Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,606 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

The Problem With Nigerian Science/technology Education - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Problem With Nigerian Science/technology Education (1419 Views)

Niger Delta Avengers Gives Conditions For Talks With Nigerian Government / Buhari And Fashola At China Aerospace Science Technology Corporation Centre / Helicopters Hovering Round Onitsha With Nigerian Flag - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Nigerian Science/technology Education by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 23, 2015
It's no more news that Nigeria is endowed with both human and natural resources! Giant of Africa. However, it's important to note that the country is yet to live upto expectations , still staggering in almost every facets of nation building. Hey days seem not to be at sight. Reason being tht our institutions hv been sabotaged n raped times over, wc hv left them in a pathetic hapless condition. How did we arrive here? Now the most important of all institutions as far as I'm concerned is the Education sector. Wht happened to It? And hw do we rescucitate tht all important sector? Especially as it has to do with science and technology, the engine room of innovation and industrialisation; in the following paragraphs I intend to make attempt at discussing possible remedies.

Point 1; TEACHING : I think it's the high time the govt. overhauled primary n secondary sch. curriculum n introduce a fresh one; this new one shud b well researched taking into account , the peculiarity of Nigerian child, 21st century, relevant knowledge, local teaching aid, environmental issues awareness, safety issues. Every govt. school (state n. Fed) shud hv a well Stocked library n equiped laboratory. This shud b mandatory, if such sch desire to offer science subjects. And a technology subject shud be made compulsory for all science students n shud b 100% practical work, of wc every sch leaver will summit a project work. This project work must b done solely by the student under thorough supervision.

Point2; Evaluation; frm teaching experience, I hv come to understand tht the way we evaluate students performance is very wrong. Tht's y a student would hv A1 in. Physics bt still nt knw wht physics is all about. Waec questions are nt helpful here. We shud stop all this define, enumerate, state, mention; it encourages only craming. Some bright students may nt be able, for instance, to state the exact wordings of archimedes principle, bt understand the concept. At Olevel I thnk a physics students shud b made to understand, relativity(both general n special) n quantum physics. Not the mathematical aspect but d simple concept . I'll like to see these manner of questions:
- An apple fruit drops from its tree to the ground discuss y this fruit wouldn't fall off the sky bt rather dropped on d earth's surface.
- Explain wht u think would happen if a body moves with the speed of light.
More to this, accounts nt economics shud be made compulsory if ever we want to encourage entrepreneurship.

Point3: TEACHERS: a world class teaching facility cannot substitute a qualified n motivated teacher. So govt. Shud hire only qualified n motivated instructors not just through paper qualification bt rigorous and thorough recruitment exercise. More importantly, teachers shud be well taken care of, to enhance their commitment n morale. I dnt c reason y a supposedly full time teacher shudnt be able to take good care of his family frm his salaries n benefits alone, without having to engage in other trades wc wud, apparently, affect his productivity as teacher.

These are some of the things, I believe, wud put our primary n post primary sch on track. The colonial masters n missionaries who established our first schools did nt hv technology education in mind.

Our tertiary institutions wud b a topic of its own next time. Pls air ur thoughts, let's brainstorm.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigerian Science/technology Education by mikolo80: 6:40am On Aug 23, 2015
Who Will IMPLEMENT
Re: The Problem With Nigerian Science/technology Education by Nobody: 1:55am On Aug 24, 2015
mikolo80:
Who Will IMPLEMENT
Govt n other education stakeholders. Ours is throw up intense public debate on education, drawing the attention of govt. and subject matter experts
Re: The Problem With Nigerian Science/technology Education by mikolo80: 2:47am On Aug 24, 2015
MyFlair:
Govt n other education stakeholders. Ours is throw up intense public debate on education, drawing the attention of govt. and subject matter experts
these shameless govts and education stakeeholders ,ah.... Good luck

(1) (Reply)

The Blame Game Of BH On GEJ Before And Now (hypocrisy Exposed) / Nairalanders Intimidating CV / Did You Know That Rotimi Amechi's Wife Is From Anambra?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.