Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,896 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4374659 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:34pm On Oct 15, 2015
mufutau55:

NO Sir. I want it with Aluminium Casement windows and Wintech Roof. How much more then? smiley

Hajji M.

And for the love of god please upgrade the cost to add with indoor plumbing (going out to the outhouse while fun at boarding school is rather ghastly at my advanced age because if I squat then I may not be able to get back up), indoor ceiling, and maybe electrical wiring wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:40pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

And for the love of god please upgrade the cost to add with indoor plumbing (going out to the outhouse while fun at boarding school is rather ghastly at my advanced age because if I squat then I may not be able to get back up), indoor ceiling, and maybe electrical wiring wink

I am really enjoying this... smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:45pm On Oct 15, 2015
mufutau55:

I am sure Oga Spyder can restore this one... and we go still get change o.

Hajji M.

But it'll be like putting lipstick on a pig grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:47pm On Oct 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

But it'll be like putting lipstick on a pig grin

Abi o. Oga Spyder can do anything in housing business. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by elfadconcept04(m): 12:16am On Oct 16, 2015
It is not cheap at all.. Bt its actually beautiful n durable.. Its comes in different moulds.. Some stamps look like interlock, a particular design is called European fan..
If ur project is not in a high society or classy zone such as Lekki, its not necessary.. It's beautiful bt more of a show off.. D price is btw 6&7k per Sqm.

3strike:
Anyone heard of concrete floor with stamping to look like interlocking?

So I was talking to couple of people about the different option of floor I can do for my compound instead of doing the interlocking stone. Someone mentioned concrete floor with stamping. he did say that its way cheaper than the interlocking stone and that the stamping will give it the interlocking look.

Can someone please advice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:18am On Oct 16, 2015
mufutau55:

Abi o. Oga Spyder can do anything in housing business. smiley

Hajji M.

But even my Oga Spyder will load his boys into a Wagon and vacate the building site at the end.

Leaving the homeowner to now run his beautiful and well built edifice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:23am On Oct 16, 2015
spyder880:

Ok, here we go cheesy cheesy

Just N800k, you go even get change sef grin

grin cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nigeriancuban: 6:29am On Oct 16, 2015
EgunMogaji:

When I start building my foundation you guys are all going to have a hearty laugh on me.

"What does this Baba Ijebu think he's building, miniature Cocoa House?" because I'll be overbuilding.

I'll worry about armed robbers, snakes, or festival, etc the last thing I want to be worried about when I lay my head down on the pillow is if the whole shebang is going to come down. And some homes have come down in Ibadan.

I have a picture somewhere of a 2 study house under construction that just tipped the frack over, I mean completely in tact grin
lol,you comment got me lmao,but one secreat of a rock solid house is to make sure your foundation is well reinforced and concreted ,then ,okay another point ensure adequate columns so all your qk and gk don't reast on a wall partition, do those and thank me later
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:18am On Oct 16, 2015
Double post.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:19am On Oct 16, 2015
Who was talking about small plots optimisation? A 4 bedroom house on a plot not up to 300 sqm.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:34am On Oct 16, 2015
I just dey laaugh..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 16, 2015
spyder880:
Who was talking about small plots optimisation? A 4 bedroom house on a plot not up to 300 sqm.

Ogami, what type of camera u use take this picture?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:52am On Oct 16, 2015
mufutau55:

NO Sir. I want it with Aluminium Casement windows and Wichtech Stone Coated Roof. How much more then? smiley

Hajji M.

You cant eat your cake and have it.

You cant dictate cost and quality at the same time. One has to give. If you must build a N2million house, you must give in to quality. If you must build a house with best quality you must give in to cost.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:22am On Oct 16, 2015
adanny01:

You cant dictate cost and quality at the same time. One has to give. If you must build a N2million house, you must give in to quality. If you must build a house with best quality you must give in to cost.

I think he already gave in by asking "how much more?"

