Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. (78958 Views)

Benue Teacher Asked To Pay 1.5 Million Naira As Bride Price (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2015
Seventeen:
hahahaha and to think that the person u decided to fall in love with on nairaland is a 'sonofananimal' grin.... Hnmm sonofananimal1 of halfrica... Lawd wat am i yet to see again embarassed
WHAT IS WRONG angry

I'M NOT A HUMAN BEING undecided

EVERY HUMAN BEING DESERVE TO BE LOVED BY SOMEONE REGARDLESS OF HIS CRAZY NAME!!
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
WHAT IS WRONG angry

Hany dont mind her she doesnt kno u are from the lion of the tribe of judas grin
name is notin bt an initials i velly mch love u ok wipe ur tears its ok
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
WHAT IS WRONG angry

Hany dont mind her she doesnt kno u are from the lion of the tribe of judas grin
name is notin bt an identification i velly mch love u ok wipe ur tears its ok
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:

grin winshi winshi plenty for here i heard nairaland is the headquarters of winsh association their boss is mr cork vp cute hector embarassed

Lets carry our love for head like pail of water do noramdic movement outta here
By d way in front of nairaland people i possess my love for u
U are now my swimrat hany and durllin grin i lofts u so march ok boo
YOU I HAVE A LOT OF ENEMY HERE, AND THEIR WON'T WHAT US TO BE TOGETHER, SO LET DO IT IN SECRET WERE THE WALLS HAVE NO HEAR AND THE SKY CAN'T SEE NOTHING wink
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
YOU I HAVE A LOT OF ENEMY HERE, AND THEIR WON'T WHAT US TO BE TOGETHER, SO LET DO IT IN SECRET WERE THE WALLS HAVE NO HEAR AND THE SKY CAN'T SEE NOTHING wink
My fone has got WALL papers and my screen saver is a SKY i can HEAR anytin wiv my fone Can see ANYTHING too
Hany we are nt save anywhr sef
She we do our love stone age whr i write my message on a stone for u and throw it at u to make sure its delivered tongue
My fone cant keep secrets anytin i do it updates it on every social media app available even the apps nt on my fone
My fone is a lawd of gossip embarassed
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:

name is notin bt an identification i velly mch love u ok wipe ur tears its ok
MENN!!! YOU HAVE WREAKEN EVERY BONES OF IN MY BODY.

NOW I KNOW THE MEANING OF THIS PROVERB "THE KEYS OF A MAN'S HEART LIES BETWEEN THE LIPS OF A WOMAN"
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
MENN!!! YOU HAVE WREAKEN EVERY BONES OF IN MY BODY.

NOW I KNOW THE MEANING OF THIS PROVERB "THE KEYS OF A MAN'S HEART LIES BETWEEN THE LIPS OF A WOMAN"

do u mean the keys of a man heart lies between the HIPS of a woman grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:

do u mean the keys of a man heart lies between the HIPS of a woman grin

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN, BUT I DO KNOW THAT THE HIPS OF A WOMAN IS AS SOFT AS A FEATHER AND YOU CAN'T COMPARE IT WITH A PILLOW
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN, BUT I DO KNOW THAT THE HIPS OF A WOMAN IS AS SOFT AS A FEATHER AND YOU CAN'T COMPARE IT WITH A PILLOW
Ehn na why niggas they one kee theirself for ordinary pillow and shiittt tank well grin as our love is bonding well like peruvian weave oil bond am pround to annoynce to u dat am pregnant with so mch love for you ok
You are the father of the love am carrying in me ok
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 02, 2015
safarigirl:
lol. Disciplined and home-trained girls in Kano? Lol, you have all been scammed.

Ashawo sef dey Kano, because pesin dey wrap all the wrapables no mean say dem clean. Northern girls wey dey room with guys for school here? Except you want to marry an uneducated girl, nothing like 'disciplined and home-trained' girl.for this north wey I dey
hehehehehahahaha!!nah e be say I get goodluck for my choice oh!I can't talk about her online though but... I have seen things in the north too, even their married women go after youngprix. But, aborbee no worry...this one tight like kwandom. Its about the home , she's from a home and not a house.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by innervoice(m): 5:27pm On Aug 02, 2015
safarigirl:
it is people who train their kids to believe that marriage is the be all Ndd end all of every woman that go about beghing people to marry their daughters. For what? Can you gain eternal life with marriage? Immortality is gotten by your works on earth, not by the husband or kids you left behind.

Better to be single and happy than married and depressed. If you force marriage, you will end up unhappy or dead so I will never understand why anyone rates marriage as an achievement.

