Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,116 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed (3700 Views)

Cynicism Trails Ogoni Cleanup After Ceremonial Flag Off / Ogoni Clean-Up Will Take 30 Years To Complete / Buhari Orders Fast-track Environmental Clean-up Of Ogoniland - PM News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Dlionsheart: 3:46pm On Aug 14, 2015
By Ogeco Ogeco

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/…/buhari-ogoni-fast-track-o…

The Ogoni people on Thursday, August 13, 2015 began the Ogoni Springtime – an unlimited season of resentment to end injustice against the Ogoni people in Nigeria.

President Muhammadu Buhari had on Wednesday, August 5, 2015 approved several actions to fast-track the long delayed implementation of the United Nations Environmental Programme Report on the environmental restoration of Ogoniland.

He had said the actions approved were based on recommendations to him by the Executive Director of UNEP, the UNEP Special Representative for Ogoniland, permanent secretaries of the Federal Ministries of Environment and Petroleum Resources, and others, include the amendment of the official gazette establishing the Hydrocarbon.

Now, President of Ogoni Central Indigenous Authority, OCIA, Dr. Goodluck Diigbo wants the Buhari administration to show proof by publishing the recommendations and names of the signatories.

Diigbo said “it is dangerous to mask domestic abuse of powers, with emblems of foreign governments, authorities and institutions.”

“I have found out that there were no new recommendations, other than the Ogoni UNEP Report. I challenge President Buhari to publish the new recommendations so that we can see the content and names of the signatories, said Diigbo.

He said this in a statement to mark the “Ogoni Springtime launching, which would involve a series of actions to end the threat against extinction of the Ogoni people in southern Nigeria.

He further revealed: “I sourced for information below and above the UNEP Executive Director. My sources said they were not aware of the involvement of the UNEP Executive Director in a behind the scene recommendations, meant to truncate the official UNEP Mission Report.”

Continuing he said: “Already some form of admission [confession] has been made by certain individuals as off-record for “certain journalists” in Port Harcourt. They claimed that they lobbied the Buhari regime and even drafted the press release that turned into Fast-track actions for the implementation of the Ogoni UNEP Report. According to them, the idea was to counter a suspicion that Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State was planning a unilateral implementation to “outsmart Buhari” through integration of some aspects of the UNEP Report into Rivers State administration reconstruction agenda.”

On Sunday, August 9, 2015, he had addressed OCIA Emergency General Leadership Session at Birabi Memorial Grammar School, BMGS. “I made it clear that I had no such understanding with Wike. However, I said, if he had contemplated doing so, it would not have discarded the UNEP report, or shifted responsibility from polluters,” he said.

The Ogoni Springtime has been planned to enforce the Ogoni demand for a joint stakeholders’ review of the Ogoniland UNEP Report, as precondition for its implementation.

In an interview, he referenced a report by Channels Television, updated August 11, 2015, in which “Shell emphasized that in line with the UNEP position, treating the problem of environmental pollution in Ogoni land merely as a technical clean-up exercise is what would result in failure.”

Diigbo said the acknowledgment by Shell of potential implementation failure, meant joint review was unavoidable to ensure comprehensive treatment of UNEP recommendations on Ogoni land, which, he pointed out, President Buhari’s unilateral re-writing of the Report, jeopardizes.

He said, Shell understood the issues, which President Buhari may yet to find out. So, Shell reacted to a well-informed position taken by Amnesty International, saying “the President’s initiative would fail and the Ogoni people would continue to suffer, as long as Shell fails to change its method of oil spill clean-up.”

“In a sense, Amnesty International, like others, can easily see through the manipulative tactics; the exploitation of ignorance that undermines justice to achieve ethnic, partisan, and corporate gains,” Diigbo said.

He remarked that, “even though Shell, seems bent upon playing on words; alongside other stakeholders, Shell would want to subscribe to “clarity rules” as an underlying due process requirements, to avoid potential insecurity, conflicts and bloodshed, in course of implementation.”

