Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,894 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1003) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4414495 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:14am On Jul 20, 2018
true2home:
For me ooo, if its not a built-Up area, No thank you. i don't believe in tying money down and i also don't believe in speculative investing. I want to see all my variables and be able to do a full actual profitability analysis before investment my Kobo Kobo. Just my own opinion and strategy. lastly, there is not scarcity in land in that lekki corridor. you will always find land to buy if you are ready. There are land banks in that area to last two more generations. So don't let anybody fool you. If you doubt me, please do go on satellite map and see land everywhere all the way to epe. As built up as Magodo and Omole is today, i know people that bought cheap lands in this two estate as of three years ago. so what are we talking about!

I think it depends on your investment plan.
If u intend to start building immediately, it should be in somewhat built area, but if it is for future sale, getting land in unbuilt area is still good.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dunamix: 7:47am On Jul 20, 2018
n3xt:
Steel goes a long span than timber and as such requires less trusses than wood. And the spacing from truss to truss is wider than wood

Because steel goes a longer span, it does not require joints unlike woods which requires joining of woods to make up the length which is additional weight on itself. Steel can span 40ft. Hardly can we see wood of 18ft or 6m.

In my ongoing project, I have a span on over 11m which cannot be acheived without joining lengths of timbers. Now this joints and braces add up to the overall weight of timbers.

please I need your opinion... I have a long span of about 10m to roof. Due to cost am considering using wooding truss. Pls how can I possibly achieve this. the building is a hall, 22m X 10m dimension. no internal walls. am considering scissor trusses pattern

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 1:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
Tompeters:
Please whats the current price of NIGERIAN PVC and CHINA PVC ceilings per bundle..

I hear there is the one which costs 15000 per bundle and another for 5000 per bundle

Hello
They said that the original is 15,000 while the other one is 4,500 per bundle though I didn't beat price much with them.

Good day all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 2:49pm On Jul 20, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Hello
They said that the original is 15,000 while the other one is 4,500 per bundle though I didn't beat price much with them.

Good day all
Current price here.
10 per bundle
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2018
Pls hajji mufutau in case you want to sell this thread am ready to buy it oo.

Nnaa. joke ool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2018
rotecch77:
Pls hajji mufutau in case you want to sell this thread am ready to buy it oo.
Nnaa. joke ool

Noted. It will go to the highest bidder ni o. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 3:48pm On Jul 20, 2018
Yes We Are!!

Follow us on Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/beyond.lighting/

@beyond.lighting

For regular updates and Video uploads that provide a more realistic multi-view depiction of items.

If its Quality You Desire....We Speak Your Language
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:53pm On Jul 20, 2018
allCopacetic:
Yes We Are!!
PleaseFollow us on Instagram...
@beyond.lighting
For regular updates and Video uploads that provide a more realistic multi-view depiction of items.
If its Quality You Desire....We Speak Your Language

Oga mi. No advertisement here o.... The rules...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 4:03pm On Jul 20, 2018
mufutau55:

Oga mi. No advertisement here o.... The rules...

Hajji M.
Oh, I thought we were free to post links to our pages or projects Sir, and not actual items of sale
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2018
Timtol:

Current price here.
10 per bundle

How do we verify their originality.
If its 5k cheaper and same quality why not supply him. Me I don't sell just enquired on the price for him. If its tiles now.... cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:09pm On Jul 20, 2018
allCopacetic:

Oh, I thought we were free to post links to our pages or projects Sir, and not actual items of sale

Yes. Just links especially when particular items or related are in discussion, no pic advert, etc.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2018
mufutau55:

Yes. Just links especially when particular items or related are in discussion, no pic advert, etc.

Hajji M.
Ohhhh, ok.
Copy that Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by clogogo(m): 6:46pm On Jul 20, 2018
Please Everyone, am not used to this but am really stranded am in need Urgently to finance a project ….
The money is not available, so my family have resulted in mortgaging our property to Fund this project..
Please if you know you can render this Help , Please contact me 09095328942

Property at Songo Ota, value 3times the money needed.
You can place your Interest.

