Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (494) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4379250 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) ... (3665) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oldlayez: 6:23am On Aug 22, 2016
mavverick:
Adeekiti

No hard feelings between us, to be fair to you. I think you got too close to some unsavory characters. Yes we talk a lot, and I used to speak to you as a brother, I was shocked when you started leaking private confidential chat on a faceless forum. I wish we had settled earlier, and I offered you an olive branch of a meeting on site, you spat on it and said no.

Adeekiti, I wish you all the best in all your endeavors.

...And just like that, excuzme singlehandedly destroyed Adeekiti's brand just because he wanted to get back at you..
Ade, May God give you the grace and wisdom to recover from this huge blow.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Oldlayez: 6:26am On Aug 22, 2016
vanbonattel:

SUPPOSING I SHOCK YOU BY TELLING YOU BRABUS IS THE SAME PERSON AS "AM ALONE", THE OLUWA CHAMPION?

Make I go back go complete my 2011 brabus transformation grin

Loool.
Waiting...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:43am On Aug 22, 2016
peaceland:

Thanks sir,
personal
got mdf, hdf and ndf quotes all hovering around a minimum of 100k per unit.
expected quality benchmark is to be maintenance free or low maintenance for as long as possible.
thanks.
Then MDF is the winner
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:59am On Aug 22, 2016
twinskenny:

Yes oo cheesy
Nah B say we go do something soon for PHC ohh grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:29am On Aug 22, 2016
erico2k2:

Nah B say we go do something soon for PHC ohh grin
no wahala baba I dey on standby
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:35am On Aug 22, 2016
erico2k2:

Then MDF is the winner

We are doing HDF these days in some of our finishes.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 8:48am On Aug 22, 2016
I just wonder the effect of lagos ikon and other wood eating insects on these materials.

spyder880:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 9:08am On Aug 22, 2016
spyder880:

peaceland:

Thanks sir,
personal
got mdf, hdf and ndf quotes all hovering around a minimum of 100k per unit.
expected quality benchmark is to be maintenance free or low maintenance for as long as possible.
thanks.

erico2k2:

Then MDF is the winner

From my little research on HDF vs MDF, HDF is the winner for rental or not. The unanimous verdict was that although HDF is slightly more expensive, the maintenance is minimal compared to MDF and as such in the long run, it is cheaper. However, I personally prefer the MDF finishings. They have this luxurious looks. smiley
Dunno what the experts of the house say. I am a learner o o.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:23am On Aug 22, 2016
Morning Madam

Please any advice here on those wood boring insects, because I have personally seen a kitchen reduced to dust because of these insects, this is why for my commercial rental units, I didnt use wood for the kitchen worktop.

I know that MDF/HDF do not like liquid treatment moreover the edges get taped, so the wood cannot be treated like ply of proper hard wood etc, from my little research I found using hardwood expensive in the long run. Is the solution to use those KANFOR balls, you know those white balls they put inside cabinets ?

Also, what are your thoughts about fumigation, I have some of these pressure sprayers that I use in the garden, so was thinking that one can buy fumigation chemical and do it as a precaution or perhaps get someone to do it.

gabbytabby:
I just wonder the effect of lagos ikon and other wood eating insects on these materials.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 9:34am On Aug 22, 2016
mavverick:
Morning Madam

Please any advice here on those wood boring insects, because I have personally seen a kitchen reduced to dust because of these insects, this is why for my commercial rental units, I didnt use wood for the kitchen worktop.

I know that MDF/HDF do not like liquid treatment moreover the edges get taped, so the wood cannot be treated like ply of proper hard wood etc, from my little research I found using hardwood expensive in the long run. Is the solution to use those KANFOR balls, you know those white balls they put inside cabinets ?

Also, what are your thoughts about fumigation, I have some of these pressure sprayers that I use in the garden, so was thinking that one can buy fumigation chemical and do it as a precaution or perhaps get someone to do it.

gabbytabby:

Madam and sir,

From my little research, insects eating MDF and HDF is a no-no. Unless the person was sold something else. These are imported wood that were treated from the factory. In fact if you visit the warehouse, you will experience irritation.

