Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

#projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term (1907 Views)

Possible Timelines For The Biafra Actualisation / Why I Allowed Arase Serve His Term- Buhari Opens Up / Remi Sonaiya & Her Nephew Mock Buhari(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 11:04am On Aug 10, 2015
In furtherance to my previous post titled “Shoki in Aso Rock”, I hereby append a Gantt Chart with mock activities and timelines (as a sample) using the Project Management Driven, Portfolio Management approach. This approach involves, identifying, prioritizing, authorizing/decision making, resource allocation, risk control, implementing, managing and performance tracking. In my opinion, this is the surefire way to go to effectively manage a complex environment like Nigeria with declining lean resources and amidst huge expectations from the citizens.

The contents of the Chart are completely indicative and are basic expressions and illustrations of the author to buttress the possibility of applying Project Management principles in the process of Governance in Nigeria. The contents can further be subdivided into smaller sub projects. I am convinced that if this approach is adopted by Government and as much as 50% success is achieved every year, Nigeria will be a greater place in 4 years than it has ever been.

It is high time an “Office of the Project Manager of the Federation” is created and a Project Manager appointed to develop a Project Management Office (PMO) and coordinate, monitor, track and give independent feedback on Project activities, especially infrastructural projects. Alternatively, a Special Adviser may be appointed to undertake this role or the Vice President of the Federation may add this role to his responsibilities.

My little contribution to the progress of Nigeria!

Cc: lalastica

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 11:49am On Aug 10, 2015
Seun, lalasticlala, beremx, cramjones, obiagelli, ngeneukwuenu, Mogidi, ibnSultan, passingshot, omenka, Eco2580, egift, Ishilove, Barcanista and his patriots smiley iPrinz20 Aprokoman, Whynotthetruth, Dearpreye, Firefire, Francizy, Temitemi1, Hinwazaka Biafranqueen, Mogidi, Mizmycoli, IsraeliAirforce, Candyrain, Ambivert, Rose2014, Provacateur, Opiaoku, NDPVF, Anonimi, Engineerboat, Talktimi, ahaika23, coolestrogue Oremussanctus Emperortj93 DebateNigeria Wasquad

2 Likes

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by MizMyColi(f): 12:24pm On Aug 10, 2015
Good One OP.

Personally, I appreciate that you have come up with this mapping.
Shows your zeal for a Nigeria that works.

While I would like to argue the feasibility of the timelines, I think you should include Employment, and remove infrastruture for now.
You get?

cc:Barcanista
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 12:37pm On Aug 10, 2015
MizMyColi:
Good One OP.

Personally, I appreciate that you have come up with this mapping.
Shows your zeal for a Nigeria that works.

While I would like to argue the feasibility of the timelines, I think you should include Employment, and remove infrastruture for now.
You get?

cc:Barcanista

Great feedback ma'am.

Your suggestion is very valid. I'm also of the opinion that provision of infrastructure and basic amenities boosts economic activities in localities where they have been provided, and in turn providing employment.

Infrastructure is the most tangible direct impact the people feel. A friend and I just had a chat about the declining patronage of traders and resellers to Aba. One of the reasons he cited is poor roads. The completion of the 2nd Niger Bridge is very crucial to development in the South East and revisiting the PPP arrangement to forestall a toll is quite pertinent. Completion of Lagos-Ibadan expressway is also a critical project that should meet the short term portfolio.

I will be glad to update accordingly if you can elucidate on the suggested sub-activities under the heading "Employment".

The key strategy is prioritizing amidst limited resources.

Thanks for the remarks and inputs once again..

1 Like

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by Mogidi: 12:43pm On Aug 10, 2015
It is high time an “Office of the Project Manager of the Federation” is created and a Project Manager appointed to develop a Project Management Office (PMO) and coordinate, monitor, track and give independent feedback on Project activities, especially infrastructural projects. Alternatively, a Special Adviser may be appointed to undertake this role or the Vice President of the Federation may add this role to his responsibilities.

You made sense in your article but would it work, would same people not come with other ingenious method to circumvent this office that was meant to regulate it?

The officials of "Project Management Office (PMO)" won't take bribe then tick off unfinished projects as finished would they?
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by PassingShot(m): 12:47pm On Aug 10, 2015
This is a good effort and it shows how passionate you are about making Nigeria work.

My feeling is that each MDA is already having a similar chart detailing their targets as well as measuring their performance in existence. What no one can guarantee is if those charts/plans are being reviewed as should be.

