Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,018 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4375412 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 4:47pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm up for learning new things but I'm from Missouri, the show me state.

Thus I don't want theory, I want to see a fully completed 2 million Naira house once and for all.
now I know you didn't actually grab what I said,go back to the comment and read carefully moreover projects are certainly dependent on many factors and these factors actually deteines the budget so don't be so optimistic DAT 2m will actuallyvgive you your dream desires

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 15, 2015
nigeriancuban:
now I know you didn't actually grab what I said,go back to the comment and read carefully moreover projects are certainly dependent on many factors and these factors actually deteines the budget so don't be so optimistic DAT 2m will actuallyvgive you your dream desires

I deleted a terse response I made to you because I remembered the high level of participants we have on this thread. "Ti aba ni ki ada inan sun ejo bo se gun to, ama sun ile nina".

You win Sir. I'm a clueless idiot that can't read. And you can build a mansion in Lekki house for N200,000

Seun, where is the ignore user filter that I've been asking for?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 15, 2015
Ordered 100 tons of laterite yesterday @ N700/ton delivered, as a start

But it's only money and you can't take it with you grin

Edit: Any one wants to guess what the final tally would be? My site Supervisor thinks he can get an approximately additional 20 tons out of my soakaway too.

For my good friend #213,649 KolaShangOne that is keeping an eye on cost for me wink , the filing will be done at N175/tonne. So this initial filing of 100 tonne will be completed at N87,500, my builder wanted N200,00 and I of course told him to go pound sand. I will see him when I'm ready for him to submit a quote for the German Floor.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 4:58pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Listen, you are the one that lacks comprehension. You go back and read my request, and this time read it slowly.

Stop with the fang theory and show me your completed N2m house and cost/list of all materials used. This is in any environment in Nigeria. Of course don;t be surprised if I don't accept a madhouse in the village as a contender so don;t even come up with a lane a$$ shyte like that.

Until then this is all a fairytale dream.

Also I can be whatever the frack I want to be, optimistic or otherwise and I don't kowtow to you.

Be careful Son, you're getting my oars out of the water.
I can we you are already freaked out but the fact is youvare getting it the wrong way, okay what do you want me to admit now? that a 2mill house does exist in Nigeria or that 2mill is the at to small for it or both or rather non?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 5:11pm On Oct 15, 2015
KolaShangOne:
@abouzaid Your cost analysis iscquite explicit.

But..

Making 43 blocks per bag is quite much and below standard. How can U achieve German floor with 200k when 3 rolls of wiRe mesh is 45,000 already? 25t granite costs about 70,000 and sand cost about 30,000-32000. Water? Assume 80 bagscof cement @1400 =112,000. What's the mix ratio for your concrete? I assume sth like 1:10:10?

Nothing is impossible so I'm looking forward.

1:10:10 got me laughing. In 1998 we did complete a bungalow with about £8k might be a stretch to do for N2m but can be dome for N3m for 3 bed bungalow.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:49pm On Oct 15, 2015
gabbytabby:
1:10:10 got me laughing. In 1998 we did complete a bungalow with about £8k might be a stretch to do for N2m but can be dome for N3m for 3 bed bungalow.

17years ago. I'm sure cement was still 600 naira cheesy
Of course, 3m is possible. Even 2 million. 1million sef Anything is possible.

Just gather sand around the site, heap it, use it to make blocks.. Then set up to 100 blocks per bag of cement, Roof the house with white wood, use all these shine shine pan to cover it, pass wires through the ceiling and put 100 bulbs. Sieve sand and use to plaster, use PVC for ceiling. No tiles oo.. Use wooden window and doors etc

The thing is, Will you be happy when you see your house?
Will you say "That's my house over there" proudly?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:53pm On Oct 15, 2015
mufutau55:

True. I have heard stories about the Chinese locks... but I was hoping if the cylinder locks and handles are replaced with a better one it will be more useful than those warping dancing doors...

Hajji M.

Dancing doors grin

But the cylinders are kinda costly though. Buying an entirely new key for 4k or so is better than changing cylinders and handles. But then some are good and they don't get spoilt at all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:05pm On Oct 15, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Dancing doors grin
But the cylinders are kinda costly though. Buying an entirely new key for 4k or so is better than changing cylinders and handles. But then some are good and they don't get spoilt at all.

That is duly noted. Buying entire new key will better then. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 15, 2015
KolaShangOne:

17years ago. I'm sure cement was still 600 naira cheesy
Of course, 3m is possible. Even 2 million. 1million sef Anything is possible.

