Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos (4350 Views)

"No Food, No Roads, No Light, No Water, No Probs" (Photo) / No Light, No Fuel: When Will This Suffering End? (photo) / Photo: No Government Can Fix Nigeria In 4years - Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 03, 2015
AnambraDota:

I won't trust you, I will ask Abi grin grin grin your a paid e-goat grin grin grin grin
tell him to tell you about the modern styled road from omo onile bus stop to rogo bus stop, the standard iju-agege road, the road from omo onile to ndike market all with street lights.
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:10pm On Aug 03, 2015
Erosion in Ondo published in a scientific journal grin grin grin

https://www.google.com/search?q=soil+erosion+in+oNDO,+Nigeria&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMI78qD5sCNxwIVyRmSCh2CnA64&biw=1366&bih=673#imgrc=RyK694-p5YeW-M%3A

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:13pm On Aug 03, 2015
Erosion in Ibadan

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:15pm On Aug 03, 2015
Thousands of flooding and erosion photos of Ibadan here, with one example photo posted below

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACZrhVvXBvbTYIjiBAbKB9Z3DmKDIAwcxShrAm-zmK7LomW93g98AjKEDs1ttb0qqE2hee8Tv6XuCIJ5cAlPV1EpetSoSCYEBsoH1ncOYEZI4ch0qfbK1KhIJoMgDBzFKGsARsY7ixl91DYEqEgmb7OYrsuiZbxE45clFynfV8yoSCXeD3wCMoQOzEekiJnbi6H53KhIJW21vSqoTaF4RUxptRhXzhA8qEgl7xO_1pe4IgnhGXSi-S_1dPigSoSCVwCU9XUSl61EYSKER99uu_18&q=soil%20erosion%20in%20oNDO%2C%20Nigeria&ei=1q6_VaDrMdaAygTg3b2ACw&ved=0CAkQ9C8wAGoVChMIoK7VzMGNxwIVVoCSCh3gbg-w&dpr=1&biw=1366&bih=673#imgrc=aW1l9w-UjDiONM%3A

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:20pm On Aug 03, 2015
You know 95% of SWners are so ignorant about goings-on in the SW. They do not even know that their land is ravaged by the triple evil of erosion, flooding and ocean surge. Triple environmental whammy grin

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:24pm On Aug 03, 2015

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:25pm On Aug 03, 2015

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:28pm On Aug 03, 2015
Urban Gully Development in Southwestern Nigeria
Aderemi Adediji, Matthew Olomolatan Ibitoye
●Abstract
●Full-Text PDF
●Full-Text HTML
●Full-Text ePUB
●Linked References
●How to Cite this Article
Department of Geography, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
Email: remiadediji2003@yahoo.co.uk
Copyright © 2013 Aderemi Adediji, Matthew Olomolatan Ibitoye. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Received December 11th, 2012; revised January 9th, 2013; accepted January 23rd, 2013
Keywords: Urban Area; Gully Development; Accelerated Erosion; Southwestern Nigeria
ABSTRACT
This study examined the development of urban gullies in a part of Southwestern Nigeria. This was done with a view to determine the volume and amount of sediment loss from the 1st and 2nd order gullies in a cascade system. Twenty (20) towns were randomly selected from where thirty (30) gully systems comprising forty (40) 1st order and five (5) 2nd order gullies were measured with Tape and Total Station (TS). The gully dimensions measured include gully lengths, depths and cross sectional areas. The core samples were also taken from the study gullies for the determination of the soil bulk density. The results showed that the mean volume of soil loss from the 1st order and (2nd) order gullies in the study area are 1612.633 m3 and 1629.922 m3, respectively. The weight of the estimated sediment loss from the 1st order and 2nd order gullies are 2661.621 and 2657.318 tonnes, respectively. The result further showed that the total soil loss of 119661.442 tonnes was obtained from the study gullies and that the 1st order gullies accounted for 87% (106,375 tonnes) of the total soil loss. This was an indication of soil degradation in the area.

http://file.scirp.org/Html/6-8501054_31521.htm
The gullies in SW are so sophisticated that they have been officially documented in academic journals grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
Help ! Ekiti state to be cut off from Western Nigeria
http://alarinka-agbaye..com/2014/10/help-ekiti-state-to-be-cut-off-from.html
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Adelaide2: 7:38pm On Aug 03, 2015

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by FKO81(m): 8:05pm On Aug 03, 2015
To register my presence
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 03, 2015
Ajo nwa slaying South West as if tomorrow no dey
Adelaide2:
Help ! Ekiti state to be cut off from Western Nigeria
http://alarinka-agbaye..com/2014/10/help-ekiti-state-to-be-cut-off-from.html
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Francis5: 7:14am On Aug 04, 2015
Lol
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by AnambraDota: 7:59am On Aug 04, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by Environer: 2:10pm On Sep 08, 2015
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by weedcrusha: 11:40am On Feb 27, 2016
Anambra State
It is a known fact that Anambra State is one of the most ecologically damaged states in Nigeria. Erosion has rendered many homeless and made areas of fertile land useless while still threatening to eat-up the 4844km2 area of the states.