I have lived in houses with these as furnishings, no insect issues like the usual plywood. But we learn everyday as the insects in those areas could be ajebo.

Cc: touchstonengr; spyder880 ,

Do you think insects eat HDF and MDF? Or have you seen where this occurred?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 9:46am On Aug 22, 2016
vanbonattel:
Spent the weekend doing research on brabus cheesy grin grin

When are you publishing your research findings?. Was the research at degree, post-graduate or doctorate level?. cheesy grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:22am On Aug 22, 2016
spyder880:

What's the reaction of HDF with water ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 10:25am On Aug 22, 2016
danowena:

Madam and sir,

From my little research, insects eating MDF and HDF is a no-no. Unless the person was sold something else. These are imported wood that were treated from the factory. In fact if you visit the warehouse, you will experience irritation.

I have lived in houses with these as furnishings, no insect issues like the usual plywood. But we learn everyday as the insects in those areas could be ajebo.

Am with you on this sir, my house is full MDF in the kitchen with granite top and MDF stand alone wardrobe in the bedrooms, had plenty insects and ants in the kitchen for a couple of months when I moved in before eventually getting rid of them and I can tell you no effect whatsoever on the wood, still as clean as before

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:26am On Aug 22, 2016
danowena:

Madam and sir,

They can't as these are not natural wood they are particles glued together and compressed under unbelievable pressure .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 10:32am On Aug 22, 2016
First and foremost is not to leave property unoccupied for extended periods to avoid the insects opportunity to build a colony. Dusting and wiping regularly also helps.

We tend to use sandy sealer and lacker to polish after installing which gives a slightly slippery shine and also treats the wood. I think it serves as a kind of repellant

I do not know much about kanfor balls save for its use for clothes. Also my understanding of fumigation is just to do away with the smell or stench.

I saw the above contributions after and interesting to know people's experiences. That is what is so good about this exchanges

mavverick:
Morning Madam

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:00am On Aug 22, 2016
Pls confirm the material used here ? I have only used lacquer on real wood or pine wood.

gabbytabby:
First and foremost is not to leave property unoccupied for extended periods to avoid the insects opportunity to build a colony. Dusting and wiping regularly also helps.

We tend to use sandy sealer and lacker to polish after installing which gives a slightly slippery shine and also treats the wood. I think it serves as a kind of repellant

I do not know much about kanfor balls save for its use for clothes. Also my understanding of fumigation is just to do away with the smell or stench.

I saw the above contributions after and interesting to know people's experiences. That is what is so good about this exchanges

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 11:06am On Aug 22, 2016
spyder880:

Thanks all,
@erico2k2 Thanks for the inputs
@gabbytabby, Thanks ma
@spyder800 & @mavverick – Thanks.
@spyder800 like how much (if you can share) are the ones you are doing going for please?
The size of the blockwork space is as follows: (width- 175cm; depth-60cm & height 300cm)
For HDf the least I have is 150k per unit while for Mdf the least is 100k
I might be old school but the one my father did in the village; had a shiny formica like face is still very strong and sold (over 30 years now) and I can bet it can’t be as relatively expensive as these ones.
Thanks a lot
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 11:30am On Aug 22, 2016
I use real wood and plywood. That is the spelling lacquer.

mavverick:
Pls confirm the material used here ? I have only used lacquer on real wood or pine wood.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Demainman1: 12:32pm On Aug 22, 2016
vanbonattel:

SUPPOSING I SHOCK YOU BY TELLING YOU BRABUS IS THE SAME PERSON AS "AM ALONE", THE OLUWA CHAMPION?

Make I go back go complete my 2011 brabus transformation grin

HOW?

You are joking right? But then, what happened to Am Alone?

