Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,796 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1005) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4404678 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) (1007) (1008) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:17pm On Jul 22, 2018
Aventures:
Sir, the big boss analysis is not just ordinary theory, that is experience+ applicable theory (not all theories are applicable in the field of play). That type of foundation explained I bet you it can't be found in any textbook or school note. If you are good, you are good. chikenna.
As you progress in this field we come across all manners of challenges, that it is only experience and sound theory background can bail you out. I manage a project recently and Messrs Chekitaut is the procurement contractor, we came across a funny scenario. An old building was a demolished before we commence the new project. Very solid and firm site with appreciable bearing capacity from soil test so we adopted pad footing ( there was raft design and pad footing, cost analysis showed that the pad is cheaper). Along the line during excavation we discover towards the back so many abandoned pit latrines and septic tanks (already decomposed). The fear here was that the decomposition would still continues over years and there by creating a void underneath the foundation, automatically the structure would fail due to undermining.
well, the best thing we taught of was to find a way to take the footing of foundation far beyond the depth of any of the latrines or septic tank. Another challenge was that the site is very tight it was not just easy for us to evacuate the septic tank and latrines and more so we wouldn't know how many of such would be around there, we could only observe 2 or 3.
We came up with option of introducing piles along the grid line where we have that challenge (and that was the last grid) 5 piles was constructed 300 diameter @ 9 meter, 1 meter cube pile caps and 600mm connecting beam all along the 9meter width of the build, then 3 grade beam to connect to the columns from the pad footing of the next g
rid making it to be monolithic.

Now what can we called this kind of foundation: Pad and pile combo.
If I am permitted I will try upload some pucs for further explanations.

sorry for the epistle. I put it up here cos someone may need this knowledge or idea tomorrow. cheers

Nice one, Sir.
I think a lot of us needs such information and pics.
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by itswell1: 10:43pm On Jul 22, 2018
Chekitaut:
Visit Abbey Mortgage Bank. is no worries.
Bro's you harsh oooo.
Good job, no mind all this scammers looking for prey
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Talk2iyfy: 11:41pm On Jul 22, 2018
Please help with realistic estimate. What's the detailed stage by stage cost of building a 4 bedroom duplex (4rooms) with only one parlour and double 2bedroom flat (1 down, 1up) all joined together. How many blocks will it take on the average. We are moulding blocks while waiting for the plan. Total built area is 254sm. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by askmeee: 7:46am On Jul 23, 2018
Talk2iyfy:
Please help with realistic estimate. What's the detailed stage by stage cost of building a 4 bedroom duplex (4rooms) with only one parlour and double 2bedroom flat (1 down, 1up) all joined together. How many blocks will it take on the average. We are moulding blocks while waiting for the plan. Total built area is 254sm. Thanks
bro, there QS here, give them small thing, and they will give u a detailed bill. and u are gud to go

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Phurlareen44(m): 8:26am On Jul 23, 2018
[quote author=abdulwastecx post=37314676]

Your four bedroom flat cost depend on the size of the rooms, finishing and structural members.

What about the Roofing materials?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 9:01am On Jul 23, 2018
With all that i have read here, i appreciate professionalism the more. I see more and more the need to engage professionals....geotechnics,structural engrs,building engrs ...my wife is already worried hearing me talk of a QS, she go shout when she hear this new additions. Her dad gave a contractor his storey building to construct...this person built a block of 4 flats with no staircase. used scaffolds all through. when site owner visited, they had to construct 3 new external staircase....the cost for build another bungalow.

my first building, i was away...apparently someone set foundation without my approved building plan, claimed it was forgotten so "site engr" just "draw plan" on site...........i gave up. For someone like me who looks out for straight tiles, proper stair case measurements....engr draw plan on site choi...front columns bent....planned space in front cant take a car as planned...roofing woodwork higher than planned...

brethren...spend that initial money on professionals and have peace of mind.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 9:52am On Jul 23, 2018
Iruosonobrugwhe:
With all that i have read here, i appreciate professionalism the more. I see more and more the need to engage professionals....geotechnics,structural engrs,building engrs ...my wife is already worried hearing me talk of a QS, she go shout when she hear this new additions. Her dad gave a contractor his storey building to construct...this person built a block of 4 flats with no staircase. used scaffolds all through. when site owner visited, they had to construct 3 new external staircase....the cost for build another bungalow.

my first building, i was away...apparently someone set foundation without my approved building plan, claimed it was forgotten so "site engr" just "draw plan" on site...........i gave up. For someone like me who looks out for straight tiles, proper stair case measurements....engr draw plan on site choi...front columns bent....planned space in front cant take a car as planned...roofing woodwork higher than planned...