Just gather sand around the site, heap it, use it to make blocks.. Then set up to 100 blocks per bag of cement, Roof the house with white wood, use all these shine shine pan to cover it, pass wires through the ceiling and put 100 bulbs. Sieve sand and use to plaster, use PVC for ceiling. No tiles oo.. Use wooden window and doors etc

The thing is, Will you be happy when you see your house?
Will you say "That's my house over there" proudly?

Which is why I keep asking for pictures, details and construction data of this 4 bedroom N2m bungalow.

I think one can build from mud (don;t even waste money on making blocks), cement it afterwards, use raw timber for lintel (I've seen this even here), go to Gottshaclks (do yah all still have as such? - used to be one near Iyaganku in the early 80's, yeah I'm an old fart) to buy left over or second materials.

I say again, no builder worth his salt will build a 4 bedroom bungalow for N2m in the Nigerian economy of today and put his name on it.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:11pm On Oct 15, 2015
nigeriancuban:
well what do you wanna know about raft,the conditions that warrants it,go it is constructed,how to derive the detailing an minimum heights and sizes or how the constructions an procedures works out?

The question is not what i know about raft foundation or how it is design.
The question is why do we have poorly constructed raft foundation.
when i have the time, i will present some well design raft foundation of the following type
1. flat slab raft foundation
2. beam raft foundation
3. upward raft foundation
4. downward raft foundation.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2015
gabbytabby:
I had a point of disagreement with someone on an issue which I am throwing to the house. I never run from an opportunity to learn.

Here goes for properties built in the Ajah axis with high water level such that you cannot dig too deep cos of high water table and all. Is it possible to never have to empty the soakaway even when this is linked to the septic tank. How is this done.

Segcymoor brabus aventures spyder880 abdulwastecx et al opinions please.

from theoretical point of view, considering the fact that soakaway connected to a septic tank need water demanding soil around its perimeter, it will be impossible for the soakaway to self drain large quantity of effluent waste coming from the soakaway.

soakaway /septic tank system of solid sewage treatment need to be done a soil with relatively low water level so that the effluent waste through the soakway can easily be taken away by the surrounding soil
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 7:28pm On Oct 15, 2015
KolaShangOne:
@abouzaid Your cost analysis iscquite explicit.

But..

Making 43 blocks per bag is quite much and below standard. How can U achieve German floor with 200k when 3 rolls of wiRe mesh is 45,000 already? 25t granite costs about 70,000 and sand cost about 30,000-32000. Water? Assume 80 bagscof cement @1400 =112,000. What's the mix ratio for your concrete? I assume sth like 1:10:10?

Nothing is impossible so I'm looking forward.

so 43 blocks per bag is below standard? please tell your standard because i believe most block industries make atleast 70 blocks per bag, the minimum standard i know of is 40-43 blocks per bag and I'm calling all the builders in the house to take a stand now and stop been hypocrites before I'm forced to call up their threads where they made use of the same ratios, as for the German floor, the secret of a low cost home is in the design of the floor plan foremost before anything, i have a four bedroom design i did for a fifty by fifty plot, the masters bedroom is 12 x12, the other rooms are 10x12 all ensuite , in summary the house is 36x43 and shaped in a perfect rectangle, now prove to me why i need 80 bags of cement for the German floor instead of 60 or less, in short redo your cost analysis and tell me how 200k won't be enough for the German floor because the analysis you did above is not even upto #250k when summed together and only wire mesh is not over estimated mind you the thickness is only 4inches. please using my measurements redo your analysis and call the result by your self. thanks. @eggunmogashi, i said 2.5 million not 2 million and i don't like the way you often take an taunting approach to people, we are all friends here.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:40pm On Oct 15, 2015
gabbytabby:

As Ajah it is 7ft deep. It serves 6 flats (5 occupied) and last time it was evacuated was 2 years ago.

He is an engineer he tells me and he reasons that a properly constructed soakaway/septic should never need to be evacuated since the top water from the septic will go into the soakaway and dry out. My counter argument is that in a dry/normal terrain it will take longer but ultimately all septic will be evacuated.

We seem to have the problem during the raining season such that I am suspecting poor drainage due to rising water levels. I suggested that they evacuate just before the rains.

I have had a situation that we changed plumbers and in the change over they forgot to do the linking. With a very deep 13ft soak away/septic it took less than 3 months for the soakaway to fill up with 4 tenants such that I know its not a linking issue.

I'm of the opinion that you were right and the engineer was wrong.
septic/soakaway system of solid waste treatment system is design based on the number of occupant, height of water table, nature of surrounding soil( sandy soil, clayish soil), rain intensity in the area and intensity of surface run off.

soakaway built on a soil with high water level will need to be constantly evacuated.
soakaway/septic tank built without consideration for number of users will need also need to be evacuated constantly.

