Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,047 members, 7,818,146 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation (25041 Views)

Saraki Absent As Dogara Meets Buhari In Aso Rock / Reps Angry As Dogara, Jibrin, Others Inject N40b Projects Into Budget / House Crisis 'Over', As Dogara And Gbajabiamila Factions Reconcile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by ijustdey: 3:06am On Aug 20, 2015
The House of Representatives may be heading for another crisis when it resumes from its recess on September 29.

This is because the Ad Hoc Committee on Standing Orders raised by the Speaker , Yakubu Dogara, is set to reduce the powers of the Deputy Speaker, Yussuff Lasun.

The machinery for achieving this purpose is near perfection, The Nation learnt, as the committee has set the ball rolling in its report, which was laid before the House before it went on recess.

In one of its recommendations, the committee proposed that the Speaker should preside over the Committee of Whole, which is responsible for consideration of reports on bills and investigative hearing as provided by the Standing Orders of the Seventh Assembly.

According to the committee, Order 25 which provides that “the Deputy Speaker shall be the Chairman of Committee of the Whole House, save when the House goes into the Committee of Supply or Ways and Means,” should be amended.

Order 25 (i) which deals with the duties of the Deputy Speaker, states: “In the absence of the Speaker, the Deputy Speaker shall perform all the duties and functions of the Speaker.”

25 (II) further states: “The Deputy Speaker then shall be the Chairman of the Committee of the Whole House, save when the House goes into the Committee of Supply or Ways and Means.”

The move to whittle down the powers of the Deputy Speaker is being seen by some as part of a larger plan to reduce the influence of the Deputy Speaker in the Eighth House.

According to a source, the underlying reason might not be unconnected with the belief that Lasun’s benefit in the Eighth House far outstrips his contributions to the Dogara project.

However, sources said some elements in the erstwhile Dogara camp might be the ones pushing for the move to push Lasun into irrelevance.

Lasun appeared to hit the limelight with his emergence as the Deputy Speaker with a perception that he was little known in the Seventh House due to his being inactive.

However, against all odds and the negative perception, Lasun’s handling of legislative matters on the floor of the Green chamber has left no one in doubt about his grasp of his legislative duties. In the just over 50 days of sittings, Lasun presided over a Committee of the Whole House as well as presiding over plenary in the absence of the Speaker to the admiration of his colleagues and observers.

Dogara must have realised the qualities of his deputy as he delegated several assignments for Lasun to handle.

It was learnt the report presented to the House before its six-week recess promises to be contentious and will not be taken lightly by Lasun and his supporters.

http://thenationonlineng.net/crisis-brews-as-dogara-moves-to-strip-lasun-of-powers/

lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by EverestdeBliu(m): 3:10am On Aug 20, 2015
I think he's just being weary of an in-house coup...nip ur fear in the bud before it escalates. But is it really constitutional?
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by prof17(m): 3:17am On Aug 20, 2015
Make I sleep abegg by 8 I will wake up like king to know waitin the sele jare!
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by JBismarck(m): 3:18am On Aug 20, 2015
Ok
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by drsolob2(m): 3:53am On Aug 20, 2015
hmmmmm
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by segzyj(m): 4:04am On Aug 20, 2015
Brb
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by Heromaniaa: 4:22am On Aug 20, 2015
I didn't read this inexhaustible dissertation.
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by baby124: 4:25am On Aug 20, 2015
Hmm, this move if played right can lead to the ultimate coup for Dogara. Since he is outrightly showing high handedness. Is he so incompetent and dull that an intelligent deputy is a threat? We really don't need dull and easily intimidated people passing laws for us. If Lasun plays his cards right, he can even take over the house since Dogara has made such an obnoxious move. Get the right alliances and demote him back to the floor

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by efilefun(m): 4:27am On Aug 20, 2015
When it comes to matters that favors them, you see our lawmakers quoting the law like scholars but when it comes to policies that will move the nation forward you see them throwing the law aside and look for possible ways of enriching their pockets.. awon olofo

