Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,673 members, 7,837,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (632) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4448872 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (629) (630) (631) (632) (633) (634) (635) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adebaxton(m): 9:49pm On Mar 03, 2017
I hardly find time to criticize, my message is not directed to any individual in particular.
Social Forums is just like an open market which another persons wrong can affect other people who are in the same field due to what might have transpired between other parties.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
kopell:
With due respect sir, why don't you show case your job here first for global scrutiny before criticizing other competence?

He's a proven item, at least to me, on here.

Adebaxton was a contender to build my house but I opted for self-build in order to learn.

But everyone should do their own individual due diligence.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:12pm On Mar 03, 2017
EgunMogaji:

He's a proven item, at least to me, on here.
Adebaxton was a contender to build my house but I opted for self-build in order to learn.
But everyone should do their own individual due diligence.

Agreed. Adebaxton has been on many occasions involved in my build too, he knows my site quite well... Well respected, but always busy.
@Adebaxton, welcome back.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:15am On Mar 04, 2017
mufutau55:

Agreed. Adebaxton has been on many occasions involved in my build too, he knows my site quite well... Well respected, but always busy.
@Adebaxton, welcome back.

Hajji M.

This is life, everyone can see why good name is better then few Naira. Two of my oga's at the top came right away to defend these gentlemen reputation, and to assert to his name. Oga you may hire someone to do all the posting for you if you're to busy, so that many of us that may have not seen your job before, to have opportunity to do so.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koolengrtimmy(m): 1:22am On Mar 04, 2017
hello everyone, Architects in the house kindly assist me with soft copies of a 5-storey building plan for my assignment. I need to do a complete manual structural design from roof to foundation to be submitted on tuesday- NB- am a msc structural engrn student. quote me to give you my email. Thank you guys.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 3:49am On Mar 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I wanted 2x4, 2x6 and 2x12 to actually build the whole structure.

There was no saw there that had a fine blade or a safety guard.
/
Do what I did. I shipped all kinds of equipment for my hobby to Nigeria:
Makita rotary saw(with 12 kinds of blades), sawzall, drill bits, impact wrench, earth auger, plate compactor, electric 15g nail gun, spray kit, heat gun, pallet jacks 2.5T, orbit sanders, angle grinder,cordless concrete vibrator, just to mention a few.

I like the way skilled Mexicans make construction neat and appealing. Buy the equipment and machines and guide Nigerian artisans if you want good end results else be ready for a heart break.
I am an A hole when it comes to details. If I am paying for it, it better be good.
/

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:59am On Mar 04, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
Makita rotary saw(with 12 kinds of blades), sawzall, drill bits, impact wrench, earth auger, plate compactor, electric 15g nail gun, spray kit, heat gun, pallet jacks 2.5T, orbit sanders, angle grinder, just to mention a few.

I like the way skilled Mexicans make construction neat and appealing. Buy the equipment and machines and guide Nigerian artisans if you want good end results else be ready for a heart break.
I am an A hole when it comes to details. If I am paying for it, it better be good.
/

Your last sentence describes me. I'm the don of detail. When I emphasize attention to details to all these Nigerians, they nod and say okay but they still go ahead and do sh1t. I like smooth, straight and well paved wall or wood but it is hard to get such with our artisans. Nigerian artisan just want to rush and deliver the job swiftly without attention to detail. If I should show some horrible burglaries just delivered to my site, you all won't believe it. It is like throwing money away.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:04am On Mar 04, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
Makita rotary saw(with 12 kinds of blades), sawzall, drill bits, impact wrench, earth auger, plate compactor, electric 15g nail gun, spray kit, heat gun, pallet jacks 2.5T, orbit sanders, angle grinder,cordless concrete vibrator, just to mention a few.

/

I'll actually buy a lot of those here in Nigeria but I'm not ready for that yet.

Thanks.

I'm pretty anti shipping anything to Nigeria right now but we'll see.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:05am On Mar 04, 2017
FastShipping:

Your last sentence described me. I'm the don of detail. When I emphasize attention to details to all these Nigerians, they nod and say okay but they still go ahead and do sh1t. I like smooth, straight and well paved wall or wood but it is hard to get such with our artisans. Nigerian artisan just want to rush and deliver the job swiftly without attention to detail. If I should show some horrible burglaries just delivered to my site, you all won't believe it. It is like throwing money away.
\
The sad part is that it takes the same amount of effort, money and time to produce good results.
If you live in US, check Home Depot schedules. They have free classes on tiling, installations, masonry, etc. Armed with the knowledge, you will be better equipped to call our artisans to order. Don't let them kill your joy.
/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:08am On Mar 04, 2017
InvertedHammer:

\
The sad part is that it takes the same amount of effort, money and time to produce good results.
If you live in US, check Home Depot schedules. They have free classes on tiling, installations, masonry, etc. Armed with the knowledge, you will be better equipped to call our artisans to order. Don't let them kill your joy.
/

And in addition you can volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and actually build houses.

