Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,774 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:36 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1616) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4481020 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1613) (1614) (1615) (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) ... (3689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 8:03pm On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

That’s the situation right now. We were lucky to get the 200 bags.

Experience has shown me that it’s always better to buy in bulk. It’s safer and cheaper in the long run if you want to avoid cost overrun.

I had to invest in a mobile storage for this cos the cost of building storage facility aren’t cheap too angry

Is the exorbitant increase due to scarcity or increase in raw material? I thought raw material for cement are sourced in Naija, or are the cabals at work again?, Nigeria have become a maffia state and is getting out of control.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:09pm On Sep 15, 2020
rmx:

Not been on this thread for sometime , how u dey

Sadly realized cement prices were up on Friday just as we wanted to cast

Holding up both my projects esp ring road , hopeful of delivery of 900/1200 bags tomorrow at 2700
I bought 2600 in PH saturday, howmuch is it at ur end?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:19pm On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

This is completely true.

I once had issues with my generator. It was not charging the batteries. It was the inverter that showed me that the current supplied by the generator is too low.

The generator was still making the usual noise grin grin

Better soup na money kill am

It might not have been a low voltage issue, it might be a frequency issue. Inverters are sensitive.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 15, 2020
earthrealm:

whatever you do, dont buy mecury inverters, its a pile of horses,h.it. most mecury inverters are modified sine wave, not pure sine wave, spoils inductive loads, like fans, clipper, blender etc.

seems you have a small inverter?. i recommend 3 to 4kva for most family homes.with minimum 4 batts
there is a nifty device you can buy and install in your inverter output, to prevent it being inadvertently overloaded, will post the pic later.i have been using inverters since 2009. none had any serious issue, apart from my elcheapo first inverter 1kva, 25k then, it stopped charging, but still inverts, i added a small charger to it. till i gave it out when i upgraded

Thanks. Was at the verge of paying for this
https://mercurydirect.com.ng/product/mercury-2-4kva-complete-inverter-system-2x-200ah-batteries/

What brand will you recommend?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:34pm On Sep 15, 2020
https://twitter.com/omojuwa/status/1305895312427495425?s=21

Let’s see who hears our warning/joke in there about what happened in 1995 (was it?) cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 8:38pm On Sep 15, 2020
rmx:

Not been on this thread for sometime , how u dey

Sadly realized cement prices were up on Friday just as we wanted to cast

Holding up both my projects esp ring road , hopeful of delivery of 900/1200 bags tomorrow at 2700

I can understand especially with the quantity of cement you’ll need on both. You’ll have to push ring road though because of the formwork sir.

2700 is a good deal.

My contact too will do 2700 (Elephant Cement) to Ibadan but offloading will be paid for separately.

15 - 30 naira per bag depending on how close the store is to the truck.

_____
BrabusNG is n3xt
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 8:42pm On Sep 15, 2020
adanny01:

It might not have been a low voltage issue, it might be a frequency issue. Inverters are sensitive.

You’re right sir. Up till moment, one of my generator don’t work with the inverter.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 8:43pm On Sep 15, 2020
erico2k2:

I bought 2600 in PH saturday, howmuch is it at ur end?

Ibadan 2900 as at yesterday.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:48pm On Sep 15, 2020
BrabusNG:

Ibadan 2900 as at yesterday.
wow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 8:51pm On Sep 15, 2020
erico2k2:

wow
I actually paid 3k per bag to deliver 200 to site to keep the project going. We already run out of stock when the price increase occurred.

Tbh, Nigeria is something else.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 8:56pm On Sep 15, 2020
Thenext:
My oga, I have an upcoming project to be commenced soon and similar to the earlier posted, though mine is 4 bedroom duplex with 3 bedroom flat.

The total land measured 650sqm while the building area is 350sqm. Please like how much i should budget for this project from - Blinding, Foundation Wall, DPC, Ground Floor Blockwork to Columns/Lintels to make it ready for decking.

NOTE: Location is lagos(mainland) and the land is dry.

Thanks in advance.
CC
rotech77
Dennis 3D

Before now Budget - 5.5m - 6m.
With the exchange rate and market forces now.
Budget between 6m - 7.5m currently
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 8:57pm On Sep 15, 2020
rotecch77:

To get real fact figure building plan is necessary here.
But to safe time and since you only needs Likely cost here we go.

Things to consider
- Rapid increment in cost of materials presently
- your site location (mainland) a lot of street urchin (omo-aye) demanding payment from all angle.
-Size of the building.