The guy simply disappeared from the face of this earth angry angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:35pm On Aug 22, 2016
back2sender:
Criminals yapa for this site. The one i cannot stomach are the service provider, they will cheat you on supervision fee, cheat you in materials, cause you serious pschological pains, not to talk about the loss in projects timing and thier dribbling when you call to find out why the work is not going on as planned despite the humongous amount you have spent.
Later they will now come and be apologizing and shedding crocodile tears.
Diaspora please take note, no let any service provider do shakara for you now especially this time. There are virtually no work outside, most of the service provider dey hear am big time, i get calls almost every day from vendors soliciting for work to do.
They have classified you people as mugu and you need to prove them wrong, Thank God we have started the cleansing process here. There are 3 of the service provider i have been having doubts about here and thank God one has been proven right here, remaining two, of the 2one has been on AWOL for along time. I still dey watch that one

Generalization is bad and statement like yours above is dangerous.

Supervision fee is an agreement between two adults and their is no way one party can felt cheated when work is done relative to the agreement made.

Most builder here don't see diaspora as such, I know most people on nairaland, are here because they don't want to be cheated by builders, they are here to get good value for money which is OK by me.

People in diaspora are hard working people who don't want to be cheated, sometime they over do it by under pricing services but that is not an excuse to dupe people off their hard earn money.

To set the record straight, I have never work directly for any diaspora here on nairaland, the few people I have good relationship with its mutual, I help them on some issues, even when they come to me directly, I am careful enough to analysis their offer and see if it worth taking.... If such over will undermine my integrity or if the money they are offering will not do what I expected to do, I tell them straightforward that I may not be able to do the job.

I have been quite here for some time because their is nothing to learn or discussed about...

I don't have any friend here apart from PODOSCI, who we meet, work and interact with on daily basis. If some builders are questionable or dubious it is tight to call them out and deal with their brand as deem necessary.

I just pray that people that have lost valuable money get money back to complete their various project

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2016
mavverick:
Larwin

In my small experience, I tend to find that if the person that you are calling for project monitoring can also do the real thing, if they do not supply the materials or bring the workers, they hardly put their all into it, unless you find a really God fearing person, shebi na to dey send picture, remember how 3strike was being sent pictures even though his builder then (BRabus) was no way near site.

The best person to supervise is you yourself who owns the project. Its just that those in diaspora do not have that luxury, thats why the likes of brabus thrive, saying that there are some really good people on here, spyder, segemoore , abdulwastec to name a few, diaspora or no diaspora, the work gets done as agreed.

Good that you report back to a client after you visit thier site, I really like that. It just shows you care. Keep it up smiley

I am really happy that you are moving on greatly with your project sir and all the positive recommendation and acknowledgement about us sir.

Building construction is so complex and as a builder/start up one have to be very careful in other to build a positive image. It is quite unfortunate that hard working people oversee had lost a large chunk of money giving job to contractors here on nairaland but life most go on.

We have had so many chat and I can see how much you suffer before you and now taking the house to completion, I am not the religious type but pray that God will bless you in abundance and make you forget whatever amount you might have lost during the course of the construction.

Having say the above, I think we have some language barrier and expectation gap between contractor's and client here on nairaland (expecially those in diaspora).
Some builder here believes, living in Western Europe or North America equate to having plenty of money and hence they can easily get this money by packaging or been smart.
Most diaspora client behave like big men (which is good, they have work hard for their money and deserve to show it off any how they want), some behave too smart, wanting to get service for free or at bottom price. Combination of the two above is really dangerous.

As a builder I am aware that my image and personality is on the line whenever I take up any job, by doing so, I am straightforward, honest and don't give unrealistic expectation to my clients. I am aware of all these because I know how dangerous it is when people started singing your name for fraud or bad work. Bad reputation kills brand and I working hard to build a big brand.

I have learned a lot from people I had worked for here.
As a client they are diligent, they take their time to check, they communicate better and give people some benefit of doubt.

