Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,689 members, 7,844,268 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4462088 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (3684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Xzevian(m): 10:38pm On Sep 18, 2015
FastShipping:
^^^^

Good one. How wide is this gate? I am gunning for a 17ft open gate.

HERE IS THE ONE DESIGNED FOR ME LAST WEEK.
well done! it look nice. I Will take time to check your site out next week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 18, 2015
FastShipping:
^^^^

It's 14 feet, I wanted 16 feet (10 and 6 feet leaves) but nobody could make it in my short time frame.

At 14feet I'll manage it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 18, 2015
FastShipping:
^^^^

Very nice. Hopefully in the future when I've climatized to the area I can then step down from DEFCON1 and redo my gate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 18, 2015
FastShipping:

Let your gate be 20ft high, closed with no view from outside, and your fence be 20ft high, nothing will stop a thief/armed robbers from entering your house. Robbers entering bank premises that are fortified with fence, and mobile police not to talk of homes. I don't see fence and gate as security at all.

A house with an open gate should feel more secure than a house with a sealed gate because an open gate allows everyone in the neighborhood to see any break-in attempt while a house with a sealed gate is more prone to robbery without neighbors knowing. If anyone jumps into my compound, my neighbors and passers-by should see what is going on in my compound.

Fence and gates have no deterrence to robbery. FACT!

On the flip side, my Dobermans could be having all sorts of fun with would be robbers without the neighbors rescuing them since they can't see them grin

On a serious note, my fence/gate is to protect my neighbors from me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 18, 2015
Dangote 42.5r @ N1,500 in my area today, ordered 50, need 50. Wish I had storage for more but my seller said she forsee even lower prices.

Friends, my budgeting joy is boundless cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:46pm On Sep 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Dangote 42.5r @ N1,500 in my area today, ordered 50, need 50. Wish I had storage for more but my seller said she forsee even lower prices.

God bless you with this info. Last night, I told my cousin who normally supply me cement that cement is cheap now. He thinks I don't know what is going on outside because I always pay him 2,000 per bag when he has always been selling to me at 1,900 with 100 naira tip per bag. To my surprise this morning, he told me cement is 1,800 per bag now and only Dangote selling at 1,800 naira per bag. So to him, cement is only down by 100 naira. The guy is a thief. He knows I prefer Elephant cement, so he is still trying to tell me only Dangote selling it at 1,800 still and Elephant cement still selling at 1900 naira. I will get a Nairalander to supply me 250 bags first week in November.

The guy thinks he can keep ripping me off. He won't let anyone else supply materials to my site. He once warned a nairalander to stay away from the site and never to accept money from me to supply granite because he knows how to supply granite too. grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:49pm On Sep 18, 2015
Xzevian:
well done! it look nice. I Will take time to check your site out next week.

How is your family? Sorry I haven't contacted you in a while for granite. The guy who was giving you problem last time won't let me give you another granite supply. He just supplied some granite and stone dust. I promise you next time, he won't supply anything to me because he messed up already.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:53am On Sep 19, 2015
FastShipping:

God bless you with this info. Last night, I told my cousin who normally supply me cement that cement is cheap now. He thinks I don't know what is going on outside because I always pay him 2,000 per bag when he has always been selling to me at 1,900 with 100 naira tip per bag. To my surprise this morning, he told me cement is 1,800 per bag now and only Dangote selling at 1,800 naira per bag. So to him, cement is only down by 100 naira. The guy is a thief. He knows I prefer Elephant cement, so he is still trying to tell me only Dangote selling it at 1,800 still and Elephant cement still selling at 1900 naira. I will get a Nairalander to supply me 250 bags first week in November.

The guy thinks he can keep ripping me off. He won't let anyone else supply materials to my site. He once warned a nairalander to stay away from the site and never to accept money from me to supply granite because he knows how to supply granite too. grin grin

Me, I found out that Elephant is always N50 less than 42.5r. Elephant was N1,450 yesterday while Dangote was N1,500
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:04am On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Me, I found out that Elephant is always N50 less than 42.5r. Elephant was N1,450 yesterday while Dangote was N1,500

Ah!!! grin grin grin grin 1,450 naira? shocked shocked shocked

This guy for kill me o grin grin

Imagine, I always give him 2,000 naira per bag and he was still expecting me to pay him the usual 1,900 naira + 100 naira tip per bag.

