Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,445 members, 7,850,559 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:11 AM

Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters (28281 Views)

Mary Odili Wept And Begged Supreme Court Judges To Accept N5billion Bribe - SR / BREAKING NEWS: Buhari Seeks Emergency Powers To Tackle Economy / Buhari Seeks ‘fearless’ Judges To Try Looters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Fundango: 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2015
funlord:
grin

Fearless judges? 4 naija? I doubt if dey exist! Na only "judge dredd" go fit help us sentence these gigantic thieves oh!
you are 100000% right my brother,infact we need atleast 1000 of such judges(eg judge dredd , Robo cops and andriod cops)in each states of the federation.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Sunday8650: 1:06pm On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:

Bros we have the National judicial council to sanction erring Judges. If you have any case against any Judge take it to them.It is not the prerogative of the executive to sanction erring judges.
You have no idea how deep corruption is. You think it is a surface problem. We won't have worried so much if it is on the surface. Take the time out and review every institution in nigeria and tell me which have a clean bill with respect to corrupt practices not even our religious institution is free from the epidemic of corruption.

You really have no idea about the size and scale of corruption it is just a political perspective you see. To you it is just APC and PDP thing.

The west have clean every aspect of their institutions before they prides themselves as countries govern by law. Do you think what we are talking here is just politics. You no idea how deep corruption have eaten into our lives. You can't cleanse judiciary and ignore the senate or clean the legislative and ignore the executive. It is that deep and because of that it needs a credible process one we cannot boost of with any institution even the EFCC or DSS. You can see Buhari was very selective of who to use. He has to be sure of their integrity first.

We are not saying everyone is corrupt but simply searching a righteous man in Nigeria is like separating grains of rice from large pile of sands
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Fundango: 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2015
handie:
I believe there are still a few incorruptible and fearless Nigerian judges. Root em out and let the trials begin! If you see none, abeg take Jega to be reading the final judgements and trials be conducted by a jury of judges put under strict security watch
pls pity politcal tugs and orurubebians plleeaase!
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by bjdon: 1:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sunday8650:

1. There is no question. Of " IF", You know and I know we have corrupt judges in the helm of power.

2. This judges have a way of influencing public sentiment and regional aggression through their sponsors.

3. Our own senate is filled with corrupt lawmakers from both APC and PDP

4. You can not fight corruption with a pampered hand of the law. The very law you defend can be interpreted by any judge to suite the situation as it arises

5. When you put a pot on fire everything inside the pot feels the heat as the pot itself. True fight against corruption will reflect on all parties including APC and PDP. When EFCC was on the fore front on the fight against corruption even ACN were very cautious not to associate with corrupt individuals. The only hatred some people on this forum have for apc its because of the alliance with cpc and anpp

6.If all fabric of a nation is affected by corruption the only logical thing to do is to be cautious of who handles the process of eradicating that corruption. Buhari have state it clearly he is not after anybody he only wants the stolen funds return either willingly or by the sword of justice.

7. Now his only desire is that the person or body who handles that sword is upright and credible to give the process credibility.

Quite a lot of points, I conceed, but none change the simple fact that the LAW MUST BE FOLLOWED AT ALL TIMES.

If you are saying that the body politic of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is now so rotten and corrupted that it can't be relied upon to effectively dispense justice(Which seems to the case from your seven points above) then the only logical conclusion is that the current constitution and the 4th republic need to be suspended, emergency rule brought in and the whole stable cleaned out. Is that what you are advocating?
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by vicadex07(m): 1:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
though saraki betrayed his party, he is still APC
chukwudi44:

PROXY KO PROWLING NI!!! LIKE HE HAS BEEN ABLE TO REMOVE SARAKI BY PROXY!!! BUNCH OF ILLITERATES
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sunday8650:

You have no idea how deep corruption is. You think it is a surface problem. We won't have worried so much if it is on the surface. Take the time out and review every institution in nigeria and tell me which have a clean bill with respect to corrupt practices not even our religious institution is free from the epidemic of corruption.

You really have no idea about the size and scale of corruption it is just a political perspective you see. To you it is just APC and PDP thing.

The west have clean every aspect of their institutions before they prides themselves as countries govern by law. Do you think what we are talking here is just politics. You no idea how deep corruption have eaten into our lives. You can't cleanse judiciary and ignore the senate or clean the legislative and ignore the executive. It is that deep and because of that it needs a credible process one we cannot boost of with any institution even the EFCC or DSS. You can see Buhari was very selective of who to use. He has to be sure of their integrity first.

