Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,735 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

My Laptop Is Very Slow - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Laptop Is Very Slow (4260 Views)

My Hp 250 Laptop Is Very Slow Help!!! / My Lenovo Laptop Is Very Slow( Pics) HEEELLP!!! / Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Laptop Is Very Slow by intrepid: 2:37pm On Aug 01, 2015
What should I do? I had it reformatted last time and it still persisted.
Sometime later,I changes it from 1GB ram it was running on before,to 2GB.It was fast but after a while,its gone slow again and takes ages to load a program.

I took it to somebody today and he said I should get rid of the Avast Antivirus I have in it ,that's its heavy and can make my system to slow down.

However I'm thinking that perhaps I may need to increase the ram again.I have videos on it and plenty of documents.can they slow down a system?

Help needed please.
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by Donald3d(m): 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2015
intrepid:
What should I do? I had it reformatted last time and it still persisted.
Sometime later,I changes it from 1GB ram it was running on before,to 2GB.It was fast but after a while,its gone slow again and takes ages to load a program.

I took it to somebody today and he said I should get rid of the Avast Antivirus I have in it ,that's its heavy and can make my system to slow down.

However I'm thinking that perhaps I may need to increase the ram again.I have videos on it and plenty of documents.can they slow down a system?

Help needed please.
first of all avast cannot slow your system down except you have another antivirus running with it,your documents cannot slow your system down except they are infected ,which avast would have stopped except you are using an old version of avast,the most likely problem in this case is your hard disk is getting weak ,or there is an installed application that runns on your system that slows it down,some of such apps lunch at startup or when you boot and they continue running in the background ,since you said your system ran well after upgrading the ram and the problem started again after a while,I believe there is an app you installed that runs in the background and that app takes a huge chunk of your ram,use task manager to monitor your ram and cpu usage and see how much of it each app uses ,that way you can find the troublesome app
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by intrepid: 3:06pm On Aug 01, 2015
Thanks a lot Donald.I sincerely appreciate and I will try that soon as I get home now.
Cheers man
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 01, 2015
enhance your RAM to 4 and HD to 500.

if it persist then, prayer will be next to reccommend

1 Like

Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by ITbomb(m): 4:21pm On Aug 01, 2015
Open your task manager and upload the screenshot here
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2015
you have not told us the full specs of your PC...

i am very sure you wouldnt be running a pentium 4 CPU and expecting it to fly like a core i7- 4th generation . . .

pst d full specs of ur PC . .
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by intrepid: 8:05pm On Aug 01, 2015
makavele:
you have not told us the full specs of your PC...

i am very sure you wouldnt be running a pentium 4 CPU and expecting it to fly like a core i7- 4th generation . . .

pst d full specs of ur PC . .

Below is the specs:

Processor: Intel Celeron(R) CPU , 560@2.13GHz
Installed Memory(RAM) :2.00GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Windows 7 ultimate
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 8:19pm On Aug 01, 2015
intrepid:

Below is the specs:

Processor: Intel Celeron(R) CPU , 560@2.13GHz
Installed Memory(RAM) :2.00GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Windows 7 ultimate

there u go, intel celeron cpu .. . is an outdated processor . . . dat made waves during the 2010 era . .
it cant handle modern programs as fast as it used to, becos technology has evolved . . even if u upgrade d RAM to 16GB, the cpu does not have the capacity to handle heavy task ..

just save up and get a new pc .. with at least Core 2 Duo cpu ( if u are on a tight budget)
or at least core i5 ( if money is not a problem)
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by intrepid: 8:36pm On Aug 01, 2015
Really?@ Makavele.Well thanks for the information. I never knew it waa like that.
Actually the laptop was acquired 2008 ,so I think you are correct.
So what make is your recommendation ?

The troubled one I'm talking about is Dell.
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 8:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
intrepid:
Really?@ Makavele.Well thanks for the information. I never knew it waa like that.
Actually the laptop was acquired 2008 ,so I think you are correct.
So what make is your recommendation ?

The troubled one I'm talking about is Dell.

forget the fact that they are machines ,, the older they become they weaker they get . . .
the make is not the deciding factor here .. u can go for dell, hp, macbook, sony, samsung, whatever . .
you basically need to understand the real specs no matter what make u wanna go for . . .
like i said in my previous post, if u ar cashed strapped, make sure the cpu is nothing less than Core 2 Duo, and please use 4GB RAM
these days 2GB ram is nothing unless u won't be installing programs at all . . d moment u install
firefox chrome messenger office vlc skype etc , ur 2GB ram would be almost filled to capacity, hence hanging the system, blue screen of death etc . so 4GB ram if u budget is tight , , ram is cheap these days . a ram of 1600MHz would do for light computer usage . .
if u are into gaming, then Ram of 2100 MHz and above is way to go .. .
but if money is not a problem , , , go for higher end cpus . . the core i-series . . they can handle anything, open 50 programs at once and yet your computer won't hang or freeze. . .
a classic example is the macbook air . . . . core i-5 at 1.8GHz 8 GRAM and 128GB SSD , which i happen to rock . . .
any more questions . .
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by intrepid: 9:17pm On Aug 01, 2015
Hahahaha thanks man.Abeg how much is that one?
makavele:

