Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,871 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. (28045 Views)

Lady Who Just Got A Job Reveals What Happens To Her Each Time She Gets Home / I Got A Job Two Months After Service. / I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by TheBestGovernor: 3:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:
It is about 5 years I completed my NYSC here in Lagos and since then I have been so uncomfortable with my life. I studied Physics & Electronics and Master’s degree from State and Federal institutions. I have been teaching Physics, Mathematics, Further Maths, and Chemistry from private home teaching to private schools to sustain myself since 2012. It has never being easy but as a Christian I keep my hope in God. I have spent a lot of money on attending conferences, travelling, tests, interviews, and scholarship applications for Ph.D abroad.

Now, I am to resume work in an engineering firm as a Technical/Product sales engineer with a car next month. Same day, a school offers to employ me as further maths subject teacher with a self-contained accommodation. The confusion now is that the school offers 80k/month while the sales job is 60k/month plus commission on each sale. My highest pay so far per month is 32k.

Dear Moderator, I'll be grateful if my post is on the front page.

I will appreciate your contributions. Thanks a lot.

Please go for the sales engineering Job. All engineering related jobs give better opportunity for future offers.

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by bellabello(m): 3:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
Mr man go for sales manager it will help you develop business strategies and meet different people from there you can achieve your goal. But teaching will end up with nothing and the end of your services they will release you as free agent like victor vades

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by 400billionman: 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
Pidggin:
Take the teaching job, you will save on transport, and you can grow from there.

Avoiding risks is the surest way to poverty.

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by gabriel212: 3:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:
It is about 5 years I completed my NYSC here in Lagos and since then I have been so uncomfortable with my life. I studied Physics & Electronics and Master’s degree from State and Federal institutions. I have been teaching Physics, Mathematics, Further Maths, and Chemistry from private home teaching to private schools to sustain myself since 2012. It has never being easy but as a Christian I keep my hope in God. I have spent a lot of money on attending conferences, travelling, tests, interviews, and scholarship applications for Ph.D abroad.

Now, I am to resume work in an engineering firm as a Technical/Product sales engineer with a car next month. Same day, a school offers to employ me as further maths subject teacher with a self-contained accommodation. The confusion now is that the school offers 80k/month while the sales job is 60k/month plus commission on each sale. My highest pay so far per month is 32k.

There are 2 things involved in it
1. As a marketer, you will have to work around a target and your job is on the line unless you meet up with sale but, you have the chance to meet with the outside world, relate and be exposed to the happening in the Engineering world, improved your work experience and this will boost your chances of getting a better job. in addition, the car/motor you mentioned is just to drive you for the delivery of the goods and some movement around for marketing and not that it is specifically made for you.
2. The school has a higher pay but will they maintain the salary during holiday?
what is your working hour( will ther be extra coaching classes)? will your apartment be withing the school premises/the proprietress premises( if not you are not independent), does the scchool has the capacity to pay your salary at as when due?
The choice is yours to decide!
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by 400billionman: 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2015
ladyF:
Its not all about the money. What's ur preferred career line, think long term

Its [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

Have you escaped again ?

Its [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by shrimati(m): 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2015
the poor guy might end up being more confused with conflicting advice. guy take a bottle of chill maltina and relax, think and sleep. wake up and think again. Finally ask yourself what do I want?

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by bellabello(m): 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2015
Mr man go for the sales manager

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Dynaman(m): 3:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

the sales job is bettter since there is car and commision on sales involved then 60k/m, I think its better.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Dynaman(m): 3:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

the sales job is better since there is car and commision on sales involved then 60k/m, I think its better.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by olalekanba(m): 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jacseyi:

I really appreciate your contribution sir

I am have been in Telecoms industry for about 8 yrs now, my take is this since you have Masters degree already take the teaching job.
Start your PHD immediately locally here, the day you have that PHD one of the old Universities will employ you and nobody can fire you again.

You hardly get lecturers with PHD in sciences and Engineering in the country at the moment so you need to look at the future, you can teach till when you are 80 yrs if your health will permit you.

Teaching at private schools especially primary and secondary is totally different from lecturing at a University, job is more secure at the latter and they hardly fire university lecturers except on extreme cases because they are not even enough couple with private universities coming up everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by damola1: 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
Silly question. I am disturbed how important money is to too many people, at the expense of personal interest.

Man up. And follow your damn dreams, the money will come after when you become better than the best, and can market it to the highest bidder!