Over the years, huge financial resources have been sunk into erosion management and control in Anambra and there is still no abatement for the menace in the state. Anambra is 2nd with respect to population density in Nigeria. With population and erosion rapidly expanding, a future might exist in which they would not be enough land to cater for the expanding population.

At present, most of the erosion management has focused largely on post-erosion management, which does not recover lost land or properties as it mostly stops erosion site from spreading. We need to change approach and lay more emphasis on pre-erosion management. Most of the factors, which affect erosion in the state are natural and look insurmountable, but with dedication it is largely controllable.

In pre-erosion management the erosion is tackled head on before it even occurs and hence easily averted. Anambra has to invest funds in reading and controlling the early stage of erosion and monitoring each site and checking up any signs of splash, sheet and rill erosion quickly.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/09/erosion-in-anambra-state/

Abia State
......Abia is one of the states that is seriously devastated by gully erosion and the environmental concern has made successive administrations in the state to solicit the assistance of the Federal Government in curbing the ecological menace. The state has always been striving to X-ray the ecological problem to the appropriate authorities at any given opportunity......

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/comment-debate/6355-curbing-the-menace-of-erosion-in-abia#rGgxBEyhXrijQWWo.99

Imo State
Many residents watch the earth move, pulling down homes, cutting off roads and leaving them in despair. OKODILI NDIDI reports on the ravages of erosion in Imo State

It sometimes looks like a horror movie in slow motion. Right before their eyes, roads and farmlands are being washed away. Some communities are being cut off, houses buried in red earth. In some places, residents of threatened homes peer down in horror on the huge gulf created by that seven-letter word: erosion.

Most communities in Imo State are coping rather badly with the phenomenon. Displaced residents have been suking, unsure when the terror will end.

http://thenationonlineng.net/the-rage-of-erosion-in-imo/

Enugu State
Enugu State Governor Sullivan Chime has said that the state has the highest number of erosion sites in Nigeria. Governor Chime said this through his deputy, Rev. Raphael Ifeanyichukwu Nwoye, in an address at the launch of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP).
He said efforts by state and local government areas as well as constituencies to control gully erosion, before now were at best partially or temporarily effective for reasons that included improper road designs, inadequate drainage systems and poor solid waste management.
Chime said other reasons include destructive and unsustainable land use practices that removed protective vegetation cover, over grazing, deforestation, cultivation of marginal lands and uncontrolled mining for building materials and climate change challenges

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/36879-enugu-has-highest-number-of-erosion-sites#iUGkLgXxYeD4utfU.99

Ebonyi State
Ebonyi State and the Federal Government have teamed up to tackle erosion, perhaps the worst environmental threat in the region.

The collaboration is considered a strong step forward by the Dave Umahi administration because erosion ravages most parts of the state, especially Afikpo North, Afikpo South and Ohaozara local government areas.

http://thenationonlineng.net/ebonyi-fed-govt-fight-erosion/

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by kenny987(f): 11:57am On Feb 27, 2016
All some posters have succeeded in doing on this thread is pointing out a common problem that affects the Southern part of Nigeria. There is no need to come and start trying to say one's place is better than the other as regards this environmental hazard. The question should now be: What are our leaders doing to address this mess? What measures are being put in place to arrest these dangerous developments?

This should let u all see that when u sit behind your keyboards and call the SE an erosion-ravaged area and all whatnot, you are only being the proverbial ostrich hiding one's head in the sand while your arse is out in the open for all to see! These developments are not hidden, it is out in the open so get real and look for solutions rather than engage in this pissing contest that takes one nowhere!
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by weedcrusha: 12:00pm On Feb 27, 2016
Flood and erosion has rendered millions homeless in Igboland

The formation of gullies has become one of the greatest environmental disasters facing many towns and villages in southeastern Nigeria. This region is fast becoming hazardous for human habitation. Three months ago Southeast governors demanded the imposition of a state of emergency as a necessary step towards checking the erosion menace in the region.

Hundreds of people are directly affected every year within towns and villages and have to be re-located, and yet the rate of increase in gully erosion has continued unabated with no suitable solution.

The economic cost of gully erosion in southeastern Nigeria is devastating. Gully erosions lead to great losses of land every year. Large sections of land have been destroyed in recent years in towns such as Ekwulobia and Nanka. In addition, highways are ruined due to gullies, leading to numerous vehicle accidents and deaths.

http://nigerianstalk.org/2010/03/22/gully-erosions-the-silent-killer-in-southeastern-nigeria/

WITH the rain pouring in torrents in many parts of the country, its effect is adversely affecting many erosion-prone communities in Anambra State. It has become a common sight to see many families abandoning their homes whenever it rains because their houses are flooded. The floods have created gully erosion in areas that hitherto did not have such problems.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/erosion-havoc-anambra-community-cries-out/

Frankly writing, it is better late than never for our people to be saved. One humbly, pleads that someone tackles the problems of floods, soil and gully erosion and landslides in Igbo Land. It will be a historical success story if one can deal deathblows on these ecological disasters ravaging the different towns and communities in Igbo Land. The Igbo States of Abia, Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi and Imo that form the Southeast zone of Nigeria have been suffering from these horrendous ecological hazards that require most serious control programmes

http://www.osondu.com/VolumeFour/gullyerosionegboka.htm

Abia State Government says 1, 200 erosion sites, constituting a major ecological disaster, have been identified in the state.