It's a good thing that I did my BQ first. The horrors there must never be repeated on the main house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:10am On Mar 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I'll actually buy a lot of those here in Nigeria but I'm not ready for that yet.

Thanks.

I'm pretty anti shipping anything to Nigeria right now but we'll see.
/
That's the best approach. It has to do with the Nigerians' mindset as well. In Phillipines and India, they still use crude methods of construction as in Nigeria. But you will be amazed at how much attention they pay to details. I watched a Phillipino dude construct and erect a pillar for a gate, it was very amazing.
\
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:12am On Mar 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

And in addition you can volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and actually build houses.

It's a good thing that I did my BQ first. The horrors there must never be repeated on the main house.
/
LOL.

It may seem they take bad workmanship as a compliment or do I say trademark.
\
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:12am On Mar 04, 2017
InvertedHammer:

\
/

I've been building same house for four years and I keep changing Nairalander like oil change. Too many incompetents on this forum. They are only into making money and not delivering quality work. Sometimes I keep blaming myself why I dare build in Nigeria. These Nigerians can frustrate you. They like to argue certain things can't be done because "this is Nigeria and not America sir". They are not willing to do things differently. Look at everywhere with boring home designs. SMH.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:16am On Mar 04, 2017
FastShipping:

I've been building same house for four years and I keep changing Nairalander like oil change. Too many incompetents on this forum. They are only into making money and not delivering quality work. Sometimes I keep blaming myself why I dare build in Nigeria. These Nigerians can frustrate you. They like to argue certain things can't be done because "this is Nigeria and not America sir". They are not willing to do things differently. Look at everywhere with boring home designs. SMH.
/
Nobody gives what he has not. Don't blame them. Once you know what you want, don't look face. Simple as that.
May be it is only me, but when I walk into people's homes, I do a quick visual assessment of the finishing in their house. I have been impressed by what I saw mostly in Abuja.
\
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:26am On Mar 04, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
Nobody gives what he has not. Don't blame them. Once you know what you want, don't look face. Simple as that.
May be it is only me, but when I walk into people's homes, I do a quick visual assessment of the finishing in their house. I have been impressed by what I saw mostly in Abuja.
\

In fact, I feel like hitting my head on the wall sometimes when I see interior finishing of 50-60M Naira duplexes here. I see them here everyday and shake my head everyday. Mostly the exterior is between 4-6/10 and interior 1-3/10. I was generous with those scores.

I had to disengage some people from my site two weeks ago as rubbish was going on there. They were doing rubbish and wasting money and materials. They lack supervision. I couldn't let them continue because I have tiles and finishing materials worth 9 million+ I can't let them bastardize.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:35am On Mar 04, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
LOL.

It may seem they take bad workmanship as a compliment or do I say trademark.
\

My current battle is with my plumber.

He's perfectly inept that he can't hide the plastic couplers inside the walls and only show the chrome part of the tap sad

My carpenter wanted to compare himself to an American carpenter and wants me to pay him the same wage.

I of course coached him that Americans build stuff to as little as an eight of an inch on the tape measure grin

We just have a long way to go here. My difficulty is that we see builds by Skimanski and others that are USA level perfect and those houses are built by Nigerians too.

The thing tire me.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adebaxton(m): 7:36am On Mar 04, 2017
kopell:
This is life, everyone can see why good name is better then few Naira. Two of my oga's at the top came right away to defend these gentlemen reputation, and to assert to his name. Oga you may hire someone to do all the posting for you if you're to busy, so that many of us that may have not seen your job before, to have opportunity to do so.
Thank You Sir, Will give it a thought.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 8:23am On Mar 04, 2017
Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that the job has been completed by Muyesky.

Thanks for your kind intervention regarding this issue.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:28am On Mar 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

He's perfectly inept that he can't hide the plastic couplers instead the wall and only show the chrome part of the tap sad

My carpenter wanted to compare himself to an American carpenter and wants me to pay him the same wage.

I of course coached him that Americans build stuff to as little as an eight of an inch on the tape measure grin

We just have a long way to go here. My difficulty is that we see builds by Skimanski and others that are USA level perfect and those houses are built by Nigerians too.

The thing tire me.