That is 550 naira per bag in savings I am about to save. 550 naira by 250 bags of cement is a lot of money.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:09am On Sep 19, 2015
FastShipping:

Ah!!! grin grin grin grin 1,450 naira? shocked shocked shocked

This guy for kill me o grin grin

Imagine, I always give him 2,000 naira per bag and he was still expecting me to pay him the usual 1,900 naira + 100 naira tip per bag.

That is 550 naira per bag in savings I am about to save. 550 naira by 250 bags of cement is a lot of money.

I keep a very detailed spreadsheet for this project and the savings over actual versus projected cost is outstanding.

Its shocking to see folks who see us as dollar bills for the picking. As if we don't hustle to make that money too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:21am On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I keep a very detailed spreadsheet for this project and the savings over actual versus projected cost is outstanding.

Its shocking to see folks who see us as dollar bills for the picking. As if we don't hustle to make that money too.

They really think we print money. I told the guy cement is between 1500-1650 naira but the guy said only Dangote cement is being sold for 1800 naira. He knows I love my beloved Elephant cement, so he wants me (mugu) to continue paying 1,900 naira + 100 tip per bag. He's in for rude awakening when I get someone else to supply cement to my site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:00am On Sep 19, 2015
I got 1380 yesterday in Awoyaya, Lagos. Though excluding delivery cost.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:06am On Sep 19, 2015
I opted for and picked up two of these for non portable water storage.

N9k a piece delivered to site.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by filcast(m): 6:47am On Sep 19, 2015
Hello house,I need some advice. What's the best way to save towards building a home?

-saving in a bank
-buying and stocking cement bags
-moulding blocks
-any other suggestion

NB: I presently have regular income but can only spare about N50k monthly towards this project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:29am On Sep 19, 2015
filcast:
Hello house,I need some advice. What's the best way to save towards building a home?

-saving in a bank
-buying and stocking cement bags
-moulding blocks
-any other suggestion

NB: I presently have regular income but can only spare about N50k monthly towards this project.

If you already got a land, do the following:

1. Start buying sand. Buy as much as needed to complete the building project. Look for cheap source/supplier. If in Ogun/Ibadan/Ondo/Ekiti, 50k should give you 2/3 loads of sand. Do this for two months.
2. Start paying to a trusted cement supplier and obtain receipt for every payment. 50k as today will still give you about 40 bags of cement. Do this for 3 months. At the end of 3rd month, you should have 100 bags of cement.
3. Start moulding blocks on site. Look for workmen who do hand moulding and do it well.
4. At the end of 6th month, you should have materials enough to take the project to roof level within 3 weeks.
5. While at it, start assembling your team with you been the Project Head and get one skillful mason to work with as the Project supervisor. Job are very scarce nowadays and there are handful of these guys around who wants to be part of our project for obvious reasons (to eat your money or get busy). Be the wise one!
6. Break ground on the 8th month and negotiate the work on pay-as-you-go basis or block-counting basis.
7. Unless it's a water-logged site, ignore sand filling after foundation and the German-floor. Build straight up to lintel level.
8. Buy half ton of 12mm iron rods and buy ready made rings. Get the measurements of the lintels and beams, ask the supplier to get you an iron bender to help prepare the reinforcement for a fee. Those suppliers have handful of cheap workmen.
9. Give yourself a break of 2 months to save for the Sandfilling of the house.
10. At the end of the tenth month, you should have another 100k to commence Sandfilling. Source for additional 30k to start septic tank/soakaway excavation alongside sand filling. Use the same labourer for the septic tank to sand fill the house. You'll end up saving some cash.
11. Prepare to work on the lintels and the septic tank at the same time to save cost on woodwork. How? Get a local carpenter to hire planks for the lintels and the septic tank slab. You should still have about 50 bags of cement left to play with. Dedicate 20 bags to the building (lintels and block work after lintel) and the remaining 30 bags to septic tank and slab.

I need to attend a meeting right now. BRB

To be continued. Other inputs welcome.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by filcast(m): 7:54am On Sep 19, 2015
@brabus, that's great! I am definitely giving this your method good consideration.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by century106: 10:01am On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Dangote 42.5r sold for N1,450 yesterday (the 18th). I was able to knock off N20 and bought me some at N1,430

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2015
filcast:
@brabus, that's great! I am definitely giving this your method good consideration.