Soakway are also very dangerous since they pollute underground ground water when built closer or inline with the bore hole position

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:47pm On Oct 15, 2015
abouzaid:
so 43 blocks per bag is below standard? please tell your standard because i believe most block industries make atleast 70 blocks per bag, the minimum standard i know of is 40-43 blocks per bag and I'm calling all the builders in the house to take a stand now and stop been hypocrites before I'm forced to call up their threads where they made use of the same ratios, as for the German floor, the secret of a low cost home is in the design of the floor plan foremost before anything, i have a four bedroom design i did for a fifty by fifty plot, the masters bedroom is 12 x12, the other rooms are 10x12 all ensuite , in summary the house is 36x43 and shaped in a perfect rectangle, now prove to me why i need 80 bags of cement for the German floor instead of 60 or less, in short redo your cost analysis and tell me how 200k won't be enough for the German floor because the analysis you did above is not even upto #250k when summed together and only wire mesh is not over estimated mind you the thickness is only 4inches. please using my measurements redo your analysis and call the result by your self. thanks. @eggunmogashi, i said 2.5 million not 2 million and i don't like the way you often take an taunting approach to people, we are all friends here.

Low cost housing is the future and solution to Nigeria building problem.
I am of the opinion that 2.5million can build you a good low cost house, but not from the perspective of our current building practices.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 15, 2015
abouzaid:

Dude, I apologize if I've ever given you a reason that I consider what you like or don't like into consideration in any thing I do. And I'm not your friend, we are userids. You don't even register on any scale of people whose opinions I cherish on NL so stuff it already.

Face your lane and post on topic and don't make this an interpersonal deal. It's not.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 15, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Low cost housing is the future and solution to Nigeria building problem.
I am of the opinion that 2.5million can build you a good low cost house, but not from the perspective of our current building practices.

I agree.

And this is why I'm still waiting for an expert to show me their N2 million build. All I have is theories.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 15, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I'm of the opinion that you were right and the engineer was wrong.
septic/soakaway system of solid waste treatment system is design based on the number of occupant, height of water table, nature of surrounding soil( sandy soil, clayish soil), rain intensity in the area and intensity of surface run off.

soakaway built on a soil with high water level will need to be constantly evacuated.
soakaway/septic tank built without consideration for number of users will need also need to be evacuated constantly.

Soakway are also very dangerous since they pollute underground ground water when built closer or inline with the bore hole position

I have clay soil which retains water.

What ideas do you suggest for people in my situation?

What would you consider to be a safe distance between soakaway and borehole?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 8:18pm On Oct 15, 2015
abdulwastecx:

The question is not what i know about raft foundation or how it is design.
The question is why do we have poorly constructed raft foundation.
when i have the time, i will present some well design raft foundation of the following type
1. flat slab raft foundation
2. beam raft foundation
3. upward raft foundation
4. downward raft foundation.
yrw pictures would really help,but I must say that the problems with majority of these engrs,(that's if they are actually qualified though) is they don't do design calculations,engineering is not a trial and error stuff like you just work up to the site and start asking workers to break up and dig up,every single thing done should be derived in the appropriate way,tat said you should know where I'm am putting my bulls eye on
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:21pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I have clay soil which retains water.

What ideas do you suggest for people in my situation?

What would you consider to be a safe distance between soakaway and borehole?

Thanks.

lateral flow should be avoided by not placing your soakaway along the same line with your bore hole. Anything above 6m in both axis is consider safe enough. soak away should also be placed at lower elevation to bore holes especially on sloppy land

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Dude, I apologize if I've ever given you a reason that I consider what you like or don't like into consideration in any thing I do. And I'm not your friend, we are userids. You don't even register on any scale of people whose opinions I cherish on NL so stuff it already.

Face your lane and post on topic and don't make this an interpersonal deal. It's not.
the feeling is mutual so stop referring to my so called theories while making your derogatory/insulting snide remarks, i didn't make them in response or reference to you but to someone who actually cares to know. as for your insultive remarks, I'll let it slide.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:26pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I agree.

And this is why I'm still waiting for an expert to show me their N2 million build. All I have is theories.

Ok, here we go cheesy cheesy

Just N800k, you go even get change sef grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 15, 2015
abouzaid:
the feeling is mutual so stop referring to my so called theories while making your derogatory/insulting snide remarks, i didn't make them in response or reference to you but to someone who actually cares to know. as for your insultive remarks, I'll let it slide.