Please it urgently needed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2018
Dunamix:

please I need your opinion... I have a long span of about 10m to roof. Due to cost am considering using wooding truss. Pls how can I possibly achieve this. the building is a hall, 22m X 10m dimension. no internal walls. am considering scissor trusses pattern

A hall of 22m by 10m, wooding truss is not possible without internal partitions. Except of course if there are beams and columns.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2018
Dunamix:

I think wood truss can roof up to a span of 10m sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2018
Dominionng:

A hall of 22m by 10m, wooding truss is not possible without internal partitions. Except of course if there are beams and columns.
I think wood truss can roof up to a span of 10m sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tompeters(m): 9:29pm On Jul 20, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Hello

Good day all

Thank yu sir... I confirmed it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FADEO: 10:38pm On Jul 20, 2018
Good day knowledgable people, I want some clarifications. I carried out soil test to certify the kind of foundation to be done. The result cam out as SBC (Safe Bearing Capacity) is 100KN/m. The recommendation from the result is to have pad Foundation with underground beam but was also stated that Raft Foundation is highly recommended. My civil/structural engineer was of the opinion that i we can have PAD FOUNDATION with Chained underground beam with one board, Continue with 9" block work to 0.9m and then finalize with one board of chained beam before the slab (german floor is casted)

The building involve here is a 5 bedroom duplex.

Please i need opinions on this based on experience.

Thank you all

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 11:00pm On Jul 20, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

How do we verify their originality.
If its 5k cheaper and same quality why not supply him. Me I don't sell just enquired on the price for him. If its tiles now.... cool
Haaa baba, i don't sell PVC sir.
An arc by profession.
I only get bills done from able hands for my clients.
Price might/will change with time and qaulity matters.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Talk2iyfy: 12:08am On Jul 21, 2018
Please help with realistic estimate. What's the detailed stage by stage cost of building a 4 bedroom duplex (4rooms) with only one parlour and double 2bedroom flat (1 down, 1up) all joined together. How many blocks will it take on the average. Total built area is 254sm. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:16am On Jul 21, 2018
FADEO:
Good day knowledgable people, I want some clarifications. I carried out soil test to certify the kind of foundation to be done. The result cam out as SBC (Safe Bearing Capacity) is 100KN/m. The recommendation from the result is to have pad Foundation with underground beam but was also stated that Raft Foundation is highly recommended. My civil/structural engineer was of the opinion that i we can have PAD FOUNDATION with Chained underground beam with one board, Continue with 9" block work to 0.9m and then finalize with one board of chained beam before the slab (german floor is casted)

Thank you all
Aventure(King of civil & structural)
Abdulwastcex(Deputy)
Segzy14(Deputy)

Oga all mentioned above are EoD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:22am On Jul 21, 2018
FADEO:

Thank you all

Your Civil/Structural Engineer is in order.
In the instance where raft is highly recommended , I'd prefer you do a 2 board grade/ground beam, top with 9" blocks and cap with one board chained beam (plinth). You can as well fill your block holes with concrete.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:17am On Jul 21, 2018
Dunamix:

I think it is not that simple to construct. Having a long span10m requires good structural calculations and design to determine all the forces acting on the trusses, the best material to use and the best section to adopt. I don't think our Nigerian timber can span 10m without intermediate support, you will most likely use a steel section and you need a good engineer to design the safest and economic design for the truss

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:25am On Jul 21, 2018
abdulwastecx:

I think it is not that simple to construct. Having a long span10m requires good structural and calculations and design to determine all the forces acting on the trusses, the best material to use and the best section to adopt. I don't our Nigerian timber can design a roof truss spanning 10m without intermediate support, you will most likely use a steel section and you need a good engineer to design the most safest and economic design for the truss
What is the maximum span a timber truss can cover without intermediate support sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:28am On Jul 21, 2018
FADEO:

