Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,983 members, 7,835,293 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. (36408 Views)

What's Your Best Moment In Church? / Why Wear Scarf To Church When You Are Already On Wig? / Were King David And Jonathan Gay Patners In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
ademusiwa1e:
:[size=28pt]Se omo ti won pe davido gbo , Yoruba.
Omo to obi, won classify omo nu, as ogun ijoba. Omo nu , won expect to, lati join awon jagun jagun. Ti oruko bere pe nu ade.
Ofi je ki o join jagun jagun. Ati omo re.
Basically eni ti orukan re pe beren pe lu, ade.
Ofi so pe, ogbodu join jagun jagun
Basically ofi make ke compulsory pe gbo gbo awon to oruka won ba bere lati ade.
Won gbo du, join jagun jagun
][/size]
[size=28pt]Kini "basically", "make" ati "compulsory" ni ede yoruba?[/size]

1 Like

Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by daproflinks: 5:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
this post makes no sense..the dance steps you danced in church where did u get it from? what song was actually going tru your head that inspired the dance moves..let me assume you havnt heard those songs before or seen those dance moves..you won't be able to dance with all your might?
was David dance inspired by some dance moves from the Philistines or Amorites? if your heart questions anything you do..please leave it
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Toks2008(m): 5:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
firstking01:
Op, away with dis ur mentality undecidedwe have satanic and seductive dance too, which is sinsad

When we dance bata in yorruba,it comes with certain body movement and same way azonto,etigi and many more so when you say satanic i would like to know the type of dance that is satanic...

seductive dance remains wat it is..SEDUCTIVE which ofcourse is a Big No but most of these regular dance steps we see these days are just the regular dance steps but some religion fanatics call them worldly as if they know how they dance in heaven.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Toks2008(m): 5:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
GraceBestowed:
THIS is what I thought of when I saw the previous post asking whether it is wrong to dance freely in the church.

Whenever I am in the presence of God, I have no inhibitions and I give Him my all, this includes my praise in the form of dancing. People can think whatever they want to think. David danced and his wife despised him in her heart because of his expression of praise to God. What did God do? He shut her womb!

With us being intelligent people, we should know HOW to dance in the presence of The Lord. Gyrating and dancing in a sexually provocative manner is a no no and should be saved for the bedroom with your husband/wife not your fellow church goers!

LOBATAN...

BTW the font you used is hard to read.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Toks2008(m): 5:27pm On Jan 03, 2016
daproflinks:
if your heart questions anything you do..please leave it

Gbam..

So as long as my heart supports it no issues.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Nine11: 5:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
I disagree with you on this, some dances steps are worldly and sinful by its erotic nature. You must also understand that dance can also be categorize as a non verbal means of communication which passes various kind of messages across to others. So the real question is what kind of message is your dance steps passing? Is it canal, worldly or spiritual?
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by daproflinks: 5:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
Toks2008:

Gbam..

So as long as my heart supports it no issues.
I doubt that because for you to bring it up here means you have questions and wanna hear other peoples opinion
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by zeekz(m): 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
SUGARBEE:
This was really really insightful.. . A dance is kinda an expression of one's self, moving with zero resistance to the body.. I don't see why certain dance steps are seen and tagged as 'unholy'. ..
abeg #leavetrashforlawma Lol, if by ur view no dance step is bad den go and tweak in church na.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by firstking01(m): 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
stano2:
Example?
i knw u wanna ask me to qoute scriptures, bt hey bro, i bet u, there are sm dance steps u can neva dance in church, lets nt pretend asif we dunno here...infact, hit the club u'd undastand wat i'm talkin bouf...need i remind u of sodom and gomora, satanic dancing and robbing their body against that of a womand...guy u knw dis tins.

1 Like

Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Vomm: 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
But why na? Must u comment? U for just speak the normal english wey u hear na,why do u have to turn the yoruba upside down na? If u have written ur WAEC, i am very sure that ur yoruba couldn't be more than F9 but could be less , chai!!!

ademusiwa1e:
:[size=28pt]Se omo ti won pe davido gbo , Yoruba.
Omo to obi, won classify omo nu, as ogun ijoba. Omo nu , won expect to, lati join awon jagun jagun. Ti oruko bere pe nu ade.
Ofi je ki o join jagun jagun. Ati omo re.
Basically eni ti orukan re pe beren pe lu, ade.
Ofi so pe, ogbodu join jagun jagun
Basically ofi make ke compulsory pe gbo gbo awon to oruka won ba bere lati ade.
Won gbo du, join jagun jagun
][/size]
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by lekkie073(m): 5:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
ijo awon to salaro.....
●in cdq's voive
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Tensionstar(m): 5:54pm On Jan 03, 2016
itzmarvyx:
I don't subscribe to people dancing shoki ,etighi, azonto nd all this dance steps in the church.

