Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4374516 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (3663) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:53am On Oct 15, 2015
mufutau55:

Not long ago I bought some machine made/finished mahogany wooden doors at N13k (non machine/manual made are N10k) each, and later started discovering that they are warping... nothing annoys or frustrate a door frame than warping. I would have then bought some China made iron doors for the internals... I have seen nice ones from N15k to nicest around N25k which also includes frames... at least they will not warp later.
Look around her for the advertisers and let them send you samples and their respective costs; I don't want to mention names so I don't leave anyone out.

Hajji M.

I plan for Chinese internal and Turkish security doors in this my ongoing finish https://www.nairaland.com/2630873/house-home-home-finish-diaries
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 8:47am On Oct 15, 2015
spyder880:

You can always empty a soak away, when I build, I always construct a manhole at both sides, so we can evacuate the septic tank from its hole and the soak away from its own hole. 100% empty is what I recommend.

He was suggesting that the soakaway and septic tank combination was poorly constructed hence we should not need to evacuate and I disagreed with this concept.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 8:53am On Oct 15, 2015
gabbytabby:

He was suggesting that the soakaway and septic tank combination was poorly constructed hence we should not need to evacuate and I disagreed with this concept.
Badly constructed? That may be it is linking and that may result to making it full frequently. .......so is it not better to evacuate and redo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 9:00am On Oct 15, 2015
abouzaid:
can one build a four bedroom all en suite bungalow with two and half million or less? I'm doing a cost analysis and it's looking possible from my analysis. what's your views on that? i would give my analysis later after hearing some of your views. my labourers would be sourced exclusively from the north where labour is extremely cheap and the house would not include any fancy works. details later but lets hear your views first.
well depends on the locality but for a place with low cost labour and materials I could bet that amount can get it to a satisfactory stage tat will motivate you to spend a little more....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 9:04am On Oct 15, 2015
meetmonde:
how big is 50/40 piece of land and what kind of structure can be developed on it and at what estimate cost please.. anyone with idea should help me out please.. thanks and God bless in advance
well a 5bedrooms duplex with gladly fit into it and the living room too will have a better space for dinning but its quite very small though and depending on the strictness of the urban planning body in your locality
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 9:07am On Oct 15, 2015
Slaw12:
A nice thread...
How much can build and complete a four bedroom bungalow with all room ensuit and with a normal and moderate finishing on a dry land in ibadan...tganks
well depending on your specifications..
when I mean specs ,some clients desires different qualities if work and for a client that requires a moderate quality I bet 2.$omething might do
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Babs612000(m): 9:09am On Oct 15, 2015
abouzaid:
can one build a four bedroom all en suite bungalow with two and half million or less? I'm doing a cost analysis and it's looking possible from my analysis. what's your views on that? i would give my analysis later after hearing some of your views. my labourers would be sourced exclusively from the north where labour is extremely cheap and the house would not include any fancy works. details later but lets hear your views first.
Thanks for your post please l am waiting for cost analysis and which type of roofing are you using hope it is not aluminium because that will cost you nothing less than 800k.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 9:11am On Oct 15, 2015
abdulwastecx:
I will love to discuss about raft foundation design and construction.....
I have seen some work here that are not properly done, i will love professionals here to share their experience in raft foundation design and construction.
well what do you wanna know about raft,the conditions that warrants it,go it is constructed,how to derive the detailing an minimum heights and sizes or how the constructions an procedures works out?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 9:23am On Oct 15, 2015
brabus:
Oga Egunmogaji,

Let's talk interlock vs stained concrete flooring. The benefits and the cost factors. I'm in support of Interlock Stones (Quality, Sustainablity and Long-run average cost)
well In rlocked is relatively cheaper though but for he fact that it gets infective and unlevel as the ground consolidates it highly inreconded for a very soft ground
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Babs612000(m): 9:24am On Oct 15, 2015
nigeriancuban:
when I mean specs ,some clients desires different qualities if work and for a client that requires a moderate quality I bet 2.$omething might do
q
Hello are you saying #2 can finished a 4bedrooms bungalow with lower budget,simple designs and normal finishing in Ibadan please kindly break it down for us l am about to start one in Abeokuta soon .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 15, 2015
2Flats of 3 bedroom flats forsale in Abekoko, IFO , Ogun state. The Building is on a Full plot of Land consisting of 3 bedroom, 3 toilet, 1 dinning and 2 sitting room in each of the Flats. The building needs Only the Interior finishing - Plastering. Soakaway has already been done and still have tonnes of Gravel , Soft & Sharp sand on ground. 100% completed drainage. Advertisement is Posted by Owner. Documents Available- Receipts of Land Ownership, Deeds of Agreement and Affidavit. Reasons for sale: Owner got Visa and need Urgent finance for trip. Pics Available in previous post and Can also email for interest. Here is the link for Property view below www.nairaland.com/2209826/2flats-3bedroom- flats-abekoko-ifo Price- 3.5M Negotiations may be considered from serious buyer. Please Call : Mr Kehinde on 08166005609, 08166534863, 08087739760, 07081012274. serious buyer only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 15, 2015
Babs612000:
q
Hello are you saying #2 can finished a 4bedrooms bungalow with lower budget,simple designs and normal finishing in Ibadan please kindly break it down for us l am about to start one in Abeokuta soon .

