Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,428 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam (2462 Views)

Pics: OBJ Deserves 2 Years Jail Term For This Insults On Fayose! / Remembering Kudirat Abiola, 19 Years After Her Assassination (pictures) / 15 Soldiers Get 4-years Jail Sentence For Refusing To Fight Boko Haram (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by OBVIOUS(m): 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2009
LAGOS (Reuters) – A Nigerian undergraduate has been sentenced to 19 years in prison for obtaining $47,000 (33,382 pounds) from an Australian woman by convincing her over the Internet that he was 57 years old, white, and madly in love with her.

Lawal Adekunle Nurudeen met his victim on the Internet in 2007 and convinced her that he was a British widower called Benson Lawson. He said he was an engineer working in Lagos whose wife and only child had been killed in a car accident.

"The victim, a 56-year-old woman from Australia, told the convict that she wanted a husband and all the men she had met always disappointed her," said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Nigeria's anti-corruption police.

"The convict, who is married with three children, instantly replied and told the victim she had met her Mr Right , He sent the picture of a white man to foreclose any suspicions."

The woman sent Nurudeen money for medical treatment and travel costs to visit Australia. He spent the funds on two plots of land and a Honda Prelude car.

Nigerian confidence tricksters have a long history of extorting money via the Internet through "419" scams, named after the clause that outlaws them in Nigeria's penal code. Many are never caught.

The EFCC said Nurudeen was ordered to pay around $10,000 immediately and a further $250 a month to his victim until the full amount stolen was returned. She would also receive the proceeds of the sale of his land and car.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by OBVIOUS(m): 10:15pm On Mar 16, 2009
I think babangida, Obsanjo, and co should be in Jail for 100 years. This in my opinion is injustice. The poor boy was only following after his leaders.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by asha80(m): 10:17pm On Mar 16, 2009
oh oh
yahoo oh oh
yahoo oh oh
yahoo oh oh
Yahoozeeeeeeeeeeeeee  grin(inspirational jam)
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by MrCrackles(m): 10:18pm On Mar 16, 2009
Serves the bastard right

I hope he rots in jail
!! grin
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by OBVIOUS(m): 10:20pm On Mar 16, 2009
L O L. This is poor man justice. What do you think about politicians who steal more,

Like leaders, like followers, I think that the EFCC is being selective as always.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by asha80(m): 10:23pm On Mar 16, 2009
I wonder why so many of us believe in efcc?
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by bawomolo(m): 10:25pm On Mar 16, 2009
Isn't this sentence a little bit harsh?
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Lamidiobi1: 10:30pm On Mar 16, 2009
Its not harsh. i think its what we need to make yorubas stop tarnishing our image abroad. Enough is enogh for these yoruba and ibo criminals.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Bbeee: 10:36pm On Mar 16, 2009
Lamidi-obi:

Its not harsh. i think its what we need to make yorubas stop tarnishing our image abroad. Enough is enogh for these yoruba and ibo criminals.

hmmm, yoruba man offend you ni?
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Lamidiobi1: 10:37pm On Mar 16, 2009
yes, they offend me by doing 419 and tarnishing nigeria image. Tell them to make an honest living and stop too much partying.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by doyin13(m): 11:01pm On Mar 16, 2009
Lamidi-obi:

lol. . . .

and to think but for Northern Nigeria, the world would be rid of Polio
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Afam4eva(m): 12:34am On Mar 17, 2009
The guy should rot in jail.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by OBVIOUS(m): 2:34am On Mar 17, 2009
Lamidi-obi:

What if its a Hausa man using a Yoruba name, how do you know? , no one of course is certain of this. The title says "Nigerian." White man no know Yoruba or ibo, once you say "Nigerian" that phrase normally rings a bell. For some, it might be a positive bell and for others, it might just be a negative ring.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by dean2725: 3:29am On Mar 17, 2009
Got served!!!
but wait a minute. . . ,  Do you believe some people are DESTINED to succeed through fraud/scam or anything synonymous to "illegal" even if eventually caught and jailed?. I'm serious!!
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Nobody: 4:32am On Mar 17, 2009
I detest fraud of any kind, but 19 years seem to be much more than the young man bargained.
It just doesnt make much sense when we still have the likes of IBB, OBJ, Kalu, Ibori and co flying their jets here and there.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by fuke(m): 4:59am On Mar 17, 2009
For Nurideen or what do you call him, 19 years behind the bars is not enough. For an undergraduate , probably under 25 years to swindle a 56 years widow in need of love is the height of callousness. If i had my way , i would cut the bastard to pieces and serve the bits to fishes. May his types burn off from the surface of the earth (amen0
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Nobody: 5:26am On Mar 17, 2009
Of course, no sane person would condone such act but 19 years is just too much, way too much.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Lamidiobi1: 5:38am On Mar 17, 2009
The guy
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Lamidiobi1: 5:41am On Mar 17, 2009
What if its a Hausa man using a Yoruba name, how do you know? , no one of course is certain of this. The title says "Nigerian." White man no know Yoruba or ibo, once you say "Nigerian" that phrase normally rings a bell. For some, it might be a positive bell and for others, it might just be a negative ring.

