Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:15 AM

Soldiers And Brutality - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soldiers And Brutality (670 Views)

Soldiers And IPOB Clash In Abia, Dangote Truck On Fire (Video, Photos) / Militants Ambush Soldiers In Warri, Kill 2 Soldiers And Six Civilians / Soldiers And Shiites Clash In Zaria, Seven Killed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldiers And Brutality by Chidexter(m): 2:35pm On Aug 10, 2015
Hey, Come here! Oya, Do 30 push up.
Fast! Fast!.
Idiot!, Get up and do frog jump from here to that sign board and back.

Have you been a victim of Soldier brutality/punishment.
If Yes, i bet it would easily make your top 3 most memorable/embarassing/regretable life experience/(ok thats enough)....

As someone who spent 16 yrs of my life in the barracks, i can categorically say that its not something i wish even my enemy to experience.

There's been widely reported cases of some soldiers beating civillians(mostly innocent) or asking some of them to roll on the floor, crawl e.t.c.

Personally, i've witnessed individuals who have been tortured or made to serve countless punishments for disobeying a simple command or probably doing nothing at all.

A typical Nigerian Soldier while in the course of joining the Army, has been put through rigorous excercises, from sitting on their heads(i wonder what benefit it has) to crawling long distances, running for miles, as well as crossing obstacles and much more.
They've been trained to be ruthless when needed and compassionate to those in need(yet many oppose this), If a Soldier, say a Lance corporal disobeys a command by an immediate senior he could be made to serve punishments for it, ranging from extra duties(where he'll be at work all night) to cutting of large portions of grasses.

Now, that mentality of disobedience leading to punishment has sadly been stamped on their brains. Some of them no longer see civilians as people they should protect but rather Potential Punishment Candidates(PPC).

A Civillian that knows almost nothing about obeying a command immediately its been ordered is sadly punished brutally.....
Take for instance, You pass by an Army check point or barracks, If while passing You throw a piece of paper, or nylon you're holding(its bad i know but doesnt warrant the punishment you'll get) if you're caught! My brother just start praying the barracks doesnt have tall grasses or large amounts of refuse because you might be given a cutlass to cut grasses as tall as a truck ( exaggeration cheesy ). Or you would be asked to pick all the refuse in an area of land fit for 6 other people as well..... And thats just being minimal.

Nigerian soldiers have a common code, which they sadly expect civilians to know,.

That code is: Obey Before Complain.

The earlier you learn this, the better for you.
Fine, You're ordered to roll the whole street of sagamu, or frog jump for 3kms. Please just do it, dont plead, shout, or waste time, in most cases thats a fruitless attempt. Infact it could increase your punishment both in terms of brutality and longevity.

Thats the way they've been trained, If you're in the presence of a soldier it doesnt mean you should be afraid or run away like a criminal, NO. It simply means that you should be at alert, act cautiosly, act normal infact act like one who's disciplined.

Fine, its true that some soldiers just choose to punish people for no just reason, which is very bad. Such a soldier could have punished by a superior and is just transferring agression to you. (some are naturally wicked sha).

My father who was a Soldier(sadly he passed away six years ago) once saved a thief who was 10seconds to getting burn alive, He just had to use the authority as a soldier to calm the angry mobs and handed the criminal to the police.
I'm not saying my Dad is the holiest of all but he certainly wasnt a wicked man.
There are numerous soldiers who could have done the same that day, and there are countless others who would have added salt to the fresh wound.

Finally, some Soldiers punish victims because it gives them that feeling of being god-like and being in control.
Ask them to pick up arms and fight against terrorist and they'd suddenly become meek and humble, some would even run away.
While some soldiers would use their authority for the greater good of the nation, in other for peace to reign.
Its a pity almost nothing can be done to stop some evil minded soldiers,but try as much as possible to act normal, dress well( if you sag pass a group of soldiers there's an 80 percent chance you'd be scolded or punished than someone who dresses normal.

Dont put on military attires like caps, bands, boots, trousers e.t.c. Because if some of them sees you, they'd be like, so me wey go suffer 6months for Depot before i fit wear khaki na im dis bloodly civillian they take do guy now?, hmmm him must suffer for my hand today.

God bless the Nigerian Army
God bless Nigeria

cc
Afam4eva OAM4J Ishilove
Re: Soldiers And Brutality by marshalcarter: 2:41pm On Aug 10, 2015
Ok

#sips H2SO4 grin

But dat doesn't stop me from joinin dem sha angry
Re: Soldiers And Brutality by Chidexter(m): 2:45pm On Aug 10, 2015
marshalcarter:
Ok

#sips H2SO4 grin

But dat doesn't stop me from joinin dem sha angry

I can bet my life savings you didnt read half of what i wrote cheesy
Re: Soldiers And Brutality by boujaye: 2:46pm On Aug 10, 2015
Yes o, however brutal they are such brutality is needed in our society, because some persons behave like bamboos and cows.

Only brutality from soldiers can humble and transform them.
Re: Soldiers And Brutality by marshalcarter: 2:48pm On Aug 10, 2015
Chidexter:

I can bet my life savings you didnt read half of what i wrote cheesy
Aswear me Red(read) everytin cheesy

Hope they still pay you dad??

#sips H2SO4 grin

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News!breaking News! / Who Truly Owns The Tyre; A Or B? / Dokubo, Others Warn Buhari, NNPC Of Extreme Measures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.