Yawnnn, let it slide, let it sink, whatever floats your bubble.

Until I see you or better yet a seasoned and experienced builder post the requested documents then you're just pissing in the wind with your half cocked theories. I hope innocent victims don't read your faulty epistle, start building and then find themselves short in the middle of the building process. No money to pay rent and no money no continue to build. It's a serious concern. I wish you'll focus on that instead of jerking yourself about with pompous innuendoes which I'm frankly allergic to.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 15, 2015
spyder880:

Mi oga to the rescue.

I think much money can be saved if we just expanded on one of the site stores that your boys build so efficiently grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:35pm On Oct 15, 2015
nigeriancuban:
yrw pictures would really help,but I must say that the problems with majority of these engrs,(that's if they are actually qualified though) is they don't do design calculations,engineering is not a trial and error stuff like you just work up to the site and start asking workers to break up and dig up,every single thing done should be derived in the appropriate way,tat said you should know where I'm am putting my bulls eye on

here are some of the mistakes and common error with most raft foundation constructed in Nigeria.

1. the slab and beam components are cast differently because of most are raced to dpc level ( for slab and beam raft).
2. the beams are founded on a very week vegetable soil
3. the beams are not always founded on a very suitable soil with adequate bearing capacity and settlement rate.
4. most of the slabs are placed on filled earth instead on top of the specify soil strata with the adequate soil properties.
the slabs/beam are always poorly reinforced ( raft slabs and beams requires the main reinforcement to be closer to the top of the section
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2015
abdulwastecx:

here are some of the mistakes and common error with most raft foundation constructed in Nigeria.

1. the slab and beam components are cast differently because of most are raced to dpc level ( for slab and beam raft).
2. the beams are founded on a very week vegetable soil
3. the beams are not always founded on a very suitable soil with adequate bearing capacity and settlement rate.
4. most of the slabs are placed on filled earth instead on top of the specify soil strata with the adequate soil properties.
the slabs/beam are always poorly reinforced ( raft slabs and beams requires the main reinforcement to be closer to the top of the section
you are very correct in fact most engineers don't even know when to even use raft and pad foundations anymore coz both are almost used for similar conditions but clearly different occasions..just imagine a raft foundation where a proper soil analysis wasn't conducted and the top soil consolidation rate not determined how then can one achieve success full footing design?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:42pm On Oct 15, 2015
This was my baptism of fire in building septic tanks in areas with high water tables cheesy

If I tell you guys what I encountered in this work, una go laugh tire, that was back then anyway. The work was completed by me before we left the site.

https://www.nairaland.com/1335928/making-port-harcourt-mansion/72

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:50pm On Oct 15, 2015
nigeriancuban:
you are very correct in fact most engineers don't even know when to even use raft and pad foundations anymore coz both are almost used for similar conditions but clearly different occasions..just imagine a raft foundation where a proper soil analysis wasn't conducted and the top soil consolidation rate not determined how then can one achieve success full footing design?

you on point, soil test is very important.
You need to have the soil profile with specific soil properties and depth.

it is important to note that most raft are constructed at a considerable depth below the natural ground level that why basement always accompany most raft foundation.

most of what we actually call raft foundation/mat foundation are actually continuous footings
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2015
abdulwastecx:

you on point, soil test is very important.
You need to have the soil profile with specific soil properties and depth.

it is important to note that most raft are constructed at a considerable depth below the natural ground level that why basement always accompany most raft foundation.

most of what we actually call raft foundation/mat foundation are actually continuous footings
yes very correct,and the mesh arranged accordingly so as to distribute the footing strength accordingly not a part being more strengthened than the other part,then the supposed structure starts to move which will put the structure at a verge of failure
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
spyder880:
This was my baptism of fire in building septic tanks in areas with high water tables cheesy

If I tell you guys what I encountered in this work, una go laugh tire, that was back then anyway. The work was completed by me before we left the site.

This is why I respect you Sir. You have talked the talk and walked the walk. You have experience of different kinds under your belt. You show us the good and bad in your builds as opposed to many that only show us good stuff (we know no one walks on water so I just laugh and just dey look them so).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:23pm On Oct 15, 2015
spyder880:

NO Sir. I want it with Aluminium Casement windows and Wichtech Stone Coated Roof. How much more then? smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:27pm On Oct 15, 2015
spyder880:

I remembered this one o...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:28pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Mi oga to the rescue.
I think much money can be saved if we just expanded on one of the site stores that your boys build so efficiently grin

I am sure Oga Spyder can restore this one... and we go still get change o.

Hajji M.

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.