Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,672 members, 7,955,461 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:34 AM

I Am In NIGERIA - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Am In NIGERIA (2684 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am In NIGERIA by Onegai(f): 9:23pm On Aug 17, 2015
kaboninc:

1 zillion likes!

Please where can I get to learn how to play that juice box (violin)?

Depends. Where are you located? MFM headquarters in Yaba have their orchestra there and offer classes cheaply and even free at times (I respect them for the opportunities they offer disadvantaged kids and they train their best players in SA and MUSON). Some other places do as well but learn the basics there for now. I'm not a member of their church but I don't recall they ever turned away anybody and they never asked you to join their church or coerce you into anything.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am In NIGERIA by kaboninc(m): 9:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
Onegai:

Depends. Where are you located? MFM headquarters in Yaba have their orchestra there and offer classes cheaply and even free at times (I respect them for the opportunities they offer disadvantaged kids and they train their best players in SA and MUSON). Some other places do as well but learn the basics there for now. I'm not a member of their church but I don't recall they ever turned away anybody and they never asked you to join their church or coerce you into anything.

Thanks. My place is not that far from Yaba. Will get in touch.

I love that thing. Listened to one chap play one of these old school music in a reality music competition.

1 Like

Re: I Am In NIGERIA by kaboninc(m): 9:41pm On Aug 17, 2015
Onegai:

Find time. See, my brother came out an Engineer with many qualifications, a first class and best graduating student award plus IT experience. His company still had to train him. And a lot of what he learned were practical applications of theories (he and I taking time to visit Hoover Dam taught me more about Fluid Mechanics than all those awful classes with lecturers who were just there with vex in their hearts).

Money can't make anyone happy (trust me, I know). My dad had money and decided to develop some of his properties. One of them was so big we nicknamed it "the MacMansion" grin after importing all the expensive marble from Italy, paying a great architect and no expense spared, my poor father had a heart attack and died in one of the properties whilst he was inspecting it. He never lived in his MacMansion. He was working too hard to relax.

I know someone who took up golf for relaxing. He has gotten so many government contracts because of whom he meets playing golf. Meanwhile, had he gone to their office to introduce himself and drop a proposal, he would have never heard back from them.

Look at the wealthy, once they reach a certain level, they change their social circle and activities because Networking and smart work is the best way to success.

I tell you, you took the words out of my mouth. All is left for me now is to put it into action. We complain that 'na connection dey land person for job' but very few know where to meet with those who have the connection.

Just a hobby can get you a seat at the King's table while millions justle for the same opportunity.

1 Like

Re: I Am In NIGERIA by bigfrancis21: 8:29pm On Aug 18, 2015
cococandy:
Some oyibo dwellers are also guilty of this.

They are caught up in the fast life of making money and seem to have time for nothing else. I hear some countries are beginning to make family vacation mandatory for everyone as they've seen that families that take vacations together often have less divorce rates.

I know I was raised in NIGERIA but I didn't grow up with that mindset. I must confess some of my friends thought me weird and some would blame my too much reading as the culprit.

"What do you love flowers for? You wan chop am? You be goat?" grin

You have a point. The thing is Nigeria and america have quite different cultures and set of things they lay emphasis on. I find Americans very sensitive and emotional. Interacting or talking with them is almost as talking to children where you find yourself having to explain every word, action and mannerism of yours. Nigerians, on the other hand, have very tough skin and it really takes a lot to get a Nigerian to cry, especially those born and raised in Nigeria. The culture and type of environment Nigerians grow up in make them develop that strong-skin quality in them.

There are Nigerians who observe the little things of life, just as there are Americans who do the same too. There are also Nigerians and Americans who are very busy to stop and notice the little things of life. I wouldn't say that Americans are more apt at noticing the little things of life than Nigerians based on my life experience here so far.

2 Likes

Re: I Am In NIGERIA by LordReed(m): 12:05pm On Aug 19, 2015
netotse:
@onegai et al
how do you balance work and life? there's soooo much to learn professionally if you want to be any good at what you do, that makes it easy for you to tell yourself why bother with all these "frivolities" when I can read XXXX and be better positioned for that new job or something like that.

I'd skip anything that has to do with leisure in a heartbeat(unless the missus or my friends were involved) for something that I think would position me better when it comes to achieving my goals. Of course this has its negative sides(tons sef).

I know there has to be a balance but I just can't seem to find it for myself tongue grin cheesy,

Seeing as you don't want leisure I am not sure what you expect to be told. You obviously can make time if you wish but you don't so it's all on you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Men These Days Shy Away From ......... / How Do U Refer To Ur Childs Genital Organ When You Talk To Them. / Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.