Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? (3793 Views)

If You Knew What You Know Now, Would You Marry Your Spouse? / Is It Wrong To Stay In Your Own Lane When Newly Married? / Guy Shares Pics With Cousin & People Are Reacting With The Way He Is Holding Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 4:26pm On Aug 07, 2015
please, there is an argument on this topic, and i really need ur candid opinion...

I went for a wedding where the bride is the maternal cousin to the groom...

I didnt see anything wrong with it, cos me personally, i dont see my cousins as my blood, just my relatives...(i may be wrong, buh its my view anyways..)..

buh most people were really against it,, saying marrying your cousin is an abomination and all that crap,,

So, my people, i bring this to you guys, maybe i can get a clear explanation here... What are your views on this??

Is marrying your cousin wrong??

Cheers.
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Melahou(m): 4:28pm On Aug 07, 2015
Ehennn
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by DFemaleBoss(f): 4:30pm On Aug 07, 2015
Abomination

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by bluecircle470: 4:32pm On Aug 07, 2015
Dnt really know if it is an abomination o. All i knw is dat if its a distance cousin i dnt see anything bad in it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by akinloluwao: 4:34pm On Aug 07, 2015
Its not wrong at all. You can even marry your younger sister set. Na love matter. Ewu gambia

8 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by bi0nics: 4:44pm On Aug 07, 2015
Not Really Op... Since It's not your blood sister undecided
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Skillfullulu(m): 4:47pm On Aug 07, 2015
It's not a bad thing to do but canbb done only b an insane fellow, my bad? Sorry
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Cutehector(m): 4:51pm On Aug 07, 2015
Many people hav sex wit dr cousins.....
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 4:58pm On Aug 07, 2015
bi0nics:
Not Really Op... Since It's not your blood sister undecided
is this what u really think? Or are u being sarcastic,, the emoticon u used is confusing me, thats all..
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by simpleseyi: 4:58pm On Aug 07, 2015
Leviticus Chapter 18

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am the LORD your God.

3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.

4 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the LORD your God.

5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.

6 None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their unclothedness: I am the LORD.

7 The unclothedness of thy father, or the unclothedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her unclothedness.

8 The unclothedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's unclothedness.

9 The unclothedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their unclothedness thou shalt not uncover.

10 The unclothedness of thy son's daughter, or of thy daughter's daughter, even their unclothedness thou shalt not uncover: for theirs is thine own unclothedness.

11 The unclothedness of thy father's wife's daughter, begotten of thy father, she is thy sister, thou shalt not uncover her unclothedness.

12 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.

13 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy mother's sister: for she is thy mother's near kinswoman.

14 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy father's brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt.

15 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy daughter in law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her unclothedness.

16 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy brother's wife: it is thy brother's unclothedness.

17 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her unclothedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness.

18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her unclothedness, beside the other in her life time.

19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her unclothedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.

20 Moreover thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbour's wife, to defile thyself with her.

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:

25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:

27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiledwink

28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.

29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 4:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
Cutehector:
Many people hav sex wit dr cousins.....
so what then is your point? Do u see anything wrong with marrying ur cousin?
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by bi0nics: 5:00pm On Aug 07, 2015
zinachidi:
is this what u really think? Or are u being sarcastic,, the emoticon u used is confusing me, thats all..

I was being sarcastic...

Buh Think about it.. what are the consequences
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 5:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
akinloluwao:
Its not wrong at all. You can even marry your younger sister set. Na love matter. Ewu gambia
ok sir, noted...
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2015
bi0nics:

I was being sarcastic...

Buh Think about it.. what are the consequences
well, what are the consequences...
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Cutehector(m): 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2015
zinachidi:
so what then is your point? Do u see anything wrong with marrying ur cousin?
its foolish to do dat... Even though I see nothn wrong wit it..
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by bi0nics: 5:03pm On Aug 07, 2015
zinachidi:
well, what are the consequences...

