Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,281 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1614) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4431433 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) (1615) (1616) (1617) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 10:09am On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

I honestly didn’t consider that possibility.

My current build (personal) have an existing foundation that has been sandfilled and compacted. We just made few modifications, introduce starter columns in some critical areas and proceed to DPC.

How does the starter columns work??

Do they have to dig the foundation again??

Cos i had this kind of issue and the Engineer is saying we should just do a german floor and we would be find to start up.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 10:41am On Sep 15, 2020
Greetings experts and enthusiasts.

Please I need information and advice on staircase.

I have been discussing with my tiler.
He wants to charge the staircase differently. He first mentioned 40k to my shock.

Its a small duplex (4bdr) and the width of the stairs is roughly 1.2meter.

1. Could anyone help me estimate the sqm of the stairs? A range is okay...maybe from your experience.

2. He thinks we should use normal 60 by 60 tiles (or common ones) but cut them to shape and mix the design. What do you think? Go straight for longer tiles? Cost is a bit of an issue.

3. I would prefer the tiles with those 3 friction markings but he says that's expensive that I should go for tiles and add the metal edge trim. Any advice to make a good choice?

I will be glad to get feedback soon...the process is to be started this weekend.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 10:42am On Sep 15, 2020
Shady92:
Bosses in the house,please is it possible for me to build a 3bedroom bungalow and a unit of 1 bedroom apartment on a 50 by 100 plot of land. I want to build 1room apartment now then later I will build the 3bedroom bungalow
Sure, it's possible, just tht the 1 bedroom bungalow will be of minimal size. All should be planned b4 u commence erection.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shady92(m): 10:43am On Sep 15, 2020
Thanks boss. Really appreciate it.
uncleteeh:

Sure, it's possible, just tht the 1 bedroom bungalow will be of minimal size. All should be planned b4 u commence erection.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:45am On Sep 15, 2020
Shady92:
Bosses in the house,please is it possible for me to build a 3bedroom bungalow and a unit of 1 bedroom apartment on a 50 by 100 plot of land. I want to build 1room apartment now then later I will build the 3bedroom bungalow

Very possible. Have an Architect do a site visit, verify the measurement of the land and stake out the perimeters before you start digging.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:46am On Sep 15, 2020
Thenext:
My oga, I have an upcoming project to be commenced soon and similar to the earlier posted, though mine is 4 bedroom duplex with 3 bedroom flat.

The total land measured 650sqm while the building area is 350sqm. Please like how much i should budget for this project from - Blinding, Foundation Wall, DPC, Ground Floor Blockwork to Columns/Lintels to make it ready for decking.

NOTE: Location is lagos(mainland) and the land is dry.

Thanks in advance.
CC
rotech77
Dennis 3D

Based on the attached, we used:

Foundation Work

60 tons of Granite (up to DPC level)
3 Sharp Sand (20 tons)
27 trips of filling sand
16 lengths of 16mm for the starter column
8 dozen of 7 by 7 ring (10mm)
15 lengths of 12mm for column base
1 ton of 10mm rod (DPC)
20kg DPM
1/2 bundle of binding wire
1850 blocks (due to the topography of the land)
110 bags of cement (all ground works incldg DPC)
30 pcs of 1 x 12 planks
First fix pipe work (mechanical)

Labour Rates (Foundation only)

Sandfilling 3,500 per trip
All ground works (Excavation, Blinding, Block Work, Iron Works, Formwork, Surface Treatment, DPC casting) - 440,000

Budget: N2.5m for the foundation work (minimum)

Ground Floor (to first floor slab level)

3700 blocks (Headroom is 3.5m in some room)
80 bags of cement
30 tons of sharp sand
15 tons of granite
40 lengths of 16mm rod (1 length divided to 3 pcs)
27 dozen of 7 x 7 ring (10mm) for lintels/columns
**Formwork was rented at this stage.
Rough-in pipe work (Mechanical)

Labour Rate (Ground Floor only)
All works (Block work, Carpentary, Iron Work, Casting) - 380,000
Formwork Rental - 150k

Budget: N1.8m for this stage of work (minimum)
_____
Note:

- Blocks were produced at this stage by NextHome onsite at N150 per block (using stonedust)

- Formwork rented was also used during the slabwork. Total amount spent on Formwork Rental (including slab and upper floor) on the project is 520k

- Due to the slope, the foundation depth is 1.6m deep in some area and 1m deep in others.

- Building size is less than 260sqm so I encourage you to keep some change in reserve.