Irrespective of what is in existence, this is worth a look into by our government.

1 Like

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by MizMyColi(f): 1:02pm On Aug 10, 2015
realborn:

Great feedback ma'am.

Your suggestion is very valid. I'm also of the opinion that provision of infrastructure and basic amenities boosts economic activities in localities where they have been provided, and in turn providing employment.

Infrastructure is the most tangible direct impact the people feel. A friend and I just had a chat about the declining patronage of traders and resellers to Aba. One of the reasons he cited is poor roads. The completion of the 2nd Niger Bridge is very crucial to development in the South East and revisiting the PPP arrangement to forestall a toll is quite pertinent. Completion of Lagos-Ibadan expressway is also a critical project that should meet the short term portfolio.

I will be glad to update accordingly if you can elucidate on the suggested sub-activities under the heading "Employment".

Okay, your argument sounds convincing, and I buy it.
In that case, I think development of infrastructure ought to be a sub-heading, in addition to consolidating on the agricultural policies of the last regime, and then youth empowerment through grants, scholarships, e.t.c.
In other words, employment ought to be the chief header.

You catch my drift?
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by MizMyColi(f): 1:03pm On Aug 10, 2015
PassingShot:
This is a good effort and it shows how passionate you are about making Nigeria work.

My feeling is that each MDA is already having a similar chart detailing their targets as well as measuring their performance in existence. What no one can guarantee is if those charts/plans are being reviewed as should be.

Irrespective of what is in existence, this is worth a look into by our government.

Did you have to copy my input?
Be original joor!grin
tongue
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 1:22pm On Aug 10, 2015
Mogidi:

You made sense in your article but would it work, would same people not come with other ingenious method to circumvent this office that was meant to regulate it?

The officials of "Project Management Office (PMO)" won't take bribe then tick off unfinished projects as finished would they?

The essence of the PMO will be to put in place a management structure toward standardizing processes for execution of Projects within MDAs and also providing advice on resource allocation and sharing of methodologies, techniques, tools and checklists. To forestall compromise, the central PMO within the Portfolio will reside within the Presidency and may not be responsible (in this case) for direct execution of projects beyond oversight functions of monitoring and support.

The article primarily relates to deploying Portfolio Management (the key strategy) techniques to "Special Projects" that the Presidency may take direct management or control of. At the outset, MDAs will be required to continue to run sub-projects using existing models or take learnings from the central PMO. In the long run, as the Project Management culture gets better, it can become a statutory approach for all MDAs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 1:27pm On Aug 10, 2015
PassingShot:

Thanks smiley

What is prevalent in MDAs is developing timeline schedules or programmes via Gantt Charts.

The focus of the article and the included chart is deploying Portfolio Management techniques in prioritizing government projects moving forward, with emphasis on the Presidency. To this end, specific projects can be identified, prioritized, authorized and executed within a measurable timeline, say a year or two; performance reviewed in detail before the next budget is submitted. This way, we will see key delivery of capital project overseen directly from the Presidency.
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 1:44pm On Aug 10, 2015
MizMyColi:

Okay, your argument sounds convincing, and I buy it.
In that case, I think development of infrastructure ought to be a sub-heading, in addition to consolidating on the agricultural policies of the last regime, and then youth empowerment through grants, scholarships, e.t.c.
In other words, employment ought to be the chief header.

You catch my drift?

I absolutely catch your drift. I have kept it in my purse to ensure it stays within smiley.

The breakdown structure was developed on the SMART model - Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic & Timebound. This way we all can measure performance without any exhaustive reliance on extensive statistics.

Employment (or reduction of unemployment) and Economy (improvement of the economy) are the key resultant outputs of the proposed activities on the appended Portfolio Management chart. My proposal is basically built on the SER platform - Security, Electricity & Roads. From my assessment of the state of the economy, I arrived at the conclusion that, if the FG can focus 60% of the resources at its disposal to tackling these aforementioned sectors along a structured strategic path, there will be a huge difference in the quality of lives and Nigerians will be happier in 4 years and many more.

As suggested, a heading can be included for "Direct Tackling of Unemployment" with subheadings such as youth empowerment (grants, scholarship, talent harnessing etc), direct employment of a target number of people into the Federal Civil Service, creation of a technological hub in key cities (this way, we can export expert services to neighboring countries. You will not believe I have been looking for an excellent indigenous web developer, but to no avail. I am in talks to outsource same to a foreign national), and many more direct and measurable methods of tackling unemployment.