Wow!
9ija!

True talk anyways

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:34am On Jul 23, 2018
Aventures:
Sir, the big boss analysis is not just ordinary theory, that is experience+ applicable theory (not all theories are applicable in the field of play). That type of foundation explained I bet you it can't be found in any textbook or school note. If you are good, you are good. chikenna.
As you progress in this field we come across all manners of challenges, that it is only experience and sound theory background can bail you out. I manage a project recently and Messrs Chekitaut is the procurement contractor, we came across a funny scenario. An old building was a demolished before we commence the new project. Very solid and firm site with appreciable bearing capacity from soil test so we adopted pad footing ( there was raft design and pad footing, cost analysis showed that the pad is cheaper). Along the line during excavation we discover towards the back so many abandoned pit latrines and septic tanks (already decomposed). The fear here was that the decomposition would still continues over years and there by creating a void underneath the foundation, automatically the structure would fail due to undermining.
well, the best thing we taught of was to find a way to take the footing of foundation far beyond the depth of any of the latrines or septic tank. Another challenge was that the site is very tight it was not just easy for us to evacuate the septic tank and latrines and more so we wouldn't know how many of such would be around there, we could only observe 2 or 3.
We came up with option of introducing piles along the grid line where we have that challenge (and that was the last grid) 5 piles was constructed 300 diameter @ 9 meter, 1 meter cube pile caps and 600mm connecting beam all along the 9meter width of the build, then 3 grade beam to connect to the columns from the pad footing of the next g

sorry for the epistle. I put it up here cos someone may need this knowledge or idea tomorrow. cheers

Which long epistle?, I enjoyed reading every word as this practical experience will guide others with similar challenges.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:17am On Jul 23, 2018
Aventures:

We are waiting for your pictures & further explanation sir....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:39pm On Jul 23, 2018
abdulwastecx:

The grade beam doesn't require any depth because it is not distributing the load to the soil beneath it but rather to the pad footing via foundation column.

Note: before any work can be done it is standard practice to remove all the top vegetable soil and also have a blinding of at least 50mm for the grade beam
Wellcome back in sharing your knowledge of experience with us here again thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:49pm On Jul 23, 2018
Aventures:

@Aventures long time, I no you’re always busy. Welcome back oh, it’s been awhile we’ve read about you practical experiences on the field, please spare some time to write more about these kind of challenge you guys face on fields and how you resolve them. I personally missed you man.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FADEO: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2018
Malevonent:

i am done with all those, have gotten my building permits, both state n obiakpor, just dont trust the govt soil test, thats why am considering doing another private one, thnks all the same for the heads up

Thank you for the response. Please kindly feed the house back if the result from the Independent Soil test is different from the one recommended by the state government.

Thank you in advance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 8:49pm On Jul 23, 2018
Aventures:

Post pictures Oga
You are permitted. We came to learn (not to eventually build by laymen ourselves, but to understand the basics of what is being done to our building and to "follow" alongside the professionals.

You both are awesome. I confess.
Structures and structural design are your playtools

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 8:55pm On Jul 23, 2018
Iruosonobrugwhe:

Am a living witness
My papa house (built by expert local builders) and mine (built and designed by Engrs and Archi) no be mate for where professional touch dey!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 10:22pm On Jul 23, 2018
ceelog:

Post pictures Oga
You are permitted. We came to learn (not to eventually build by laymen ourselves, but to understand the basics of what is being done to our building and to "follow" alongside the professionals.

You both are awesome. I confess.
Structures and structural design are your playtools
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 10:24pm On Jul 23, 2018
[quote author=Aventures post=69645863][/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 10:28pm On Jul 23, 2018
dear all I am trying to uploads pics but not coming up. I will retry later.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 11:00pm On Jul 23, 2018
3strikes:
Am so excited as this is not the Lastpage grin

It cant be, because you cant have anything beyond the Lastpage. kiss kiss undecided

Congrats to everyone who contributed into making this thread exciting, from the DIY's, to the Professional builders and Contreactors, to the fake Contractors, ot the Fraudsters, to the stubborn advertisers, to the upstarters, to the sycophants, to the Gurus in various fields who teach others 'How it is Done', to the Clients (broken and surviving) and to our various bank accounts that do the online transfers, to and fro!

You all the deserve an appluase and may things COLOURFUL, never leave your lives.

Lastpage!