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
BONE THE SCHOOL PICK THE ENGINEERING STUFF.... IT HAS MORE PROSPECTS THAN TEACHING.... TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by simplynola(m): 3:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
Just ask yourself where you want to be in the next five years and you have a clue to your job puzzle
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Adeyinka12(m): 3:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
Oga o ,after five YEARS ,chai. Anyway ,congratulation you too.

But,for your question,the only thing you can do is to go for prayer. Because work ones did and successful in it , ones may do it and get otherwise.

#prayer is the koko
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by chidinwachukwu(m): 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
Go for sales rep,from experience most sales. Rep's don't depend on their salaries,they make times 10 of their salaries every month ,and you will grow in both your, Career and in the art of marketing electronics,of which you can via off tomorrow and be ur own boss.

2 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by eitsei(m): 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2015
tempex88:

brother God is opening doors for you, delay is not denial. follow your passion. Since you have plan for a PHD I will suggest teaching. Sales job will derail you and ur msc will b useless
to me dis is d best advice so far..jacseyi since u already av a plan for PhD y not take d teaching job n develop urcef impacting knowledge

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by rman: 3:26pm On Aug 18, 2015
If you are really thinking longterm based on your background, the sales jobs is better.

Setting for teaching is like remaining in your comfort zone. Engineering firms, sales, marketing etc reward experience more than teaching does.

You will be shocked you can get an offer running into millions from the bigger boys based on just a few months experience in engineering sales. I doubt teaching will offer you such massive leap.

IMO, both 60k and 80k fall into the same category of low income earner and shouldn't really be a strong factor in your case.

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by babyfaceafrica: 3:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
dandollar1:
Lolzzzzz @ the bolded. Go and ask teachers teaching kindergartens in NLNG schools how far. Please, don't always generalise.
as in I know understand that person o...maybe he or she doesn't recognise that teachers are different from teachersm.nigerians been underatting teachers since 1852BC
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by delman88(m): 3:31pm On Aug 18, 2015
the question you should ask yourself is " what am i passionate about?"

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by bigerboy200: 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
Please go for the teaching Job..u seem to have a passion 4 it,after sometime u can go for a relevant PGD in education and keep on moving or even pursue a PhD since u hav ur masters already..i personally hate anything sales/marketing, more so when ur income partly depends on ur sales..itz annoying cos u can't plan ahead..
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Danbam(m): 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
@op,u r in a dilemma that many people would love to be and quickly make decisions without thinking through. Its actually good u asking dir suggestions, but in the end u r doin to make ur decision yourself which prolly might be influenced by what people say here.
Most of the responses here has been a shorts sighted response.
Now the question I will like u to ask and answer yourself,sincerely is: What's ur career prospect? What do u aim to achieve in the long-term? Do u c yourself working in an engineering firm or working as a lecturer (cuz I c u wrote something on spending on attending conferences, travelling, tests, interviews, and scholarship applications for Ph.D abroad--signs of u aiming to work in a higher institution)?
Well the answer above should determine your next line of action. And MOST IMPORTANTLY,don't neglect God,He took u this far. God help u.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by naijainfogalery: 3:36pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dude before you make any decision in your life, always have something in mind, dont get comfortable, If you go for the teaching job, you will be stucked for the rest of your life, Why? You have a free house to live in , you have a secured job that you know that in the next 40 years if the school doesnt shut down or u do something bad, they wont sack you. This will make you so relaxed that you wont achieve you maximum level of success, But the sales job, will make you go through stress, you will keep pushing yourself high, making you a better person and making you learn more and be better at what you do, And at the end of the day with each sales you will make more money that might amount to x3 of your salary, And you even stand a better chance of moving to another job or being poached by another company, Be smart Bro, Dont get comfortable . !!!
Jacseyi:

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
I will advise you to accept the sales job. I was once worked as sales executive with salary of 60k but at the end of the month my total take home is up 200k due to commissions. the least i earned is 130k. As sales in engineering related firm you can earn as high as millions per month.

I had a friend that work with Elizade motors his salary is 25k as field sales officer, but he is doing well in Abuja, Building houses, good cars etc from his commissions only. There was month he sold some cars to ministry of trade in Abuja, he made over 4.6 millions as commissions.