I hope you catch my further drift. smiley
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by PassingShot(m): 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2015
MizMyColi:

Did you have to copy my input?
Be original joor!grin
tongue
angry sad
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by MizMyColi(f): 2:39pm On Aug 10, 2015
realborn:

I absolutely catch your drift. I have kept it in my purse to ensure it stays within smiley.

The breakdown structure was developed on the SMART model - Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic & Timebound. This way we all can measure performance without any exhaustive reliance on extensive statistics.

Employment (or reduction of unemployment) and Economy (improvement of the economy) are the key resultant outputs of the proposed activities on the appended Portfolio Management chart. My proposal is basically built on the SER platform - Security, Electricity & Roads. From my assessment of the state of the economy, I arrived at the conclusion that, if the FG can focus 60% of the resources at its disposal to tackling these aforementioned sectors along a structured strategic path, there will be a huge difference in the quality of lives and Nigerians will be happier in 4 years and many more.

As suggested, a heading can be included for "Direct Tackling of Unemployment" with subheadings such as youth empowerment (grants, scholarship, talent harnessing etc), direct employment of a target number of people into the Federal Civil Service, creation of a technological hub in key cities (this way, we can export expert services to neighboring countries. You will not believe I have been looking for an excellent indigenous web developer, but to no avail. I am in talks to outsource same to a foreign national), and many more direct and measurable methods of tackling unemployment.

I hope you catch my further drift. smiley

*faints*

I think you're really intelligent and diplomatic.
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 4:14pm On Aug 10, 2015
MizMyColi:

*faints*
I think you're really intelligent and diplomatic.

Awwww. Thanks for the adulatory remarks. Hoping it gets shared on FP.

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by MizMyColi(f): 4:29pm On Aug 10, 2015
realborn:

Awwww. Thanks for the adulatory remarks. Hoping it gets shared on FP.

You're welcome.
I think it's Lalasticlala smiley
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2015
MizMyColi:

You're welcome.
I think it's Lalasticlala smiley

Really?

My brain has been processing the wrong ID all these while. Choi!

Thanks cheesy

1 Like

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by AprokoMan: 8:44pm On Aug 10, 2015
Too bad I'm not on pc now and for that reason I can't see the chart clearly even when I zoom it. But from the sketch, it's easy to tell that u put a lot of effort on it. Kudos.
I also like that you highlighted on the need for more infrastructural facilities - or proper maintenance of existing ones - as they would aid tremendously in boosting economic activities ......and also create more job opportunities. Nice article, Op. How I wish this idea can be passed on...
But then, why is this not on the front page yet
Lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 8:06am On Aug 11, 2015
[quote author=AprokoMan post=36822465][/quote]

Thanks man for the kind feedback!
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2015
realborn:

Great feedback ma'am.

MizMyColi,

I was very delighted to see that Fashola's short term proposal (https://www.nairaland.com/2788892/fashola-unveils-agenda-roads-power) on Infrastructure ( included the recommendations (Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and 2nd Niger Bridge) in the above post.

Portfolio Management is the way to go!
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by MizMyColi(f): 4:48pm On Dec 08, 2015
realborn:

MizMyColi,

I was very delighted to see that Fashola's short term proposal (https://www.nairaland.com/2788892/fashola-unveils-agenda-roads-power) on Infrastructure ( included the recommendations (Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and 2nd Niger Bridge) in the above post.

Portfolio Management is the way to go!

Yes, true talk.
If it's only that Fashola completes that Niger Bridge, then as far as I'm concerned, he is a success.

The 2nd Niger Bridge generated lots of controversy and many claimed that Buhari purposely stopped ongoing plans.

It will quell emotions and give a generally favourable impression that he means well for south easterners.
If the bridge ever gets completed in Buhari's tenure....
I owe GEJ a knock.undecided

2 Likes

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 5:04pm On Dec 08, 2015
MizMyColi:

Yes, true talk.
If it's only that Fashola completes that Niger Bridge, then as far as I'm concerned, he is a success.

The 2nd Niger Bridge generated lots of controversy and many claimed that Buhari purposely stopped ongoing plans.