We are not saying everyone is corrupt but simply searching a righteous man in Nigeria is like separating grains of rice from large pile of sands

I know exactly how bad the corruption is.If a common secondary school drop out could forge a SSCE result and enlist in the army ending up as a General and Military head of state then the system is really corrupt!!! If someone wants to let his friend who were indicted for $12,5 Billion gulf war oil windfall and $16 billion energy scam to go after imaginary thieves then the system is really corrupt

1 Like

Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by cabaliciouscabal: 1:37pm On Aug 17, 2015
Eleventh Commandment, Thou Shall Not Steal Any Kobo Belonging To Nigeria,

PMB we ar with u all d way, dey must rotten in prison and as for d corrupt judges, no space for dem in dis fight against corruption , only reliable, corrupt free, fearless, resolute judges will embark on dis journey of total fight against corruption.

Looters be reminded d honey moon is over.

Be prepared to serve ur #jail time.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 17, 2015
vicadex07:
though saraki betrayed his party, he is still APC

lol grin grin grin grin Just Like Tambuwal was also PDP

1 Like

Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by bros856: 1:47pm On Aug 17, 2015
donholy28:
Imagine! if there's evidence of looting present,u don't need special" handpicked" judges to try them
They should send the case to any Judge so that they will be given bail then prolong the case till after 8 years when Buhari is gone or jail term will have options. I don't think you are a Nigerian living in Nigeria.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by bros856: 1:54pm On Aug 17, 2015
MR PRESIDENT BUHARI, with all due respect please don't allow the likes of Justice Gabriel Kolawole of Abuja High Court to sit on any of those corruption cases. His actions and Judgements doesn't make him a Judge at all. He has been compromised by some big society men.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by seniorbros(m): 1:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:
Junk journalism!!! The presidency has no such powers to chose judges to try any case!! There is no such powers in our constitution which confers any such powers on the executive.

These propagandas by the APC and its media outlets are becomming sickening!!! This was exactly what Bishop Kukah was talking about!!!
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by olojo1: 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2015
ionsman:

Everything is propaganda to you. Abeg learn to shut up o jare. angry

I believe dis propaganda guy is from otueke,don't be sentimented lets see where d matter will end. Abi u also awarded unexecute contract ni?
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Sunday8650: 2:09pm On Aug 17, 2015
bjdon:

Quite a lot of points, I conceed, but none change the simple fact that the LAW MUST BE FOLLOWED AT ALL TIMES.

If you are saying that the body politic of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is now so rotten and corrupted that it can't be relied upon to effectively dispense justice(Which seems to the case from your seven points above) then the only logical conclusion is that the current constitution and the 4th republic need to be suspended, emergency rule brought in and the whole stable cleaned out. Is that what you are advocating?
Am advocating a stronger stance on corruption from the public irrespective of party affiliation. When a step is commendable we should support it not because it was not propose by your party but because it is just.

When you see no good in a man nothing good will come out of him. Because i don't like Jonathan automatically his policies becomes wrong in my eyes. Even though it is a just policy.

We are in the times were critics are base on party affiliation instead of national and collective interest.

That is what is rampant on nairaland and other social platforms
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Princewell2012(m): 2:17pm On Aug 17, 2015
richybanky:
I belong to everybody (masses) and belong to nobody (cabals) grin grin grin - PMB May 2015
God will surely bless you for these comment.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
presentley:
President Muhammadu Buhari has commenced the process of identifying a few fearless and courageous judges who will be saddled with the responsibility of prosecuting persons who have been found to have stolen national resources, THE PUNCH has learnt.

Buhari had while granting audience to members of the National Peace Committee led by Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar in the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Tuesday disclosed that the prosecution of the indicted persons would commence in a matter of weeks.

“Those who have stolen the national wealth will be in court in a matter of weeks and Nigerians will know those who have short-changed them,” the President had told his guests.

Our correspondent however learnt on Sunday that the prosecution would not be open to “just any judge.”

It was learnt that the President was committed to ensuring that only judges who would expedite action on the cases and would be fearless in discharging their duties would be enlisted for the prosecution.

A source confided in our correspondent that that was one of the assignments Buhari gave to the Prof. Itse Sagay-led Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption which he set up on Monday.

The source said it would not be necessary to set up special courts to try corruption cases since efforts were already underway to identify judges that would key into the President’s dream of ensuring that no looter was left unpunished.

He said, “We do not need to entertain any fear that the prosecution of corruption-related cases will not be fast enough because many of our courts are already weighed down by many cases.

“The truth of the matter is that not all judges will be considered to take up the cases of those who have stolen our commonwealth.