“Ogoni has sacrificed so much for Nigeria. The continual injustice, dirty ethnic and partisan politics on Ogoni affairs will set the sun on Nigeria,” Diigbo

Signed by: Hon Dum Ade John Budam
For Dr. Goodluck Diigbo President, Ogoni Central Indigenous Authority

OGONI SPRINGTIME BEGINS IN NIGERIA
The Ogoni Springtime, an indefinite season of resentment and protests to end injustice against the Ogoni people in southern Nigeria. It began today, August 13, 2015 in Bori, the cultural and political capital of the Ogoni people. The resentment and protests will spread throughout the Ogoni Nation, involving civil disobedience and waves of popular actions to occupy and reclaim control over Ogoniland.

The Ogoni Springtime has been provoked by the dirty ethnic and partisan handling of the UNEP Ogoni Report by President Buhari administration. Today’s nonviolent march was led by eight provincial governors, leaders of Ogoni National Legislative Assembly, officers of the Ogoni Customary Court System, and elected leaders of district and village councils. Participants joined from the provinces of Bori, Babbe, Ban Ogoni, Eleme, Gokana, Ken Khana, Nyokhana, and Tai. The Ogoni organized system at all levels will be free to embark on protests from time to time with focus on ending injustice against the people.

In a statement to put Nigeria on Notice, President of the Ogoni Central Indigenous Authority, OCIA, Dr. Goodluck Diigbo has called on President Buhari to reverse his recent unilateral orders meant to override the Ogoniland Environmental Assessment Study that was issued by the United Nations Environmental Programme on August 11, 2011. In order to prevent an aggravation of the situation, he called for immediate dialogue. However, Diigbo said all protests will remain nonviolent, unless the Ogoni people are compelled to act in self-defence within the framework of international law.
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by hardeniji(m): 3:47pm On Aug 14, 2015
opeeee o I made FTTC ( FIRST TEN TO COMMENT)
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Happiness87(f): 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2015
lol

masturbators exposed!!

ApC=lying liars

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by shogz89: 3:50pm On Aug 14, 2015
.. I don't even understand what's there,, all am seeing is ogoni springtime.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 14, 2015
hardeniji:
baby Adult. Growup
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by boujaye: 3:52pm On Aug 14, 2015
hardeniji:
send your account details for plenty dollars grin
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 14, 2015
shogz89:
anoda adult baby booking space
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by gsparks01(m): 3:55pm On Aug 14, 2015
ppl shouting FTC should be banned
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Dlionsheart: 3:58pm On Aug 14, 2015
hardeniji:

Clap for yourself
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by truefact: 3:59pm On Aug 14, 2015
I thought they said their Hausa masters and yorubas have liberated them from Igbos....ogogoro baboons

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by shogz89: 4:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
neurologist:
anoda adult baby booking space
lol.. My keypad hook grin grin grin.. Make I go comment now
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Dlionsheart: 4:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
Happiness87:
lol

masturbators exposed!!

ApC=lying liars

But why will someone lie or play politics with such sensitive issue about a minority tribe in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by MizMyColi(f): 4:05pm On Aug 14, 2015
This is serious.

Perchance, is Mr Diigbo insinuating that President Muhamadu Buhari is a conniving, lying artist?

This is unacceptable.

Mr President, please bring forth proof, Mr Diigbo is clearly oblivious of your sainthood.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by omenka(m): 4:06pm On Aug 14, 2015
Dlionsheart:

[s]By Ogeco Ogeco

The Ogoni people on Thursday, August 13, 2015 began the Ogoni Springtime – an unlimited season of resentment to end injustice against the Ogoni people in Nigeria.

President Muhammadu Buhari had on Wednesday, August 5, 2015 approved several actions to fast-track the long delayed implementation of the United Nations Environmental Programme Report on the environmental restoration of Ogoniland.

He had said the actions approved were based on recommendations to him by the Executive Director of UNEP, the UNEP Special Representative for Ogoniland, permanent secretaries of the Federal Ministries of Environment and Petroleum Resources, and others, include the amendment of the official gazette establishing the Hydrocarbon.

Now, President of Ogoni Central Indigenous Authority, OCIA, Dr. Goodluck Diigbo wants the Buhari administration to show proof by publishing the recommendations and names of the signatories.

Diigbo said “it is dangerous to mask domestic abuse of powers, with emblems of foreign governments, authorities and institutions.”

“I have found out that there were no new recommendations, other than the Ogoni UNEP Report. I challenge President Buhari to publish the new recommendations so that we can see the content and names of the signatories, said Diigbo.