Based on experience you can budget btw 3-3.5m for the foundation
Then budget 2-2.3m for the block work to the decking stage.

Correct.
Realistic.
As if I saw this before writing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sodeeq1997: 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2020
Property for sale @elebu area, oluyole extension ibadan ....... DM for more details please.........08105104826

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by loffers(m): 9:14pm On Sep 15, 2020
omanzo02:

Is the exorbitant increase due to scarcity or increase in raw material? I thought raw material for cement are sourced in Naija, or are the cabals at work again?, Nigeria have become a maffia state and is getting out of control.

I think it's mere speculation by the dealers, made payment for 200bags today at N2,600 per bag in Abuja.

The dealer said she got goods yesterday but not selling them for now, expecting another truck by tomorrow.
After much persuasion, she agreed to sell at N2,700 per bag just for me or wait for new deliveries
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:25pm On Sep 15, 2020
rationalmind:

Thanks. Was at the verge of paying for this
https://mercurydirect.com.ng/product/mercury-2-4kva-complete-inverter-system-2x-200ah-batteries/

What brand will you recommend?

Thank you for the laugh o. This guy is crazy well well.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adeoba10(m): 9:27pm On Sep 15, 2020
Hello, please kindly help me. This was the quotation i got for my 3bedroom flat.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 9:39pm On Sep 15, 2020
BrabusNG:

I can understand especially with the quantity of cement you’ll need on both. You’ll have to push ring road though because of the formwork sir.

2700 is a good deal.

My contact too will do 2700 (Elephant Cement) to Ibadan but offloading will be paid for separately.

15 - 30 naira per bag depending on how close the store is to the truck.

_____
BrabusNG is n3xt

Exactly . because of the marine board , actually told the engineer to go ahead if they could get 300/400 thru his own source on Saturday to do the casting over the weekend , no luck

Positive they will get supply tomorrow or next

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 9:47pm On Sep 15, 2020
Focusmind:

This is a typical Victorian castle. Very common in England/Ireland and other parts of Europe. It is not a rocket science. The issue will be on the landscaping as landscape architecture is a scarce profession in Nigeria. But I think if well motivated, Brabus or Skimanski may make it happen. The carpet grass on the walls are easily found here as I planted it near my fence wall and they are circulating already. Though It does take time to cover the whole area.

That is Georgian Architecture

The beauty of those house are the symmetrical windows, grand entrances, the arches, columns, high ceilings, and the architectural ornaments.

Not something I really like but it’s something that can be achieved if the motivation is right.

_______
By the way, Skimanski na baba grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:58pm On Sep 15, 2020
rotecch77:

Actually stir way are charge differently to sir time consuming, A stir way of only 12-15sqm can take a good tiler 2days to finish it up
If it’s room or other open floor space he can cover btw 30-40sqm in a day.

But your power of negotiation is the key to the said amount from your tiles but something in Region of 25-30k is good. That is if he is give good finishings job.

Back to the tiles to be used, I will say use what your budget capture that will also give good looking to your building and stand the test of time.

Here are some work our firm handle in the past and present.

The 3 roll track ( the wooden colour) is more costly A meter square cost 7500 (Italian/ Spanish)

The second pics with stainless edge cover is size 30*30 Spanish N4000 per meter

Thank you my brother. You have indeed educated me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shady92(m): 10:05pm On Sep 15, 2020
Wow lovely design
GoodFaith:

I am doing two flats of
One living, one bedroom, kitchen, toilet
It will cost me about 3 to 4 millions
Roof and pop likely cost 1.2 to 1.4 millions
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Focusmind: 10:28pm On Sep 15, 2020
BrabusNG:

That is Georgian Architecture

The beauty of those house are the symmetrical windows, grand entrances, the arches, columns, high ceilings, and the architectural ornaments.

Not something I really like but it’s something that can be achieved if the motivation is right.

_______
By the way, Skimanski na baba grin grin

The guy seems to have disappeared. I don't see his thread again. You would love that type of architecture when modified to the present like the Windsor Castle in England. There is a hotel being built in PH with that type of architecture. Gothic cathedral design with gigantic corinthian pillars. May be only royals and men of Noble birth will be visiting the hotel. It looks so magnificent and imposing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2020
Focusmind:

The guy seems to have disappeared. I don't see his thread again. You would love that type of architecture when modified to the present like the Windsor Castle in England. There is a hotel being built in PH with that type of architecture. Gothic cathedral design with gigantic corinthian pillars. May be only royals and men of Noble birth will be visiting the hotel. It looks so magnificent and imposing.