While not impossible but it's improbable.

I will change my tune when it's been proven by actual physical contruction.

Will the thing not have German floor and roof?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EndiaSami: 10:14am On Oct 15, 2015
gabbytabby:

You misquoted mua. I do not do Chinese doors all local doors for me. The story I hear about them is not encouraging either with key in hand you end up locked in or out.

Teak is local wood.
Oops! My bad..apologies

Alright bro.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 10:14am On Oct 15, 2015
nigeriancuban:
Nigeria and cuba, abeg 2.Something million can't finish 4bedroom bungalow, all ensuit.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 15, 2015
johnson232:

Nigeria and cuba, abeg 2.Something million can't finish 4bedroom bungalow, all ensuit.

I think this also contributed to the vast amount of unfinished projects in Nigeria.

People commence building with an unrealistic budget.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 10:24am On Oct 15, 2015
gabbytabby:

I don't get this, is the tenant saying the excretes shouldn't be evacuated? Abi does he benefit any thing from the excretes? Na him oil well? It's natural to evacuate waste from septic tank when it's full nau, whether properly or poorly constructed...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:30am On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I think this also contributed to the vast amount of unfinished projects in Nigeria.

How do you mean bro? We can ask Bro Sir nigeriancuban to show us a sample of the 2.$omething 4 bed bungalow. I don't even mind if it's having only one bathroom.

We need to learn new things.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 10:33am On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thank u sir.
U have said it all...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 11:22am On Oct 15, 2015
johnson232:

lol,the way u exergerated the moniker got me lmao but like I said it all depends on the specs though,I actually meant to put "something" @ the end of that comment though....but never estimate the need for a clinically ambitious to pad their résumé s
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 11:25am On Oct 15, 2015
brabus:

How do you mean bro? We can ask Bro Sir nigeriancuban to show us a sample of the 2.$omething 4 bed bungalow. I don't even mind if it's having only one bathroom.

well it all depends on the specs but I know that amount could do something worthwhile aferall its a dry land unless otherwise
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:01pm On Oct 15, 2015
As brabus said nothing is impossible let's see the breakdown, I like new innovation also
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 1:25pm On Oct 15, 2015
segcymoor:

Badly constructed? That may be it is linking and that may result to making it full frequently. .......so is it not better to evacuate and redo

As Ajah it is 7ft deep. It serves 6 flats (5 occupied) and last time it was evacuated was 2 years ago.

He is an engineer he tells me and he reasons that a properly constructed soakaway/septic should never need to be evacuated since the top water from the septic will go into the soakaway and dry out. My counter argument is that in a dry/normal terrain it will take longer but ultimately all septic will be evacuated.

We seem to have the problem during the raining season such that I am suspecting poor drainage due to rising water levels. I suggested that they evacuate just before the rains.

I have had a situation that we changed plumbers and in the change over they forgot to do the linking. With a very deep 13ft soak away/septic it took less than 3 months for the soakaway to fill up with 4 tenants such that I know its not a linking issue.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 1:48pm On Oct 15, 2015
Babs612000:

Thanks for your post please l am waiting for cost analysis and which type of roofing are you using hope it is not aluminium because that will cost you nothing less than 800k.
regardless of what people are telling you, it's doable but I'm sourcing funds to start one soon, i can get my block moulders both in the north and in the east to mould six inches blocks at a labour cost of #10 per block that way if i mould 43 blocks per bag, i would not exceed the cost of #80 per block. that way with about #300,000, i would have moulded 4000 blocks which would be more than enough. German floor with optional wire mesh enhancement would cost about #200,000, roofing with zinc or aluminum coated zinc roof and would cost at most #600,000. i would use glass Louvre windows which is more appropriate for the Nigerian weather and would cost me no more than #100,000. i would also buy a ton of 12mm iron rods(#112,000) which would be more than enough for the pillars, overhead tank, burglary proof and soakaway pit etc, alternatively i can buy a mixture of 12mm and 16mm iron rods at retail price totalling around the same amount.the soakaway pit would be sized 13 feet long and 7 feet wide. please I'm at work now, if you're interested, i can give you the full scope later. you should also read this punch newspaper report www.punchng.com/business/homes-property/with-n3m-you-can-build-your-own-house/ and also this www.castles.com.ng/magazine/article/THE%20PROPERTY%20BUYERS%20GUIDE/889 . bear in mind cement costs are now less and I'm saving money as my own personal contractor though i won't charge more than 300k even when building it for a client