BTW:
I noticed a general slowdown in activities on this thread, is it boredom, scarcity of resources, lack of enthusiasm or the initial 'awe' is just lost? Abeg o, good times are here again!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:23am On Jul 24, 2018
lastpage:

It cant be, because you cant have anything beyond the Lastpage. kiss kiss undecided

Should I say welcome back, Mr. Lastpage?. Always nice to see your post.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 7:21am On Jul 24, 2018
Getting ready to install this...........................

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:48am On Jul 24, 2018
Aventures:
dear all I am trying to uploads pics but not coming up. I will retry later.

It happens all the time, I couldn't also post pictures yesterday. Try again later in the evening. Good work.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mrinsurer: 10:28am On Jul 24, 2018
Formwork by Fyncorp
Formwork by Fyncorp is an innovative technology for concrete forming and curing.
USES AND APPLICATION
1. Raft foundation
2. Drainage construction
3. Swimming pool construction
4.Underground septic tank construction
5.Culvert and bridge construction
6.Pillars,Columns and
ADVANTAGES
1.Speed: Quickens construction time i.e the formwork can be fixed the same day and concrete poured the same.
2.Cheaper :60% cheaper than conventional wooden formwork i.e no wood,no nail,,no binding wire, no workmanship for carpentry work.
3.Durable:Allows for vibration and compression
4. Neater: No concrete spill,smoother surface when compared to conventional woodwork
RENTAL COST: N3,500 per pair (8ft by 2 ft)
For enquiries contact:
Fycorp Limited
Ajah,Lagos
Email: fyncorp.info@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 10:29am On Jul 24, 2018
spyder880:

It happens all the time, I couldn't also post pictures yesterday. Try again later in the evening. Good work.
Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 11:34am On Jul 24, 2018
Hello, i have seen this claim a few times in different places for this product. how can you proof this?
Can you do a sample cost analysis with a simple work e.g. raft foundation or pillars/columns to support this. This should show cost comparison of this shutter/formwork with conventional 1x2 wood or the newer boards.

I will be interested if only the cost-effectiveness can be proven and believe others will be as well.
i believe there is no doubt about the other advantages (speed and neat finish) but have my doubt about this will be cheaper.

BTW: this is not an "innovative" product/technology going by the true meaning of that word, nice product anyways.

mrinsurer:
Formwork by Fyncorp
Formwork by Fyncorp is an innovative technology for concrete forming and curing.

ADVANTAGES
1.Speed: Quickens construction time i.e the formwork can be fixed the same day and concrete poured the same.
2.Cheaper :60% cheaper than conventional wooden formwork i.e no wood,no nail,,no binding wire, no workmanship for carpentry work.
3.Durable:Allows for vibration and compression
4. Neater: No concrete spill,smoother surface when compared to conventional woodwork
RENTAL COST: N3,500 per pair (8ft by 2 ft)
For enquiries contact:
Fycorp Limited
Ajah,Lagos
Email: fyncorp.info@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:13pm On Jul 24, 2018
desiji:

Please carry us along with pictorial view of the installations. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 4:22pm On Jul 24, 2018
clogogo:
I need some cash , am in need of a money lender.....
Please can you link me up with any good one
it very urgent please
Thanks
Go to business & Investment section... Good luck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 4:41pm On Jul 24, 2018
mufutau55:

Should I say welcome back, Mr. Lastpage?. Always nice to see your post.

Hajji M.

Thanks Hajji M, whatever you say, ...........is said! undecided undecided

l do take a look-in once in awhile to read whatever is trending around here, whenever l can spare the time.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 5:12pm On Jul 24, 2018
megacontrol:
Hello, i have seen this claim a few times in different places for this product. how can you proof this?
Can you do a sample cost analysis with a simple work e.g. raft foundation or pillars/columns to support this. This should show cost comparison of this shutter/formwork with conventional 1x2 wood or the newer boards.

I will be interested if only the cost-effectiveness can be proven and believe others will be as well.
i believe there is no doubt about the other advantages (speed and neat finish) but have my doubt about this will be cheaper.

BTW: this is not an "innovative" product/technology going by the true meaning of that word, nice product anyways.

You hit the nail on the head!
Its very easy to say "I charge #3,500 for 8ft x 2ft and it is cheaper by 60% without backing it up with statistics".

What he should have done is a comparative analysis of the form of:

a.) one 12ft x 1ft board costs say #1,000 (therefore an 8ft x 1ft of it will cost #700)
b.) therefore an 8ft x 2ft of it will cost #1,400 and a pair will cost #2,800.
Let us add additonal #500 for Nails and batons (just for the 8ft x 2ft only), making a total of #3,300.

So, a pair of this iron formwork costs #3,500
A pair of the same size using wood costs #3,300.