He cannot be hausa because 419 is not in our blood. We don't steal or take what does not belong to us. If the criminal minded yorubas dont have a change of mind with their ibo brothers, we will increase their jail sentence to 30 years for any 419 activities. Very soon all of you here will have at least a cousin or brother in Nigeria jail.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Nobody: 6:04am On Mar 17, 2009
19 years too harsh now!. This isn't justice, this is punishment. I don't support scam but 19 years is just not right. Not as if jails are correctional instead they destroy the person more. I hope he likes listening to pastors coming to preach in jail. cause he might be listening for 19 yrs. Seriously they should reduce it to about 4. For crying out loud the man has 3 kids. 80% chances they are adding three more problems to the Nigerian problems.

On the side, Nigeria should try and provide some books for those in jail to read. Socrates, Aristotle comes to mind. Give them books on these men and they might come out thinking like geniuses.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by kosovo(m): 6:22am On Mar 17, 2009
19 year for $47000 for imprisonment is that worth it.?
how about ibori, lucky, baba, Ibb. etc.
EFCC should go after big fish insted of young boys looking for how to earn a living due to the high level of unemployment.
stupid country.
    Nigeria is just No. 5 in THE WORLD (according to FOX news) after
CHINA
RUSSIA
INDIA and
USA.
so why the rant.
f@cking country.;
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Kobojunkie: 6:26am On Mar 17, 2009
you sincerely believe nigeria is number 5 in the world? roflmao!!
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by kosovo(m): 6:52am On Mar 17, 2009
you sincerely believe nigeria is number 5 in the world? roflmao!!

I hope you are being sarcastic, else ahhh there really ain't any hope for humanity.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Jakumo(m): 7:15am On Mar 17, 2009
Ah yes, another illustrious ambassador for the Nigerian cause, hard at work consolidating the reputation of his glorious homeland.

Give me that razor-sharpened machete and I will gladly administer the coup-de-grace, with a chit-eating grin on my face.   Praise the Lord.

Lamidi-obi:

He cannot be hausa because 419 is not in our blood. We don't steal or take what does not belong to us.

For those of you who were wondering why there are NO jails in Northern Nigeria, look no further than the above quote.

Petty theft of loose change is NOT in the character of northern Nigerians, and you can take that to the bank.

Industrial scale embezzlement from government coffers, however, is a revered tradition for patriots in power from ALL OVER Nigera, as the Late, Great, Always Mighty Sanni Abacha and The Ever Popular Evil Genius Ibrahim Babangida can attest.

Prasie the Lord !
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Kobojunkie: 7:27am On Mar 17, 2009
kosovo:

I hope you are being sarcastic, else ahhh there really ain't any hope for humanity.
No I am not.  I find it hard to swallow that anyone would believe that Nigeria is merely at number 5 in the world.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by kosovo(m): 7:37am On Mar 17, 2009
No I am not. I find it hard to swallow that anyone would believe that Nigeria is merely at number 5 in the world.
that's just it man.
you got to beleive me.
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Kobojunkie: 7:42am On Mar 17, 2009
kosovo:

that's just it man.
you got to beleive me.
I can't though cause past the numbers we make up in that country, you and I know that unemployment rate in Nigeria is closer to 50% than it is less. We are talking of a country here where there are next to no records of how many people are actually unemployed and no one seems to care much to gather that info. So how can anyone who has actually seen and lived life in that country believe it is only number 5 in the world?
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by kosovo(m): 7:50am On Mar 17, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I can't though cause past the numbers we make up in that country, you and I know that unemployment rate in Nigeria is closer to 50% than it is less. We are talking of a country here where there are next to no records of how many people are actually unemployed and no one seems to care much to gather that information. So how can anyone who has actually seen and lived life in that country believe it is only number 5 in the world?
it's hard to beleive tough.
all the same, Nigeria is DOOMED!
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 17, 2009
Lamidi-obi:

The guy

http://www.notjustok.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/jim-iyke.jpg

why is the image named jim-iyke.jpg?

Mr Man, you are a fine one for pointing fingers . . .your peeps tarnish nigeria image in even more ridiculous ways - what sort of retard leads cows across an international runway? grin
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by FBS: 10:22am On Mar 17, 2009
source pls?
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by hajifaty: 10:37am On Mar 17, 2009
19years is damm too much
Re: Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam by AloyEmeka9: 10:38am On Mar 17, 2009
He will not even serve 5 years of the whole anyway so why bother.

He spent the funds on two plots of land and a Honda Prelude car.
At least he invested the money only that the prelude part is funny. who still buys honda prelude now? grin grin

I think the govt should confiscate the properties.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. / NNPC Fraud: CBN Governor Sanusi To Proceed On Post-retirement Leave In March / Who Is The Worst Lier? Olisa Metuh, Labaran Maku Or Chris Olukolade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.