forget the fact that they are machines ,, the older they become they weaker they get . . .
the make is not the deciding factor here .. u can go for dell, hp, macbook, sony, samsung, whatever . .
you basically need to understand the real specs no matter what make u wanna go for . . .
like i said in my previous post, if u ar cashed strapped, make sure the cpu is nothing less than Core 2 Duo, and please use 4GB RAM
these days 2GB ram is nothing unless u won't be installing programs at all . . d moment u install
firefox chrome messenger office vlc skype etc , ur 2GB ram would be almost filled to capacity, hence hanging the system, blue screen of death etc . so 4GB ram if u budget is tight , , ram is cheap these days . a ram of 1600MHz would do for light computer usage . .
if u are into gaming, then Ram of 2100 MHz and above is way to go .. .
but if money is not a problem , , , go for higher end cpus . . the core i-series . . they can handle anything, open 50 programs at once and yet your computer won't hang or freeze. . .
a classic example is the macbook air . . . . core i-5 at 1.8GHz 8 GRAM and 128GB SSD , which i happen to rock . . .
any more questions . .

Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 9:25pm On Aug 01, 2015
intrepid:

sorry i dont quite get you . . .

hw much is the core 2 duo cpu or the macbook air model i mentioned . . .

a core 2 duo used notebook should be under 70k for a genuine one . . .

the macbook air depends on the yr of production . . . i bought mine for 250k . . .
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by intrepid: 10:23pm On Aug 01, 2015
Thanks a lot.Respects.

Please how good is Lenovo ?
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 10:40pm On Aug 01, 2015
intrepid:
Thanks a lot.Respects.

Please how good is Lenovo ?

One word . . . . machine !!!

2 Likes

Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by Faraidi(m): 10:36pm On Aug 02, 2015
intrepid:
bros,good day pls what is the code one can use to check laptop spec?
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by Faraidi(m): 10:39pm On Aug 02, 2015
makavele:

pls I need code to check laptop spec !
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 10:53pm On Aug 02, 2015
Faraidi:
pls I need code to check laptop spec !

click on START and type "dxdiag" without the quotes.. click it . .

or go to Start >> Run >>> type "dxdiag" without the quotes . .

should give you the core specs of your pc . . ualready know ur HDD size from My COmputer

1 Like

Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by AwesomeRomeo: 7:54am On Aug 03, 2015
makavele:

Bro pls, how can I increase my RAM from 2GB to 4GB and my HDD to 500GB? Tanx.
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by Faraidi(m): 8:54am On Aug 03, 2015
makavele:

click on START and type "dxdiag" without the quotes.. click it . .

or go to Start >> Run >>> type "dxdiag" without the quotes . .

should give you the core specs of your pc . . ualready know ur HDD size from My COmputer
brother,someoe want to sell external laptop battery for me at #20,000.Is the price good?he said I can use it for four days.
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 9:41am On Aug 03, 2015
AwesomeRomeo:
Bro pls, how can I increase my RAM from 2GB to 4GB and my HDD to 500GB? Tanx.

1. To increase your HDD, simply go to the market and get a new one . . . You need to take off the back cover of your laptop,
if you know how to use a screwdriver, you will be fine. If you don't know, pls give it to a professional, else you might short-circuit your motherboard and poof, goodbye dear laptop.

2. To increase your RAM, if you system supports dual-channels . . it means you will have 2 or more slots for RAM . . you can buy 2GB + 2GB . . or just a single 4GB stick . . if you PC doesn't support dual-channel, it means u have just one slot for RAM . . then u must buy a single 4GB RAM . . .

Take note, if u are using 32 bit windows . . 4GB of ram would in actuality be around 2.6 GB - 3 GB after installation . .
to enjoy the full RAM, use 64bit windows . . . .

Once again, if u know how to open a computer and identify computer parts, do it yourself . . If not, give a professional, please !

Thanks
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 9:43am On Aug 03, 2015
Faraidi:
brother,someoe want to sell external laptop battery for me at #20,000.Is the price good?he said I can use it for four days.

#20,000 is just about $100.00 . . . pretty expensive but the current exchange rate and bad economy, who can i blame?
"he said" it can last for 4 days . . ? "he said" . . ??
is there anyway to test it before payment . . cos ppl can be deceptive . . . sometimes
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by AwesomeRomeo: 10:09am On Aug 03, 2015
makavele:

1. To increase your HDD, simply go to the market and get a new one . . . You need to take off the back cover of your laptop,
if you know how to use a screwdriver, you will be fine. If you don't know, pls give it to a professional, else you might short-circuit your motherboard and poof, goodbye dear laptop.