If I do have a daughter, best believe I won't be training her to be suitor-searching, i'll raise her to seek knowledge and happiness. If a suitor comes along, fine.....and when I said I stand more to gain from a single daughter, it's you who assumed I meant that in a materialistic way, so your mindset is programmed that way.[/b]

Anyone who is anti-bride price should either stay single or go to Ghana where the women marry the men

Are you kidding? Didn't you say you would like the suitor to pay you back everything you invested in your daughter's education?
I asked you a simple question, no need for this long epistle and denial. What is it you want as bride price that should return your investment in her education, kindness and care? grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Handsome4real(m): 5:39pm On Aug 02, 2015
OP all you've said is meaningless. Even the bible said we should give honour to whom honour is due.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:

Ehn na why niggas they one kee theirself for ordinary pillow and shiittt tank well grin as our love is bonding well like peruvian weave oil bond am pround to annoynce to u dat am pregnant with so mch love for you ok
You are the father of the love am carrying in me ok
grin grin I WILL GLADLY FATHER THAT LITTLE BABY LOVE IN YOUR STOMACH,

MEN I WILL BECOME A DADDY OF LOVE VERY SOON!!
JUST SO HAPPY grin grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
grin grin I WILL GLADLY FATHER THAT LITTLE BABY LOVE IN YOUR STOMACH,

MEN I WILL BECOME A DADDY OF LOVE VERY SOON!!
JUST SO HAPPY grin grin

Her name is loveinta which means if u love me i love u grin baby shower is tonyt dress code come nakid shocked
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Zeusd3(m): 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2015
I don't d op understands English... if he does that mean he reads the bible upside down.... u need a good pastor clown head...
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:

Her name is loveinta which means if u love me i love u grin baby shower is tonyt dress code come nakid shocked
LOLZ!! FUNNY, grin grin WE HAVE DERAIL THIS POOR OP THREAD grin grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
LOLZ!! FUNNY, grin grin WE HAVE DERAIL THIS POOR OP THREAD grin grin

No hany true love strives anywhr grin

And dives into anything!!!!
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 02, 2015
only christians checkout this blog www.godisalife..com
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 02, 2015
nice post

Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by iamtomi(f): 7:19pm On Aug 02, 2015
fyneboi79:
Olodo!
u are my senior in dat smiley
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by fyneboi79(m): 7:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
iamtomi:
u are my senior in dat smiley
hell no!
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by micmond: 10:07pm On Aug 02, 2015
Op u made a great effort in ur write up, Well done.
In as much as agree with u in few fact I really want u to know that the act of paying bride-price or dowry must not necessary be commanded by GOD for it to be obeyed, though u never kicked against it but u termed it a sin cos it was not commanded by God. Since the creation of man God gave man a willpower to address his own issues hence jesus told the apostles WHAT EVER U BIND ON EARTH SHALL BE BOUND IN HEAVEN AND WHAT EVER U LOOSE ON EARTH SHALL BE LOOSE IN HEAVEN that gives us the power to make constitute laws in places we found ourselves and the apostles excised that power in act 15, and the law they made is binding till today.Ever befor GOD called Abraham.Abraham has his traditional way of presenting sacrifices to his gods.God told him to sacrifice Isaac but HE never told him how to do it because Abraham has a pre-knowledge of how to make burnt sacrifice,but difference is He is a consuming fire. In Jacob days giving of dowry or bride-price was the expected cultural practice (gen 29) gen 34:12 1 sam 18:25 and God through his prophets or jesus did not condemned it cos it is man tradition and heaven said amen to it. Commanded or not commanded it is the permissive will of God. If ur inlaw gives u a list then it's in ur power to consider, if u have it then there is nothing too much to offer for the love u profess.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by allenadeola(m): 12:44am On Aug 03, 2015
finamaris:
Let's not jump into conclusion,because to
me dere there is a reason for bride price which is to prepare the groom foR d task ahead

To prepare d groom for d responsibility he is abt to undertake thereby making him strong and independent
To prevent broken homes ( if you never ready make you no enter. Na for matured mind)

If bride price is a way of preparing the groom, does it mean that people that do not collect it care less about how prepared the groom is?

And by the way, how far has bride price contributed to stable marriages over the years?

As for me, I think bride price is cool but the content should not be determined by the bride's family but by the discretion of the groom's, this will even give room for better assessment of the family that you are giving out your daughter to.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 1:04am On Aug 03, 2015
wow! i love this...this msg must be passed down to everbdy in this country esp those igbo(imo) parents...in short make them add m to nigeria constitution esp that 50shekel part
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by kamkechi(f): 9:41am On Aug 04, 2015
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin
ole!
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by snakebeat: 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
Blossom023:
Yes pay what you can but it doesn't apply to everyone... I know of a guy who payed 1k as dowry... My mom's bride price was up to a mil. Different families, different things.. It's not like the parents are poor but most of them want to see how much you have to take care of their daughter. In kalabari if its iya its hella expensive, if its igwo , it's cheap.. Go for any kind that suits you..

