital issue with them b/c they have no experience and advice to give. Keep them strictly on friendship level for old time sake
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jun 22, 2011
kattie:

Hi everyone, I was just wandering if it’s advisable for married women to maintain or keep spinsters as friends. A friend of mine got married and she suddenly started acting kind of funny towards us her friends, I managed to ask a more matured married woman the problem and she told me that most married women are usually advised that if they want to maintain their home, they must keep married friends who would be of positive interest to their marriage and not unmarried friends.

Nairalanders is this true?

false.
Re: Should Married Women Keep Unmarried Friends? by pingpong1: 7:04pm On Jun 22, 2011
If they will continue with their old time gossip, then capital NO

(1) (Reply)

Look At The Evil A Step Mother Did To Her Step Son / The Six Stages Of Deception. / Search For My Biological Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.