The State Governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, who disclosed this yesterday in Umuahia, said in view of the huge capital outlay required to tackle the ecological problem, his administration was prepared to key into the joint World Bank and Federal Government’s erosion control programme through the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management initiative (NEWMAP).

1200 erosion sites in a state not up to 1/6th of Kwara state

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=12347&title=1,200-erosion-sites-identified-in-Abia

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by weedcrusha: 12:24pm On Feb 27, 2016
Adelaide2:

Environer:
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

AnambraDota:
grin grin grin

DikeOha882:
Ajo nwa slaying South West as if tomorrow no dey

Francis5:
Lol

Anambra the worst state affected by flood in Nigeria

https://www.naij.com/10793.html

Anambra the most eroded state in Nigeria followed closely by Abia, Imo, Enugu and Ebonyi

That Anambra State is the most erosion devastated state in the country is evident; that it is prone to greater ecological disaster if no serious intervention is structured to combat the awful degradation is truer. Anambra State is adjudged to be the most erosion prone and erosion devastated landscape in the world. Although other states in the south-East geopolitical zone of Nigeria have some dose of the environmental ogre, none compares to the intimidating number and sizes of the erosion sites in Anambra State. The South-East is therefore obviously threatened by a physical environment that seems ever ready to slip into nothingness.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/02/anambra-state-and-the-menace-of-erosion/

More Pics of the most eroded and flooded region in Nigeria Igboland

Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by weedcrusha: 12:32pm On Feb 27, 2016
kenny987:
All some posters have succeeded in doing on this thread is pointing out a common problem that affects the Southern part of Nigeria. There is no need to come and start trying to say one's place is better than the other as regards this environmental hazard. The question should now be: What are our leaders doing to address this mess? What measures are being put in place to arrest these dangerous developments?

This should let u all see that when u sit behind your keyboards and call the SE an erosion-ravaged area and all whatnot, you are only being the proverbial ostrich hiding one's head in the sand while your arse is out in the open for all to see! These developments are not hidden, it is out in the open so get real and look for solutions rather than engage in this pissing contest that takes one nowhere!

Erosion and flooding in Southeast is overwhelming for the government. If the government spend trillions of naira on projects in the region it's just a matter of months before everything turn into ruin. It will just be like fetching water in a basket. Capital WASTE OF MONEY

Imagine ordinary Abia state has 1200 erosion sites, I'm sure Anambra will be up to 5000

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=12347&title=1
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by kenny987(f): 1:34pm On Feb 27, 2016
weedcrusha:

Erosion and flooding in Southeast is overwhelming for the government. If the government spend trillions of naira on projects in the region it's just a matter of months before everything turn into ruin. It will just be like fetching water in a basket. Capital WASTE OF MONEY

Imagine ordinary Abia state has 1200 erosion sites, I'm sure Anambra will be up to 5000

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=12347&title=1

You have ended up still playing the 'mine is better than yours' game which is a complete waste of time in the grand scheme of things. It will be foolhardy for any serious government to site projects in erosion prone areas without carrying out feasibility studies and arresting the cause of such incidences. That is essentially what I have said, that concerned government agencies need to be alive to their responsibilities and address the problems. It is a little myopic of you to sit and say if Abia has 1500, then Anambra must have 5000. That is the statement an uninformed ethnic bigot like yourself will spill out.

Face your matter and leave others. After all this thread is about a place in Lagos which someone was concerned about and posted so when did it become a thread for comparison b/w the SE and SW? It is a common problem and focus should be on addressing it.
Re: PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos by weedcrusha: 2:23pm On Feb 27, 2016
kenny987:

You have ended up still playing the 'mine is better than yours' game which is a complete waste of time in the grand scheme of things. It will be foolhardy for any serious government to site projects in erosion prone areas without carrying out feasibility studies and arresting the cause of such incidences. That is essentially what I have said, that concerned government agencies need to be alive to their responsibilities and address the problems. It is a little myopic of you to sit and say if Abia has 1500, then Anambra must have 5000. That is the statement an uninformed ethnic bigot like yourself will spill out.

Face your matter and leave others. After all this thread is about a place in Lagos which someone was concerned about and posted so when did it become a thread for comparison b/w the SE and SW? It is a common problem and focus should be on addressing it.

I appreciate you pointing out some points, me saying Anambra will have up to 5000 erosion sites is just a sarcasm. However, you can't take away the fact the region is the most eroded and flood prone in the country. Like you pointed out, the thread was created by a well meaning citizen pointing out an environmental degradation in his area in Lagos until an Igbo guy who supposedly lives in Washington started throwing jabs not only on yoruba region but also the people. My posts just exemplify the proverbial "he who leaves in a glass house shouldn't throw a stone"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Estimate Of Population Comparison Of The Geo Political Zones In Nigeria / Breaking News!!! See The Very Expensive Shoe That Buhari Is Wearing! / The Economy Is Looking Up : Well Done PMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.