Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These (28057 Views)

Things To Consider Before Choosing A Career / 10 Things To Consider When Creating Job Policy / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by anonymox321(m): 12:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
To start with, I never read Marketing and throughout when I was in school, it never crossed my mind I would be selling/marketing a bank.

U know how it is in this country to get a job. U will have to share a testimony if u get one.

So when I was invited by bank A for an aptitude test, I was very happy. I passed the test and d bank A invited me for an interview, I had to form being a marketer when I learnt it's marketers they wanted. I came from an average family. It was a miracle how I got enough money to finance my university education. So I needed the job badly to give back to my family that sacrificed a lot for me. Thank God I got it.

I struggled in my first two years on the job. Narrowly, I escaped being exited from bank A based on performance. Because i didnt want to lose the regular salaries, I had to sit up. I began to read books on marketing and benchmarked top performers and then my performance changed from being very poor to average. But after six years on the job, I was still on the same grade.

When bank B offered me a higher grade/higher pay, I grabbed the offer. Because I was very excited, before accepting the offer, I didn't consider that:

(1) The brand of Bank A was more than bank B. Hence, marketing was easier in Bank A than in B
(2) Bank A has more branch network than bank B. A very critical factor some prospects consider before doing business with a bank.
(3) Bank A has more corporate accounts than Bank B. A critical factor distributors consider before banking u.
(4) The internal processes in bank A are better than that of bank B. In bank A, I could open an account for a customer in 10 mins, help another customer do transfer in 8 mins
(5) In bank A, most of their reports are already automated. That way, I could get more time to focus on d job instead of sending one report or the other to mgt. In bank B, the reports have to be manually generated.
(6) However, the staff welfare package in bank B is better than bank A's. Also, they don't sack often than they do in bank A.
(7) Your loyalty is tested. I felt like Judas thereafter.

So I had to work harder to bring in accounts in bank B. It was by a miracle I even met my confirmation target.

There is no perfect system anywhere. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

So before u make that move, don't just get excited about the mouth- watery offer, weigh the costs and benefits, pray to God to guide your decisions or else u may be gambling with your career.

79 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by EdidiongXL(m): 3:28pm On Mar 13, 2016
Sometimes I wonder how you guys talk people into opening up accounts in your bank. It's not really an easy task I guess especially if you aren't a delectable lady.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by cuteguy007: 1:02pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hello sir, I love your analysis. Please, in all this, how do you rate the chances of a new ET (Entry Trainee) with Diamond Bank who is about to commence the usual six months training?

anonymox321:

To start with, I never read Marketing and throughout when I was in school, it never crossed my mind I would be selling/marketing a bank.

U know how it is in this country to get a job. U will have to share a testimony if u get one.

So when I was invited by bank A for an aptitude test, I was very happy. I passed the test and d bank A invited me for an interview, I had to form being a marketer when I learnt it's marketers they wanted. I came from an average family. It was a miracle how I got enough money to finance my university education. So I needed the job badly to give back to my family that sacrificed a lot for me. Thank God I got it.

I struggled in my first two years on the job. Narrowly, I escaped being exited from bank A based on performance. Because i didnt want to lose the regular salaries, I had to sit up. I began to read books on marketing and benchmarked top performers and then my performance changed from being very poor to average. But after six years on the job, I was still on the same grade.

When bank B offered me a higher grade/higher pay, I grabbed the offer. Because I was very excited, before accepting the offer, I didn't consider that:

(1) The brand of Bank A was more than bank B. Hence, marketing was easier in Bank A than in B
(2) Bank A has more branch network than bank B. A very critical factor some prospects consider before doing business with a bank.
(3) Bank A has more corporate accounts than Bank B. A critical factor distributors consider before banking u.
(4) The internal processes in bank A are better than that of bank B. In bank A, I could open an account for a customer in 10 mins, help another customer do transfer in 8 mins
(5) In bank A, most of their reports are already automated. That way, I could get more time to focus on d job instead of sending one report or the other to mgt. In bank B, the reports have to be manually generated.
(6) However, the staff welfare package in bank B is better than bank A's. Also, they don't sack often than they do in bank A.
(7) Your loyalty is tested. I felt like Judas thereafter.

So I had to work harder to bring in accounts in bank B. It was by a miracle I even met my confirmation target.

There is no perfect system anywhere. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

So before u make that move, don't just get excited about the mouth- watery offer, weigh the costs and benefits, pray to God to guide your decisions or else u may be gambling with your career.

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 15, 2016
Okay
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by SaiBuharii: 6:30pm On Mar 15, 2016
Marketing career in the bank is a gradual process. The more time you spend in the Bank the easier it is for yoy to meet targets due to increased connections.

3 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 15, 2016
my ATM don expire abeg how I go take renew am?

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Adesiji77: 6:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
Good observation @anonymox321

Crossing from one bank to another is a decision that one has to consider very carefully, especially now with the current state of the economy and the regulatory headwinds that banks are battling with.