How is #3,500 cheaper by 60%, when compared to #3,300? Which kind of Mathematics invented that figure?
60% cheaper, of 3,500 means the wooden option should cost #5,600
........ whic is not true as l have shown above.

From the simple calculation above, we can conclude that it is NOT CHEAPER AT ALL. It is actually costlier.

But it has its own advantages in terms of speed of erection, neatness, e.t.c.

What the proponent of the idea needs to do (l dont think l am saying something ee does not know already but "excessive profiteering built on minimum turnover" seems to be our way of doing business (business model) around here while over there, it is "moderate profiteering built on massive turnovers" ) is to recondier his pricing model.

He may get three people using his product in one month at the current price or he may get thirty people using his product in one month, at a much lower price.
Which model brings in more profit?
Though, which model he prefers, is up to him.

Nuff said.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 6:12pm On Jul 24, 2018
desiji:

I find myself between rock and hard place when it comes to having solar system. I was spending 4000-4600 naira per day on petrol the last timeme I was in Nigeria. I was basically on generator 22-23 hours per day.

My problem is spending between $9500-$11,000 on European solar gadgets or inferior solar system from China or India which won't cost me more than 2 million naira but guaranteed to not hold up for more than few months as read in the available reviews online.

My dilemma is; why should I spend $9500-$11,000 on 8kva solar system on a house I don't even spend more than two weeks in a year? Does it make any sense at all? I'm just not convinced yet.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:21pm On Jul 24, 2018
lastpage:

You hit the nail on the head!
Its very easy to say "I charge #3,500 for 8ft x 2ft and it is cheaper by 60% without backing it up with statistics".

What he should have done is a comparative analysis of the form of:

a.) one 12ft x 1ft board costs say #1,000 (therefore an 8ft x 1ft of it will cost #700)
b.) therefore an 8ft x 2ft of it will cost #1,400 and a pair will cost #2,800.
Let us add additonal #500 for Nails and batons (just for the 8ft x 2ft only), making a total of #3,300.

So, a pair of this iron formwork costs #3,500
A pair of the same size using wood costs #3,300.

How is #3,500 cheaper by 60%, when compared to #3,300? Which kind of Mathematics invented that figure?
60% cheaper, of 3,500 means the wooden option should cost #5,600
........ whic is not true as l have shown above.

From the simple calculation above, we can conclude that it is NOT CHEAPER AT ALL. It is actually costlier.

But it has its own advantages in terms of speed of erection, neatness, e.t.c.

What the proponent of the idea needs to do (l dont think l am saying something ee does not know already but "excessive profiteering built on minimum turnover" seems to be our way of doing business (business model) around here while over there, it is "moderate profiteering built on massive turnovers" ) is to recondier his pricing model.

He may get three people using his product in one month at the current price or he may get thirty people using his product in one month, at a much lower price.
Which model brings in more profit?
Though, which model he prefers, is up to him.

Nuff said.

Lastpage!

Nice analysis sir. It is not cheaper than wooden formwork.
the 8ft x 2ft ( 1.44sqm) will cost an average of N2,500/sqm.

timber form using very sound timber ( 25 x 300 x 3500mm)
cost of timber = 1200/sqm
cost of the strut, braze, nail and binding wire and occasional bamboo brazing = N600
cost of workmanship = N300/sqm
Total cost breakdown = N 2100/sqm ( which is 4,100 per pair ).

At first glance at this two type of formwork, the prefab type looks quite cheaper at least 39% cheaper, but looking deeper into the advantages and disadvantages will give us a clearer picture of which is better.

The prefab formwork:
It is neater and faster than the conventional type of form using timber or wood but can be very difficult to braze when the beam thickness exceed 0.6m (2ft deap beam). when use for raft foundation, it will be difficult to join them verticall and you will need to provide extra brazing in the form of wood and bamboo, this will automatically drive up the price.

it is not that flexible to use for raft or beam fromwork because there are cases where you will need to form a beam that is less than 2.4m (8ft) in length, since you can't easily cut the the form work.

It is difficult to get the joint of the beam or raft formwork done

The wooden/timber form
It is more flexible
It can easily be brazed by batting and bamboo during raft construction.
It can easily be reused for subsequent job like the lintel or the slab/decking during construction

In summary, Timber form will be ideal for custom built home, where the depth of the raft exceed 0.6m (2ft) while the prefab will be ideal for mass housing design where the raft beam is design to be in multiple of 8ft in length, for drainages and other infrastructure project

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) (1007) (1008) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kurupt01, Shady92(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.