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 1:52pm On Oct 15, 2015
nigeriancuban:
lol,the way u exergerated the moniker got me lmao but like I said it all depends on the specs though,I actually meant to put "something" @ the end of that comment though....but never estimate the need for a clinically ambitious to pad their résumé s
so I'm now clinically ambitious by asking fellow builders for their opinions? you can easily criticize but don't resort to insults
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:46pm On Oct 15, 2015
mufutau55:

Not long ago I bought some machine made/finished mahogany wooden doors at N13k (non machine/manual made are N10k) each, and later started discovering that they are warping... nothing annoys or frustrate a door frame than warping. I would have then bought some China made iron doors for the internals... I have seen nice ones from N15k to nicest around N25k which also includes frames... at least they will not warp later.
Hajji M.

Well said Hajj, local doors are renowned for Warping. They dance Shoki in the rainy season and dance Kako bi Chicken during harmattan. They don't lock etc..Chinese doors have their own too.. The temporary keys cut inside the engine most times and their handles are quick to spoil too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:51pm On Oct 15, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Well said Hajj, local doors are renowned for Warping. They dance Shoki in the rainy season and dance Kako bi Chicken during harmattan. They don't lock etc..Chinese doors have their own too.. The temporary keys cut inside the engine most times and their handles are quick to spoil too.

True. I have heard stories about the Chinese locks... but I was hoping if the cylinder locks and handles are replaced with a better one it will be more useful than those warping dancing doors...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:53pm On Oct 15, 2015
spyder880:

I plan for Chinese internal and Turkish security doors in this my ongoing finish https://www.nairaland.com/2630873/house-home-home-finish-diaries

And usual, I know you will detailed all those doors for us... never lose following any of your threads. Thanks.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 3:08pm On Oct 15, 2015
abouzaid:
so I'm now clinically ambitious by asking fellow builders for their opinions? you can easily criticize but don't resort to insults
oh no,lol,I don't mean that as an insult in fact it is not,just an american saying that means that any new idea can be very useful no matter how ridiculous it may sound,
#no offence intended pls
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
gabbytabby:

As Ajah it is 7ft deep. It serves 6 flats (5 occupied) and last time it was evacuated was 2 years ago.

He is an engineer he tells me and he reasons that a properly constructed soakaway/septic should never need to be evacuated since the top water from the septic will go into the soakaway and dry out. My counter argument is that in a dry/normal terrain it will take longer but ultimately all septic will be evacuated.

We seem to have the problem during the raining season such that I am suspecting poor drainage due to rising water levels. I suggested that they evacuate just before the rains.

I have had a situation that we changed plumbers and in the change over they forgot to do the linking. With a very deep 13ft soak away/septic it took less than 3 months for the soakaway to fill up with 4 tenants such that I know its not a linking issue.

He has a point. But NEVER? No.
Itsca rental apartment with high usage (plenty poo) in an area with high water level.
If it was done properly, it should take an interval of 10yrs + to think about evacuation.

On another note, there are some chemicals which can be sprayed on the soak away to dry up the shyte periodically.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 15, 2015
brabus:

I'm up for learning new things but I'm from Missouri, the show me state.

Thus I don't want theory, I want to see a fully completed 2 million Naira house once and for all.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:59pm On Oct 15, 2015
@abouzaid Your cost analysis iscquite explicit.

But..

Making 43 blocks per bag is quite much and below standard. How can U achieve German floor with 200k when 3 rolls of wiRe mesh is 45,000 already? 25t granite costs about 70,000 and sand cost about 30,000-32000. Water? Assume 80 bagscof cement @1400 =112,000. What's the mix ratio for your concrete? I assume sth like 1:10:10?

Nothing is impossible so I'm looking forward.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 15, 2015
KolaShangOne:
@abouzaid Your cost analysis iscquite explicit.

But..

Making 43 blocks per bag is quite much and below standard. How can U achieve German floor with 200k when 3 rolls of wiRe mesh is 45,000 already? 25t granite costs about 70,000 and sand cost about 30,000-32000. Water? Assume 80 bagscof cement @1400 =112,000. What's the mix ratio for your concrete? I assume sth like 1:10:10?

Nothing is impossible so I'm looking forward.

I just want to see the completed house once and for all.

We have a lot of theories so far grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (3663) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.