Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,737 members, 7,813,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

Who Named The Continents Of The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Named The Continents Of The World (1301 Views)

" Buhari Is Back" Kano Residents Named The New Fever Ravaging The State. / Bola Tinubu Honored With Customized Statue At A Bridge Named After Him In Lagos / Police AIG Summons Case Files Of Man Who Named His Dog ‘Buhari’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 11, 2015
please i really need to confirm who named the continents of the world and what informed the choice of name for each continent.

what does Africa really mean and how did it become the name of the black continent.

i heard the whole of the black dominated continent used to be called Ethiopia
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 11, 2015
let me google it.
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2015
try using an encyclopedia like wikipedia...
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Firefire(m): 7:57pm On Aug 11, 2015

1 Like

Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Firefire(m): 8:00pm On Aug 11, 2015
First on this list is Africa. There are many different theories as to the origin of Africa’s name. After the Romans defeated Carthage (which is in modern-day Tunisia in Northern Africa) in the third Punic War, they called their new province “Africa.” The most popular theory as to the origin of the name is that it was named for a native tribe there—the Afri, with “Africa” then being the feminine form of “Africus”, literally meaning “land of the Afri”.

An alternate theory, which has a hole in it due to when the name was first used, is that it comes from the Phoenician word “afar” which means “dust.” Put together with the Latin suffix –ica, sometimes used to denote “land”, the name could mean “a land of dust.” Given Africa’s hot, desert-like climate in the north, which is where the Romans claimed their province, the Phoenician root is considered by many to be a plausible alternative to the “Afri tribe” theory, for the origin of Africa’s name

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/the-origin-of-the-names-of-the-continents/
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by tpiander: 8:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
why do you want to know and why cant you check google or an encyclopedia?

the continents were named by the romans mostly.

info on the new world can be found on wiki or google.
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by tpiander: 8:06pm On Aug 11, 2015
Lacomus:
let me google it.

dunno why people will bring questions to nairaland instead of simply checking google.
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by tpiander: 8:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
aguiyi:
please i really need to confirm who named the continents of the world and what informed the choice of name for each continent.

what does Africa really mean and how did it become the name of the black continent.

i heard the whole of the black dominated continent used to be called Ethiopia

why don't you ask whoever told you that, where the continents came from?
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2015
tpiander:

dunno why people will bring questions to nairaland instead of simply checking google.

this is a forum, pls find out the purpose if you don't know and stop acting like we are at loggerhead
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
Firefire:
First on this list is Africa. There are many different theories as to the origin of Africa’s name. After the Romans defeated Carthage (which is in modern-day Tunisia in Northern Africa) in the third Punic War, they called their new province “Africa.” The most popular theory as to the origin of the name is that it was named for a native tribe there—the Afri, with “Africa” then being the feminine form of “Africus”, literally meaning “land of the Afri”.

An alternate theory, which has a hole in it due to when the name was first used, is that it comes from the Phoenician word “afar” which means “dust.” Put together with the Latin suffix –ica, sometimes used to denote “land”, the name could mean “a land of dust.” Given Africa’s hot, desert-like climate in the north, which is where the Romans claimed their province, the Phoenician root is considered by many to be a plausible alternative to the “Afri tribe” theory, for the origin of Africa’s name

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/the-origin-of-the-names-of-the-continents/

there are several reasons given about how Africa as a continent got its name but the other continents do not have this controversy hence my question
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
Africanus Horton (1835–1883), also known as James Beale, was a Creole African nationalist writer and an esteemed medical surgeon in the British Army from Freetown, Sierra Leone.

Africanus Horton was a surgeon, scientist, soldier, and a political thinker who worked toward African independence a century before it occurred.

Born as James Beale Horton, the son of an Igbo recaptive slave he was educated at the CMS Grammar School and at the Fourah Bay Institution (later Fourah Bay College).[1] In 1855, he received a War Office scholarship to study medicine in Great Britain. He studied at King's College London and Edinburgh University, qualifying as a medical doctor in 1859. While a student, he took the name "Africanus" as an emblem of pride in his African homeland.[2]

In his varied career, he served as a physician, an officer in the British Army, a banker, and a mining entrepreneur. In addition, he wrote a number of books and essays, the most widely remembered of which is his 1868 Vindication of the African Race, an answer to the white racist authors emerging in Europe. His writings look ahead to African self-government, anticipating many events of the 1950s and 1960s, and Horton is often seen as one of the founders of African nationalism.

He wrote a book entitled West African Countries and Peoples (1868). A crater on Mercury is named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanus_Horton
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2015
Heard it was the monkeys!!!
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 11, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipio_Africanus

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (236–183 BC), also known as Scipio the African, Scipio Africanus-Major, Scipio Africanus the Elder, and Scipio the Great[1] was a general in the Second Punic War and statesman of the Roman Republic. He was best known for defeating Hannibal at the final battle of the Second Punic War at Zama, a feat that earned him the agnomen Africanus, the nickname "the Roman Hannibal", as well as recognition as one of the finest commanders in military history. He had given a decisive display of his tactical genius before this at the Battle of Ilipa.

i learnt again that it was named after the general above.

he is the very first person to bear that name Africanus from were Africa was named
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by orunto27: 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2015
Of all only Ethiopia an USSR are meaningful. Ethiopia is in the Bible and USSR was an acronym. The rest are figments of the geographers.
Re: Who Named The Continents Of The World by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 11, 2015
seriously Africans dont know the true reason and how they got their name?

were are the historians , pls i need your input.

i need to clear my doubt.

Carthage was defeated, the name of the roman leader when it was defeated was Africanus
the entire continent was they given the name signifying the defeated one and slave?

simply because the survivals were taken as war slaves.

how true is the above please, this guy is getting me mad with his rhetoric

(1) (Reply)

The Ministerial Nominee From Enugu State / N The Biafran Brouhaha:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;; / Putiin Is Ready To Smoke Turkey Orders Russians To Come Back Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.