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 9:32am On Oct 16, 2015
adanny01:

Absolutely!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:34am On Oct 16, 2015
brabus:

I think he already gave in by asking "how much more?"

I thought he was asking how much more on top of N2m will he require to have those quality of materials in the building.

Am sure he was just being sarcastic.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:47am On Oct 16, 2015
adanny01:

I thought he was asking how much more on top of N2m will he require to have those quality of materials in the building.

Am sure he was just being sarcastic.

Even at that, I believe such a deal or package should come with upgrade options.

There's no reason to be sarcastic here. I've seen some earthbag constructions that were done as backyard project with good budgets. So who knows what he might be thinking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:08am On Oct 16, 2015
abouzaid:
so 43 blocks per bag is below standard? please tell your standard because i believe most block industries make atleast 70 blocks per bag, the minimum standard i know of is 40-43 blocks per bag and I'm calling all the builders in the house to take a stand now and stop been hypocrites before I'm forced to call up their threads where they made use of the same ratios

Oga Abouzaid, the bolded statement where you BELIEVE they make 70 blocks per bag shows you don't have practical Knowledge yet. I own a little block industry So I know what I'm saying..
You need to do more bro..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:13am On Oct 16, 2015
i am working on a 3 bedroom flat... one guest toile, one toilet for the master bedroom, one toilet for the remaining two room.. the building is at lentel level... and the soackaway has been done too.... and i have spent less than 1m... land purchase not inclusive..

not much design oooo just a normal parlour room thingy grin

anyway am planning to spend less than 2m over all. which include roofing tiling, doors etc.

its a complete dry land though along lagos ibadan expressway.

meanwhile since i dont have enough money now, i couldnt afford building engineer or an archy,,, a friend whos an archy did the design for free grin then God gave me a season mason from Ibadan who is sincere enough to help manage the little fund..

its well.. i will post picture later today

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:24am On Oct 16, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Oga Abouzaid, the bolded statement where you BELIEVE they make 70 blocks per bag shows you don't have practical Knowledge yet. I own a little block industry So I know what I'm saying..
You need to do more bro..
i said i believe not that i know for sure, but that is really not the crux of the matter, just help me out by redoing the estimates with the dimensions i supplied, i need a second and even a third opinion before committing my life savings to the project.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:40am On Oct 16, 2015
twinskenny:
i am working on a 3 bedroom flat... one guest toile, one toilet for the master bedroom, one toilet for the remaining two room.. the building is at lentel level... and the soackaway has been done too.... and i have spent less than 1m... land purchase not inclusive..

anyway am planning to spend less than 2m over all. which include roofing tiling, doors etc.

meanwhile since i dont have enough money now, i couldnt afford building engineer or an archy,,, a friend whos an archy did the design for free grin then God gave me a season mason from Ibadan who is sincere enough to help manage the little fund..

God bless you my brother, if you can achieve that with less than two million in the southwest with it's expensive labour why can't i achieve a similar feat with 2.5million in the north where labour is dirt cheap in comparison? do you know that even dangote cement is cheaper somehow in the north? i bought dangote #1350 at the building materials village minna in Niger state at the same time it's selling for for #1400 at onitsha head bridge market. multiply the difference by 300 bags and see the difference in cost. i can even get it cheaper by timing the purchase to coincide with when i have interested parties to pool our funds together and buy a whole truck using my customers account with the company and he earns something from it too. i earnestly awaits your pictures and construction thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:40am On Oct 16, 2015
twinskenny:

Oga Twinskenny, ICPC and EFCC dey here o! Don't make us ask you to come and open books o.

I know 2m structure is possible because I don't know where Okada man wey build 4 bedroom house within 6 months wan get N4m. We may need to go back to village and ask how it is been done but seriously some things are very possible. I've seen a lot of boys, earning less than 50k a month, living in their own houses. What about bricklayers? It'll be shocking to know that almost 70-80% of the bricklayers who handle most of our jobs live in their own house. How dem dey do am? We need to learn.

