Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

The Need For African Economics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Need For African Economics (382 Views)

Seni Saraki Graduates From London School Of Economics. Saraki & Wife Attend / Wole Soyinka In Westminster London For African Literary Fanfare (Photos) / Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Need For African Economics by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
The Need for African Economics

The current set of economic theories are not applicable to the African situation. Allow me to make references;

In economic theory when aggregate demand is low...the government should engage in deficit spending to increase aggregate demand to attain full employment level of income.
This theory exist on the assumption of a vibrant industrial base that would increase aggregate supply to meet increased aggregate demand.

In Africa such an increase in government spending would result to inflation...which of course is a persistent economic nightmare for most African States.

Therefore we need an African economics that is in tandem with the African economic condition.

What's your take.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Need For African Economics by kossyablaze(m): 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2015
Itz cool...I prefer The need for Africas Philosophy tho...b4 economics...We need to realise our identity once more

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Need For African Economics by mikolo80: 5:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
more tractors more industrial parks less grammar

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Need For African Economics by efficiencie(m): 12:19am On Aug 02, 2015
yes i concur with you Op! The problem is with the way we teach economics. We teach the principles of Economics like dogma and leave out the role of creativity.

I was told by a Nigerian PhD student that in thesis writing you are not permitted to design your own theory rather you amend, modify or enhance an existing theory.

Can you imagine that!?

That means there's no room for creative thinking, seminal ideas and path breaking research as far as Nigerian economic research is concerned...

That's tragic!!!

1 Like

Re: The Need For African Economics by r33d(m): 8:40am On Aug 02, 2015
Instead of just doling out huge cash in increased expenditure to contractors as well as, sharing monies to legislators, judges and security forces, why can't the government just use that money to provide an enabling environment for business. I think, with an efficient provision of infrastructure say, power or electricity, the cost of doing business will be low. In reality, most manufacturers still provide their own power, water, roads, funding, etc. which really eats into their profits.
Re: The Need For African Economics by efficiencie(m): 11:30am On Jan 11, 2018
I wonder how African economics will see the light of day if we keep regurgitating the western theories of economics hook line and sinker without formulating theories that explain the unique economic phenomena in our society!

(1) (Reply)

MFM Splashes N91m On 180 First Class Graduates / Igbos Should Play Opposition For 10 Years / No Partisanship In War Against Corruption – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.