He said this in a statement to mark the “Ogoni Springtime launching, which would involve a series of actions to end the threat against extinction of the Ogoni people in southern Nigeria.

He further revealed: “I sourced for information below and above the UNEP Executive Director. My sources said they were not aware of the involvement of the UNEP Executive Director in a behind the scene recommendations, meant to truncate the official UNEP Mission Report.”

Continuing he said: “Already some form of admission [confession] has been made by certain individuals as off-record for “certain journalists” in Port Harcourt. They claimed that they lobbied the Buhari regime and even drafted the press release that turned into Fast-track actions for the implementation of the Ogoni UNEP Report. According to them, the idea was to counter a suspicion that Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State was planning a unilateral implementation to “outsmart Buhari” through integration of some aspects of the UNEP Report into Rivers State administration reconstruction agenda.”

On Sunday, August 9, 2015, he had addressed OCIA Emergency General Leadership Session at Birabi Memorial Grammar School, BMGS. “I made it clear that I had no such understanding with Wike. However, I said, if he had contemplated doing so, it would not have discarded the UNEP report, or shifted responsibility from polluters,” he said.

The Ogoni Springtime has been planned to enforce the Ogoni demand for a joint stakeholders’ review of the Ogoniland UNEP Report, as precondition for its implementation.

In an interview, he referenced a report by Channels Television, updated August 11, 2015, in which “Shell emphasized that in line with the UNEP position, treating the problem of environmental pollution in Ogoni land merely as a technical clean-up exercise is what would result in failure.”

Diigbo said the acknowledgment by Shell of potential implementation failure, meant joint review was unavoidable to ensure comprehensive treatment of UNEP recommendations on Ogoni land, which, he pointed out, President Buhari’s unilateral re-writing of the Report, jeopardizes.

He said, Shell understood the issues, which President Buhari may yet to find out. So, Shell reacted to a well-informed position taken by Amnesty International, saying “the President’s initiative would fail and the Ogoni people would continue to suffer, as long as Shell fails to change its method of oil spill clean-up.”

“In a sense, Amnesty International, like others, can easily see through the manipulative tactics; the exploitation of ignorance that undermines justice to achieve ethnic, partisan, and corporate gains,” Diigbo said.

He remarked that, “even though Shell, seems bent upon playing on words; alongside other stakeholders, Shell would want to subscribe to “clarity rules” as an underlying due process requirements, to avoid potential insecurity, conflicts and bloodshed, in course of implementation.”

“Ogoni has sacrificed so much for Nigeria. The continual injustice, dirty ethnic and partisan politics on Ogoni affairs will set the sun on Nigeria,” Diigbo

Signed by: Hon Dum Ade John Budam
For Dr. Goodluck Diigbo President, Ogoni Central Indigenous Authority

OGONI SPRINGTIME BEGINS IN NIGERIA
The Ogoni Springtime, an indefinite season of resentment and protests to end injustice against the Ogoni people in southern Nigeria. It began today, August 13, 2015 in Bori, the cultural and political capital of the Ogoni people. The resentment and protests will spread throughout the Ogoni Nation, involving civil disobedience and waves of popular actions to occupy and reclaim control over Ogoniland.

The Ogoni Springtime has been provoked by the dirty ethnic and partisan handling of the UNEP Ogoni Report by President Buhari administration. Today’s nonviolent march was led by eight provincial governors, leaders of Ogoni National Legislative Assembly, officers of the Ogoni Customary Court System, and elected leaders of district and village councils. Participants joined from the provinces of Bori, Babbe, Ban Ogoni, Eleme, Gokana, Ken Khana, Nyokhana, and Tai. The Ogoni organized system at all levels will be free to embark on protests from time to time with focus on ending injustice against the people.

In a statement to put Nigeria on Notice, President of the Ogoni Central Indigenous Authority, OCIA, Dr. Goodluck Diigbo has called on President Buhari to reverse his recent unilateral orders meant to override the Ogoniland Environmental Assessment Study that was issued by the United Nations Environmental Programme on August 11, 2011. In order to prevent an aggravation of the situation, he called for immediate dialogue. However, Diigbo said all protests will remain nonviolent, unless the Ogoni people are compelled to act in self-defence within the framework of international law.
[/s]

This has gotta be the most useless wailer I've ever seen. cheesy

Please someone should tell the pleb it doesn't matter whether it is to neutralize someone or not- all that matters is that their land would be cleaned up after several years of neglect of the recommendation. Ogoni people themselves are ecstatic about the prospect of implementing the UNEP report and that is all that matters.