Most of us here are young in really life and new here, I came to nairaland last two years, I may not know so many of these things that has been going on between you and any of the nairaland builder that might have dupe or messed up your job. Some us don't really like to get involve on issues like this too.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
I thought as much, but deliberately wanted to ask.
from what I know, i don't think its possible to lacquer finished MDF, the reason being that the surface will not allow liquid ingress unless it has been damaged or peeled off. I stand to be corrected though, we are all learning.

gabbytabby:
I use real wood and plywood. That is the spelling lacquer.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 2:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Generalization is bad and statement like yours above is dangerous.

Supervision fee is an agreement between two adults and their is no way one party can felt cheated when work is done relative to the agreement made.

Most builder here don't see diaspora as such, I know most people on nairaland, are here because they don't want to be cheated by builders, they are here to get good value for money which is OK by me.

People in diaspora are hard working people who don't want to be cheated, sometime they over do it by under pricing services but that is not an excuse to dupe people off their hard earn money.

To set the record straight, I have never work directly for any diaspora here on nairaland, the few people I have good relationship with its mutual, I help them on some issues, even when they come to me directly, I am careful enough to analysis their offer and see if it worth taking.... If such over will undermine my integrity or if the money they are offering will not do what I expected to do, I tell them straightforward that I may not be able to do the job.

I have been quite here for some time because their is nothing to learn or discussed about...

I don't have any friend here apart from PODOSCI, who we meet, work and interact with on daily basis. If some builders are questionable or dubious it is tight to call them out and deal with their brand as deem necessary.

I just pray that people that have lost valuable money get money back to complete their various project
Oga abdulwastecx the post is not directed at the honest people. The people the post is meant for know demslves. Your competence is never in doubts, you are one of the few honest service provider here

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 2:35pm On Aug 22, 2016
erico2k2:

What's the reaction of HDF with water ?

Most of us started to move to HDF when it was noticed that MDF has issues with water. Most times the cabinets in kitchens soak water and lose strength. HDF is like your normal plywood and has been compressed to give the type of rigidity to repel water ingress.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 2:38pm On Aug 22, 2016
In light of recent statements and to steer the conversation in a different direction, I think some of what we lack generally is like a builders directory or standard rates that are applicable for services.

I do not believe that most of the people based in diaspora, especially who have worked/work by the hour would be against paying people their dues.

The issue is, what is this standard pay?

How do I know when I am paying a premium, or when someone is cheating me?

To be clear, it's fair for everyone to put a premium on their rates and say this is what I am offering extra that you cannot get by paying Mr. A, X amount.

Until such a time, people will have to wander in the dark, negotiate and perhaps give the impression that they're trying to score a cheap deal.

So, is it possible to have a directory of rates? It can be updated per time as required.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 2:41pm On Aug 22, 2016
You mean proper paved with interlocking or ashplat road ?. Thats nice.
Thats a good idea, means chairman plenty for that your side be that. I wonder how to get a road done in the community by the residents. Personally if they ask me to contribute, I do not mind. Its just that some people will say that, abeg leave am like that jooor.

Has anyone experienced a situation where the landlords on the street constructed the road ? How did they go about this and I am guessing this is only going to be possible if the road is fully occupied or a high occupancy level. How about gutters ?

msogunro:

Yes, there is a road leading to the site. From the express way to the site the road is paved. The paved road ends in the area I bought land which was Virgin land up until this past April when people started buying and clearing their land. My site is in an established neighborhood, but it's just a new section that has been sold.

We have a "neighborhood chairman". When the time comes, he is supposed to get in touch with owners about paving the remaining roads.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 2:48pm On Aug 22, 2016
That one go hard O bros.

Rates ke ? In Nigeria where a bottle of groundnut that has a market rate of say N1,500 when you ask they start from N5,000, if you are not very sharp, cant haggle or you are forming "Brother AMERICA" you will pay that N5,000 like that.