“As a matter of fact, one of the assignments the President gave the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption led by Prof. Sagay is to identify fearless and courageous judges that will handle the cases.

“The idea is to ensure that the judges who will handle the cases will not be just any judges. They must be those who will expedite actions on the cases and discharge their duties with courage.

“You can see that with this development, the issue of special courts for corruption cases may not come. It is about special judges.”

Our correspondent also gathered that Buhari was already considering withdrawing national honours from any individual found to have looted the nation’s treasury.

It was learnt that the President’s position was that the nation should not be seen to be honouring any fruadulent person.

“The President will not hesitate to strip any corrupt person of national honour. Can you honour a person for milking the nation dry? It is irrelevant how long such persons have been bestowed with the national honours, they will be stripped of them,” the source said.

When contacted, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, said it was reasonable that anybody found to be corrupt should be stripped of national honours.

Adesina however said such withdrawal of national honours would not be done until affected persons had been convicted by competent courts.

“Although it has not been considered, it is reasonable that those found guilty of corruption should be stripped of national honours bestowed on them. However, this will not be done before conviction,” the presidential spokesman said.

While announcing the establishment of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption on Monday, Adesina had said its brief was to advise the present administration on the prosecution of the war against corruption and the implementation of required reforms in Nigeria’s criminal justice system.

He said the committee was also saddled with the responsibility of developing comprehensive interventions for achieving the recommended reforms.

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-seeks-fearless-judges-to-try-looters/

Its not about fearlessness, its all about govt sincerity to the anti corruption drive, the constitution as well as other anticorruption laws should be enforced and supported. shi kenan
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Sunday8650: 2:30pm On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:

I know exactly how bad the corruption is.If a common secondary school drop out could forge a SSCE result and enlist in the army ending up as a General and Military head of state then the system is really corrupt!!! If someone wants to let his friend who were indicted for $12,5 Billion gulf war oil windfall and $16 billion energy scam to go after imaginary thieves then the system is really corrupt

I do not support Abacha name to be remove from the probe but i do believe there is no way Buhari can probe PDP and ignore APC.

It was clear Buhari doesn't favour APC that is why PDP support his probe and encourage him not to show favourism but be just.

Why do u reject a process welcome by all including the international community
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Princewell2012(m): 2:31pm On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:

Mumu this is law and not propaganda. Buhari does not have the powers to appoint any judge to handle any case. I expect fools like you that show me the section of our constitution where you think gave The president the powers to assign judges to handle cases
Oga he never said he will appoint any judge but he will advise the committee to do so. I thought you are educated?
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by esecoal(m): 2:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
Olodo were did u read that the president will Choose the JUdeges himself? ANd who talked about havin or not havin th power to do so
#advice for u, Everybody cannot be critising ur school boi comment .....U need to check ursef u got Interlect myopia

chukwudi44:
Junk journalism!!! The presidency has no such powers to chose judges to try any case!! There is no such powers in our constitution which confers any such powers on the executive.

These propagandas by the APC and its media outlets are becomming sickening!!! This was exactly what Bishop Kukah was talking about!!!
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
Princewell2012:
Oga he never said he will appoint any judge but he advised the committee to do so. I thought you are educated?

Olodo only the CJN,the state CJs and the National Judicial council has the powers to assign Judges to cases.No useless presidential commitee has the power to assign Judges to cases.You fools should strive to keep yourself abreast with the laws of the land and quit exposing your ignorance on intenational forum like this
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by bjdon: 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sunday8650:

Am advocating a stronger stance on corruption from the public irrespective of party affiliation. When a step is commendable we should support it not because it was not propose by your party but because it is just.

When you see no good in a man nothing good will come out of him. Because i don't like Jonathan automatically his policies becomes wrong in my eyes. Even though it is a just policy.

We are in the times were critics are base on party affiliation instead of national and collective interest.

That is what is rampant on nairaland and other social platforms
Calm down, I feel your passion and it's highly commendable. For your information, I don't support any party. Honestly I don't know how any right thinking Nigerian can claim to be a party supporter seeing how ALL parties have looted this great country into the ground.

Additionally please don't take my stance as criticism or attack on Buhari. People need to rise above this and accept that on national issues, we can take different sides of an issue that does not mean it's an 'attack'

I take your point on national interest entirely and that's what I am trying to argue here. If you deeply read my posts with you, you will understand that I am not even referring to Buhair, GEJ or whoever. What I am simply talking about is what's the best way to go about the fight against corruption while, ensuring that due process is followed and the independence of the 3 arms of govt as laid down by the constitution is maintained.

