Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,651 members, 7,816,666 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom (1810 Views)

Senate Walks Out Hammed Ali, Customs Comptroller General For Not Wearing Uniform / Hadiza Usman Squats To Greet Osinbajo, The Acting President (Photo) / John Atte Becomes New Customs Boss (Acting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by BABSIN(m): 7:01am On Aug 19, 2015
John Atte, former Depuy Comptroller General of Nigeria Custom has taken Over from Abdullahi Dikko Inde, The out gone Comptroller general, whose resignation was approved by Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja on Monday.
wever, other senior Customs officers in the ranks of DCG and Assistants Comptroller-General (ACG) are seriously lobbying to succeed Dikko with the DCG Tariff and Trade, Adewuyi Akinade and DCG, Enforcement, Investigation and Inspection, Musa Tahir said to be enjoying the backing of some powerful politicians from the South West and North East respectively.

Adewuyi hails from Oyo State while Tahir hails from Yobe State.

The other DCGs who are adopting a wait-and-see attitude include Chukwuma Nwosu (Enugu State), Ibrahim Mera (Kebbi State) and Gabriel Aliu (Kogi State).

The NCS also has 17 Assistants Comptroller-General, any of whom could be picked by the President to succeed Dikko, according to usually reliable sources.

They are ACG Excise & Duty, Dan Ugo (Benue State); ACG Human Resource Development, Patient Iferi (Cross River); Strategic Research and Policy, Austin Warikoru (Bayelsa); ACG Tariff and Trade, Grace Adeyemo (Ondo); ACG Excise Department, Robert Alu (Nassarawa) and Coordinator, Zone B, Ade Dosunmu (Lagos State).

The other ACGs are Coordinator, Zone D, Paul Ukaigwe (Imo State); Coordinator, Zone C, Ahmed Muhammed (Jigawa State); ACG Human Resource Development, Adeshina Odumbaku (Lagos State); ACG Investigation and Inspection, Bello Liman (Sokoto State); ACG Industrial Incentives, Monday Abueh (Rivers State); Coordinator, Zone A, ACG Victor Gbemudu (Delta State); Madu Mohammed (Yobe State), who is serving on the NCS Board; ACG Information, Communication and Technology, Iya Umar (Adamawa) and ACG Finance and Revenue, Bridget Okafor (Anambra).

Abdullahi had earlier written a letter dated August 3 to the President in which he notified Buhari of his desire to proceed on voluntary retirement from August 18.

Buhari’s approval of Abdullahi’s request was dated August 14 and personally signed by the President.

He thanked the NCS boss for his services to the county in the last six years.

The President’s letter was titled “Voluntary retirement from the Nigeria Customs Service.”

The approval read, “Dear, Alhaji D.I. Abdullahi. I write to acknowledge the receipt of your letter Ref. No. NCS/ADM/HQ/P. 35802 of 3rd August, 2015 conveying your decision to voluntarily retire from the Nigeria Customs Service with effect from Tuesday, 18th August, 2015.

“I note with appreciation your services to this nation, especially as the Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service in the last six (6) years.

“Accordingly, I hereby approve your voluntary retirement from the Nigeria Customs Service with effect from 18th August 2015.

“I wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

“Yours sincerely, Muhammadu Buhari.”

Abdullahi had, in his letter to the President, thanked him for the confidence and trust reposed on him since he (Buhari) was inaugurated on May 29.

He said by August 18, he would be six years in office as the Comptroller-General of the NCS.

He recalled that on assumption of office, he articulated six-point agenda which he vigorously pursued.

He said the agenda had positively impacted on the efficiency and performance of officers of the service and had drastically changed the negative perception of the service.

He listed the six-point agenda to include capacity building, introduction of e-Customs, enhancing productivity through improved welfare package, moral rebirth for discipline and integrity in service, collaboration and partnering with stakeholders and international organisations, as well as fostering understanding of the Service in the eye of the general public using an intensified and a well-coordinated public relations platform.

The NCS boss said under his watch, the revenue collection into various coffers of government increased drastically.

He said the Service’s average monthly collection in 2009 when he took over was about N29billion, adding that the average monthly collection is currently between N90billion and N100billion.