Dancing is a function of praise you give to God and praise is a sacrifice. A sacrifice can be accepted or rejected. Some of this dance steps whether traditional or not where birthed by satanic influence after all you acknowledge that it didn't originate from the church.

You don't give what was inspired by demons to God OP it won't be acceptable.

Any wonder why the church is becoming more worldly? undecided

You can decide to dance from now till 2mao nd God no go luk ur face.

The spiritual man judges all things OP

Imagine Oyedepo, Kumuyi, Adeboye or any respected man of God dancing shoki...Lol

U're sure David danced azonto...u dy dia?? undecided

this is ma mnd...shoki azonto etc are al inspired by d devil or atleast wordly musiicans under d influence or inspiratn of week...d op is justiifyn what we are coping from d world whn it s supose to be d orda wayrnd
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by firstking01(m): 6:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
Toks2008:

When we dance bata in yorruba,it comes with certain body movement and same way azonto,etigi and many more so when you say satanic i would like to know the type of dance that is satanic...

seductive dance remains wat it is..SEDUCTIVE which ofcourse is a Big No but most of these regular dance steps we see these days are just the regular dance steps but some religion fanatics call them worldly as if they know how they dance in heaven.
i dunno weather ur d op, i didn't look @d posters name...bt pls knw this truth...i'd write it in capital letter...DAVID DID NOT DANCE IN THE FLESH...DAVID WAS LED AND OVERWHELMED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD AT THAT POINT IN TIME...HE WAS NOT HIMSELF, AND THAT'S WHY HE ALMOST WENT NAKED...u see, dats d problm we have todae,,,we'd just embark on a tin without seeking God's face, david was a man who always seeks God's face before he does a tin..dancing is part of giving God praise, no doubt...there's no hw a dance will come frm ur heart that God wnt accept...it's just d society today try to equate d scriptures to their life style which is really very absurd, and a sin before God...mr toks, there's no hw a gal will dance d same way SHE DANCED IN THE CLUB AND IN THE CHURCH...if it's a lie ask d clubers, dats if dey will be truthful to themselves...i draw my submission here..and note dis, dat it's nt in d bible doesn't mean it's nt a sin...buy this truth and sell it nt...Godbessu.smiley

1 Like

Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by misspicy(f): 6:02pm On Jan 03, 2016
stano2:
Example?
twerking undecided

1 Like

Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by misspicy(f): 6:04pm On Jan 03, 2016
Tensionstar:
this is ma mnd...shoki azonto etc are al inspired by d devil or atleast wordly musiicans under d influence or inspiratn of week...d op is justiifyn what we are coping from d world whn it s supose to be d orda wayrnd
inspired by the devil how?
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Hoyehdayg(m): 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
Now, permit me to share my view on this matter...

Kudos to the person who started this thread and I must commend your research on the definition of dance and the Bible verse you quoted.

1. Taking you back to the Bible times, you will agree with me that other nations apart from Israel have dance steps which they use to honour their gods too.

2. Verse 16 of that chapter says that David was leaping and dancing. He wasn't dancing the way the other nations dance. He only danced his usual way BUT with all his might. To do things with one's MIGHT means dancing with all your strength, not dancing the dance steps of other nations.

3. Verse 14 you also quoted says that David wore a LINEN EPHOD which was a SHORT, SLEEVELESS garment worn by priests. This was why Michal was angry that what he wore made him half naked. If he was on his royal robes, it would have been a different case.

God bless us. Let us as Christians be creative and create dance steps that the world will want to copy. REMEMBER! WE ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD not THE WORLD AS THE LIGHT OF CHRISTIANS!

Toks2008:
2 Samuel 6:14: And David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod.

I was in a church last Friday and i gladly danced GODWIN dance moves as well as etigi and it will surprise you how they all looked at me with one funny eyes.

Sometimes i imagine what it feels like to dance with all your might because as a good dancer and one who loves dancing so much,i can't remember anytime in the past where i have danced with all my might.

But the truth is that as Christians, we have allowed timidity of expression before GOD to rob us the privilege of teaching the world great dance steps.

I have been dancing sekem since 1997 and that was my favorite step during praise section that the pastor even wanted to learn that step from me but today if i do that same step, the members will tag me worldly.

Dancing according to Wikipedia is a performance art form consisting of purposefully selected sequences of human movement.