Congrats and well done!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 10:50am On Oct 16, 2015
Unfortunately, all the Lasisi, Lamidi, Muri, Ayuba, driving Okada and also living in their houses are not here on Nairaland to give us the expo.

Even if an Okada man is making 20k per day, he can never have N4m in 6 months. I knew a lot of them who now live in their houses. Thank God for them sha.

Even in our own small outfit, the ones who didn't have a house amongst our very young workforce (including the foreigners) is already building his structure with the small monies they get from projects.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:52am On Oct 16, 2015
spyder880:
nice nice work there
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:57am On Oct 16, 2015
spyder880:
wow . nice one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:57am On Oct 16, 2015
brabus:
Unfortunately, all the Lasisi, Lamidi, Muri, Ayuba, driving Okada and also living in their houses are not here on Nairaland to give us the expo.

Even if an Okada man is making 20k per day, he can never have N4m in 6 months. I knew a lot of them who now live in their houses. Thank God for them sha.
oga mu kena, low cost housing is not a popular topic in Nigerian schools coupled with the i pass my neighbors mentality. what i know, i learnt from reading from the Americans who themselves have largely abandoned how to build in size to their pockets.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:07am On Oct 16, 2015
Hi All,

I have a question, down at my site the front drainage hasnt been done yet although I understand there are plans to do it at some point in time. Saying this, there is a canal at the back of the property but some people are silly enough to build on a drainage channel/canal, so sometimes i hear it does get blocked and then sewage water can come into the property through the channel pipes meant to channel waste outwards.

My question is that for the compound, do they use metal/aluminium drainage channels like the one attached. I know one can have like small tiny gutter/drain to the side of the fence and then just channel waste water outside of the property, my setback is about 3m and there isnt much space, so I dont know if its a good idea to use something like what is pictured ?
The disadvantage that I can see straight away is that if sand gets in, it might be tricky to access for maintenance.

Also, I hear about concrete stamping, what does this mean and how does it compare to interlocking ?

If one buries pipes underground, which is easier for access and maintenance ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:09am On Oct 16, 2015
abouzaid:
oga mu kena, low cost housing is not a popular topic in Nigerian schools coupled with the i pass my neighbors mentality. what i know, i learnt from reading from the Americans who themselves have largely abandoned how to build in size to their pockets.

low cost housing need to be look into from a different perspective
Things like size of the house, method of construction, and the design.

why build a four bedroom flat, when you have a budget of 2.5m naira. The wise thing can be to build a smaller house like two bedroom flat.

cheaper construction materials like stabilized laterite brick, laterite roofing sheet, making doors and cheaper windows.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:35am On Oct 16, 2015
Like I said before, anything is possible in view to construction.

The question is not "can 2.5million build a house?" The question for me is "what kind of house can 2.5million build?"

One thing I don't like about the Nigerian mentality is that "I must build my own house." I walk around Ibadan and I see these 'buildings'

During Ikeja Bomb blasts, I was in a friends house in Iyana Ipaja area of Lagos which is far from the site of the blasts. The house was vibrating, windows shattered and We noticed lines of crack on the walls. We had to run to my father's house which wasn't vibrating like their own.

Talking of low cost housing, there's Transformation estate in Ibadan going for 4.5million for a 3 bdr. It's a fine condo. The whole size is not more than what I will use for an ante room, living room and dining.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:43am On Oct 16, 2015
@all,

It's possible! I have a personal 4 bed project already done the roof carcass with overall spend at 1.3m. It should have been completed by now due to lack of funds we had to take a break. I have an overall budget of 2.5 for the project and I know it's possible. I don't have pics here though but I know I can still get some shots if I search my phone.

However, if I can conveniently deliver the carcass of a 5 unit of 2 bedroom (all ensuite with a visitors toilet) in Lekki, Lagos. Why can't I spend less (maybe 60% of the same budget to achieve the same build in locations where materials and labour are cheaper?