I think this is the beauty of this site, and the GREAT service some of our engineers/users/elders (Madam Gabby springs to mind) who share their project and cost offer us, what I tend to do is look around, get an idea of rates, ask around also and then whatever I get as the consensus plus or minus 10 - 15 % is fine, as long as its reasonable. This is because several factors can come into play which also affects the rates, location also matters.

Some of my workers do not reside in Lagos, others are a mere 5 minutes walk away. I find that this can also affect costs, then the FX thing doesn't help, because that is not in their hands. Also there is a culture of secrecy when it comes to property ownership, a lot of folks in Nigeria are shocked that in most western countries you can get the owner of a property and also how much they paid for it, this info is freely available (in the UK at least), in Nija I doubt if this could ever happen.

Builders directory, who publishes it, who polices it, what is the criteria, quality checks, feedback.
We can have a directory of known NL builders, however I still think its good for each builder to showcase their works, and for every potential client to also do their due diligence. I like to think there is a wealth of info out there these days compared to a few years ago.

battleaxe:
In light of recent statements and to steer the conversation in a different direction, I think some of what we lack generally is like a builders directory or standard rates that are applicable for services.

I do not believe that most of the people based in diaspora, especially who have worked/work by the hour would be against paying people their dues.

The issue is, what is this standard pay?

How do I know when I am paying a premium, or when someone is cheating me?

To be clear, it's fair for everyone to put a premium on their rates and say this is what I am offering extra that you cannot get by paying Mr. A, X amount.

Until such a time, people will have to wander in the dark, negotiate and perhaps give the impression that they're trying to score a cheap deal.

So, is it possible to have a directory of rates? It can be updated per time as required.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2016
mavverick:
You mean proper paved with interlocking or ashplat road ?. Thats nice.
Thats a good idea, means chairman plenty for that your side be that. I wonder how to get a road done in the community by the residents. Personally if they ask me to contribute, I do not mind. Its just that some people will say that, abeg leave am like that jooor.

Has anyone experienced a situation where the landlords on the street constructed the road ? How did they go about this and I am guessing this is only going to be possible if the road is fully occupied or a high occupancy level. How about gutters ?

It's a correct asphalt road. When the time comes, I will definitely contribute. It will increase the value of the land.

There is another section that is also paved. The paving in that area was done several years ago. I was told that if any owners did not pay, they would not be allowed past the gate. They all immediately payed. That is what I was told.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2016
If you move/ask those who know, there are standard rates/units for everything.

Bricklayer will do 70/80 blocks per day and earn X Naira and he needs 2 helpers. Or something like that.

Welder does one ton of iron rod at X amount.

Casters will charge X amount per cubic meter or more easily per Y amount of cement bags.

Now, transportation and maybe temp. Accommodation can then be added in plus maybe a daily stipend for upkeep. These are variables dependent on location.

Some areas may also have levies that need to be paid which may increase the daily rate.

This should be possible, no?

People usually don't like revealing these though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:18pm On Aug 22, 2016
spyder880:

Most of us started to move to HDF when it was noticed that MDF has issues with water. Most times the cabinets in kitchens soak water and lose strength. HDF is like your normal plywood and has been compressed to give the type of rigidity to repel water ingress.
Correct . Cos I just checked our kitchen over here has no eliment of MDF
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by pitzone: 5:23pm On Aug 22, 2016
You really do not need to load your self with costing thoughts, that area of construction has been designated to Quantity Surveyors and since from experience we know that people are not readily interested in getting a bill for their house that they will pay for even though its a service rendered. D' colossal and Q build has come up with assistance in this area of offering a near free consultation services.

Meaning that you tell us what you intend to pay ,we reach a consensus and move forward.

This is a humanitarian way of contributing to the built environment.

Contact us

dcolossalandqbuildlimited@yahoo.com or call us 08062732386
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:15pm On Aug 22, 2016
back2sender:

Oga abdulwastecx the post is not directed at the honest people. The people the post is meant for know demslves. Your competence is never in doubts, you are one of the few honest service provider here

Thank you sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) ... (3665) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.