Skimanski told me he is on Instagram now.
I dont do Instagram, so I never visited him.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 11:00pm On Sep 15, 2020
mobileboy:

please builders and engineers in the house, I'm still looking for answer

The Land is not too small, with the help of a good architect you can still achieve your dream, but you will have to prepare to take care of the LASBCA officials, because of the statutory setbacks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SurveyorGeo: 11:07pm On Sep 15, 2020
mobileboy:
Do I need to perfect the title of a land I bought after contract of sale and deed of agreement

the land already have C of O

Yes sir, it is better done because the c of o was not done in your name
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 2:51am On Sep 16, 2020
SurveyorGeo:

The Land is not too small, with the help of a good architect you can still achieve your dream, but you will have to prepare to take care of the LASBCA officials, because of the statutory setbacks.

Does it really worth it?

I know someone in this space whose structure was eventually demolished after 5 years.

They did this right before him when government decided to clamp down on illegal structures.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 2:52am On Sep 16, 2020
Focusmind:

This is a typical Victorian castle. Very common in England/Ireland and other parts of Europe. It is not a rocket science. The issue will be on the landscaping as landscape architecture is a scarce profession in Nigeria. But I think if well motivated, Brabus or Skimanski may make it happen. The carpet grass on the walls are easily found here as I planted it near my fence wall and they are circulating already. Though It does take time to cover the whole area.

I really admire folks that have carpet grass around their house...bravo!!
.but my gosh that carpet grass around the house gives me goose bumps, I can't stand them.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 2:56am On Sep 16, 2020
Badgers14:

I really admire folks that have carpet grass around their house...bravo!!
.but my gosh that carpet grass around the house gives me goose bumps, I can't stand them.. grin grin

Maybe you can try carpet vegetable grin

During the lockdown, I replaced some flowers with veggies.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 2:58am On Sep 16, 2020
BrabusNG:

Maybe you can try carpet vegetable grin

During the lockdown, I replaced some flowers with veggies.

That one day..

I just don't like anything creeping, vegetables, animals, etc. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 3:03am On Sep 16, 2020
Focusmind:

I give it to the Easterners. They’re doing great in architecture and construction. And of course, quality builds.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 3:47am On Sep 16, 2020
Abolarin91:
To the bolded part; I 100% cocor!
Last week, two person called me from nairaland and they never make enquiry from me on nairaland. "Hello, I got your contact on nairaland,..." Mr. Akin and Arc. Fola

I do not intend to respond to this but let me share something with you. I hope it add value. It’s not the regular “don’t take XYZ serious” beer parlour post grin

This is a faceless forum. It’s not WWE Arena. It’s filled with different kinds of people from different background.

A smart businessman don’t have any preference when choosing his customers. Instead, he learn how to adjust and manage different types of people and emotions. He’s not in a conquest grin

Some customers are silent while others are vocal. Your job is to serve them and deliver a good job.

I once asked an architect here to go and attend to one of my projects as I can’t commit to new projects due to extremely busy schedule.
He had discussions with the client but because the client don’t know how to express himself very well and he’s a novice in design and architecture, he went to design a bungalow for him.

When I asked him the reason for this, he said the environment does not worth committing too much resource and I doubt the client can do much. undecided

I stepped in and designed a massive duplex for the same client in the same environment, upgrade some features in the area (change the electricity poles, installed solar streetlights, introduce new fence design to the small community, did earth road etc) and the project attracted even far more bigger projects into the area.

Your next big client might be a loud mouth or an introvert. Your job is to serve him and not to size him up.

Be a smart business guy! This is not a beer parlour joint where you throw shades at people. Everyone here is a potential customer.

I hope you got value!

______
The architect in question is on this platform. He knew the project I’m talking about because I’ve shared it repeatedly here.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 4:32am On Sep 16, 2020
SurveyorGeo:

Yes sir, it is better done because the c of o was not done in your name

It’s like buying/driving a registered car without change of ownership.

You know you bought the car and own it. The law does not know that until you do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrabusNG: 4:44am On Sep 16, 2020
rmx:

Exactly . because of the marine board , actually told the engineer to go ahead if they could get 300/400 thru his own source on Saturday to do the casting over the weekend , no luck

Positive they will get supply tomorrow or next

We are coming for “our money” o grin

Oyo state is truly blessed. There are fewer reported cases of land issues and omo-onile wahala.

I paid 1.5m to the omo-oniles to start work on a project that’s less than 5% of your project in Lagos.

Wishing you good success and a great weather.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1613) (1614) (1615) (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) ... (3689) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: folmus and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.