Pic 1&2: Foundation Work
Pic 3&4: Formwork installation (before and after casting)

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:52am On Sep 15, 2020
ceelog:

He wants to charge the staircase differently. He first mentioned 40k to my shock.

1. Could anyone help me estimate the sqm of the stairs? A range is okay...maybe from your experience.

2. He thinks we should use normal 60 by 60 tiles (or common ones) but cut them to shape and mix the design. What do you think? Go straight for longer tiles? Cost is a bit of an issue.

3. I would prefer the tiles with those 3 friction markings but he says that's expensive that I should go for tiles and add the metal edge trim. Any advice to make a good choice?

I will be glad to get feedback soon...the process is to be started this weekend.

Thanks

One quick thing.

It grinds my gears to have overbearing artisans. The job of any artisan is to help you conceive your dream and to stay within the approval guidelines.

Use the tile that will give you and your family joy in YOUR HOUSE long after the artisan is gone.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:55am On Sep 15, 2020
temi4fash:

How does the starter columns work??

Do they have to dig the foundation again??

Cos i had this kind of issue and the Engineer is saying we should just do a german floor and we would be find to start up.

Are you building a bungalow?

If NO, do the correction now before it’s too late.

It’s not important if your engineer has ascertain the integrity of the existing column or if you’re maintaining the existing design.

This is how to unload an existing column and introduce a new one if important.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:36am On Sep 15, 2020
Thenext:
My oga, I have an upcoming project to be commenced soon and similar to the earlier posted, though mine is 4 bedroom duplex with 3 bedroom flat.

The total land measured 650sqm while the building area is 350sqm. Please like how much i should budget for this project from - Blinding, Foundation Wall, DPC, Ground Floor Blockwork to Columns/Lintels to make it ready for decking.

NOTE: Location is lagos(mainland) and the land is dry.

Thanks in advance.
CC
rotech77
Dennis 3D

To get real fact figure building plan is necessary here.
But to safe time and since you only needs Likely cost here we go.

Things to consider
- Rapid increment in cost of materials presently
- your site location (mainland) a lot of street urchin (omo-aye) demanding payment from all angle.
-Size of the building.

Based on experience you can budget btw 3-3.5m for the foundation
Then budget 2-2.3m for the block work to the decking stage.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 15, 2020
Shady92:

We can do a design for you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 11:40am On Sep 15, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

One quick thing.

It grinds my gears to have overbearing artisans. The job of any artisan is to help you conceive your dream and to stay within the approval guidelines.

Use the tile that will give you and your family joy in YOUR HOUSE long after the artisan is gone.

I agree with you Sir...but I kind of made him aware of my cost consciousness, so that's why he comes with such advice. But I want you guys to help with the pros and cons if there are any.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:58am On Sep 15, 2020
ceelog:

Thanks

Actually stir way are charge differently to sir time consuming, A stir way of only 12-15sqm can take a good tiler 2days to finish it up
If it’s room or other open floor space he can cover btw 30-40sqm in a day.

But your power of negotiation is the key to the said amount from your tiles but something in Region of 25-30k is good. That is if he is give good finishings job.

Back to the tiles to be used, I will say use what your budget capture that will also give good looking to your building and stand the test of time.

Here are some work our firm handle in the past and present.

The 3 roll track ( the wooden colour) is more costly A meter square cost 7500 (Italian/ Spanish)

The second pics with stainless edge cover is size 30*30 Spanish N4000 per meter

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Thenext: 12:23pm On Sep 15, 2020
My oga well appreciated. I am just trying to gather data before embarking on the journey so as to have a smooth ride.

n3xt:

Based on the attached, we used:

Foundation Work

60 tons of Granite (up to DPC level)
3 Sharp Sand (20 tons)
27 trips of filling sand
16 lengths of 16mm for the starter column
8 dozen of 7 by 7 ring (10mm)
15 lengths of 12mm for column base
1 ton of 10mm rod (DPC)
20kg DPM
1/2 bundle of binding wire
1850 blocks (due to the topography of the land)
110 bags of cement (all ground works incldg DPC)
30 pcs of 1 x 12 planks
First fix pipe work (mechanical)

Labour Rates (Foundation only)

Sandfilling 3,500 per trip
All ground works (Excavation, Blinding, Block Work, Iron Works, Formwork, Surface Treatment, DPC casting) - 440,000

Budget: N2.5m for the foundation work (minimum)

Ground Floor (to first floor slab level)

3700 blocks (Headroom is 3.5m in some room)
80 bags of cement
30 tons of sharp sand
15 tons of granite
40 lengths of 16mm rod (1 length divided to 3 pcs)
27 dozen of 7 x 7 ring (10mm) for lintels/columns
**Formwork was rented at this stage.
Rough-in pipe work (Mechanical)

Labour Rate (Ground Floor only)
All works (Block work, Carpentary, Iron Work, Casting) - 380,000
Formwork Rental - 150k

Budget: N1.8m for this stage of work (minimum)
_____
Note:

- Blocks were produced at this stage by NextHome onsite at N150 per block (using stonedust)

- Formwork rented was also used during the slabwork. Total amount spent on Formwork Rental (including slab and upper floor) on the project is 520k

- Due to the slope, the foundation depth is 1.6m deep in some area and 1m deep in others.