Interestingly, banks where things seem to "work" tend to have almost zero tolerance for delayed performance as you rightly observed.

"There is no perfect system anywhere. The grass is not always greener on the other side."

I share the above sentiment 200%. These are invaluable lessons you learn when you move from one bank to another.

There is always a price to pay...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by gungab(m): 6:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
sir am available if you need me in your team as a trainee thanks

2 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by DONSMITH123(m): 6:32pm On Mar 15, 2016
bros, instant card issuance is what's in stock now. You can walk in to any branch and do your renewal. ECOBANK

thagift:
my ATM don expire abeg how I go take renew am?
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by gungab(m): 6:32pm On Mar 15, 2016
sir am available if you need me in your team as a trainee thanks
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Welder(m): 6:34pm On Mar 15, 2016
OP is so on point.

If only it was even easy to move banks...some of us would have taken the plunge rather than sitting in a place for almost 10years cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Sijo01(f): 6:34pm On Mar 15, 2016
Hmmmm, eye opener! Op's advise can be applied to all sectors of the economy not just bank. Before you quite your present job, compare and contrast all angles between your present job and the new offer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Rich4god(m): 6:36pm On Mar 15, 2016
cuteguy007:
Hello sir, I love your analysis. Please, in all this, how do you rate the chances of a new ET (Entry Trainee) with Diamond Bank who is about to commence the usual six months training?

Go for it... Their pay is good and the six month training is superb. Feeding and housing guaranteed. Plus flight ticket. Except they've started to cut cost.

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by ednut1(m): 6:37pm On Mar 15, 2016
So true
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Smooyis(m): 6:38pm On Mar 15, 2016
I thought you were about to tell us what we should consider as customers before opening an account in a bank.

Pls what is the effect of leaving an account dormant for long. Because I have an eco bank account I have abandoned for long.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by innocent1(m): 6:39pm On Mar 15, 2016
You must be a talkative to work as a marketer expecially in the bank. Thanks for the enlightenment

2 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Vision4God: 6:43pm On Mar 15, 2016
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by fairheven: 6:50pm On Mar 15, 2016
If you think the "grass is greener on the other side" then also know that it "cost more to water it"

So water your own grass wherever you find yourself and your greenness shall appear to all

4 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by talisman35(m): 6:50pm On Mar 15, 2016
what about FCMB WHAT CAN YOU SAY ABOUT THIS BANK
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by ayo4dworld(m): 7:00pm On Mar 15, 2016
Hmmmn... No matter the amount involved, if a job doesn't guarantee peace of mind, it does not worth it at all.

7 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Setaje(f): 7:08pm On Mar 15, 2016
Adesiji77:
Good observation @anonymox321

Crossing from one bank to another is a decision that one has to consider very carefully, especially now with the current state of the economy and the regulatory headwinds that banks are battling with.

Interestingly, banks where things seem to "work" tend to have almost zero tolerance for delayed performance as you rightly observed.

"There is no perfect system anywhere. The grass is not always greener on the other side."

I share the above sentiment 200%. These are invaluable lessons you learn when you move from one bank to another.

There is always a price to pay...

grin

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Acidosis(m): 7:10pm On Mar 15, 2016
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by lokonzo78: 7:11pm On Mar 15, 2016
You are right, and the truth is that your decision to leave Bank A is a perfect one because if you didn't move, you would still be on same level. Career growth comes with challenges, ability to withstand those challenges is what that guarantees swift upliftment. People always think marketing job in Banking industry is hard nut to crack, but the truth is, some have found solutions to it and have climbed the ladder very fast leaving their set in operation department behind with like two to three steps. As per loyalty, it is criminal to be loyal to an employer. What you owe an employer is honesty, hard work, commitment and trust. A lot of organisations nowadays only reward performance and neglect loyalty.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Tanyogo(m): 7:15pm On Mar 15, 2016
@Op, I strongly agree with you. The market is generally very stiff, selling has become a problem. But the employers are just concerned with how much you make for. Am also battling with such a situation in one of the old generation banks.
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by FreemanDave(m): 7:17pm On Mar 15, 2016
UNCONVINCED....

undecided
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by ladenz(m): 7:17pm On Mar 15, 2016
ayo4dworld:
Hmmmn... No matter the amount involved, if a job doesn't guarantee peace of mind, it does not worth it at all.

It doesn't worth it rara grin
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Objectives: 7:30pm On Mar 15, 2016
innocent1:
You must be a talkative smart talker to work as a marketer expecially in the bank. Thanks for the enlightenment

2 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by obiaguna(m): 7:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
Wait, how does somebody remain in a particular position for 6 years
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Justicealh3(m): 7:43pm On Mar 15, 2016
The name of the banks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mckinsey First Round Interview / Woman Loses Pregnancy After Alleged Kick From Lebanese Boss / N-Power Volunteers, How Are You Coping Without March Stipend During Lockdown?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.