Whoever doesn't wanna live in a clean environment can go dwell in a pigery in Haiti.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by shaboti: 4:07pm On Aug 14, 2015
MizMyColi:
This is serious.

Perchance, is Mr Diigbo insinuating that President Muhamadu Buhari is a conniving, lying artist?

This is unacceptable.

Mr President, please bring forth proof, Mr Diigbo is clearly oblivious of your sainthood.
I love your sarcastic way of communicating
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Happiness87(f): 4:11pm On Aug 14, 2015
Dlionsheart:

But why will someone lie or play politics with such sensitive issue about a minority tribe in Nigeria
in as much as It fools the heart of many to their favour.

Nigerians can be so gullible esp those licking Tinubu's ass

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by MizMyColi(f): 4:11pm On Aug 14, 2015
Dlionsheart:

The Ogonis might be a minority ethnos, but they are a majority, considering that the oyel with which the oligarchs and whomever enrich themselves is obtained from their land.

It is crassly dumbfounding that these people toy with the lives and livelihood of the supposedly less privileged, and still have the effrontery to dupe them in whatever form it comes!

An uprising is coming, it will be threefold.

This issue had better be addressed, because if this people go to the extreme, I will not be among those who will cry wolf.

Unlike Boko Haram who kill for nonsensical to non-existent reasons, these ones are being pushed to the wall.

He that has ears, let him hear.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by omenka(m): 4:13pm On Aug 14, 2015
This thread is a perfect rendevouz lounge for Wailing Wailers, children of anger, imps, daughters of Jezebel and sons of Baal. Watch them swarm to this spot to quench their thirst for the absurd since the past few days have seen them silenced and relegated to absolute nothingness.

That one in particular, she .... okay, let me put a pause here. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Dlionsheart: 4:24pm On Aug 14, 2015
omenka:
This has gotta be the most useless wailer I've ever seen. cheesy

Please someone should tell the pleb it doesn't matter whether it is to neutralize someone or not- all that matters is that their land would be cleaned up after several years of neglect of the recommendation. Ogoni people themselves are ecstatic about the prospect of implementing the UNEP report and that is all that matters.

Whoever doesn't wanna live in a clean environment can go dwell in a pigery in Haiti.

[b]In an interview, he referenced a report by Channels Television, updated August 11, 2015, in which “Shell emphasized that in line with the UNEP position, treating the problem of environmental pollution in Ogoni land merely as a technical clean-up exercise is what would result in failure.”

Diigbo said the acknowledgment by Shell of potential implementation failure, meant joint review was unavoidable to ensure comprehensive treatment of UNEP recommendations in Ogoni land, which, he pointed out, President Buhari’s unilateral re-writing of the Report, jeopardizes.

[/b]Now the big question is why will Buhari not implement the full UNEP report in Ogoniland??

Mind you, there is no smoke without fire

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by omenka(m): 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2015
Dlionsheart:

Diigbo said the acknowledgment by Shell of potential implementation failure, meant joint review was unavoidable to ensure comprehensive treatment of UNEP recommendations in Ogoni land, which, he pointed out, President Buhari’s unilateral re-writing of the Report, jeopardizes.

[/b]Now the big question is why will Buhari not implement the full UNEP report in Ogoniland??

Mind you, there is no smoke without fire
And who told you there can't be smoke without fire There are countless number of ways you can generate smoke without fire- using liquid Nitrogen for instance. cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Dlionsheart: 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2015
omenka:
And who told you there can't be smoke without fire There are countless number of ways you can generate smoke without fire- using liquid Nitrogen for instance. cheesycheesy

Oh!
Now I understand where you are coming from: enjoying yourself on a very sensitive matter. Maybe because it didn't involve your tribe.
Happy weekend!!!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by atlwireles: 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2015
Buhari orders are for his sai chanters alone, when Shell, the Ogonis and NNPC resolve all the issues currently on the table, the cleaning process will begin. No government orders can change these facts.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by anigbajumo(m): 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2015
Happiness87:
lol

masturbators exposed!!