In the USA there are a few Quacks as well. The Issue is that Human Beings and Created to adapt to their Environment. So what ever is the trend is what they will follow. Since their are more Professionals oversea, the Artisans tend to Adapt and follow the Trends. In Nigeria, since there are more quacks, Artisans tend to Adapt and follow the Trends. My Oga, I even get quacks that come to work on my site a lot. But after working with me for Long, and they see the tradition here is not that of the trend, they either decide to adapt of back out. Trust me a lot of them back out. The Most important part of my team is the Supervisors. They cannot and must not follow trends. I am always on their case. Yes I am 32. Yes I have a small Body. Yes I look very gentle and reserved. But the moment I step on site, I have this particular Spirit that I invoke unto me, and that Spirit packs a lot of venom, that once my guys see me, they quickly start checking themselves. We are still a long way behind where we want to get to but we will. So is the Nigerian System. its still a Long way behind, but they will get there one day too.

I have resolved not to follow trend. so should people.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mayor78: 8:53am On Mar 04, 2017
Good that you two have sorted and Muyesky has completed finally to your satisfaction. We await similar resolve between Osaz and Olawale even when I will be among those who would prefer to extend the benefit of exhausting all avenues of resolving these cases you agreed isn't fraud offline, and even go the extra mile of warning the contractor that you would go public ever before doing so. There is a fine line between rushing to report contractual negligence in public forum without genuine attempt at above and malicious allegations whether unintended or otherwise.
This view doesn't justify or excuse the arrogant and unprofessional responses from Osaz to some comments here. Well done Muyesky!

marylandcakes:
Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that the job has been completed by Muyesky.

Thanks for your kind intervention regarding this issue.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by marylandcakes: 9:11am On Mar 04, 2017
Mayor78:
Good that you two have sorted and Muyesky has completed finally to your satisfaction. We await similar resolve between Osaz and Olawale even when I will be among those who would prefer to extend the benefit of exhausting all avenues of resolving these cases you agreed isn't fraud offline, and even go the extra mile of warning the contractor that you would go public ever before doing so. There is a fine line between rushing to report contractual negligence in public forum without genuine attempt at above and malicious allegations whether unintended or otherwise.
This view doesn't justify or excuse the arrogant and unprofessional responses from Osaz to some comments here. Well done Muyesky!

Thanks for your comments. Just to let you know that I did warn the contractor several times before going online I didn't just rush and take the matter online.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 9:42am On Mar 04, 2017
Mayor78:

Oga all those you Grammar dey skata my Head ooo. grin grin grin grin grin grin Na lawyer you be? grin grin grin grin. You remind me of one Former House of Assembly member for EDO STATE.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abunafiu(m): 10:31am On Mar 04, 2017
koolengrtimmy:
hello everyone, Architects in the house kindly assist me with soft copies of a 5-storey building plan for my assignment. I need to do a complete manual structural design from roof to foundation to be submitted on tuesday- NB- am a msc structural engrn student. quote me to give you my email. Thank you guys.
Your presentation manner suggests otherwise.
Anyways, do you think you can get answers just like that?.
Msc is no joke. You must have passed tru several hurdles like AutoCAD etc.
Bros Abeg enter studio Joor and make sure you come out in flying colors

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 10:38am On Mar 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

He's perfectly inept that he can't hide the plastic couplers instead the wall and only show the chrome part of the tap sad

The thing tire me.

Well...you have to sieve through a lot of quacks before you get to Skimanski or Spyder880. And that sieving involves losing money and the consequent frustrations. Some people copy pictures and present such as their handiwork. The truth starts trickling in after you commit your fund.
I noticed some people hire artisans from Togo or Ghana. That is not good for Nigerian workers. Some opined that the advent of keke and okada killed what is left of skilled workers--no one has the patience to learn any skill for years. Everything now is a quick fix.

I gave a contract to someone to mount a gate. When he finished, the gate couldn't close. I gave up.
/

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adegbulugbe(m): 10:50am On Mar 04, 2017
FastShipping:

In fact, I feel like hitting my head on the wall sometimes when I see interior finishing of 50-60M Naira duplexes here. I see them here everyday and shake my head everyday. Mostly the exterior is between 4-6/10 and interior 1-3/10. I was generous with those scores.

I had to disengage some people from my site two weeks ago as rubbish was going on there. They were doing rubbish and wasting money and materials. They lack supervision. I couldn't let them continue because I have tiles and finishing materials worth 9 million+ I can't let them bastardize.