It will quell emotions and give a generally favourable impression that he means well for south easterners.
If the bridge ever gets completed in Buhari's tenure....
I owe GEJ a knock.undecided

Lolol. I am hopeful. Despite the dwindling oil prices, despite the annoying slow pace of governance today, I see a better Nigeria in 4 years...
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by MizMyColi(f): 5:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
smiley
realborn:

Lolol. I am hopeful. Despite the dwindling oil prices, despite the annoying slow pace of governance today, I see a better Nigeria in 4 years...
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
I'm disappointed that there is so much focus on infrastructure and there seems to be little interest in revamping our education sector and generating interest in ICT.
As for ICT, I concede we might not be able to achieve much as long as our power situation remains a mockery of what it should be. But what about education? Not just free or affordable education but a proper one in line with what is in vogue in most advanced countries or developing countries.

1 Like

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by kaboninc(m): 5:29pm On Dec 08, 2015
realborn.....

Does your project analysis considers issues like "challenges", "uncertainty", "them say, we say, we get" and their effects on project deliverables?

Also, I think the Budget Office of the Presidency handles most of these activities you mentioned. The last administration had a Coordinating Minister and the economic policy of this administration will be driven by the Office of the Vice President.
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by realborn(m): 5:37pm On Dec 08, 2015
kaboninc:
realborn.....

Does your project analysis considers issues like "challenges", "uncertainty", "them say, we say, we get" and their effects on project deliverables?

Also, I think the Budget Office of the Presidency handles most of these activities you mentioned. The last administration had a Coordinating Minister and the economic policy of this administration will be driven by the Office of the Vice President.

Yes, risks and available resources were considered in allocating timelines to the Gantt Chart at the time it was prepared.
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by kaboninc(m): 6:05pm On Dec 08, 2015
realborn:

Yes, risks and available resources were considered in allocating timelines to the Gantt Chart at the time it was prepared.

Am currently reviewing the chart and these were my findings!

GENERAL

1. Execute efforts to recover looted funds - 12 wks

2. Manage depreciation of the Naira against the Dollar through apposite policies - 8 wks

3. Develop framework to diversify the economy - 8 wks

Can 12 weeks be enough to recover looted funds? Managing the "depreciation of the naira" is not a time based issue and neither is deveoping a framework to diversify the economy. These are overlapping, continuous steps that depend on very dynamic variables. I do not think it has something to do with timelines. For example, developing a framework to diversify the economy is an activity that one must formulate even before signifying an interest to contest for a leadership position. Also, the strength of the naira reacts according to the pace of the economy.

SECURITY

Some of the actions you listed under this heading are time based activities and some are not. E.g. is "End of Insurgency" - this can never be predicted. At least not now; Improved Welfare of the Nigerian Military - there is an existing initiative on ground; Improve Security and Enhance welfare and conditions at IDP camps - this is also something that must be constantly reviewed and improved upon;

ELECTRICITY

On power, having sold almost all the power generating plants and distribution companies, the focus should be on enhancing for improved performance the capacity and capability of our transmission infrastructures. This is where there have been talks about privatizing the Transmission Company of Nigeria or not. The private firms have their individual timelines on when to perform major upgrades and maintenance of their facilities. Same with the distribution of meters by the discos (a private led entity) to customers and which will also be a continuous exercise.

On the construction of new IPPs, the focus today is for government to sell off existing IPPs. So constructing a new one is really not in the plan. Most importantly, constructing a new IPP will take much more than 60 wks (2 months). The direction today on power generation is the construction of off-grid power plants or the review of existing guidelines that gives more flexibility to power plants owners to generate and distribute power even when they produce above a certain threshold.

I'll stop here.

I like that you have the interest of Nigeria at heart.

PS: Can you also list some of the risks and available resources you considered in allocating timelines?

1 Like

Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
Great
Re: #projectnigeria: Proposed Mock Timelines For The Short Term by Ghandi12: 6:48pm On Dec 08, 2015
../
..!

Thank God we still have patriotic Nigerians. Thanks for putting this in front-burner.

Our constitution has made provision for these roles already - Project execution and monitoring are constitutional responsibilities of the Executive (Presidency and Ministers). While the lawmakers have oversight function as one of their constitutional roles.

Creating a different office for project management will require legal or constitutional backing to have any meaningful bite. As Ministers works will be subject to sanctions of the Project Manager.

(1) (Reply)

Answer These Questions If You Think Sanusi's 18yr Old Wife Is Abomination. / I Saw Alamieyeseigha In Heaven – “prophet” Okupe / Most Literatures On Biafra Are Lies; War is not a joke- Kayode Ogundamisi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.