[size=13pt]I do not understand why we should stereotype certain dance steps as worldly and probably some as heavenly because to me, dance is dance and it may even come as a surprise that most of these dance steps these circular artistes give names have always been there from time memorial and many of these dance steps are actually the native dance steps of some people like the etigi dance which is a calabar dance as well as the makossa which is the dance of the duala people in Cameroun.[/size]

David danced with all his might and for such to happen he must have thrown all caution to the wind and must have invented many dance steps like azonto,etigi,galala,shoki,sekem and many more.

Judging from the description of the way king David danced, i can say without any fear of contradiction that im yet to see anyone in any christian gathering danced half the way he did and even more annoying is the way Christians move their body whenever they sing the song "when the spirit of the lord....i will dance like David danced".

My admonition to my fellow Christians is to emancipate ourselves from self imposed perpetual bondage of timidity,lets free ourselves and lets invent new dance steps from the church and not be imitators of dance steps that were re-enacted and renamed by the circular world.

Lets learn to dance at least half the way King David danced.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Vikky014(f): 6:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
How i wish i can Dance cry

Thank God i can play the piano to the Glory of God while nodding my head
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by oshe11: 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
Toks2008:
2 Samuel 6:14: And David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod.

I was in a church last Friday and i gladly danced GODWIN dance moves as well as etigi and it will surprise you how they all looked at me with one funny eyes.

Sometimes i imagine what it feels like to dance with all your might because as a good dancer and one who loves dancing so much,i can't remember anytime in the past where i have danced with all my might.

But the truth is that as Christians, we have allowed timidity of expression before GOD to rob us the privilege of teaching the world great dance steps.

I have been dancing sekem since 1997 and that was my favorite step during praise section that the pastor even wanted to learn that step from me but today if i do that same step, the members will tag me worldly.

Dancing according to Wikipedia is a performance art form consisting of purposefully selected sequences of human movement.

[size=13pt]I do not understand why we should stereotype certain dance steps as worldly and probably some as heavenly because to me, dance is dance and it may even come as a surprise that most of these dance steps these circular artistes give names have always been there from time memorial and many of these dance steps are actually the native dance steps of some people like the etigi dance which is a calabar dance as well as the makossa which is the dance of the duala people in Cameroun.[/size]

David danced with all his might and for such to happen he must have thrown all caution to the wind and must have invented many dance steps like azonto,etigi,galala,shoki,sekem and many more.

Judging from the description of the way king David danced, i can say without any fear of contradiction that im yet to see anyone in any christian gathering danced half the way he did and even more annoying is the way Christians move their body whenever they sing the song "when the spirit of the lord....i will dance like David danced".

My admonition to my fellow Christians is to emancipate ourselves from self imposed perpetual bondage of timidity,lets free ourselves and lets invent new dance steps from the church and not be imitators of dance steps that were re-enacted and renamed by the circular world.

I jst imagined wat U sed wit regards to my pastor standing at d alter and dancing Sjoki, Azonto,Sekem, Makossa etc...... Mehn I LMAO while ROTF. just Imagine The Thing

note: aint saying its bad oooo
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by sammyT6631: 6:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
The last time I was chastised for dancing worldly in the Church. I simply told the guy to remember what happened to the lady abusing David for dancing. She was barren for life

....the guy looked at me and just walked away beating himself.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Toks2008(m): 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
Tensionstar:

see yourself?

please read again.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Bluette(f): 6:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
Ijo ba n jo, ijo ba n jo, ijo ba n jo forisa ma kuku jo folorun.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
End time dance

1 Like

Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by harristo(m): 7:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
itzmarvyx:
I don't subscribe to people dancing shoki ,etighi, azonto nd all this dance steps in the church.

Dancing is a function of praise you give to God and praise is a sacrifice. A sacrifice can be accepted or rejected. Some of this dance steps whether traditional or not where birthed by satanic influence after all you acknowledge that it didn't originate from the church.

You don't give what was inspired by demons to God OP it won't be acceptable.

Any wonder why the church is becoming more worldly? undecided

You can decide to dance from now till 2mao nd God no go luk ur face.

The spiritual man judges all things OP

Imagine Oyedepo, Kumuyi, Adeboye or any respected man of God dancing shoki...Lol

U're sure David danced azonto...u dy dia?? undecided

I concur. One reason is that if people starts dancing shoki ,etighi, azonto and all the rest dance steps in the church, no doubt scenes of them and others doing it in worldly places like night clubs will start entering the minds of people around and the worldly music they were made for will be remembered by most as well.

The church needs to be separated from worldly places, what people do in those places and for worldly music should not be the same as what they do in the church and for christian songs.