He hinged his decision to embark on voluntary resignation on the need to allow young bloods to takeover the mantle of leadership of the Service in order to sustain and improve on his legacy.

Abdullahi concluded, “While thanking Your Excellency and indeed Nigerians for the opportunity to serve and contribute my quota to the development of our fatherland, I wish to seek approval of Your Excellency to be allowed to retire voluntarily on 18th August 2015.

“This decision is taken with a view to allowing young bloods takeover the mantle of leadership of the Service in order to sustain and improve on my legacy.”

The President has yet to name Abdullahi’s successor at the time of filing this report.
http://shipsandports.com.ng/john-atte-takes-over-customs-as-dikko-bows-out-today/
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by azimibraun: 7:02am On Aug 19, 2015
Northern Agenda. That's what the negative ones will say... Hierarchy, Qualification & God's decision hardly crosses their minds.

" Who the Cap fit..Let him wear it.
Bob Nesta Marley.

1 Like

Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by jay89(m): 7:03am On Aug 19, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by david22uu(m): 7:03am On Aug 19, 2015
K
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by gbogboti: 7:14am On Aug 19, 2015
To be fair, the last two appointments were from the East and north which was Diko. Buhari should consider Ugo from Benue or the Oyo guy since na rotational system of appointments we dey do for naija.
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by VickJames(m): 7:15am On Aug 19, 2015
That igbo man lobbying for the position has lost already, he should just relax till 2054 when an igbo man will become the president.

1 Like

Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by boboLIL(m): 7:20am On Aug 19, 2015
Okay na.....congrats
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by highmood(m): 7:25am On Aug 19, 2015
VickJames:
That igbo man lobbying for the position has lost already, he should just relax till 2054 when an igbo man will become the president.
get a life. Its still early to make tribal comments. Don't fool yourself trying to be comical. Ozu!

3 Likes

Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by natas22: 7:27am On Aug 19, 2015
Congratulation

But if there is atom of corruption no matter how minute you will be kicked out by my sai buhari.
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by VickJames(m): 7:28am On Aug 19, 2015
highmood:
get a life. Its still early to make tribal comments. Don't fool yourself trying to be comical. Ozu!

Mechionu dia! Nkpi!

Do you think I'm been comical with my comment? Oh! You want to wait till the 97% is given the appointment before you cry northernization? The truth is, the man will not near that position because another man (not from southeast will get it).

So calm down and je olu ichori je.
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by drey076(m): 7:30am On Aug 19, 2015
make the Igbo go relax because na den many pass for Jonathan government and more so ekeremadu is dere to represent dere interest

1 Like

Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by jazinogold(m): 7:40am On Aug 19, 2015
congratulations we go wash m o
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by chrixus(m): 7:47am On Aug 19, 2015
Please Mr President' let only whoever qualify for that post stay there. Becos the corruption in that force worse pass NPF, especially those 'bastards' in Apapa
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by Mega005(m): 7:48am On Aug 19, 2015
Great development
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by highmood(m): 8:05am On Aug 19, 2015
VickJames:

Mechionu dia! Nkpi!

Do you think I'm been comical with my comment? Oh! You want to wait till the 97% is given the appointment before you cry northernization? The truth is, the man will not near that position because another man (not from southeast will get it).

So calm down and je olu ichori je.
you know I am going to work and I expect you to do same rather than make useless comments. If you don't know an average Ibo man care less of political appointments as long as their business thrives. Ok. Get a better life dude.
Re: John Atte Takes Over As The Acting Comptroller General Of Nigeria Custom by VickJames(m): 9:34am On Aug 19, 2015
highmood:
you know I am going to work and I expect you to do same rather than make useless comments. If you don't know an average Ibo man care less of political appointments as long as their business thrives. Ok. Get a better life dude.

But did u read the news above before mentioning me?

Please, calm your nerves and read the news before mentioning me again.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Romancing With Politicians Who Destroyed Nigeria For 16yrs —Shekarau / What Nnamdi Said In Court. / PHOTO: President Buhari's ADC Seen Sleeping On Duty At An ECOWAS Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.