Im asking you imstead undecided
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 5:06pm On Aug 07, 2015
bluecircle470:
Dnt really know if it is an abomination o. All i knw is dat if its a distance cousin i dnt see anything bad in it.
u do know a distant cousin is the child of your cousin right? So if its okay for u to get married to them,(i dont even know if that is possible.) is it also okay to marry your cousin then?
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 5:08pm On Aug 07, 2015
Cutehector:
its foolish to do dat... Even though I see nothn wrong wit it..
so y is it foolish, if u see nothing wrong with it??
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 5:09pm On Aug 07, 2015
bi0nics:

Im asking you imstead undecided
yes bro, my point exaxctly, i dont see any consequence,, do u?
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Cutehector(m): 5:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
zinachidi:
so y is it foolish, if u see nothing wrong with it??
cuz of wat the society will say. And d fact that there r more dan a billion females in d world to marry
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 5:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
DFemaleBoss:
Abomination
how?? Rather why is it an abomination??

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by zinachidi(m): 5:15pm On Aug 07, 2015
Cutehector:
cuz of wat the society will say. And d fact that there r more dan a billion females in d world to marry
and, she being one of the billion females too?? I get your point though really,, but not all people live by what the society say, u know..
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by bi0nics: 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2015
zinachidi:
yes bro, my point exaxctly, i dont see any consequence,, do u?

No.
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by freecocoa(f): 6:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
Well, where I come from, it is not acceptable but I don't know if there's really anything wrong with that. I hve seen cousins marry and they are fine.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by angieberry(f): 6:16pm On Aug 07, 2015
E get as e be. Even though some people do it.
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by charlito94(m): 6:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
Well from my legal knowlegd of statutory position d marriage will be void n by customary it is wrong to marry from dsame consanguinity
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by natasha: 7:27pm On Aug 07, 2015
Where I come from. It is NOT wrong nor frowned upon to marry your second cousin (ie you and I are first 's cousins, our kids can get married).

However it is a common practice in Islam and Judaism (jews) that they encourage and marry 1st cousins. The north marry 1st cousins all the time. If you live in the core north you ll agree

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by DollyParton1(f): 8:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
zinachidi:
u do know a distant cousin is the child of your cousin right? So if its okay for u to get married to them,(i dont even know if that is possible.) is it also okay to marry your cousin then?
the child of your cousin is not ur distant cousin.
Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by DollyParton1(f): 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2015
Dang!!!!
No more fine and responsibile guys around?
Why do I wanna be banging my cousin?
my cousin is like my brother.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 07, 2015
simpleseyi:
Leviticus Chapter 18

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am the LORD your God.

3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.

4 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the LORD your God.

5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.

6 None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their unclothedness: I am the LORD.

7 The unclothedness of thy father, or the unclothedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her unclothedness.

8 The unclothedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's unclothedness.

9 The unclothedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their unclothedness thou shalt not uncover.

10 The unclothedness of thy son's daughter, or of thy daughter's daughter, even their unclothedness thou shalt not uncover: for theirs is thine own unclothedness.

11 The unclothedness of thy father's wife's daughter, begotten of thy father, she is thy sister, thou shalt not uncover her unclothedness.

12 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.

13 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy mother's sister: for she is thy mother's near kinswoman.

14 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy father's brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt.

15 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy daughter in law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her unclothedness.

16 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of thy brother's wife: it is thy brother's unclothedness.

17 Thou shalt not uncover the unclothedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her unclothedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness.

18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her unclothedness, beside the other in her life time.

19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her unclothedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.

20 Moreover thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbour's wife, to defile thyself with her.

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:

25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:

27 (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiledwink

28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.

29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.
shout out to people whom their destiny is written in pages of the bible.

The bible also said "stone you children" Dueteronomy 21:18-21

Have you obeyed your bible?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Horlubunmmy: 9:35pm On Aug 07, 2015
Absolutely wrong!

But northerners always do it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 07, 2015
DFemaleBoss:
Abomination
Ahswear
What's wrong with people these days
Tufia

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Has My Wife Finally Moved On ? Update 2 / Divorce! Does It Mean God Did Not Ordained The Marriage? / My Husband Steals My Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.