In the end all I wrote above could simply be seen as me saying it is ok for people to dance to christian songs, but that the dance should be different from the one thats been ascribed to a worldly music. And when I say worldly music, I actually mean it, as those songs are very worldly.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by cybergeek: 7:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
I think I'll be using music as an illustration here. there are some secular music we christian choose and convert to gospel music(we call it gospel version of such music). the question is what is the essence of singing in church? I guess one of the reasons should be to glorify God, how do we glorify God when we are not connected to him? and I think why we are not connected to him is because of the SOURCE of the music music we are singing. A song is either inspired by God or the devil(no middle ground). in church when we are singing any of Don Moen's song there is this heavenly connection and feeling the song brings to us why? because of its source. It is inspired by God but if we should take this song NO JESUS NO LIFE, gospel version of NO WOMAN NO LIFE by BOB MARLEY do we still have the same feeling? NO, why? its because what comes to your mind at first when you hear the song is BOB MARLEY. Is he a gospel artist? No, is the song a gospel song? No. to cut long story short I don't think you have the same same feeling when singing this songs because of the limitations. I think same is applicable to dance today. dancing shoki in today, there's no how we won't think of the SOURCE. just thinking shaaa....
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Elektra008(f): 7:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
All this people saying one dance is worldly and not for church, abeg, which particular dance originated in the church? Which kind of dance is Holy dance. The truth is that you dance to the glory of God. As long as u r not dancing so dat people will notice you in church or so as to seduce someone, but u r just caught in the atmosphere of worshipping God, brothers and sisters, u r good to go. Shoki, sekem or whatever name dose artistes give to dance r not new, people have been dancing dem before we even heard of dose artists, dance with all your might anyhow you, if odas in the congregation want to judge, let dem take it up with God. Na person wey no know wetin himself dey do, go dey look say anoda man dey dance worldly.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Dhavido(m): 8:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
I understand the feeling. I am a very good dancer and dancing is my favorite hobby and whenever I dance certain steps in church some people will be pointing at me and it's so embarrassing. Now I don't dance in churches, I'll just clap and nod my head but I do dance with all my might in the few parties I attend. Christians can judge someone sha
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Henovy: 8:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
GraceBestowed:
THIS is what I thought of when I saw the previous post asking whether it is wrong to dance freely in the church.

Whenever I am in the presence of God, I have no inhibitions and I give Him my all, this includes my praise in the form of dancing. People can think whatever they want to think. David danced and his wife despised him in her heart because of his expression of praise to God. What did God do? He shut her womb!

With us being intelligent people, we should know HOW to dance in the presence of The Lord. Gyrating and dancing in a sexually provocative manner is a no no and should be saved for the bedroom with your husband/wife not your fellow church goers!
Very correct. Twerking is a worldly dance and should not be found in any church worth it's salt.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by rapmike(m): 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
A Nigerian "Christian" dance is simple: clap once, move an inch to the left, two inches to your right while moving your elbows up and down and then clap again! Lol.
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Topsyvic(f): 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
I luv to dance oo especially wit my b**t smiley
Shoki tinxxxx
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
GraceBestowed:

Okay
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by Toks2008(m): 8:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
rapmike:
A Nigerian "Christian" dance is simple: clap once, move an inch to the left, two inches to your right while moving your elbows up and down and then clap again! Lol.

That is timidity.

What im implying in that write up is that Christians should free themselves and create dance steps that the "world" can mimic.

What if shoki,azonto and the likes started from the church? i guess there wil be no qualms so why do Christians have to wait for the world whatever that means to start a dance step?
Re: That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David. by jearile(m): 8:58pm On Jan 03, 2016
Toks2008:

Two things are involved: Are you dancing to impress or express - only the heart can tell. God is less interested in your dance move than He's interested in a heart of full of thanksgiving expressed through various forms of dance moves. There's a spirit behind that dance - the spirit of God or the spirit of the world. If God is not the one controlling you then definitely something else, known as the prince of this world is controlling you. He (God) only inhabits in the praises of His people.
In nutshell, that you are dancing in the church does not mean you are dancing in the Lord. But when you are dancing in the Lord, your heart controls your moves and your moves are controlled by your expertise (dancing abilities) - shoki, skelewu, azonto, etc. Any good you can offer and refuse to offer is sin - James 4:17; I believe dancing your "dancest", singing your "singest" and clapping your "clappest" is not left out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lockdown: Dunamis Shares Food Items / TB Joshua's Birthday Celebration In South Africa (Photos) / Daddy Freeze: Why My Online Church "Free Nation In Christ Online" Is Different

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.