Just do your best and don't ever give up!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ikhige(m): 12:23pm On Sep 19, 2015
century106:
Dangote 42.5r sold for N1,450 yesterday (the 18th). I was able to knock off N20 and bought me some at N1,430

Please anyone in Benin-City to supply on cement on the above amount or slightly above (#1,500 Max).

200-300 bags

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 19, 2015
Na small small snake take climb tree...

Melee going on currently onsite.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 2:15pm On Sep 19, 2015
brabus:

If you already got a land, do the following:

1. Start buying sand. Buy as much as needed to complete the building project. Look for cheap source/supplier. If in Ogun/Ibadan/Ondo/Ekiti, 50k should give you 2/3 loads of sand. Do this for two months.
2. Start paying to a trusted cement supplier and obtain receipt for every payment. 50k as today will still give you about 40 bags of cement. Do this for 3 months. At the end of 3rd month, you should have 100 bags of cement.
3. Start moulding blocks on site. Look for workmen who do hand moulding and do it well.
4. At the end of 6th month, you should have materials enough to take the project to roof level within 3 weeks.
5. While at it, start assembling your team with you been the Project Head and get one skillful mason to work with as the Project supervisor. Job are very scarce nowadays and there are handful of these guys around who wants to be part of our project for obvious reasons (to eat your money or get busy). Be the wise one!
6. Break ground on the 8th month and negotiate the work on pay-as-you-go basis or block-counting basis.
7. Unless it's a water-logged site, ignore sand filling after foundation and the German-floor. Build straight up to lintel level.
8. Buy half ton of 12mm iron rods and buy ready made rings. Get the measurements of the lintels and beams, ask the supplier to get you an iron bender to help prepare the reinforcement for a fee. Those suppliers have handful of cheap workmen.
9. Give yourself a break of 2 months to save for the Sandfilling of the house.
10. At the end of the tenth month, you should have another 100k to commence Sandfilling. Source for additional 30k to start septic tank/soakaway excavation alongside sand filling. Use the same labourer for the septic tank to sand fill the house. You'll end up saving some cash.
11. Prepare to work on the lintels and the septic tank at the same time to save cost on woodwork. How? Get a local carpenter to hire planks for the lintels and the septic tank slab. You should still have about 50 bags of cement left to play with. Dedicate 20 bags to the building (lintels and block work after lintel) and the remaining 30 bags to septic tank and slab.

I need to attend a meeting right now. BRB

To be continued. Other inputs welcome.
if you can successfully finish this, i will send you a recharge card. so what's the size of the septic tank?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:55pm On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

weldone baba

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 4:04pm On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Shuooo. All what iam seeing is manual labour. Where are all the construction gadgets you have been talking about?. I was expecting to concrete mixers and not manual mixing by men. Was expecting to see an automated carrying and pouring of the concrete instead of people carrying it on their heads. cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 19, 2015
NL1960:

Shuooo. All what iam seeing is manual labour. Where are all the construction gadgets you have been talking about?. I was expecting to concrete mixers and not manual mixing by men. Was expecting to see an automated carrying and pouring of the concrete instead of people carrying it on their heads. cheesy

On this project my responsibility is materials. My builder is responsible for labour and equipment.

I'm not concerned about not using mixers and stuff, what I was concerned about was child labour. The two "kids" that worked on my site will not return but they'll go home with extra pocket full of cash for their families.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 19, 2015
I present my German floor. Brabus and Spyder should be jealous grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:04pm On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

What are they doing to those rocks in the middle?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:10pm On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

This can't be your German floor because I can't see your fence showing in this picture.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:29pm On Sep 19, 2015
FastShipping:

This can't be your German floor because I can't see your fence showing in this picture.

I was gonna ask him the same.... And EgungunLord will not leave those rocks in the middle of his german floor.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 19, 2015
mufutau55:

What are they doing to those rocks in the middle?

Hajji M.

I have no clue but both the builder and owner ought to be shot at dawn.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 6:05pm On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:27pm On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I know thats bot urs lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beulah09: 7:57pm On Sep 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

On this project my responsibility is materials. My builder is responsible for labour and equipment.

I'm not concerned about not using mixers and stuff, what I was concerned about was child labour. The two "kids" that worked on my site will not return but they'll go home with pocket full of cash for their families.

Hmmmmm smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (3684) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: floshady02, dollarnaira and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.