It might not be easy as you start but it will surely pay you off than teaching

Sales job will help you meet people in the industry of your dream.
Sales job will help develop your interpersonal skills very well
You will sure get a better offer with doing a sales job than teaching, it help me very well
Infact, sales job is an eye opener

3 Likes

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by pamelerin: 3:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hello, you are already on a career path---Teaching!. I cannot be too certain you enjoy imparting knowledge into others---young upcoming generation even if the pay has not been so encouraging..In all honest, money comes in in piece meal for someone that is focused and hardworking, latter in increase, as you remain resolute and focused on what you are doing now as job. Presently, the income may not be much ....exact thing is coming to reality here with you....the gains of many years of teaching with little or no pay is now turning out to be profitable...in the last five years you have involved in teaching only, which I am very sure your body system has already adjust to.

Fine, a good job is now knocking on your door with mouth watering offer of a car benefit in which the income is of little difference....who fuels, maintains and service the car for you?, if the answer is YOU...then i will advise that you look else where for a better offer because the seemingly nice new engineering job may not be truly a nice and securing job but a leaking pipe in disguise or perhaps, a white elephant. Then you may continue in your job hunting.

Teaching job these days does not come easily especially when you are not a professionally qualified teacher. It appears you stumbled on it due to unemployment.

Bros, upgrade and wise up, IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD TAKE THE TEACHING OFFER except if you are not enjoying it. You never can tell what God has in stock for you. He may wants you to become a big time school owner or possibly give you a job you will ever be grateful unto HIM. Cheers!
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Godsp4k(m): 3:47pm On Aug 18, 2015
My broda go for the teaching u'll grow from dia...
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
Kelklein:
is the school job pensionable?
find out if it is.. if yes, take it...

if it is not... forget it for that singular reason and go for the sales job

do you have flare for convincing, prospecting and meeting new people..if yes, go for the sales job.

NOW THE CHOICE IS YOURS!

goodluck
Pension is a bad idea

1 Like

Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by vani86: 3:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
go for the 80k teaching job, since you have experience giving extra lessons, you can always give extra lessons which could bring in additional 20-30k permonth.

take home pay 100 - 110 k.

plus teaching aint as stressful as sales rep and there is a greater degree of job security to that of sales rep where you can be fired for a bad month
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by Acidosis(m): 4:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
How can you be in Lagos as a private home teacher and your highest pay since the past five years is N32,000/monthly?

With such growth, how would you earn ''millions'' for the electronic company? My brother that car is not yours, you might end up fueling the car from your salary.

A school is willing to offer you N80,000 with accommodation; are you willing to let that go? Why dump your significant experience in TEACHING for SALES? ...because of Car? or could it be that you prefer this sales job because the company name sounds BIG & popular?

A 'relative' whom I've lived with since childhood, started as a teacher in Lagos with N15,000 monthly salary. In about 3 years, his earning grew from N15k to about N170,000 monthly (least); with about 5 part-time teachers under his payroll. Mind you, the biz is now registered and enhanced.

Lastly OP, how old are you? When do you want to settle down? Wouldn't you rather choose a school, mix that with extra lessons, and live peacefully with your family while you hope for better things (say a Polytechnic or University Job)?

Do not dump your experience bro. Shalom!
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by SomebodyLovesMe: 4:05pm On Aug 18, 2015
A very tricky one.

The Sales job is definitely a better one for your CV (unless you are planning for a career in the education field). The problem with the sales job is that, as with most other sales jobs, there is a higher risk of losing the job if you don't hit your targets. It will however give you the opportunity to meet a lot of people and build your network. Sales skills are very easily transferrable, and you can leverage on your sales experience to get other jobs, within and outside sales. You should probably do some research on the company, and how the current sales people are faring. Do they have a high turnover rate? If yes, then don't bother.

On the other hand, the Teacher offer seems a lot more stable. As long as the institution is an established one and you know your job, you have a higher chance of being retained in that role. A higher salary and free accommodation are huge bonuses too. However, the prospects of working outside the education sector are tougher. So you should really consider this option if you are aiming for a career in education.

The answer to your question will depend on what you want to do in your career, ultimately. A lesson I have learnt in my career is that money should never be the primary consideration when comparing different roles - the career prospects offered by each role are one of the things that count the most.

But do not make any decision until you have done some more research regarding both companies and their staff turnover rate.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by JOF2: 4:05pm On Aug 18, 2015
If you like teaching and you are looking at becoming a lectrurer .pls go for teaching job. If you think you have interest in sales then go for sales job. Note this sch gives you more time to read n you can still do other business.
You are offer an accomodation wao. So lovely brother.
Sales job no easy o brother but if you are meeting target omg you will enjoy it.
Re: Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. by PHC4(m): 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
Gladly accept the sales job. In the long run you will be grateful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These / Hair Dressing Vs Tailoring Which One Is Advisable To Learn? / Mckinsey First Round Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.