- Building size is less than 260sqm so I encourage you to keep some change in reserve.

Pic 1&2: Foundation Work
Pic 3&4: Formwork installation (before and after casting)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Thenext: 12:24pm On Sep 15, 2020
Thank you sir oga roteccch77.

rotecch77:

To get real fact figure building plan is necessary here.
But to safe time and since you only needs Likely cost here we go.

Things to consider
- Rapid increment in cost of materials presently
- your site location (mainland) a lot of street urchin (omo-aye) demanding payment from all angle.
-Size of the building.

Based on experience you can budget btw 3-3.5m for the foundation
Then budget 2-2.3m for the block work to the decking stage.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:30pm On Sep 15, 2020
Thenext:
My oga well appreciated. I am just trying to gather data before embarking on the journey so as to have a smooth ride.

Just like rotecch77 advised above, kindly set aside N5 - N5.5m for the project (foundation to first floor slab level)

God is your strength!

______
You also need to work with the locals (mouthed ones grin) to manage the mainland boys. Their own percentage is non-negotiable.

My eyes see a lot in Bariga and Akoka
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:41pm On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

Just like rotecch77 advised above, kindly set aside N5 - N5.5m for the project (foundation to first floor slab level)

God is your strength!

______
You also need to work with the locals (mouthed ones grin) to manage the mainland boys. Their own percentage is non-negotiable.

My eyes see a lot in Bariga and Akoka

Those guys no get chill at all, anytime. “ owo-wa-daa”
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:46pm On Sep 15, 2020
rotecch77:

The 3 roll track ( the wooden colour) is more costly A meter square cost 7500 (Italian/ Spanish)

The second pics with stainless edge cover is size 30*30 Spanish N4000 per meter

60*60 Spanish is how much now sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2020
rotecch77:

Those guys no get chill at all, anytime. “ owo-wa-daa”

The small boy, lipsrsealed sorry senior man terrorizing akoka is not up to 20 year old. He’s not up to 1.5m but they dread him so much.

Honestly, Lagos is blessed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:58pm On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

The small boy, lipsrsealed sorry senior man terrorizing akoka is not up to 20 year old. He’s not up to 1.5m but they dread him so much.

Honestly, Lagos is blessed.

Imagine..just 20yrs old
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:01pm On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

60*60 Spanish is how much now sir?

60* 120 is btw 6800-7200 now
60*60 btw 4400-4800

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Shady92(m): 1:02pm On Sep 15, 2020
Thanks boss. But how much do you think will complete 1bedroom flat with two toilet from start to finish
EgunMogaji2:

Very possible. Have an Architect do a site visit, verify the measurement of the land and stake out the perimeters before you start digging.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:07pm On Sep 15, 2020
rotecch77:

60* 120 is btw 6800-7200 now
60*60 btw 4400-4800

Price per sqm? Abi an per pcs grin?

For all it’s worth, the prices are not bad at all. Make I calculate my total sqm sharp sharp.

You can/will always tell/know the difference.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 1:15pm On Sep 15, 2020
oseiwe:

kindly assist see if this looks OK, I want to give the go ahead. any modifications?

pic isn't attaching.

*This estimation is for 2bedroom and 4bedroom duplex to decking level*

2500pcs of blocks (200 * 2500) = *#500,000*
60bags of cement (2700 * 60) = *#162,000*
15tonnes of granite = *#85,000*
20tonnes of sharp sand = *#60,000*
20tonnes of soft sand = *#50,000*
Half tonne of 12mm iron = *#130,000*
*Iron for decking* �
8pcs of 16mm iron (4,800 * cool = *#38,400*
20lenghts of 10mm iron = *#44,000*
1 roll of binding wire = *#8,000*
*Planks for pillar and linted*�
50pcs if planks (1400 * 50) = *#70,000*
1bag of nail = *#6,000*
Workmanship = *#350,000*
*For pegging* �
6pcs of somi planks (1400 * 6) = 8400*
Cutting of some planks (200 * 6) = *1200*
2 bundle of Peggy wood (2500 *2) = *#5000*
Nail = *3,000*
*Total = #1,521,4000*
/
By mere looking at the quotation, I can read the mind of the engineer.

