Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka (55067 Views)

Nigeria Has No Alternative To Buhari Now – NUPENG / NLC: Buhari Now Captive Of Forces Of Subsidy Removal, Deregulation / Is President Buhari Now Speaking In Tongues?, By Audu O. Audu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by emamos: 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2015
Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew – Soyinka.

Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has described President Muhammadu as a different man from the man he knew while he was in military uniform on the Nigerian political landscape, who is ready to make amends for his past mistakes.

Soyinka, who spoke in an interview with Zero Tolerance, a periodic publication by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), noted that Buhari has already paid some debts to the Nigerian community, describing him as a lucky man.

Soyinka noted that although Buhari has not come out openly to apologise for his wrong deeds in the past, he has nonetheless accepted the fact that he had made some mistakes.

He said: “He (Buhari) has not pleaded for forgiveness for his past, if he had done that, I might have been less ambiguous about him. But I think from my findings about him, he is a born again phenomenon. If I am wrong, well, too bad. Though I don’t believe in ‘born-againism’ but I think this may be an exception.”

The laureate also descended heavily on former President Goodluck Jonathan for trying to differentiate between stealing and corruption, saying Nigerians should have challenged him on that.

Soyinka noted that it was wrong for a president to have taken such a position on a serious issue like corruption, thereby playing down its negative impact on the nation and its people.

He said: “The media should have challenged President Jonathan to define what stealing is, when he said that stealing is not corruption. How can a public figure, an intelligent person like that, come out to tell the public that corruption is not stealing? Then you should have asked him, what then is corruption? The media should have challenged him.”

The pioneer Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, chairman, who is believed to have co-founded the Pyrates Confraternity in Nigeria, said it was wrong to lump cultism with confraternity, arguing that the two were not the same.

He said belonging to confraternities is a normal culture in colleges and not an evil cult, as wrongly portrayed by ignorant persons in Nigeria.
Soyinka said: “Everybody knows that fraternities are a normal culture in all colleges. It exists in all colleges. President Clinton was a member of a fraternity. In fact, anybody who goes to college in the United States is a member of a college fraternity. There is absolutely nothing evil or occultic about fraternity.

“But here, the media is largely responsible for fuelling the ignorance of society of the words ‘cultism’ and ‘fraternity’. This is a disservice and I have said it again and again. There are evil cults, whose members must prove themselves by going to rape. There are others whose entry is to slash or eat somebody or rob; it has nothing to do with college fraternity.

“The media owes the responsibility to constantly tell the public the truth. But they go on and children grow up, believing that college fraternity is Satanic, demonic and this is wrong.”

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/08/buhari-now-different-man-knew-soyinka/

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Lattop(m): 12:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
Noted'"

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Jrush(m): 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2015
believe it or not Baba will not change...

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2015
lol
Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by obrian(m): 1:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
Noble words from a Nobel Laureate

60 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Swaggzkid: 1:02pm On Aug 12, 2015
He should get out *

Am not surprised by his words ** he was scamed by apc

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by kaypound(m): 1:05pm On Aug 12, 2015
what do you need his apology for.....
I believe his redeemed image today and him trying put Nigeria back on the map is enough apology for the mistakes he made in the past.

112 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by doublewisdom: 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2015
Typical.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by yrret: 1:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
And then...
Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Cope1(m): 1:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
Ok
Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by slimfit1(m): 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2015
kaypound:
what do you need his apology for.....
I believe his redeemed image today and him trying put Nigeria back on the map is enough apology for the remistakes he made in the past.

Buhari doesn't owe anyone any apology

55 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by kaypound(m): 1:57pm On Aug 12, 2015
slimfit1:

Buhari doesn't whole anyone any apology
sir, its owe not whole.

70 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by jlinkd78(m): 2:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
slimfit1:

Buhari doesn't whole anyone any apology
'owe' I know but this ur 'whole' I fear

34 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
Me too

Lol

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2015
Swaggzkid:
He should get out *

Am not surprised by his words ** he was scamed by apc
to do what? Did he campaign for Buhari ni abi he was appointed a minister?

FYI, upgraded brains are for sale for cheap on Jumia...

34 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by jlinkd78(m): 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2015
kaypound:

sir, its owe not whole.
just seeing u v already correctd him. Just perplexed at d level of grammatical errors in just this post startd by d Op himself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Swaggzkid: 2:42pm On Aug 12, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
to do what? Did he campaign for Buhari ni abi he was appointed a minister?

FYI, upgraded brains are for sale for cheap on Jumia...

Your a fool I shouldn't be talking politics with someone of your calibre, you still have a fish brain*

For your information wole soyinka campaigned for buhari, ok? Try and always buy newspaper to read and digest instead of sitting here to digest half baked news on nairaland*!