ApC=lying liars

U again?

Continue...
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Happiness87(f): 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2015
anigbajumo:

U again?

Continue...

CMD://<<>>initiate scanning <<>>
^^^^ scanning ^^^…… ……………^^^^^

…masturbator /indomie brain detected ……… *******……………………
………………………………^^^^^

… … … … tinubu's ass licker detected … … …

………… liar Mohammed's grand son detected … … … …

<<<<<<3 viruses detected >>>>>>

CMD:// scanning complete ……100%

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by likila: 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2015
Idi Amin Buhari is walking naked in the market place.
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by NavierStokes(m): 5:25pm On Aug 14, 2015
Can the "empty treasury" afford to release NNPC's share of the cleanup money, amounting to about 550million USD. Those shouting Buhari has ordered should have a rethink. Remediation is not by mere ordering, its by following through with actions measurable in terms of cash.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by Dlionsheart: 5:25pm On Aug 14, 2015
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE OGONI PEOPLE:

EARLY HISTORY

Archaeological and linguistic evidence suggest the Ogoni have inhabited the Niger Delta for more than 500 years. They established an organized social system under which men and women of courage and ability enjoyed special status.

Although Ogoniland lay on the slave route from the hinterland to the coastal slave market, there is little evidence of Ogoni people being taken as a slave.

When other forms of trade were introduced into the region in the second half of the 19th century, weapons were purchased and wars became the order of the day. After the Berlin Treaty of 1885, Nigeria came under British colonial rule, but it was not until 1901 that British forces arrived in Ogoniland. The Ogoni people known for their fierce independence launched a strong resistance against this intrusion into their territory by the British forces, which lasted for more than a decade before they were finally subjugated in 1914 by the British forces. The British saw Nigeria in terms of three major ethnic groups: the Hausa-Fulani, the Yoruba and the Igbo, thereby ignoring more then 250 smaller peoples, including the Ogoni. The Ogoni were regarded with contempt by all other groups in the Delta region and were often positioned at the bottom of the social ladder.

HISTORY OF THE CONFLICT

Shell Oil company, began oil exploitation in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria in 1956 and there is a long history of their collaboration with the Nigerian government to quell popular opposition to its presence in the region. It became evident that for the Ogoni, who live in this region the environmental and social costs of oil exploitation would be painfully high.

Beginning December 1992, the people of Ogoni issued a thirty-day demand notice to Shell which raised the alarm bell of an ensuing struggle between the company and the Ogoni people. This demand notice was followed almost immediately by series of non-violent activities including the Ogoni protest of January 4th 1993 in what was regarded as the Ogoni Day in commemoration of the declaration of 1993 as the International Year of the world’s Indigenous People.

This singular non-violent mammoth protest in which an estimated three hundred thousand Ogoni people participated was indeed a novel event with striking impacts. It indeed showed that the Ogoni people have come of age and imbued the struggle with a greater level of seriousness and intensity on both sides. This event and other subsequent non-violent passive resistance activities such as the holding of successful vigil nights across Ogoni nation and the launch of a survival fund sent panic signals to the Nigerian authorities and the oil company, Shell.

In the light of the forgoing developments, by the first quarter of 1993, Shell withdrew from Ogoniland, citing the hostile attitude of the Ogoni community to the company’s activities. Around April of the same year, Shell through its contractor went back under the protection of the Nigerian military to construct an oil pipeline. This was met with peaceful protests by Ogoni women whose farmlands were to be traversed by the pipelines leading to the destruction of their crops without any compensation. Rather than deal with the issues that had been raised by the women, the military that was hired by Shell opened gunfire on the protesting women.

Protests marches were organized all over Ogoniland in repudiation of the above incident and the military responded with highhandedness. This was to become the standard response of the government in the ensuing months. Several conflicts reportedly sponsored by the government occurred between July 1993 and April 1994 between Ogoni people and her neighbors all in the attempt to wear the Ogoni people down and box them into submission. Available evidence, including the sophisticated weaponry that was used by the adversaries of the Ogoni, indicate that governmental authorities were probably behind these supposedly "ethnic conflicts".

Following the third of such conflict, in April 1994, a huge military operation was launched by the government, supposedly to restore order, but which in fact was aimed at destroying Ogoni lives and properties in the Afam area of Ogoni.