Now you propose that the issue here is that we have a lot of corrupt judges in Nigeria. Guess what? I agree 100% with you. However where we disagree is how to proceed. You say that Buhari should be allowed to select 'honest' judges to try the corruption cases. I disagree because that would break the independence of the judiciary and set a very dangerous precedence for the future.

I think a better way forward, would be for the EFCC and ICPC to be instructed to launch a quick blitz on the judiciary. I am certain the very corrupt judges are known within the profession. It would not be hard to focus internally on a few of them, seize their excess properties, freeze their accounts...etc. While this is happening the NSA or head of DSS could summon the Chief judge of the federation and the 36 state chief judges and tell them to pass onto all the other judges a simple message. You are being watched. Your accounts and those of your close family are being monitored, the govt is about to start anti corruption cases, if you like take bribe, we will now and you'll be arrested. This way the independence of the judiciary is maintained, but the judges will now think twice before taking any bribes. To go further the security agencies could even arrange some 'sting' operations, where undercover agents actually offer bribes to some judges to catch them out. Trust me once a few a caught like this the rest will sit up and do their job properly because ultimately Nigerians are cowards.

The late great Dora Akunyli practically eliminated fake drugs from Nigeria and she never had to cross the law to do it. I am confident that with similar leadership our anti corruption agencies can do the same with the ALL branches of govt in Nigeria.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sunday8650:

I do not support Abacha name to be remove from the probe but i do believe there is no way Buhari can probe PDP and ignore APC.

It was clear Buhari doesn't favour APC that is why PDP support his probe and encourage him not to show favourism but be just.

Why do u reject a process welcome by all including the international community

He who calls for equity must come to the table with clean hands!!! The fact remains that your Buhari is a corrupt certificate fraud and is in no position to champion the war on corruption.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by richybanky(m): 2:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
Princewell2012:
God will surely bless for these comment.
Amen.. God bless u too bro
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Princewell2012(m): 3:04pm On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:

Olodo only the CJN,the state CJs and the National Judicial council has the powers to assign Judges to cases.No useless presidential commitee has the power to assign Judges to cases.You fools should strive to keep yourself abreast with the laws of the land and quit exposing your ignorance on intenational forum like this
Why are you disgracing your self everywhere on these forum? why don't you go to court if you 're not satisfied with his decision. Idiot.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by omogidi234(m): 3:19pm On Aug 17, 2015
chukwudi44:

The CJN is under no obligation to accept any such directives.Both the CJN and the president would be in trouble if it is publicly exposed that any Judge handling any case was assigned on the directives of the executive

I like your response. Let us keep our fingers crossed.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by ebakhaiyhe(m): 4:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
This is not a military government. There is separation of power between the executive, legislatures and the judiciary. I wonder why many of us are behaving as if we did not see the class room in our secondary school. APC should stop this media trial. You can only fool a people for some times and not forever. APC, we are waiting for you to fulfil your campaign promises
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by grabs(m): 7:39pm On Aug 17, 2015
So Buhari is going to instruct the Chief Judge on who to assign which case abi? This brain dead president is about to learn what democracy and separation of powers means.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by gidjah(m): 7:39pm On Aug 17, 2015
Amen o, May our Gulder Ultimate Search end well.
SenJoe:
May the search go well
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Appareil(m): 7:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
Chei! I am tired of This PMB's probe, arrest,charge,try etc. Really putting me off!
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 17, 2015
Princewell2012:
Why are you disgracing your self everywhere on these forum? why don't you go to court if you 're not satisfied with his decision. Idiot.

Olodo there is no decision to be made as the illiterate president does not have the power to make any such decision.It is only the CJN and the state CJ that can assign court cases to Judges.
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by anwo247: 8:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
Is he the chief justice of the federation? Let him try amaechi, Oshiomhole, Aregberasacal by himself and declare them non guilty. Dullard: buhari is so dull that even when he forged the waec result, he still gave himself F9. Haba buhari; and you wan rule nigeria ni?
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2015
buhari is so dull that even when he forged the waec result, he still gave himself F9. Haba buhari; and you wan rule nigeria ni?

Chai see finishing!!! Bros u wicked die
Re: Buhari Seeks Fearless Judges to try looters by lincolnlinks: 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2015
PMB I pray that God will give you the strength to make positive change we all voted you for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Replies Kenneth Okonkwo (photos) / Ize-Iyamu Storms Edo North, Campaigns In Estako East, West & Central (Photos) / Umahi Orders Engineers To Commence Work At Akadoro Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.