Sorry if your offended by my comment* OneLove sir grin

End of discussion

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
soyinka, as a postgraduate, I get disappointed in you each day.
You have become a full fledged politician, and I suspect you have always been.
Soyinka, you are far from being the intelligent man I thought you were.
For your information, soyinka, the word corruption doesn't have a universal meaning. Indeed to heterosexuals, homosexuality is corruption, to passionate musicians singing with the help of electronics is corruption, to people against alcool, drinking alcool is corruption. And depending on your religious beliefs, corruption can mean different things. For muslims, eating porc is corruption, speaking ill of mohamed is corruption, not being a muslim is corruption. For christians not being a monotheist is corruption, not going to church is corruption. for atheists being religious is corruption. Also when a thief is being arraigned by the police for stealing an orange, nobody considers that thief a corrupt man. When someone rubs a bank and steals large sums of money, nobody calls him corrupt. I expected a university professor to know all this. How dissappointed I am in soyinka who I thought was a world citizen and an intelligent man.

80 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
I used to be a great fan of this guy soyinka, but now he has shown his true face: that of deceipt.
When soyinka says this about buhari "he is a born again phenomenon". What I want to ask him is where is your proof ?
Each time people underline buhari's tribalism attitude and his dictatorial ways, buhari's supporters say that we should give him more time before concluding, whereas, someone would just come out of nowhere and categorically say that buhari is a born again ! Soyinka was one of the people who called buhari a terrible dictator as bad as sani abacha, soyinka said that in the 2011 electtions. And shamelessly soyinka is singing another music now. Soyinka, it is obvious that either old age is playing tricks on you, either you get money to say the things you say.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 12, 2015
Soyinka is playing with the brains of gullible and unsuspecting nigerians. In a more developped country, these kinds of crooked statements like "born again" can not even be sold to children above 13. But frankly speaking, most nigerians are quite unintelligent and the old soyinka can sell them poo and contradict himself as much as he wants.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by dammylohlah: 3:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
How can a public figure, an intelligent person like that, come out to tell the public that corruption is not stealing? Then you should have asked him, what then is corruption? The media should have challenged him.”

Uniport certificate is questionable. I cant employ any uniport graduate in my company.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
dammylohlah:
How can a public figure, an intelligent person like that, come out to tell the public that corruption is not stealing? Then you should have asked him, what then is corruption? The media should have challenged him.”

Uniport certificate is questionable. I cant employ any uniport graduate in my company.
The person in fault here is soyinka, just reading what I wrote will educate you well enough. It is people who studied litterature whom you should not have in high regards, not people who got their degrees from Uniport.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by SLIDEwaxie(m): 3:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
Swaggzkid:

Your a fool I shouldn't be talking politics with someone of your calibre, you still have a fish brain*

For your information wole soyinka campaigned for buhari, ok? Try and always buy newspaper to read and digest instead of sitting here to digest half baked news on nairaland*!

Sorry if your offended by my comment* OneLove sir grin

End of discussion
offended ke? You are merely testing your popularity.

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Nobody: 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
THIS NOBEL LAUREATE LONG HEAD JUST TALKING NOBLE NONSENSE!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by bunmioguns(m): 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2015
undecided
Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Icecomrade: 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
Why would Buhari not be a different man

When he can no longer wear those Khaki that made him feel like a Terror with Babariga that makes him feel less powerful.

When he no longer lords over Tribunals with civil processes to contend with.

When he no longer lords over Supreme Military council but sitting at the Mercy of the National Assembly.

When his statements are no longer decrees and edits but mere statements which can only be considered when it is packaged by scholars on his pay list and forwarded to the National Assembly for consideration.

When he can't bundle his enemies and throw them into jail without due process and litigation hanging over his neck.

What's Special about Wole Soyinka's statement? That guy is idle. Since he lost touch of writing, he has been ranting around like an Akwuya

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by NaLaugh: 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
I see
Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Smartjeezy(m): 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
Story for the Gods...Once a soldier is always a soldier.Only time will tell.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by AmakaDNB(f): 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
ok
Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
undecided what's this Wine connoseur saying? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Now Different From The Man I Knew.....soyinka by sigiyaya(m): 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
For me stealing is not corruption till OBJ, TINUBU, AMAECHI and even ATIKU are all are probe by PMB period undecided undecided undecided undecided

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

June 12, 1993 Election Results By States (Photos) / Lagos Is Yoruba State And Yoruba Land- Yul Edochie / #EndSARS: Femi Adesina Blames Churches, Mosques

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.