You are right @ fastshipping,most. Nigerian contractors are annoying and frustrating but i want to tell you the main problem there is we Nigerians are too insecure in doing job and giving job out,we believe by age and long experience work can been done.I'm a civil engineering just started my life not quite long 5years back.the first contract i will supervise was a shell man residential house in port harcourt which i was underrated cause of size and look.but lovely the man put courage and he was surprised and to the glory of God, i have the 9 shell staff I'm building duplex worth of 50-60m and it all went perfect which i posted some of it on here and you can judge if you can check on my profile.my point here is that we Nigerians caused most.of our problem in job.perfection and come on here and brag to make money but all messed up .Not that they can't deliver a good job,but what they are after most is money.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 11:08am On Mar 04, 2017
FastShipping:

Sir you are right| Getting a quality house finishing is 9ja is quite a challenge, but it is achievable. There are two sides of the coins to this matter. 1. Finishing supervision requires 10 times of the attention you need to supervise a carcass, most client are not ready to pay for finishing supervision that will keep their supervisor on site, the question is why do i have to pay you so much? and the guy that does not want to loose the job will come down in order to get the Job (most of us are found of jumping around running multiple site to make ends meet) and also right equipment and skill required is a challenge as well. 2. Second side of the coins is this; even when client is ready to pay good fee believe me i still can vouch for our builders/engineers including myself that we will spend quality time to achieve a desirable finishing, i think the problem is this 'jump around syndrome'. Apology to my coleaguues i mean no harm but truth be told so that we can find a way out to satisfy our clients.
My Opinion on a way out:
1. Client should please have a vivid finishing taste needed, if possible get a photo realistic 3D that has been toned and reviewed to your taste.
2. Engineers/Builders should take integrity and customer's satisfaction a top priority irrespective of the payment
3. Area of specialization: I build the carcass so i must do the finishing should not be, know your area of strength, capitalize on it and also invest in it , if you are creative by nature and you are in build industry don't husstle for building carcass specialize on finishing, if you are some one that can not stay all day on site please stick to carcass building. (honestly i will rather prefer to do 5 carcass than one whole finishing).

I hope in a short while, some clients will come here and give good appraisal of some of our finishing.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mayor78: 12:14pm On Mar 04, 2017
skimanski:

Oga all those you Grammar dey skata my Head ooo. grin grin grin grin grin grin Na lawyer you be? grin grin grin grin. You remind me of one Former House of Assembly member for EDO STATE.

Skimanski you no go kill person ooo!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 04, 2017
skimanski:

In the USA there are a few Quacks as well. The Issue is that Human Beings and Created to adapt to their Environment. So what ever is the trend is what they will follow. Since their are more Professionals oversea, the Artisans tend to Adapt and follow the Trends. In Nigeria, since there are more quacks, Artisans tend to Adapt and follow the Trends. My Oga, I even get quacks that come to work on my site a lot. But after working with me for Long, and they see the tradition here is not that of the trend, they either decide to adapt of back out. Trust me a lot of them back out. The Most important part of my team is the Supervisors. They cannot and must not follow trends. I am always on their case. Yes I am 32. Yes I have a small Body. Yes I look very gentle and reserved. But the moment I step on site, I have this particular Spirit that I invoke unto me, and that Spirit packs a lot of venom, that once my guys see me, they quickly start checking themselves. We are still a long way behind where we want to get to but we will. So is the Nigerian System. its still a Long way behind, but they will get there one day too.

I have resolved not to follow trend. so should people.

The quacks in the USA are minimal. In over 30 years and many house builds I've never ran into one.

There hasn't be one person on my site that hasn't do be one quackery or the other. Even my Togolese tiller but he blamed it on the local assistants he hired.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:08pm On Mar 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

The quacks in the USA are minimal. In over 30 years and many house builds I've never ran into one.

There hasn't be one person on my site that hasn't do be one quackery or the other. Even my Togolese tiller but he blamed it on the local assistants he hired.

Some artisian don't want to learn... I was on a site with a pool guy. The client was telling him to make some little adjustment but because of the little financial implications the guy refused.. At the end of the day the job was taken off him...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:30pm On Mar 04, 2017
If your project is not with Aventure, hmmmm i pity you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 6:51pm On Mar 04, 2017
olujaidi:
Hello

Does anybody know about this company "Brains and Hammers" and the quality of their work?

Help a brother

Thanks

I have never worked with them but I have seen some projects they are developing around Life Camp/Kado area of Abuja. I have also seen their adverts in different locations in Abuja....they come across as a capable construction and property development company.
You can also check their website to see the projects they have done & recommendations of past clients/associates.
Hope this helps.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 04, 2017
Also, in the US we have as such as a contractor's license. I never hire anyone that doesn't have a contractors license.

There are strict penalties and recourse for shoddy work that is performed by a licensed contractor.

Additionally, we have small claims court to address fraudulent acts. Friends, when a contractor says that he can do something and he doesn't do it then it is fraud. I have this argument with one Alfa like this who did not use the specified type of ceiling cover on the outside of my BQ. He didn't think it was fraud because he didn't steal money sad

I'm going to roof my main house, do the windows and doors (basically seal it from the elements) but I think I will have to be living in Nigeria before I can tackle the finishings. Sometimes I think of just giving up and giving the job to one of the guys on here but then Amokun stories might start.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (629) (630) (631) (632) (633) (634) (635) ... (3679) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.