1. Get you to commit and get started. Then you will see how far the materials get you. Na for your face e go happen.

OR.

2. He has a direct link with your village people. They want you to abandon the project half way.

N.B: Substructure alone will chop a lot of the materials listed.
/

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Moda1: 1:38pm On Sep 15, 2020
Well captured.when i saw the quote, i knew instantly that the quote above wont get him close to his target but let him start first and see things for himself
InvertedHammer:

/
By mere looking at the quotation, I can read the mind of the engineer.

1. Get you to commit and get started. Then you will see how far the materials get you. Na for your face e go happen.

OR.

2. He has a direct link with your village people. They want you to abandon the project half way.

N.B: Substructure alone will chop a lot of the materials listed.
/

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:54pm On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

Price per sqm? Abi an per pcs grin?

For all it’s worth, the prices are not bad at all. Make I calculate my total sqm sharp sharp.

You can/will always tell/know the difference.

Per meter square

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 1:59pm On Sep 15, 2020
Good day sir, pls I have been having problem creating links for my thread in this nairaland. Pls how do I go about it, I have tried several times
gbadexy:
Happy birthday @ michilin.
Discerning minds appreciate those providing different perspective to issues and enlightening people to make better informed decisions.
I pray things work out better for you here. I'm following you keenly and wish to business with you.
I understand where you're coming from and I can relate. The best we could do for a determined person trying to legitimately better there lot is to encourage them.
I'm aware many could afford to pay double for my products without flinching but they patronise and refer families, friends and acquaintances out of the need to show support.
Meanwhile here is a link to the internal painting of the screeded and painting thread of a prominent member of this thread.
He was given an outrageous quote for the screeding and I offered to do it for almost half and some Godsent members gave support.

https://www.nairaland.com/4783553/wall-screeding-ready-mix-putty
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 2:20pm On Sep 15, 2020
Abolarin91:
Good day sir, pls I have been having problem creating links for my thread in this nairaland. Pls how do I go about it, I have tried several times
I hope I'm able to explain it properly.
Go to the address bar where www.nairaland.etc appears when you are on your thread. Copy that address. That's the link to the thread.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abolarin91(m): 2:22pm On Sep 15, 2020
To the bolded part; I 100% cocor!
Last week, two person called me from nairaland and they never make enquiry from me on nairaland. "Hello, I got your contact on nairaland,..." Mr. Akin and Arc. Fola [quote author=mrsteel post=93877702]
My brother seems u are new to this thread?
Can u stop wasting your time on those two empty things? Do not let what they say move u oo. They are full of mouth! Continue marketing your work, those that will patronise will do so. Don't waste your time trying to convince engunmoaji & brabus(next), they have nothing to offer u. If u were here when this thread started, u would know those two! If u like, continue wasting your time on them, na u sabi.

[b]Those that patronize vendors here don't make noise about it! [/[/b]quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by temi4fash(m): 2:41pm On Sep 15, 2020
n3xt:

Are you building a bungalow?

If NO, do the correction now before it’s too late.

It’s not important if your engineer has ascertain the integrity of the existing column or if you’re maintaining the existing design.

This is how to unload an existing column and introduce a new one if important.

We are not maintaining the same design.

The exisitng design is 2 flats of 3 bedroon each,but we want to change it 4 room and parlor self contain.

And it is a storey building, said something that all the pillars are in the right places we would just introduce new pillars in some few places.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:44pm On Sep 15, 2020
temi4fash:

We are not maintaining the same design.

The exisitng design is 2 flats of 3 bedroon each,but we want to change it 4 room and parlor self contain.

And it is a storey building, said something that all the pillars are in the right places we would just introduce new pillars in some few places.

You’re covered!

More internal partitions, better support. Well done!

When should I come and collect “egunje” grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:45pm On Sep 15, 2020
Shady92:
Thanks boss. But how much do you think will complete 1bedroom flat with two toilet from start to finish

I’m not really sure but I built this 2 bedroom, 3 bath and 1 bedroom, 2 bath joined flat for approximately N1.8M including land to this level. I think another N2M will finish it.

Good luck.

https://www.nairaland.com/6094830/building-attached-2-bedroom-1#93539220

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PuZZyNegro: 2:53pm On Sep 15, 2020
Who can help me build this type of house in Imo state. It's urgent grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1611) (1612) (1613) (1614) (1615) (1616) (1617) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.