2. To increase your RAM, if you system supports dual-channels . . it means you will have 2 or more slots for RAM . . you can buy 2GB + 2GB . . or just a single 4GB stick . . if you PC doesn't support dual-channel, it means u have just one slot for RAM . . then u must buy a single 4GB RAM . . .

Take note, if u are using 32 bit windows . . 4GB of ram would in actuality be around 2.6 GB - 3 GB after installation . .
to enjoy the full RAM, use 64bit windows . . . .

Once again, if u know how to open a computer and identify computer parts, do it yourself . . If not, give a professional, please !

Thanks
My laptop is HP, windows 7 ultimate, 2GB RAM, 32bit, AMD. I don't know if it can support dual-channel. Tanx, am grateful for the response.
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 10:23am On Aug 03, 2015
AwesomeRomeo:
My laptop is HP, windows 7 ultimate, 2GB RAM, 32bit, AMD. I don't know if it can support dual-channel. Tanx, am grateful for the response.

2 ways to know if it does:

1. Google your laptop specs n confirm . . .

2. Open the laptop back cover and see ( some hp models do not need taking off the whole back cover . . there's a dedicated service port for swapping out the RAM on the back )

Cheers
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by AwesomeRomeo: 10:31am On Aug 03, 2015
makavele:

2 ways to know if it does:

1. Google your laptop specs n confirm . . .

2. Open the laptop back cover and see ( some hp models do not need taking off the whole back cover . . there's a dedicated service port for swapping out the RAM on the back )

Cheers
Kk, if it support dual-channel, will it be stated in the specs? If I open the back cover, how can I know that it can support dual-channel? Tanx
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 10:37am On Aug 03, 2015
AwesomeRomeo:
Kk, if it support dual-channel, will it be stated in the specs? If I open the back cover, how can I know that it can support dual-channel? Tanx

Politely, i am sure you know what RAM looks like . .

Open the back cover and you'll see at least 2 slots ; then you're good . . .

Yes, it stated on the full product description and user manual . . let me attach a pic for example. . .

Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by Faraidi(m): 10:38am On Aug 03, 2015
makavele:

#20,000 is just about $100.00 . . . pretty expensive but the current exchange rate and bad economy, who can i blame?
"he said" it can last for 4 days . . ? "he said" . . ??
is there anyway to test it before payment . . cos ppl can be deceptive . . . sometimes
it appear u don't domicile in Nigeria?
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 10:40am On Aug 03, 2015
Faraidi:
it appear u don't domicile in Nigeria?

repping Naija to the fullest . . must b the accent of my keyboard . . . grin grin
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by AwesomeRomeo: 10:43am On Aug 03, 2015
makavele:

Politely, i am sure you know what RAM looks like . .

Open the back cover and you'll see at least 2 slots ; then you're good . . .

Yes, it stated on the full product description and user manual . . let me attach a pic for example. . .
Kk, tanx a lot bro.
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by onatisi(m): 10:55am On Aug 03, 2015
Very educative thread
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by onatisi(m): 10:58am On Aug 03, 2015
makavele:

repping Naija to the fullest . . must b the accent of my keyboard . . . grin grin
please how does one short circuit the motherboard when opening the cover and how can one prevents it.thank you
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by makavele: 11:11am On Aug 03, 2015
onatisi:
please how does one short circuit the motherboard when opening the cover and how can one prevents it.thank you

Trust me you don't want to short-circuit your board . . this can happen when 2 or more point of contacts(solder points) on yur motherboard are connected either by a loose wire, water , hand etc....So be careful touching those solder-points on your board. . .
its just like you're carrying a live PHCN wire and joining it with another live PHCN wire, u already know what happens next . . .
To prevent that, work with rubber gloves,, as they don't conduct electricity . .
also remove the battery prior to dismantling your laptop .., for some minutes . to drain out the static charge . . .
Re: My Laptop Is Very Slow by Donald3d(m): 11:13am On Aug 03, 2015
onatisi:
i dnt knw hw easily to explain dis without using electrical terms.ok see this way,when u bridge two connections or components that are not supposed to be in contact,your body can also short circuit,yes !! u are a conductor,so it is advisable to place one hand on the body or chasis of the laptop (known as earthing or grounding) to prevent short circuit or static electricity when changing for example your RAM(one of the main reasons why sum peoples rams get damaged or unresponsive,but it can be corrected) *edited* and as makavele said remove ur batteries and also unplug the charger.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ccna, Ccnp, Oracle, Comptia, Microsoft Certification Exam Center In Nigeria / How To Access Dark Web And Find What Google Wont Show You / A New Web Proxy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.