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by Pavore9: 4:33am On Aug 20, 2015
Anyone who develops High Blood Pressure because of these politicians, do not have my sympathy because all they are out for is for their personal interests! angry

5 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by JudgeWilson(m): 4:35am On Aug 20, 2015
This Dog abi na Dogara guy self don d over do oo! Him own case wey dem want use fire am still d do press up for backyard. cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by natas22: 4:45am On Aug 20, 2015
Seasonal movie bunch of sharks that are so selfish all they want its more power kai I wish the nass would be dissolved I don't see there use.
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by arabbunkum: 5:23am On Aug 20, 2015
The Gambaris have always seen 'them' as 'use and throw-way' .

1 Like

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by jidal14: 5:37am On Aug 20, 2015
jidalsopinion./2015/08/20/how-do-you-solve-a-problem-like-mario/
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by amuwo1980: 5:38am On Aug 20, 2015
Coming from the nation, it must be lies, tinubu and propaganda

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by GspotAngela(f): 5:44am On Aug 20, 2015
Okay
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by Nobody: 5:48am On Aug 20, 2015
Now it's a crime to have a very intelligent man as deputy?I guess it's only a crime when the principal is incompetent

6 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by Firefire(m): 5:58am On Aug 20, 2015
Tinubu's the Nation, with their usual media lies and propaganda.

2 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by free2ryhme: 6:03am On Aug 20, 2015
grin grin
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:17am On Aug 20, 2015
How come their disagreements,arguments, political fights and exchange of blows are never about the people.

2 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by SPG4U(m): 6:20am On Aug 20, 2015
[size=20pt]i cant just trust this people for once[/size]

1 Like

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by Jorussia(m): 6:23am On Aug 20, 2015
.I watched Lasun preside over plenary when dogara stepped down from the speaker's chair,to move a motion for the North East,and i must confess that lasun was well composed.If Dogara feels intimidated by the legislative dexterities of lasun,what if it was femi that was his deputy?

5 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by dridowu: 6:28am On Aug 20, 2015
Good Morning Nigerians. Raining over here in. God Bless Us
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by dridowu: 6:28am On Aug 20, 2015
Good Morning Nigerians. Raining over here in. God Bless Us

1 Like

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by erunz(m): 6:50am On Aug 20, 2015
Tinubu and APC have started this again with their usual lies and propaganda. They are trying hard to come in between Dogara and his deputy. God in his infinite mercy will not allow this propaganda to to IJN amen.
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by obynocute(m): 6:56am On Aug 20, 2015
Hmmmmmmm. Ok na
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by stabillo(m): 6:56am On Aug 20, 2015
I hardly read the Nation's newspaper cos it reeks sentiments, always in favour of Tinubu's camp.
Why will Dogara whittle down the power of his deputy, Lasun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by oladele97: 6:58am On Aug 20, 2015
I think is what usually befall on betrayed
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by handie(m): 7:00am On Aug 20, 2015
Do they ever do anything other than fight for power? It's been over 2 months since their inauguration and over 4 since their elections and all these idiots have been able to do is fight for power. Bunch of useless retards
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by SporaD8: 7:02am On Aug 20, 2015
we shall see.
Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by disloman(m): 7:02am On Aug 20, 2015
erunz:
Tinubu and APC have started this again with their usual lies and propaganda. They are trying hard to come in between Dogara and his deputy. God in his infinite mercy will not allow this propaganda to to IJN amen.
Don't tell mi u dreamt of APC n Tinubu this morning again.Tell us where both names were mentioned or remain a Jim jones u are.

8 Likes

Re: Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation by Zonacom(m): 7:02am On Aug 20, 2015
Resume from recess on sept 29? So this guys are paid to always go on recess?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mega-City: Lagos Ranked Alongside NewYork & Beijing (photo) / Day Buhari Showered Praise On Ekweremadu. / How Akpabio Turned To A Woman – Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.