Here are the areas where I can make a serious reduction in the build cost in location like Ibadan/Ogun state:

1. Because of nearness to quarries, the cost of granite will be cheaper than Lagos cost as I'll be using NextHome truck.
2. Cost of sharp sand and filling sand are almost half of what is obtainable in Lagos.
3. 90% of the plots in these terrains do not require raft foundation. A very Big savings!
4. Even the sandcrete blocks I bought in Abeokuta were sold for 100 and 110 for 6 and 9" block respectively. The same quality of block in Lagos will be above 200
5. There's no need to use reinforcement on the DPC. Hardcore or wire mesh will be sufficient in this terrain.

By the time I sum up all the savings from the above, i would have reduce the construction cost by a whopping 3m leaving each unit at 1.4m per unit.

I can still get more savings by doing it the ijebu way. Taking out all the nice-to-have features such as back staircase, parapet roof, etc. Thus slashing the cost-to-build to something between 1.2 -1.3m per unit.

Pls take note of the slab as been the cost of purchasing another land and probably some foundation work. It means with prudency and effective monitoring I can have a 5 unit of 2 beds built with 10 - 12m

If an ijebu proper man or a typical Igbo man handles such money, he can further drive things down by making more compromises in the following areas:

1. Using gravel instead of granite.
2. Buy Dagbolu sand
3. Replace drop beams with internal/secret beams

I can't say any more than this but attached is the picture of what we did in Lagos for 10m (material, labour, and profit inclusive). Take note, carcass only o!
Think of it this way, you're getting a carcass of a 5 bedroom semi detached duplex on 3 floors for N5m in Lekki, Lagos. Wouldn't you say it's impossible?

So it's not just theories. We actually built it!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 11:51am On Oct 16, 2015
abdulwastecx:

low cost housing need to be look into from a different perspective
Things like size of the house, method of construction, and the design.

why build a four bedroom flat, when you have a budget of 2.5m naira. The wise thing can be to build a smaller house like two bedroom flat.

cheaper construction materials like stabilized laterite brick, laterite roofing sheet, making doors and cheaper windows.

the number of rooms is often a question of family size given the extended family system in Nigeria but let's start with design, a rectangular shaped house is the cheapest to build and roof and is the norm in low cost housing but the negative is that the centre corridor might in theory be dark if all the doors are closed simultaneously, as for roofing sheets, zinc roofing sheets have a life expectancy of atleast 25years and costs less than 8k per bundle, locally made wooden flush doors costs about #4500 and lasts like for ever when used internally, as for windows, expensive aluminum windows is not appropriate for our weather and is expensive what is more appropriate is glass louvers since all of it can be opened at once unlike sliding windows thereby allowing more breeze in to the house. it's also far more cheaper. now let's go back to the issue of house size, adequate sizing of rooms will yield smaller homes without giving up on the number of rooms. the architecturally recommended minimum size for secondary bedrooms is 10x12 which gives enough room for a double bed, night standards, a wardrobe and a reading desk. a masters bedroom is 12x16 which gives room for a baby crib(bed) in addition but if you go through the designs here on nairaland,you would notice that room sizes are often noticeablely larger. what about living room sizes talkless of dining rooms, I'm not going to talk about en suites, now let's talk about ornamentation, every house deserve some kind of ornamentation like window hoods,wall edges(othions), arches, classical columns etc but the simple truth is that we overdo these things to the extent that some domestic homes now look like churches. i only subscribe to wall edges and window hoods while the rest should be done away with. I'll stop at here for now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2015
@Brabus The way you shouted carcass only made me laugh.. You no wan enter trouble grin

I'm at the carcass only stage of a 3 units of 2 bdr in Ibadan and so far we have spent just 4.7million.

But we all know the cost of finishing can Be equal to, more or less, the cost of carcass.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.