Because you can't pay bride price doesn't mean everybody should give their dota for free.. I know of a place in Yoruba land wer dey don't pay dowry.. Go there.

If I give you an iphone 6+ for free ND u saving money to buy it... Which do you think you will value?

Is the bolded one millimetre or million? That's outrageous! Even slaves weren't sold for such an outrageous amount, that's pure greed...
I guess ur mum is from igbo? That tribe should really work on their bride price.

I can see most women defending tradition because of bride price, but these same women will be quick to condemn this same tradition when it comes to a man having certain rights as the head. How bias can women be...
Btw, women are humans, not iphone....
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Chidoks(f): 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2015
you contradicted yourself with point 6. marriage is done according to the obtainable cultures and tradition.if your tradition requires only gifts, cool.it it is free, cool.if it's on credit cool again.the most important thing is to contract a valid narriage cikena!

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 04, 2015
Reminds me of a cousin whose well to do fiance was given this outrageous list (The parents are as Greedy as hell). angry

The guy calmly accepted the list without complaints and only asked for a couple of months to get everything together. He then got the girl pregnant a few weeks later and convince her to keep it since they were going to be married anyways (Being staunch Catholics and considering the marriage plans already on ground, it was an easy choice for the family). 3 months down the line, he pulled a 180 on the family claiming his pastor told him that God did not approve of the union tongue. By then, everyone knew about the pregnancy and the impending marriage.

All hell was let loose! In order to save face, the guy was summoned by the girl's parents and when he finally showed up, he came bearing gifts and one question "should he disobey God & marry the girl?" grin. ofcourse nobody could give a straight answer cheesy

He then asked for more time to seek the face of God again. Mind u, pregnancy was pushing 3 months & by then, the girl's parents were desperate. he came back a week later complaining about the list. He clearly told them what part of the requirement he was willing to fulfill in a "take it or leave it" manner. My uncles were dumbfounded & humbled. They accepted it without so much as a word.

Trad was done 3 weeks after that and white wedding 2 months later (Both done in a big way! like i said, the guy is rich). He got her a Lexus jeep as a wedding gift (it was delivered on the wedding day).

We were later to find out it was the plan all along cos that he didn't find the attempt at extortion funny! different stokes for different folks right?

It's all water under the bridge now cos He's helping the family in more ways than one!

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2015
snakebeat:

Is the bolded one millimetre or million? That's outrageous! Even slaves weren't sold for such an outrageous amount, that's pure greed...
I guess ur mum is from igbo? That tribe should really work on their bride price.

I can see most women defending tradition because of bride price, but these same women will be quick to condemn this same tradition when it comes to a man having certain rights as the head. How bias can women be...
Btw, women are humans, not iphone....

My mom is not igbo neither is my dad. If the parents give you free of charge, no problem, if they ask for money, fine!! Because you're not okay with it doesn't mean you should condemn people who do it. My dad had the money to spend, he didn't complain, else he would not have iya'd her. So please
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2015
Chidoks:
you contradicted yourself with point 6. marriage is done according to the obtainable cultures and tradition.if your tradition requires only gifts, cool.it it is free, cool.if it's on credit cool again.the most important thing is to contract a valid narriage cikena!

Thank you.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hopilo4life(m): 12:29am On Aug 05, 2015
HerexG:

Let me say that would be a burrowed culture all thanks to our uneducated fore father's who was grossly manipulated by these western demons to forcefully accept what is totally not of us. Even majority of them don't regard this books we hold in an high esteem written by primitive men.

The Bible is written by primitive men? Guy i peti you,because you are a lost soul.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 5:52am On Aug 11, 2015
HerexG:

Let me say that would be a burrowed culture all thanks to our uneducated fore father's who was grossly manipulated by these western demons to forcefully accept what is totally not of us. Even majority of them don't regard this books we hold in an high esteem written by primitive men.

All of you singing that its a tradition to ask for Bride price please go and ask the elderly at home as i have done same and they will still corroborate the biblical injunction that bride price are only for virgins and in those days, bride price is paid to a parent of the lady only if she remains chaste till marriage and singing and dancing usually get displayed but if she has been violated before marriage, they will send her back to her parents with wailers and shame so please you all should stop talking about traditions you know little or nothing about.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Baths His Baby, Becomes An Internet Sensation (Photos, Video) / Man Found Money His Grandfather Hid In The Ceiling 30 Years Ago / Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.