Thank you all
I don't think there is anything to clarify here sir.
The result is simply stating if u have money go for raft foundation, but if u can't afford it, u go for the pad foundation with underground & capping beam before german floor...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bimpsyyyyy: 9:33am On Jul 21, 2018
Talk2iyfy:
Please help with realistic estimate. What's the detailed stage by stage cost of building a 4 bedroom duplex (4rooms) with only one parlour and double 2bedroom flat (1 down, 1up) all joined together. How many blocks will it take on the average. Total built area is 254sm. Thanks
Inbox me your drawings will give you a detailed cost or whatsapp me on 09069193297

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:53am On Jul 21, 2018
FADEO:

Thank you all

I have gone through the soil test report and here are my observations.
1. soil safe bearing capacity of 100kN/m2 gotten from the soil test report using Terzaghi bearing capacity equation is adequate to carry an isolated pad footings
2. the water level is 3.6m below the existing ground level at the pick of raining reason will have little effect on the settlement pattern of such footing
3. A settlement value of 85mm gotten through the consolidation test is okay for an isolated pad base for the proposed foundation
4. From the soil test, the site was also observed to be above the road level, hence the ground floor level don't need to necessarily be too higher than the NGL. Also, the runoff value shows that the site is not prone to flooding, this also helps to reinforce the need to have a very high ground floor level.
5. Finally, a suitable bearing capacity occurs between 1m to 3m below the NGL, hence the depth of the foundation can be located with this dept (preferable at 1.5m below the NGL)

Here is my conclusion:
To get the most cost-effective and safe foundation,
1. A preliminary load estimation of the superstructure should be carried out to determine the expected superstructure load coming into the foundation through the columns ( this load should also include the ground floor walls)
2. A preliminary area of the pad footings should be estimated, from P/Q (P = unfactored superstructure load, Q= safe bearing capacity)
3. A grade beam of 300mm thick should be proposed to tie/link or the foundation columns at the ground level, this will also help to carry the ground floor walls ( this should be a preliminary depth, which should be subjected to further analysis and design according to relevant codes and literature
4. the foundation level should be raised to not more than 750mm above the ground level since the NGL is already higher than the road level and the site is not prone to flooding. This can be done by adding 2 courses of block to the grade beams and a DPC thickness of 150mm after the two blocks.
5. The depth of the pad footings should be not less than 1.2m, preferably 1.5m below ground level.

Note NGL= natural ground level
DPC = damp proof course/ german floor

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:02am On Jul 21, 2018
Rubbiish:

What is the maximum span a timber truss can cover without intermediate support sir?

I will say it depend on how one wants to use the timber, sir.
Has a truss, if well constructed with all the joints properly done, it can go between 6 to 7m without intermediate support. In this case, you will need to specially design the connections and get them fabricated to the required specification because the connectors are not readily available in commercial quantities in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeycial: 10:33am On Jul 21, 2018
Good morning my people,
I crave for your professional advice on the project attached.
how do I estimate the number of iron rods, planks, bamboo and cement required for decking.
The project is a two bedroom (2 flats)

many thanks

cc
abdulwastecx
Rubbiish
bixton
mufutau55
e. t. c

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by clogogo(m): 10:55am On Jul 21, 2018
Please I Want To Mortgage A Property With The Genuine C Of O for a Loan

Please Everyone, am not used to this but am really stranded am in need Urgently to finance a project ….
The money is not available, so my family have resulted in mortgaging our property to Fund this project..
Please if you know you can render this Help , Please contact me 09095328942

Property at Songo Ota, value 3times the money needed.
You can place your Interest.

Please it urgently needed

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somebody02: 11:01am On Jul 21, 2018
Do
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 12:35pm On Jul 21, 2018
abdulwastecx:

I will say it depend on how one wants to use the timber, sir.
Has a truss, if well constructed with all the joints properly done, it can go between 6 to 7m without intermediate support. In this case, you will need to specially design the connections and get them fabricated to the required specification because the connectors are not readily available in commercial quantities in Nigeria.
Thanks sir.
I asked because i can vividly remember we roofed our church back home up to a span of 9m with timber. & I can also remember the architect telling us wood can cover up to a span of 12m but it will be connected through a special method. Just wanted to know if i was misinformed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1000) (1001) (1002) (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mythy70(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.