On May 21, 1994, four Ogoni leaders were murdered in Gokana Kingdom, reportedly by angry youths. Ken Saro-Wiwa, Ledum Mitee and a number of other MOSOP leaders were arrested and accused of involvement in the murders. The day after the murders, the Internal Security Task Force, a military unit set up especially to "restore order" in Ogoniland, under command of Lt. Col Okuntimo, stormed into Ogoniland raiding, burning and looting villages. While thousands of Ogoni villagers took refuge in the bush, hundreds were detained and tortured. Many Ogoni died in the weeks that followed. It is an enduring record of the non violent nature of the Ogoni struggle that in all these attacks and in spite thereof, there is no single incident of any reprisal attack on any of the repressing troops.

In February 1995, after eight months of being detained without official charges, Ken Saro-Wiwa and the other Ogoni leaders were brought before a special tribunal, established by the military government. While in detention, the accused were often denied access to lawyers, medical care and family members. Independent international observers expressed their deep doubts about the fairness of the trial in protest of the Tribunal’s failure to meet even Nigeria’s own standards of fairness. On October 31, 1995, Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight other Ogoni were sentenced to death by the Special Tribunal. In blatant defiance of numerous appeals by the international community, the well-known Nigerian writer and poet, Ken Saro-Wiwa and his eight Ogoni colleagues were executed on Friday, November 10, 1995.

In March 1996, non-partisan elections were held in Nigeria to fill all local government seats with elected civilian Chairs and Councilors. It was widely reported that all persons associated with MOSOP were prevented from participation, and those who presented themselves were either beaten or detained and later disqualified.

By June, 1998, the maximum dictator, General Sani Abacha under whose watch thousands of Ogoni people perished eventually died in mysterious circumstances. This ushered in a new attempt at democratic engagement and electoral processes. The electoral process ushered in Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, himself a former prisoner on death row under the late maximum dictator as the new head of state. The Ogoni people had hoped that with his election, a new era marked by respect for human rights and commitment to the ideals of democracy and good governance would be entrenched in the polity. This was not to be as the earlier signs of a democratic posturing by the administration soon evaporated giving way to a civilian dictatorship which in its twilight was already planning to tamper with the constitution to elongate his tenure in office.

In the first months of 2001, MOSOP participated at the Oputa Human Rights Investigation Panel hearings in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. MOSOP called on the Nigerian military to accept responsibility for grave human rights violations by its officer corps against the Ogoni, committed between 1994 and 1998. Senior officers appearing for the Oputa Panel played down and even denied any involvement in the arbitrary shootings, rapes, assaults and detentions. These testimonies, thus, seem to be nothing less than a disgrace to the whole purpose of the Panel; to bring justice to the victims of these human rights violations.
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by anigbajumo(m): 5:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
Happiness87:
……… …^^^^ scanning ^^^…… …masturbator /indomie brain detected ……… *******#

The chief wailers keep on wailing till jesus come,in oritsha femi voice "Double whala 4 d*** body"
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by hoobs(m): 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2015
truefact:
I thought they said their Hausa masters and yorubas have liberated them from Igbos....ogogoro baboons
dy never said that!,itz yellowbars that did

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by lordtech(m): 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2015
Ok
Re: Buhari Ogoni: Fast Track Orders Exposed by 9ousky: 6:48pm On Aug 14, 2015
But why Ar some people like this... I watched today episode of special report on channels tv and it focused solely on the implementation of the UNEP report on Ogoni land, and it was so informative and shows some other things people do not understand.. I watched people in d area bn interview especially their supreme council of traditional rulers in d area and others... I was able to know DAT d complete cleaning up of d region will take up to 30 yrs. There Ar lot of things one can gain from d report.I can say from what I watched the people were really happy & commending PMB.At d same time dey really don't want disappointment but they Ar ready to work with him and give him d benefit of doubt. I pray PMB succeed in the quest of implementing d report....

(1) (2) (Reply)

LADIES' OPINIONS: Are You More Attracted To Guys With Beards Than Shaven Ones? / This New Photo Of President Buhari And VP Osinbajo Is Really Nice! / Why Nigerians Hate Igbos, By Chinua Achebe. IBS ALART.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.